Non-motoring > As Seen on TV - Volume 22   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 102

As Seen on TV - Volume 22 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 23 *****

==============================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then REPLY to this post and REMEMBER to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 16 Jun 21 at 12:01

Your Honour - zippy
Sky, staring the guy from Breaking Bad (sorry I have had a few large of glasses of Merlot from Wairau Cove and can't recall his name).

Judge's son involved in a hit and run. Gets tense. Enjoyable. Violent in places.

Your Honour - R.P.
Watched most of the first episode...sort of didn't gel with us.

Driven: The Billy Monger Story - No FM2R
Now on iPlayer, it was on last night after MOTD2.

What a lad, so impressive. Humbling really. I found it an emotional and touching story of a very real family and a lovely lad.

17 year old Billy Monger is in a Formula 3 accident and loses both his legs. He just doesn't see why that should stop him racing again. This is the story of his attempts to become the first ever amputee to race competitively in a single-seater racing car.

Driven: The Billy Monger Story - Zero
He has a role model to follow, IE one Alex Zanardi possibly the most determined driver ever, having lost both legs in a crash, goes on to test drive F1 cars, win races in Touring cars, getting placed in Iron Man competitions and an olympic gold medalist in Hand Cycling.

Billy would do well to Avoid Alex's bad luck tho

"On 19 June 2020, Zanardi was involved in a serious accident while competing in the Obiettivo tricolore Italian national road race for paralympic athletes. The accident happened on State Highway 146 between Pienza and San Quirico. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Zanardi was descending down a hill when he lost control of his handbike and veered into an oncoming truck, leading to severe facial and cranial trauma. Emergency services attended the scene after his fellow competitors helped to raise the alarm, and Zanardi was airlifted to the Santa Maria alle Scotte Hospital in Siena. He was treated in intensive care for serious head injuries. In September 2020 it was reported that Zanardi was showing signs of interaction but that his condition remained "serious," and that he had gone under several operations to reconstruct his face.In November 2020 Zanardi was transferred to a hospital in Padua which is closer to his home to continue his recovery. In December 2020 it was reported that Zanardi regained his sight and hearing and was able to give non-verbal responses to questions. He was reported to be able was to shake hands on demand.And in January 2021 it was reported that Zanardi was able to speak again following a waking surgery."
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Mar 21 at 13:05

Unforgotten - ITV - Duncan
Series 4 started on ITV, we are up to episode 4. You can catch up on here:-

www.itv.com/hub/unforgotten/2a3372

Good story, bits of a body found in a freezer, it was put there 30 years ago.....

Very well acted.

Unforgotten - ITV - Zero
>>bits of a body found in a freezer, it was put there 30
>> years ago.....
>>
>> Very well acted.
must be one of the hardest roles ever too.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Mar 21 at 14:56
 Unforgotten - ITV - Manatee
The boss likes it. I'm not keen on Nicola wotsit's character who spends too much time whining about having to work 3 months before being pensioned off. Nicola whatever-her-name-is seems to specialize in this type of role. Every time she starts, I stop watching and do a bit more of the crossword, which results in me missing the next bit and having to ask the boss what's happened, then she becomes irritated...

I'm re-watching Life on Mars before it drops off Netflix next month.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 16 Mar 21 at 17:18

Unforgotten - ITV - smokie
Just finished Life on Mars re-watch. For me t's still really not that great in the storyline department but the characters are, well, characters. I always enjoy that "period" pieces trying to cram as many artefacts from the period into the show. We're going to do Ashes to Ashes after we've finished this Bloodlines thing, which hasn't quite lit me up yet - halfway through.

Unforgotten - ITV - No FM2R
>>Just finished Life on Mars re-watch

It must just be me. I thought the first couple of episodes were quite good and then it became rubbish and increasingly rubbisher.

Didn't even bother with Ashes to Ashes.

Funnily enough actor Liz White is in both Life on Mars and the current Unforgotten.

