Non-motoring > Patio paving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 15

Patio paving - CGNorwich
having a new patio laid and trying to decide what to go for. Originally was looking at sandstone but porcelain perhaps looks a better bet. Non -porous so easily cleaned and algae easily removed. Keeps its looks

Anyone any experience of porcelain paving?
 Patio paving - sherlock47
I would go with 'porcelain' but ensure that the surface is non-slip. (Even more important if not South facing). In the uk I have a mixture of York stone, and composite slabs, both need (too) regular cleaning with the pressure washer.
 Patio paving - neiltoo
I think I've mentioned this before:

www.wetandforget.co.uk/

I've stopped using the pressure washer for the patio for two years now.
It pushes the sand from between the brick pavers - this is essential for the patio stability.

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 6 Apr 21 at 16:59
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
Thanks for the reply but I try to avoid chemicals in the garden. Porcelain tiles will be grouted so no sand problem.
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
Well it is South facing but its shaded for part of the day by a 30 ft oak tree. Pressure washingi somehingI'm keen to avoid. Yes the stuff I'm looking at is all non-slip
 Patio paving - Netsur
I have just had installed a new patio with slate paving, grouted with black mortar and sand. Looks good and non-slip.
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
>> I have just had installed a new patio with slate paving, grouted with black mortar
>> and sand. Looks good and non-slip.
>>

I'll check that out. Slate sounds good. How did the price compare with Porcelain? Have been looking at porcelaiin 2cm tiles at around £30 to £40 per square metre
 Patio paving - Zero

>> I'll check that out. Slate sounds good. How did the price compare with Porcelain? Have
>> been looking at porcelaiin 2cm tiles at around £30 to £40 per square metre

2cm? wow thats almost tesserae, you having a hypocaust built as well, fed by the barbie perhaps?
 Patio paving - sherlock47

>>
>> I'll check that out. Slate sounds good. How did the price compare with Porcelain? Have
>> been looking at porcelaiin 2cm tiles at around £30 to £40 per square metre
>>

2cm - I suppose it is stronger than Meissen :)

What tile size? and how many cuts? The tiler charges will add up!
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
2cm is more or less the standard thickness for outdoor porcelain paving, As I said 25 sq metres in all. Haven't decided on the tiles or the size yet. not too many cuts as its a fairly regular shape.

Natural stone comes up thicker - around 2 to 3 cm and tends not to be as mechanically strong as porcelain and more susceptible to frost damage. Sandstone patriculalry vulnerable as is porous.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 8 Apr 21 at 11:19
 Patio paving - Zero
>> 2cm is more or less the standard thickness

AH! thickness! sorry my mistake (Nah it wasnt just the joke missed the target)
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
>> >> 2cm is more or less the standard thickness
>>
>> AH! thickness! sorry my mistake (Nah it wasnt just the joke missed the target

Yes that passed me by

Should have expected a Roman joke in the Forum.

I expect there will be legions of them now,
 Patio paving - smokie
I've not got one but there's plenty here always caesar opportunity.
 Patio paving - No FM2R
>>I'm looking at is all non-slip

I recommend putting one on the floor, making it wet, maybe throw a few leaves on, see if it is still non-slip.

I wish I'd done that.
 Patio paving - CGNorwich
Porcelain tiles have the benefit that they should all be slip rated, R11 or higher recommended for outside tiling.
 Patio paving - No FM2R
I clearly didn't get the good ones.

I've spent the last two years wondering if I care enough to take a sledgehammer to them. Thing is, the rain is so infrequent here that it's just not *quite8 a big enough problem.
Latest Forum Posts