Non-motoring > 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 42

14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - VxFan
Got one up in the loft put aside as a spare 2 years ago when it was upgraded with a 19" LCD flatscreen.

Now another one has become redundant as that's now been upgraded with a flatscreen too.

Was thinking of advertising the 14" colour portables on something like gumtree and in a local shop window, but is there still a market for the old style portable TV's, or any TV that has a cathode ray tube come to that?

If so, does £15 each sound reasonable?
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - RattleandSmoke
You can't give CRTs away these days. I am always been offering them on a daily basis. TFTs are so cheap there is no need for them. Also they depending on which part of the country you're in they won't work without some sort of digital tuner either.
>> Also they depending on which part of the country you're in they won't work without some sort of digital tuner either.

We've still got analogue until 2012 down here in the south, and both TV's have scart sockets for freeview boxes.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 21:10
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Old Navy
Try Cash Converters, or Cash Generator. they may give you a few quid for them, I got rid of my CRT TV's through them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 21:21
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Dog
If its a Sony they can still find a buyer, other than that, stick it in the free ads.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Harleyman
If you have one in your area, put it on Freecycle. Remarkable what you can get rid of (and obtain) on there.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Dave_
>> Try Cash Converters

My local FastCash won't take CRT TVs any more. I picked up a 32" CRT widescreen Toshiba (100Hz, subwoofer, lots of connections, >£1000 new) for free off Gumtree last year, it suits me just fine.

Found another this summer, couldn't shift it at the cheque shop, eventually sold it on my local Gumtree for a tenner the night before England's first World Cup match. The buyer wanted a big, disposable telly to put in his garden for his mates to watch the match on. No market for 14" portables at all any more.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 22:05
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Marc
In my loft I've still got my 14" Hitachi 'Instavision' portable that I got in 1983 (replacing a c.1979 12" B&W Hitachi portable with rotary tuner). It's not been regularly used since the mid-late 90s though. Some purple blooming in one corner IIRC.

My main set is a 10 year old 28" JVC CRT - still does me fine. How many perfectly serviceable CRTs have been scrapped purely for the sake of having the latest design/technology? We used to scoff at the Japanese for this kind of disposable culture once.
Last edited by: Marc on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 23:14
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Bigtee
Went on e ebay looking for a sky + box for are lass & was shocked to find one sell for £7.00 in v good working order!

HD has taken over now flat screen hd is here the old dinosaurs have gone to the wall, try the local tip last thats were you find plenty but if you can give it to somebody first.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - rtj70
And most people with a SKy+ HD box probably watch most channels that are broadcast in standard definition. Last CRT I scrapped the tube went and the new tube was more than a new TV. So a new Panasonic was purchased. That is still working some 7 years later (son now uses it).
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Iffy
I think the only place 14" CRTs will still be in regular use is CCTV control rooms - often showing black and white pictures.

There's probably a control room or shop somewhere with a tired, scorched old monitor whose staff would be glad of a new set.

Finding that place would be much harder, but it might be worth advertising the set somewhere in the hope someone will want it.

Seems a shame to throw away something which is in good working order.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - spamcan61
>> And most people with a SKy+ HD box probably watch most channels that are broadcast
>> in standard definition.

SD channels with crap bitrate at that: even on my old 28" WS CRT the difference in picture quality (via RGB SCART) between say Sky Arts 1 and the MTV channels is very noticeable - to me anyway - nobody else in the family notices, but then they're happy with stretchyvision.

I think Sky have actually stopped supplying old school Sky+ boxes now, if you order a Sky+ box you get a HD box without the HD enabled. ( not sure what happens with FTA HD channels)
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - The Nut
We had a clear out earlier this year offered all this on freecycle.

2 x 14" crt monitors
1 x 17" crt monitor
1 x 21" crt monitor
1 x 14" crt tv/video combo

The only thing I could get rid of was the 21" monitor, the rest had to go to the skip.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Chris S
>> We had a clear out earlier this year offered all this on freecycle.

here's the URL if you need it www.uk.freecycle.org/
>> I think Sky have actually stopped supplying old school Sky+ boxes now

That's what we got when we took out a Sky subscription in May. I didn't need HD and so avoided the extra £10pm charge. Still get the free to air HD channels of course. Easier for Sky to have only the one type of box (plus the 1Tb version) with the option for people to upgrade.

Was around sorting a TV problem out at the parents in law... the picture on the Freeview of their Sony LCD is really poor. I told them to get a Panasonic... :-) When they came around ours the other week they commented on our picture being so much better too.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - FotheringtonTomas
Put 'em up for a fiver or give them to Age Concern.

