Non-motoring > Bernie has Madoff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 9

Bernie has Madoff - Falkirk Bairn
Bernie Madoff the fraudster - served only 12 years of his 150 year sentence - he was 82.
 Bernie has Madoff - No FM2R
150 years for stealing money, albeit a lot of it. Clearly far more serious than rape or murder.
 Bernie has Madoff - CGNorwich
Perhaps sometime it amounts to the same.

"At least two investors with Mr Madoff committed suicide after their losses. His son Mark also killed himself on the second anniversary of his father's arrest. "
 Bernie has Madoff - No FM2R
>>Perhaps sometime it amounts to the same.

I guess that's true. It still seems disproportionate though.

Bernie has Madoff - bathtub tom
This story has a stink about it. I believe questions have asked about the giving page before:
tinyurl.com/yj2s93tz
 Bernie has Madoff - Bromptonaut
>> This story has a stink about it. I believe questions have asked about the giving
>> page before:
>> tinyurl.com/yj2s93tz

In what way?

Genuinely curious - no point to make or axe to grind.
 Bernie has Madoff - bathtub tom
>>In what way?

Close on two hundred grand collected.

GoFundMe said it was always clear the money would be placed in a trust, adding: "Our records show the wording of the page has not been changed since it launched on 15 April 2020."
But the BBC found an archived snapshot of the webpage on 16 April with no reference to a trust at all.

The 'friend' who organised the collection was phoned by the BBC. She said she'd phone back, she didn't.

The first story here: tinyurl.com/yjpwx4bh
>> Close on two hundred grand collected.
>> The first story here: tinyurl.com/yjpwx4bh

I've contributed a tenner now and then to the odd crowd fund for public interest litigation but never anything like this for the benefit of bereaved relatives.

Is there any more to it than what was expected to raise a few thousand getting many times that?

If the success has put a weight on the friend's shoulders and thrown her into a media spotlight then reticence my not be surprising. I suspect the husband's nose is out of joint, perhaps he should be involved with the trust but any expectations of a 'share' might need careful managing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Apr 21 at 13:22
 Bernie has Madoff - sooty123
I wonder if there's some sort of issue between friend and husband.
>> I wonder if there's some sort of issue between friend and husband.

That was my take. Even if there was no issue before then a huge sum of money might well create one.
Latest Forum Posts