Non-motoring > "Refugees welcome here!" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 7

"Refugees welcome here!" - John Boy
What a pleasure it was to hear people shouting that in Glasgow yesterday:

www.heraldscotland.com/news/19301608.kenmure-street-glasgow-locals-rejoice-men-detained-immigration-enforcement-released/
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Duncan
What is the story behind the story?
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Bromptonaut
Seems the guys targeted by the Home Office were good neighbours/friends in the locale and that people were ready and waiting:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/14/a-special-day-how-glasgow-community-halted-immigration-raid

What on earth possessed them to run an intelligence lead operation on the day of Eid al Futr - like going in on Easter Day?

Obvs it's a Guardian perspective and other views are available.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 14 May 21 at 21:27
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Bobby
Here’s a link with the BBC perspective
twitter.com/farrellstephen/status/1392933227858382851?s=21
 "Refugees welcome here!" - sooty123
Rather odd set of events, not sure eid had much to do with it.

I see local politicians jumping on the band wagon as well.
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Biggles
What does a muslim festival have to do with the sikh religion?
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Lygonos
I suspect it is similar in England, but Sikhs have usually become one of the more "integrated" groups of immigrants in Glasgow. It's odd but Glaswegian Sikhs even seem to develop a Weegie accent more than other foreign groups (a bit like Scandinavians).

In saying that, the Muslim communities seem more part of the overall population than I have seen in my (admittedly limited) experience compared to the North of England.

This may explain the strength of feeling in the local community.

(Still plenty of racists, bigots, and anti-multiculturalists in Scotland whatever the "we welcome immigrants" banners suggest)
 "Refugees welcome here!" - Bromptonaut
>> What does a muslim festival have to do with the sikh religion?

Nothing directly but the raid being carried out at Eid seems to have caused ill feeling in a multi-cultural area where a significant proportion of the population are Muslim.

Similar, I guess, to doing it in other cultural environments on Easter Day or at Christmas.
Latest Forum Posts