Lots of people still have these things here and there. They work - they're ~as good as a small flat thing - people can use them.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - commerdriver
My daughter has just taken our last one to University with an old digibox we've had for ages
does the job and if it gets damaged/nicked it's no great loss.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Redviper
When we replaced my 32" JVC Widescreen Aprox 4 years old CRT earlier this year we could not give the thing away.

I was loathed to send it to a tip as it was perfect, after various adverts on the sale board/local paper/ ringing round friends In the end it went to a charity that sells furniture to less well off families.

it seems these days that CRT is well and trully consined to the history books, and demand for it is virtually nothing.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - BiggerBadderDave
"these days that CRT is well and trully consined to the history books"

My brother in law is as tight as it's possible to be. The kind of guy who sees a petrol station on the opposite side of a dual carriageway that's a fraction of a smidge cheaper and drives on 4 miles to an exit, then drives all the way back to full up. On a company petrol card.

Last year he had to replace his telly and bought the ugliest, squarest and probably the last CRT set on sale in Poland. A few months before that he replaced his home PC monitor with a goldfish bowl job in beige. Retailers must love people like him.

When I first came to Poland I was in a temporary flat with no arial so I bought a set top antenna for about a fiver from the market. When he saw it, he laughed and boasted that his was only two quid. Later I saw him in his apartment, sitting 12 inches from the screen, dinner on his knee, holding the arial in position while he was trying to watch the news through a fuzzy, flickering screen.
To answer my own question - Yes, the cathode ray tube is dead.

Couldn't even give them away to the local charity shops. They're inundated with them already. The only difference with the two TV's we tried giving them was that they still had the remote controls and operating handbooks.

So off to the tip both TV's went. Shame really as both were still in excellent condition, working and appearance wise.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 12:40
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Bagpuss
Not just CRTs. I suspect the Philips 50" Plasma TV I bought 6 years ago is now probably worth only slightly more than the area of wall on which it hangs. Power consumption so high you can almost see the lights dim when it's switched on and a half hearted attempt at HD compatibility show how far flat screen tellies have developed in the last years. Picture not that good either if I'm honest.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Focusless
I was surprised to see that the local Asda were still selling a CRT monitor (IIRC) a few months ago - I'll check if it's still there next time I go in.
Plasmas are worth nothing now. The advances in LCD and now LED technology render them ancient.

I think TVs have moved on so much and its still moving in five years time 3D will be the standard. Oh and they will all come built in with 802.11N and a 1TB hard drive.

14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Stuartli
>> Plasmas are worth nothing now. The advances in LCD and now LED technology render them ancient>>

Utter rubbish Rattle...:-)))
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Bagpuss
>> Plasmas are worth nothing now. The advances in LCD and now LED technology render them ancient.

Yes, I'll probably keep mine another few years and then go for an LED one. I bought it in 2004 to replace a 20" Sony CRT I'd bought 4 years previously at a discount store as a stop gap. After getting the Plasma I couldn't be bothered taking the Sony to the tip, so it lived in the cellar for a year before my wife got sick of tripping over it and I stuck it on Ebay with a starting price of 1 Euro for pick up only. It eventually sold for a barely believable 180 Euros which wasn't far short of what I'd paid for it. The buyer gave me a top rating in Ebay as well so he was obviously pleased.

I just checked Ebay.co.uk and people do seem to be bidding on CRT tellies with low starting prices.
I would hope to get £10-£15 for my parents 21" CRT if we ever place it, right now there is far more important things to spend money on though like the mortgage and energy bills.

"right now there is far more important things to spend money on though like the mortgage and energy bills."

My 50" Panasonic heats the living room up nicely. It's like getting a twofer.
Haha my Cambridge Audio Azure 640A amplifer is the same. It draws up to 700w at peaks so it keeps my room very warm without having to use the radiator :).

Listening to Iron Maiden saves on heating bills.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - sherlock47

Listening to Iron Maiden saves on heating bills

Come on Rattle, you should spend your time finding yourself a real iron maiden. That could keep you warm in your room as well.
>> I would hope to get £10-£15 for my parents 21" CRT if we ever place it

A 21" Sony CRT (complete with stand) was for sale in the charity shop for £9.99, so it's unlikely R&S. And judging by the dust on it, it had been there some time.
>> 3D will be the standard

What will most watch on them though - 2D ;-) Seriously expecting people to wear the 3D glasses all the time? And what about us wearing glasses all the time - do the glasses fit over your own glasses?

And did you realise to get the new 3D channel(s) on Sky you need all of the other channels first. So that's all 6 entertainment packs, All the Sky Sports, All the Sky Movies and HD Pack. Then you can add on the 3D pack. So that's £51pm on top of the £1200 quid for the TV and a few hundred for the extra pairs of glasses.
I believe Panasonic have developed a system which dosn't require the glasses.

