Non-motoring > Hippo Bags Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 5

Hippo Bags - Ambo
I imagine Covid restrictions and the shutdown of charity shops have led to a backlog of materials
at home that would normally have been disposed of. Some householders, like the Ambos, have been unable to get to waste disposal sites.

Hippo Bags seem a useful alternative. Can anyone using them comment on their experience of them? Two reservations are that they must probably be kept undercover (unless there are drain holes to cope with precipitation) and electrical goods don't seem to be mentioned on the company website - although the range of materials collected is otherwise impressive.
 Hippo Bags - No FM2R
Why would you care about them getting wet? They're not going to collect enough water to matter.

Electrical goods are both mentioned and acceptable (mostly).

What you CAN put in a HIPPO BAG:

Computer Equipment (no monitors, laptops or ink cartridges)
Kitchen Project Waste
Office Products (no monitors/laptops or ink cartridges)
Small Domestic Appliances (examples include microwaves, stereos, VCRs, DVD players, radios, audio/visual equipment, NO monitors, TVs or laptops)

What you CAN’T put in a HIPPO BAG:

Batteries
Fridges and Freezers
Televisions & Computer/Laptop Screens

Hippo Bags - No FM2R
Oh and I have used them. At least I think it was them, I've certainly used a similar service.

It is what it says and useful. Easier than a skip, though mostly smaller and useful if you have rubbish to get rid of. Though I wouldn't be putting things a charity shop could use in them.

I used to do rather well and get rid of loads of stuff on Freecycle. I put no effort in and left stuff on the drive to be taken by someone who was interested either as a result of my advertisement or a passing DAYL.
 Hippo Bags - Lygonos
Have used them three times (last time about 6 years ago).

Got the largest size bags (can fit a bath tub) and filled them with hundreds of kgs of rubble/glass panes from a greenhouse*/general detritus.

The bags aren't watertight and are obviously strong AF.

Cost me about 85 quid which was reasonable for the convenience offered (presumably costs more now).

* - took the aluminium frame to the local scrappies and weighed it in for £20 (payment direct to bank account - cash-in-hand is illegal)

Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 24 Mar 21 at 11:01
 Hippo Bags - Fullchat
Something to do with the vast amount of legitimate church roof lead and cast iron drain covers that were being weighed in. To be sure.
 Hippo Bags - smokie
Round here (and maybe everywhere (there has been a lot of "upcycling" (maybe the wrong term -) where people advertise stuff they don't want and invariably someone else does, all for free. I've seen mattresses, fridges, carpet offcuts etc go, as well as some really decent stuff - a working slimline dishwasher went in no time this morning.

I've got rid of lots of stuff, including 6 sacks of soil, some old games, some electricals (working but old, but do make sure you say they aren't tested), half cans of oil, a box of computer oddments.

Apart from the convenience it saves it all going to landfill, which I like. But you may have too much.

People are doing "covid friendly" pickups - they tell you when they are coming and you leave it outside for them to pick up. Sometimes you get a thanks note afterwards, sometimes not.

Freegle is the one I use tho there are others.

www.ilovefreegle.org/browse
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 24 Mar 21 at 12:02
Latest Forum Posts