Unforgotten - ITV - R.P.
LoM was of its time, not watched it since the first broadcast, may dip into it if I get bored. Disliked Ashes to Ashes

Unforgotten - ITV - Zero
In hindsight, it was rubbish

Unforgotten - ITV - CGNorwich
And rather silly.

Unforgotten - ITV - Duncan
Last episode last night.

Tidy ending, if rather contrived.

On the whole, enjoyable, very well done.

Unforgotten - ITV - smokie
Yep, watched it and enjoyed it.

Unforgotten - ITV - Runfer D'Hills
We watched it too. My wife likes anything with dead bodies in it. But, what I couldn't get is why the victim's body had been stored in bits in freezers for all that time. Which of the perticipants had supposedly organised and maintained that and why?

>>Which of the perticipants had supposedly organised and maintained that and why?

IIRC there was a fifth person in the car who had died, and had been keeping the body bits. The other four who had been in the car had persuaded him to take the body and hide/dispose of it. When his house was cleared after his death his freezer ended up at the scrappy's with the body in it, hence the investigation.

I don't officially know what happened in the final episode yet although I did hear something that I have not mentioned to the boss, who enjoys this programme more than I do.

Unforgotten - ITV - Runfer D'Hills
Oh ok, I must have missed that bit.

Wouldn't really want that in with your sausages for 30 years though would you?

;-)

Oh, "participants"
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 30 Mar 21 at 09:16

Unforgotten - ITV - Fullchat
Good age for a freezer :)

Bit of TV trivia. The guy whoplayed Liz White's husband, Daniel Flynn, is Jerome Flynn's brother. (Soldier Soldier)

You're welcome. :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 30 Mar 21 at 10:16

Unforgotten - ITV - helicopter
Literally forgot the Unforgotten was on last night, will watch it on catchup later.
Was watching the documentary on Jack Charlton instead.

Unforgotten - ITV - John Boy
I've recorded this series to watch later, but I've seen all of the previous ones. I've liked them because they seem to me like real detective work, rather than all blues and twos and action sequences. I'm also a great admirer of Nicola Walker as an actress and was gutted recently to discover that "River" is no longer on Netflix, just when I was ready to watch it again.

The terror - sooty123
Finished watching it today, I quite enjoyed it. It was laboured in parts sure but overall I enjoyed it, I thought Tobias Menzies was very good. Worth watching.

The terror - Manatee
We watched a couple of episodes last night and the unrelenting misery positively drained me. I could do without the chap with his brain on display as well.

Please say there's a happy ending!

The terror - sooty123
Well what did you expect, it is set in the Victorian era!

The terror - Clk Sec
What an excellent series it is. Watched another recorded episode earlier tonight.

The terror - Manatee
>> What an excellent series it is. Watched another recorded episode earlier tonight.

If I can get to the end I might come to a kinder view, but I find it very one-dimensional. It seems to have very little humour or humanity in it (there is a bit, but it seems to have been pasted in and doesn't touch most of the characters). I thought at one point what a wonderful story it would have been had Patrick O'Brien written it, how much more depth there would have been to the characters and historical context, and how much less dreary the dialogue would be. The episodes aren't very long but they seem interminable because so little happens.

I was really expecting something much better, perhaps that's the problem.

Miann na Maighdinn-mara/Mermaid Tales. - Bromptonaut
This is on BBC Alba on Tuesday evening. Assume it's only available terrestrially in parts of Scotland but it's live or watch again on i-player.

Follows a young woman from West Lewis and her passion for swimming in the local sea. As somebody who loves that part of the world it's worth watching for the scenery and cultural cues.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000t8kj

Gaelic language with English subtitles.

Miann na Maighdinn-mara/Mermaid Tales. - Bromptonaut
>> www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000t8kj
>>
>> Gaelic language with English subtitles.

Tonight's episode was brilliant. Cultural stuff about the Clearances, wildlife and a swim to replicate that of young man and his girl.

Is it just me and Mrs B or does Katie look pregnant in the last shots?