I least I think it was them, they have developed a 20" model for sale in Japan but its very expensive useless at the moment.

3D will need to be a sucess because after LED what can the TV companies invent to make us upgrade all the time? Maybe a paper thin TV?
>> 3D will need to be a sucess because after LED what can the TV companies
>> invent to make us upgrade all the time?
>>

TV Wallpaper!
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - FotheringtonTomas
>> invent to make us upgrade all the time? Maybe a paper thin TV?

Perhaps a paper-thin TV which is powered by the signal itself, or by self-contained energy generation.

However, a great step forward would be to broadcast better things to watch. The amount of crap on TV now is about the only thing that's exceptional.

It might be best to limit TV broadcasts to (say) 8 hours a day, and limit the number of "channels".

I think that 3D TV is rather a gimmick.
>> It might be best to limit TV broadcasts to (say) 8 hours a day, and
>> limit the number of "channels".

Right back to the Early days of the BBC and the IBA?
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - sherlock47
>> invent to make us upgrade all the time?

The next stage must be true 3D (ie not 2D simulation) - a sort of floating holographic object sitting in the middle of the floor. IIRC somebody has already demoed a low resolution version?

dvice.com/archives/2010/06/3d-hologram-vie.php

www.squidoo.com/holographictv
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - spamcan61
>>
>> However, a great step forward would be to broadcast better things to watch. The amount
>> of crap on TV now is about the only thing that's exceptional.
>>
>> I think that 3D TV is rather a gimmick.
>>
Top comment! I agree entirely. I don't care how many pixels there are in the picture, Eastenders is still Eastenders and it's no more entertaining.

I did have a go on the fancy Sony 3D TV demo in Heathrow terminal 5 (not much else to do at 05:30 in there) the 3D effect is like looking through binoculars, cardboard cut-outs moving against a backscene. Most unnatural.
You've hit the problem for the companies on the head - why upgrade. So many people junked serviceable TVs to go Plasma or LCD (LED is just the backlighting method). There is OLED to come.

I saw a demo of the Sony 3D TV in M&S today (someone else had the glasses on). For a proper 3D source the screen was showing two very different images. Simulating 3D with a 2D source hardly changed it.

The problem will be very little 3D content to watch. There's getting more and more HD channels on Sky but how many will then be 3D as well? There's only so much bandwidth.

I think the fact a lot of TVs will simply break due to poor build quality will mean we all replace 'em sooner than later ;-) But then you won't be buying another cheap TV from them.
The bandswith problem will solve its self, in 2002 we were told that TV on demand is very unlikely to happen as ISPs would kick of a stink etc. Now in 2010 TV on demand is almost the norm.

I agree that 3D is just a gimmick but things are moving on so fast. The markets will decide which features are gimicks and which are not.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - Runfer D'Hills
For a bit of thread drift ( who me? ) I think there has been a significant shift in the way we regard TV. I can remember when families all used to congregate in one room to watch TV. They all watched the same programmes and the strongest personalities dictated what was on. It could be argued ad nauseam whether this was a good or a bad thing.

Now though, there are so many other "infotainment" options available that if our household is anything to go by means that individuals graze much more. Often as not my son is playing on his PS3 or his laptop, I'll be working on a PC / laptop or ambling around on the web, my wife still watches a fair amount of telly but usually while doing something else such as ironing for example.

We rarely sit down to fully watch a TV programme together tending to drift in and out of each other's entertainment bearing cups of tea and sharing 5 minutes of conversation on and off throughout the evenings.

For my own part, I struggle to find anything to hold my attention for more than about 15 minutes at a time ( except Ray Mears who is my hero ) and will therefore dip in and out of things. When I do attempt to watch a "whole" programme I usually fall asleep !
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 17:49
I almost never sit down and watch telly, not since PVRs and Hard Disk recorders. I store up the good stuff for when I've got a free moment and watch it, often in FFwd and omitting all the ads. I generally watch it in bed when I finish work 10 pm onwards.

I do think there is some absolutely fantastic stuff on though.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - smokie
"The markets will decide which features are gimicks and which are not."

That's us then.

I don't think 3D will take off if the Car4Players make the market.
 14" portable TV - is the cathode ray tube dead? - bottomlesspit
Saw a demo last year on 3d tv where you do not need to wear the glasses. picture is made up of prisms not pixels.

Was quite impressed, the cost of the set was the same as a standard set, but of course the transmissions are not avialable yet I think.

I would only see 3d tv as being worth it if the screen was the size of the biggest wall in your room, in which case it would have to be projection and would not used prisms ?

Downside was you had to be postioned correctly to get the effect.
Last edited by: bottomlesspit on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 17:23
Latest Forum Posts