Non-motoring > It's a puzzle... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 35

It's a puzzle... - Crankcase
And it's easy. Isn't it?

Answers welcome...

www.puzzlesbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/cookie-banana-clock-puzzle.jpg

It's a puzzle... - No FM2R
The value of a single banana cannot be calculated, only assumed.

Thus any answer is an assumption, not a fact.
 It's a puzzle... - Arctophile
 It's a puzzle... - Arctophile
Or perhaps 14
:-)

Assuming the different time on the clock is not worth anything.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Sat 20 Mar 21 at 15:09
 It's a puzzle... - Runfer D'Hills
50 or 40 if the time is significant.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 20 Mar 21 at 15:31
 It's a puzzle... - smokie
 It's a puzzle... - sooty123
I got 50.
Hang on, it's 28.
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
Answer - Its 2 x 10 chip cookies + 1 clock at 6 + 1 bunch two bananas.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Mar 21 at 15:48
No no no, that final clock is worth 2, the bananas are worth 1 each, add them together to make 4 and times that by the cookie which has 7 chocolate chips to make 28.

Doddle.

;-)
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
Dont give me no no,

yes the bananas are worth one each, each chip on the cookie is one, but the clock can be anything you want from 1 to 12.
The two bananas are not identical so it is pure assumption that their values are the same.

Ditto the clocks.
Look, you may have been good at something once, but just try to accept that, well, you know, the old grey cells might be getting a bit slower.

It's 28

;-)
You've been bitter ever since you realised that your parking judgement had faded.

The answer may well be 28. Equally it may not be.
 It's a puzzle... - John Boy
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
>> Look, you may have been good at something once, but just try to accept that,
>> well, you know, the old grey cells might be getting a bit slower.
>>
>> It's 28
>>
>> ;-)

add up 2 x 10 chip cookies + 1 clock at 6 + 1 bunch two bananas.

There is no way I am going to take a man who says it was 40 or 50 seriously.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Mar 21 at 16:05
Where do you get the six from eh? The clock is worth 2, obviously.

It's 28.

It's a puzzle... - Zero
The answer is 28 but it was expressed in the theme of the puzzle which is the clock is worth the value of wherever the hands are pointing.

< sigh >
 It's a puzzle... - Biggles
Clock=2, banana=1, cookie=7 so 2+1+(1x7) = 10.
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
Its clock (2) plus banana (1) plus banana (1) x 7 bit cookie.

2+1+1x7 There are no brackets round the second banana and the 7 bit cookie

So, just to be clear, I was right?

Classic cameo of real life here, the consultant who has been told there is a problem, can see there is a problem, but prevaricated with all manner of tangential nonsense and still can't say what the answer is for sure. The IT guy who comes up with a formula to solve the problem, but no one can understand the formula and anyway, it's wrong, and the sales guy who can tell you what the problem is, and the answer, but everyone argues with him to try to look important.

;-)))

It's a puzzle... - Zero

>> and anyway, it's wrong, and the sales guy who can tell you what the problem
>> is,

and the price of the solution, without revealing the cost or how he came up with the final price.
Look, it was you who took forever to figure out that it was the time on the clock that gave it its value. I was there ages before.

I admit, I got it wrong at first, but within seconds, less than seconds actually, I'd spotted my error. You, however, were bumbling around trying to come up with theories for nigh on an eternity by comparison.

No shame in it, don't beat yourself up too much, just maybe concentrate a bit more next time eh?

;-)
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
>> So, just to be clear, I was right?

After two vastly inflated numbers, - typical salesman.
...and the consultant still isn't sure. So he'll ask to come back to conduct a more in depth study before recommending that the cookies get made redundant, the clocks are asked go on short time, but the bananas get left alone and that some pineapples are recruited at huge expense in preparation for selling the puzzle.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 20 Mar 21 at 17:41
The consultant is on his third pint of London Pride and second game of rugby and doesn't have the time to explain the problem to the salesman who as usual thinks the world is simple and he knows everything and bends reality to the deal he wants to do.
Meanwhile, the original client has been looking over the proposed solutions, and only one matches with his expectation.
Which was?
 It's a puzzle... - Zero
The consultant suggests that bananas clocks and cookies are a mish mash of solutions and inappropriate tools for todays environment so suggests a new suite called Trifle 2000 which requires teams of consultants to plan and implement.

And then forgot the clock.

But claims it wasnt in scope.
You can make a lot of money out of problems, you need to think carefully before solving them.

Especially since solving problems usually annoys the customer because now he has to find another excuse.
 It's a puzzle... - Manatee
10 would be my guess.
Two people have now suggested that which the client expects...

Though the client was unsure of the validity of the proposal in the first place.
The client was expecting this, in some form, as pasted from the answer page.

I expect it's all flimflam, but hey, it entertained three people for five minutes this afternoon, and like Veronica Franco, that's all I want on a dreary Saturday.

Answer:

Look closely and notice 2 things in above picture:

No. of chocolate pieces on each cookie
Time in clock
Cookie(10 chocs) + Cookie(10 chocs) + Cookie(10 chocs) = 30 ==> Cookie with 10 chocs = 10

2 bananas + 2 bananas + Cookie(10 chocs) = 14

4 Bananas + 10 =14 ==> Banana = 1

2 Bananas + Clock(3 O’clock) + Clock(3 O’clock) = 8

2*1 + 2 Clock(3 O’clock) = 8 ==> Clock(3 O’clock) = 3

Clock(2 O’clock) + banana + banana X Cookie with 7 chocs = ??

Now remember the PEDMAS rule.

Here’s an explanation of the rules given in PEMDAS:

P as the first letter means you complete any calculations in grouping symbols first.
Next, look for exponents, E. Ignore any other operation, and take any numbers with exponents to their respective powers.
Even though M for multiplication in PEMDAS comes before D for division, these two operations actually have the same priority. Complete only those two operations in the order they occur from left to right.
Even though A for addition is in PEMDAS before S for subtraction, these two operations also have the same priority. You look for these last two operations from left to right and complete them in that order.
We have already resolved values of each item which is:

Cookie with 10 chocs = 10 ==> it means each choc piece is equal to 1

Banana = 1

Clock with time as 3’o clock = 3 ==> it means if clock is at 1 o’clock value would be 1

So as per equation values would be:

Equation: Clock(2 O’clock) + banana + banana X Cookie with 7 chocs = ??

2 + 1 + 1 X 7 ==> 2 + 1 + 7 = 10

Answer of above puzzle is 10
That can't be right. Bleh !
:-(
 It's a puzzle... - MD
50?
I admit I just went for 50 immediately as well, before noticing all the odd stuff. Colour me overhasty.
Latest Forum Posts