Non-motoring > Scottish Independence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Scottish Independence - legacylad
A few of my regular walking group are Scots. Lived south of the border for many years, and only venture back to visit relatives and the occasional holiday.
They are sick to the back teeth of the SNP and seriously think that England should have a referendum about whether it should wave goodbye.
They think Scotland as a separate country would fail miserably for all sorts of reasons....and would be quite happy to see it happen which surprises me given their heritage.
I’d happily see the back of Scotland.
 Scottish Independence - No FM2R
Scots living outside Scotland would have much the same attitude towards Scottish Independence as Brits living outside the UK had towards Brexit.

Whereas Scots in Scotland and Brits in Britain have/had less reason to care about the implications on a personal level.

For very similar reasons.
 Scottish Independence - Lygonos
I doubt an independent Scotland would "fail" any more than England/UK is managing currently.

Or do any better.

Scottish Independence - Zero
Trouble is, scotlands idea of independence is not independence, they would require no borders with the uk, require a common travel area, enter into no customs/duty/import export agreement, use the UK banking system , require UK financial support, - all while being a member of the EU.

NI has shown how well that works.
 Scottish Independence - Falkirk Bairn
Independent Scotland - Greece but without the sunshine

Scottish Independence - Manatee
>> Independent Scotland - Greece but without the sunshine
>>
>>

That could be prophetic in so many ways.
 Scottish Independence - Terry
It's like nothing has been learned from Brexit (whether right or wrong).

Bu11sh:t and emotion can win votes. Positivity is great. But it will not solve the problem of borders, currency, trade, standards, submarine bases, residency etc etc.

Five years on from the referendum, the deal is still not settled or working properly. UK and Scotland has evolved over 400 years, the relationship with the EU over only 40. The EU "deal" was trivial by comparison!
 Scottish Independence - martin aston
As an exiled Scot I think it’s unfair that I will not get a vote if they get another referendum. This assumes the rules are the same as last time. In the event of independence I will have a new legal nationality imposed on me. But non U.K. nationals who live in Scotland can vote and retain their birth nationality.

Will I need to apply for right to remain in England? Who will pay my State Pension? Will the SNP levy taxes on Scots wherever they reside as the US does?

Of course this is selfish view but these are fundamental questions that arise. All without my being allowed to vote.
Latest Forum Posts