Non-motoring > As read on the internet.... Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 10

As read on the internet.... - No FM2R
Well, we have an "as seen..."

I found this fascinating. A story I had somehow managed to avoid knowing about over the years.

www.bbc.com/culture/article/20210315-the-mystery-of-lost-rock-genius-lee-mavers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZXLLMbJdZ4
 As read on the internet.... - Haywain
The Las were always a complete mystery to me - I hadn't heard of them, then one of the blokes in the band said that we ought to do 'There she goes'. They played the song for me; I had to work out the guitar part, and it entered our repertoire. The guitar part took me back to the Byrds and their signature, jangly, Rickenbacker 12-string sound. I had to make do with a modified 12-string feature on my effects unit.

Thanks for the link - I had never heard of Lee Mavers either, and I haven't heard of the Las since.
 As read on the internet.... - smokie
No wonder I achieve so little each day, forever going down these types of burrow.

Ta for it though.
 As read on the internet.... - BiggerBadderDave
That is one of my favourite albums ever.

I found it wonderfully underproduced, raw and absolutely fantastic. Mavers hated it. Couldn't stop fiddling with it and forever polishing it.

Some kind of tormented artist.

Oh, and criminally short (the album, not him).
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 17 Mar 21 at 17:22
 As read on the internet.... - No FM2R
It is very reminiscent of the Byrds.

Does your band still play? (Apocalypse permitting). Because if that's the sort of stuff you play I may have to come and seek you out.
 As read on the internet.... - legacylad
Like that Liam Neeson chap ? That’s a bit unkind.
I'm afraid the whole band packed up about 10 years ago - and we were only really a 'function band', the lowest of the low on the music scene. We started off as a, mainly, soul band - but then we included a mish-mash of everything. It was great fun while it lasted (about 14 years) but eventually it all became a bit of a chore when 3hrs playing on a Saturday night at a wedding would totally dominate your entire weekend i.e. we would have to leave after Saturday lunch to get to the venue and set up, then you had to clear off for several hours for the ceremonials then, as always happens at weddings, their timings fall to pieces. Eventually, you get on stage at 10 o clock .......... then they want you to play for an extra half hour. Then it's an hour to pack up and you drive home for a couple of hours ...... then it's 4am and you're too whacked to do anything on Sunday.

The big straw that broke the camel's back was when the arthritis in my (left) basal thumb joint became too painful and I couldn't keep going - by 11pm, I'd had enough. I left the band, there were a few changes, but then after another 5 or 6 years, they all called it a day. I joined a folky band after that - they only wanted a rhythm bashing out, but we haven't met for over a year now. I fear that when we do get together again, the arthritis in my right thumb will be such that I can no longer grip a plectrum. Jimi used his teeth, but my dentition is all wrong for that!
 As read on the internet.... - Zero
>
>> started off as a, mainly, soul band -

Now that really really isn't a space I expected you to be in,

>> I joined a folky band

Now that most definitely is.
Is that because you don't know much about me .......... or because you don't know much about music?
 As read on the internet.... - Zero
>> Is that because you don't know much about me .......... or because you don't know
>> much about music?

I know my music, so clearly its the former, Folk fits my mental picture of you as a beer swilling food in your beard banjo player.
 As read on the internet.... - sooty123
A beard can play a banjo, I didn't know that.
Latest Forum Posts