Non-motoring > Football's social media 2 day boycott. Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 6

Football's social media 2 day boycott. - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/sport/football/56872469

I think they don't get what is going on.

Some scroat sends a message via one social forum or another and says "that jack smith is a black t*** and should go back to the jungle where he belongs".

That same scroat is then labelled as a racist, and this then becomes a racial problem. now, without a shadow of a doubt, that is a racist statement. I would happily take a baseball to the speaker myself, just for saying it.

However, the truth is a lot of the time the writer is not racist, he's just an awful human being. He wanted to insult people, is good at choosing an insult and more than anything wants his insult to create a stir.

And the football industry is giving him what he wants. But because he is a generally abusive t***, rather than a racist t***, he feels empowered, not shamed. He doesn't think he's racist because his mate down the pub is black, and so he doesn't give a **** for your classification of his words.

I don't know, nor have I ever heard of, a person who is a thoroughly decent bloke other than the fact that he is racist. Racism isn't a single, unique thing, which can be addressed. A bigot / bully / racist / whatever is typically, in my experience, thoroughly lacking in decency in everything he does, not just when dealing with people of a different race. Mostly just an inadequate bully which we should ridicule and revile, not try to explain or classify.

Racist comments are one of a ton of discriminatory comments which derive from a thought process based upon bullying and bigotry, with a fair slice of inadequacy, causing the person/writer to want to abuse others; be there balck, white, immigrant, national, fat, thin, blond, ginger, northern, southern, Liverpool, Everton or any other damned thing.

The abuser will attack for any reason, any facet or detail, which belittles someone else and therefore bolsters himself.

We need to attack the lack of respect and decency and not focus on the exact insult used. Because I think that, mostly, we're missing the point.
 Football's social media 2 day boycott. - Bromptonaut
>> We need to attack the lack of respect and decency and not focus on the
>> exact insult used. Because I think that, mostly, we're missing the point.

A journey starts with the first step (or some such saying). Football seems to have a particular issue with racism or at least comments that appear racist. Black footballers such as Thierry Henry have explained how that affects them.

I've no doubt that sexist and misogynist content is equally debilitating to those in the womens' game.

Publicity of this sort won't stop the problem but it will make some posters, or those who 'like' their posts think again.

The main target though seems to be the media companies who carry and facilitate this stuff.
 Football's social media 2 day boycott. - Duncan
I have never understood why sports personalities use "social media". These messages always seem to degenerate into name calling and insults, whether racist or otherwise.

Football's social media 2 day boycott. - Bromptonaut
>> I have never understood why sports personalities use "social media". These messages always seem to
>> degenerate into name calling and insults, whether racist or otherwise.

I suspect that for some, particularly in football, a twitter presence is a contractual obligation.
 Football's social media 2 day boycott. - No FM2R
I should think so, all part of the brand marketing campaign.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 25 Apr 21 at 19:23
 Football's social media 2 day boycott. - Fullchat
Of course history has shown football terraces do seem to attract elements of undesirable members of society. Must be something tribal or they feel they can hide in the masses to spout their bile.
 Football's social media 2 day boycott. - Duncan
>> Of course history has shown football terraces do seem to attract elements of undesirable members
>> of society. Must be something tribal or they feel they can hide in the masses
>> to spout their bile.

Or, because in normal circumstances our social circles would never coincide. We would never meet.
Latest Forum Posts