Non-motoring > Removing bath taps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 21

Removing bath taps - bathtub tom
I can't budge the fixing nut. I've got an 11" spanner (tinyurl.com/dbm3c637 ), but it won't move. It's not slipping, but I'm unable to apply further force while on my back on the bathroom floor. Any suggestions welcome.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 9 Apr 21 at 12:17
 Removing bath taps - No FM2R
Piece of tubing, maybe a large column spanner or even the end of a large ring spanner to essentially extend and give more leverage. Certainly the leverage is what you need. Though do make sure it's not a left hand thread.
 Removing bath taps - VxFan
Have you tried giving the threads a squirt of WD40 (other penetrating fluids are available) in case they're corroded?
They're brass nuts on to brass threads. I suspect there's some sort of plumber's compound glueing them together.
Thinking about it, I've often seen old baths in gardens with the taps still attached. I'm beginning to understand why.
Plan B) Heat.
I thought of that, unfortunately it's a plastic bath - brass taps - conduction.
 Removing bath taps - tyrednemotional
...buy a new bathtub, tom.....
Space for a cold chisel and mallet?
 Removing bath taps - Zero
You are going to have to write the taps off. Get under there with a Dremel and small cutting wheel and cut off the nut
 Removing bath taps - BiggerBadderDave
Dodgy bath. Get a man in.
>> You are going to have to write the taps off. Get under there with a
>> Dremel and small cutting wheel and cut off the nut

That's the reason I'm trying to get the damn things off. It's a shower/mixer that's playing up and I'm trying to replace it. The nut's captive to a soldered fitting on the end of the supply pipes (there's two of them). The other one's the other side of the overflow fitting, I can remove that but I've even less space to undo the other nut. Looking like a bath out job.
 Removing bath taps - hawkeye
>> You are going to have to write the taps off. Get under there with a
>> Dremel and small cutting wheel and cut off the nut
>>

100% right. Double-up the cutting wheels to remove more metal. If you haven't got a Dremel or similar you might be able to get a small hacksaw in there or a full-size hacksaw blade. Talking about leverage is all very well but AFAIK neither Archimedes nor Newton ever had to worry about undoing bath taps in a restricted space. If you are really feeling gung-ho and want to write off the bath as well, drill the bath and cut round the taps with a jigsaw; that should give you some room.

PS make sure the water's turned off before you do anything.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Sun 11 Apr 21 at 13:32
 Removing bath taps - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> PS make sure the water's turned off before you do anything.
>>

Spoilsport :-(
Failing that it's using an old and large column spanner or similar to extend the bar and give leverage.
 Removing bath taps - Clk Sec
>> Have you tried giving the threads a squirt of WD40 (other penetrating fluids are available)
>> in case they're corroded?
>>

Plus Gas sorted it for me when I had a similar problem a few years ago. Wonderful stuff!
 Removing bath taps - helicopter
Screwfix 14361 basin wrench at £5.99 is definitely the proper tool for the job, the item is shown in Marks link above.The one you are using looks similar.

Is the length sufficient to enable you to clear below the curve of the bath so you can use the bar on the bottom for extra leverage?

If that one is not long enough you can get ones that extend .

Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 9 Apr 21 at 15:57
The problem with the screwfix one is the bath is very close to a wall and there's little space to manoeuvre. I can't get a fixed spanner on two flats. The one I've got 'grips' the nut and the grip tightens as force is applied (see my original tiny url). The handle swings out to give around 12" of leverage and once the nut loosens the handle swings down to give more of a turn. Screwfix sell them (14631).

I've approached the problem from the other end by dismantling the tap top end. I believe the problem is a buckled, brass, spring pin (I thought they were called roll pins) that locks the mechanism together. I can't drift it out. If I can source another I'll drill it out. I can find other materials so far, but not brass. I might have to bodge it.
 Removing bath taps - maltrap
I've used a 2 foot length of scaffolding tube over the tap spout, protecting the chrome with old rag, definately a 2 man job
 Removing bath taps - Timeonmyhands
Those basin wrench things in the picture are to tighten/loosen the plumbing connectors not the taps. The taps are tightened/undone with a box spanner #9872H at Screwfix.
 Removing bath taps - sherlock47
For tightening and loosening most 15mm and 22mm back and union nuts on pillar and bath taps.

Back nuts! Taken from SFix page.
 Removing bath taps - Timeonmyhands
Yes they say backnuts but on a basin generally the access is limited by the porcelain.
 Removing bath taps - Fullchat
Is there any movement to be had in the tap backwards and forwards which may start things moving. If I read its a mixer tape which spans both hot and cold then a hacksaw to separate?
The taps a write off.
A neighbour had a tap on the back of the bath half way along. Totally inaccessible from underneath. Fully tiled in all round of course. No spare tiles. One of the valves would not turn off. Fortunately the isolation valves were good and accessible.
The valve would not budge despite all manner of extended bars limited by the potential to damage the bath.
The final solution was to remove bricks from the outer wall, cut through the blocks and gain access to the tap. It was removed to a vice where it could be properly dealt with and the valve replaced.
A simple check by the installers could have prevented a massive amount of hassle.
Latest Forum Posts