Non-motoring > Single supplements Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Single supplements - legacylad
One of my pet hates. Fully understandable where there is limited accommodation and high demand.
Pre Covid I instigated a group holiday, approx 8/10 of us, rates were negotiated with the large hotel and a B & B rate of £44 was I thought, very acceptable. Recently, in Scotland, I paid an average of £60 B & B which was my upper limit.
Unfortunately, the person I was sharing with, now cannot go on the trip....so a £40 single supplement per night which I was not aware of. 6 nights so no small sum, coupled with irregular flights, inter island ferries, it’s no longer looking quite so attractive going to the Channel Islands.
Meanwhile in Spain the sun is shining, my walking pals are in shorts and tees, bars and restaurants are open and the midnight to 6AM curfew would be of no consequence. And it’s a heck of a lot cheaper.
 Single supplements - Zero

>> Meanwhile in Spain the sun is shining, my walking pals are in shorts and tees,
>> bars and restaurants are open and the midnight to 6AM curfew would be of no
>> consequence. And it’s a heck of a lot cheaper.

And its currently banned.
 Single supplements - legacylad
No it’s not. The U.K. Govt only advise against travel to Spain.

Several of my English friends have returned to their second homes in Spain these past few months...the only criteria to gain admission, which is subject to change by the Spanish Govt, and will be reviewed again shortly, is that they hold Spanish residencia.

Those who have driven out, although most fly, say that once onboard the ferry, whether to France or Spain, there are no more checks and all borders between both countries and regions are now fully open, although a midnight to 6AM curfew is still in place.
 Single supplements - Zero
Sorry my mistake, its not banned merely a matter of you not having residencia so not allowed in and having to sneak over the border. You wont get back so easily.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 May 21 at 11:26
 Single supplements - sooty123
I dunno I think he'll be fine to go in a few weeks.

You don't a residency either if you're on the exemption list.
 Single supplements - neiltoo
I could be wrong, but I think until Monday it's illegal to leave the country.....
 Single supplements - martin aston
Who knows what’s legal “at the edges” anymore without wading through give websites. It’s all got messy and daft.

For example I can’t visit my 89 year old mum in Edinburgh indoors. I can’t sleep in her spare room that only I ever use. But we could both book into a B&B and we could car share and, it seems, room share. The risks of using a B&B are probably minimal in reality but they are greater than staying in a single old persons house in a spare room. We are both double jabbed and her pillows haven’t been breathed through by unvaccinated strangers.
Roll on next week when I think I can visit and stay again.

Anyway back to single supplements I think there is a case for them to be suspended during the outbreak. You can’t stop people room sharing but you shouldn’t discourage social distancing by charging single supplements.
 Single supplements - Bromptonaut
Current restrictions are here:

www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-declaration-form-for-international-travel

>> I could be wrong, but I think until Monday it's illegal to leave the country.....
>>

It's not illegal, there's a whole list of reasons (and jobs) that mean you can fly in and out of the UK.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 13 May 21 at 16:38
 Single supplements - neiltoo
From Brompt's link to the governments web page:

"It is illegal to:

leave the UK from England without a reasonable excuse
be at an embarkation point where you can travel outside of the UK (including airports, ferry terminals and international rail hubs) for the purpose of travelling out of the UK without a reasonable excuse

You could be fined for leaving, or trying to leave, the UK without a reasonable excuse."

Going on holiday doesn't appear on the list of excuses.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 13 May 21 at 17:04
It's not no, although I didn't say it was.
 Single supplements - Kevin
>Going on holiday doesn't appear on the list of excuses.

Well, a valid excuse is that you are travelling "to avoid injury or illness or escape risk of harm (such as domestic abuse)".

'My missus said that if she doesn't get a holiday soon she's gonna strangle somebody.'
Latest Forum Posts