Non-motoring > Dry verges Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Dry verges - smokie
I mentioned to a mate the other day that the cement has dropped out from under the lower edges on my roof tiles. It isn't a huge job to fix it but he had just had dry verges fitted, which I'd never heard of before.

Anyone got any experience or opinion of them?

Not a great example but this describes them. www.cabp.co.uk/Plastic-Fascia-Soffit-Cladding/Dry-Verge-Roof-Tile-Cap.htm

NB he was charged £600 for them and the two lads were only there a bit over an hour - and that is in Preston,. not top priced Wokingham!!
 Dry verges - legacylad
Being Preston that’s as long as you’d want to spend there ! Had my gable end verges re cemented last year...scraped out the remaining loose up a flipping long ladder on my sloping drive . Forget H & S. £100 to a builder pal. Took him 3 hours with me nervously looking up.

Never heard of dry verges. Sparrows used to nest in mine. They’ve migrated next door now. Noisy little beggars.
 Dry verges - No FM2R
>>Sparrows used to nest in mine. They've migrated next door now. Noisy little beggars

Parrots are worse. And come in large flocks.
 Dry verges - legacylad

>> Parrots are worse. And come in large flocks.
>>
Yeah but you don’t need to catch as many to make a pie
 Dry verges - No FM2R
I thought that was blackbirds?
 Dry verges - legacylad
Not heard of BLM ? Please keep up.
 Dry verges - smokie
I've got a flat roof from which I can probably reach both of the broken bits without too much trouble - may need a small step ladder on it. But I'm starting to feel that I'd sooner pay someone to do stuff like this rather than me bodging it. And if I went for verges I wouldn't be able or keen to get right up to the ridge.

Looking at how those things fit, it would probably take less time (and last longer) than re-cementing, if you know what you're doing with them!!
 Dry verges - No FM2R
I know nothing about them, but from the look they work best with a modern, and therefore uniform, roof. I think on an old and therefore varying roof they would not fit anything like as neatly.
 Dry verges - BiggerBadderDave
"Never heard of dry verges."

Low estrogen, I believe.
 Dry verges - No FM2R
Oh FFS, I would not spend an hour in your mind. It must be tortured.
 Dry verges - John Boy
I think No FM has got it right. I’ve seen a lot of dry verges in Scotland, but the ones I remember seemed to be on a particular type of interlocking tiles, which result in a very flat surface. I don’t recall seeing those tiles south of the border. Dry verges can look pretty ugly on certain types of tile. I’ve had a lot of trouble on my 70s house with mortar coming out of the last row of tiles, allowing them to lift in gales. The house seems to be particularly vulnerable due to the angle it presents to the prevailing wind. Strictly speaking, these tiles should also be held down with clips attached to the battens. They’ve now been fitted to mine, but the battens had to be extended to allow that. I had a dry ridge fitted at the same time because the mortar, holding the coping, had begun to fall out after being replaced 10 years ago.
 Dry verges - Bromptonaut
Neighbour over the road, house identical to ours, had them fitted when she had her wooden barge boards replaced with UPVC.

They look OK and her tiles have stayed on but then so have ours clipped to the battens.
 Dry verges - bathtub tom
I've seen these, and just thought they were a way of holding down the tiles in the gable end of a Westerly facing gable end. I've also seen clips in a similar scenario.

I've taken an interest in roofs recently, since forking out £several k on scaffolding and other work to have rotten battens replaced.
Latest Forum Posts