Non-motoring > America's cup Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 2

America's cup - bathtub tom
Anyone else watch any of it?

I quickly abandoned yacht racing when I was into sailing, as every race seemed to be decided in the committee room afterwards with a well thumbed copy of the rule book to hand.

It's the technology of the boats that gripped me. Raising and lowering foils, that have adjustable flaps. Forty-odd knots in a twelve knot wind. Amazing.
 America's cup - Zero
I have sailed on and off, but Americas Cup yacht racing is a different planet.
 America's cup - henry k
>> Anyone else watch any of it?
>> It's the technology of the boats that gripped me.
>> Raising and lowering foils, that have adjustable flaps.
>> Forty-odd knots in a twelve knot wind. Amazing.
>>
I have watched them all. Breakfast time for the recordings of the whole events.

Ineos is straight in again.
www.skysports.com/more-sports/sailing/news/30786/12250333/37th-americas-cup-ineos-team-uk-and-royal-yacht-squadron-racing-become-challenger-of-record.
There are suggestions that the holder of the cup has too many advantages and a more even playing field is needed.

i have never been sailing but I have a good sailing neighbour who is a Kiwi from Auckland so I not only get educated about the event but also " local " updates from his parents in Auckland.

I also watched the two very recent attacks on the Jules Verne round the world record attempting
to get under 40 days. Mega catamarans and onboard videos.

The Vendee Globe IMOCA 60 nonstop single handed round the world event was also spectacular.
Many of the happenings were reported/ actioned live.
e.g " My boat just folded in two " but a nightime rescue.
A Finnair captain - the last to get back to the starting point. Keeping his boat in " good shape" as he has to sell it to pay back all his savings in it.
He then reported his boat had been capsized three times, once with the mast in the water.
Another sailor just a few hours from finishing , maybe on the podium, was hit in the night by a French trawler.
Many do not publicise bad events at the time and divulge them after arrival.

So many daily reports and great videos, drone shots etc.
33 Professional and also amatuer/adventurers started. 25 finished.
Two of the ladies both hit UFOs , needed land based repairs but recommenced , even though disqualified, back to the end. Other sailors' boats also hit UFOs with heavy damage caused.
One of the British ladies got an allergic reaction to a Portuguese Man of War jelly fish and had to avoid UV light for days.
So many happenings.
Latest Forum Posts