Non-motoring > Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - zippy
Our charming retired neighbour had a stroke in the early hours of Saturday morning (3AM).

Anyway, despite the emergency call, the ambulance took 2 hours to arrive so the outlook is grim.

I wish they had knocked on our door as I was up but didn't hear a thing as my lounge is at the back of the house. I would have driven him as they don't drive.

Feeling very annoyed. Two hours is just not acceptable.

Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - No FM2R
Do you know why? (The delay I mean)
No, there were no major incidents.

I can only think Friday night pub trouble (we had gone for a walk around the country park on Friday and ended up in a very nice country pub, though as I was driving I didn't drink). It was fully booked so, if that was the case around the town there may have been a few cases of too much drink - but by 3AM I would have thought it would have quietened down.

Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - smokie
Sad to hear.

It seems could just be simply pressure of increased calls. I see they are asking people with broken bones and burns to call 111 rather than the ambulance service in the South West.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57298467
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 30 May 21 at 18:59
 Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - No FM2R
People call ambulances for broken bones?

How ridiculous (in most cases, obviously).
 Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - Robin O'Reliant
One call to what would be classed as a fairly minor incident can ties an ambulance crew up for ages. An elderly neighbour of mine (90 years) had a fall recently, just after being released from hospital after a similar incident after Christmas. She flatly refused to go to hospital against the advice of the paramedics and despite the pleadings of her son and my wife who pops across three times a day to keep an eye on her. By the time they had fully checked her over, arranged for her doctor to visit and settled her down into bed three hours had passed.

Whilst ambulance control centers prioritise calls so the most urgent cases get dealt with first, if all the crews are already tied up with someone they can't be told to leave them and go somewhere else. With only a limited number of ambulances available in any particular area it is not surprising that some unfortunates are left unattended for long periods.
 Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - bathtub tom
I had a (minor) stroke several years ago. SWMBO moaned the paramedics were on site before she could get dressed.

I've no complaints.
A little bit of my neighbours character. I won't go in to too much detail as I don't want to out him...

Years ago, he lived in a small village of which had it's own council.

The council spent a lot of money to change the profile of the green spaces which bordered a national park. This resulted in large animals roaming freely around the village and on to roads, especially dangerous at night.

Some of the changes resulted in motoring accidents involving the animals. The council refused to take action and refused to acknowledge petitions.

So he allegedly removed or rectified the changes and got charged with criminal damage. It went to court.

Many from the village turned out to support him.

He was found not guilty.

Haven't heard how he is yet as his wife hasn't been back yet.

If I was mowing my front lawn, I did his and vice versa. I tended to do it more often because ours needed it. He always brought out a cold tin as a thank you and had a good chinwag.
 Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - Manatee
>>With only a limited number of ambulances available in
>> any particular area it is not surprising that some unfortunates are left unattended for long
>> periods.

That's another way of saying here aren't enough ambulances.

They might have to be rationed at times, but I think targeting the stroke victim isn't the way to do it. If the old lass has to be dropped off at the orspickle, wouldn't that be a better use of the ambulance resources?

No I haven't thought that through but you get the drift.
 Stroke Victim 2 Hours for an ambulance - Robin O'Reliant
>> >
>>
>> They might have to be rationed at times, but I think targeting the stroke victim
>> isn't the way to do it. If the old lass has to be dropped off
>> at the orspickle, wouldn't that be a better use of the ambulance resources?
>>
>>
It would indeed, but if an old dear who is in the early stages of Dementia starts getting hysterical and resisting being put in the ambulance, what do you do?

Latest Forum Posts