Can’t Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional ,,, - John Boy
... History of the Modern World.

This is a documentary, on iPlayer, made up of 6 one hour and a bit episodes. I watched the whole lot and enjoyed every minute. The style, which suited me down to the ground, is hard to describe, but this review does it well:
www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/11/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head-review-adam-curtis-bbc

Can’t Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional ,,, - R.P.
Thanks for that...currently in in depth reading on Germany between the wars and on their home front during WW2 - the resounding effects of that period are still with us.....and if you re-wind back to the assassination of Grand Duke Franz Ferdinand....the ripples of Princip's gun shot are still echoing around Europe if not the world.

Can’t Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional ,,, - John Boy
I'll be interested to hear what you think then, R.P. It was quite unlike anything I've ever seen before.

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - Duncan
BBC4 Storyville Monday 22nd march.

A story about an 80 year old hired to investigate alleged abuse in a Chilean nursing home. Both amusing and touching.

I am surprised this hasn't been touched upon? Where's our resident Chilean when, for once, you want him?

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000th7v/storyville-undercover-oap-the-mole-agent
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 25 Mar 21 at 10:20

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - No FM2R
>> BBC4 Storyville Monday 22nd march.
>>
>> A story about an 80 year old hired to investigate alleged abuse in a Chilean
>> nursing home. Both amusing and touching.
>>
>> I am surprised this hasn't been touched upon? Where's our resident Chilean when, for once,
>> you want him?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000th7v/storyville-undercover-oap-the-mole-agent
>>

I wasn't aware of it at all. I'll watch it later.

Abuse in Chilean Nursing homes, especially some of the poorer ones, all too often proves to be true.

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - Zero

>> Abuse in Chilean Nursing homes, especially some of the poorer ones, all too often proves
>> to be true.

Not unknown here either.

After my Great Grandmother moved out of her cottage she moved into an Old People's home and very pleasant it was too. I loved her cottage but I visited the home pretty often and it seemed great for her. She ended up very happy and very well cared for. Well, I say "very happy", she was a pretty crabby woman, but she was certainly no more crabby.

When did they get such a bad reputation?

Personally if I need looking after a care home seems a much better idea to me than burdening one of my children.

Out of interest I have a couple of beneficiaries in care homes here. £2,000 - £3,000 per month. Which is roughly 10 times what the might pay in rent in their own home.

With medical care as well they're £5,000 per month.

The ones I've been in, which is half a dozen or so, are modest but very pleasant.

The grotty ones are those that unwanted relatives get dumped in to get them out of the way.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 25 Mar 21 at 18:06

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - bathtub tom
I had a job that involved visiting care homes, my overriding memories were of locked doors, the smell of boiling cabbage and stale urine.
I just hope I'll never end up in one where I can't even go to a pub for an occasional pint.

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - Bromptonaut
>> I had a job that involved visiting care homes, my overriding memories were of locked
>> doors, the smell of boiling cabbage and stale urine.

I had a similar responsibility and similar experiences and later some personal experience.

In late 2008 I had a fortnight's sick leave with an anxiety related complaint. At the time my Mother out Law, with a diagnosis of dementia - probably Alzheimer's, was living independently in a vaguely supported flat half a mile away.

Whilst at home it was evident that she was walking down to our house several times a day. Usually I'd respond, entertain her with tea and chat and either drive or walk her home. Other times I'd let her ring the bell/knock and walk home again as, after all, we were both supposed to be at work.

Either way she'd often be back inside two hours.

On one visit to check on her I caught her washing the plugged in base for her cordless kettle under the tap. She was also impinging on other residents locking herself out of her flat after going to the communal (visitors) toilet rather than her own bathroom. She was getting to the end of being, in any sense, independent.

A tour of Care and Nursing homes was revealing. A lot refused to take somebody physically fit with Dementia. Others smelled of wee or poo and/or were too like prisons. Mercifully one of the places that declined her on physical health grounds mention a place in Silverstone. She was well cared for and happily confused there until she died.

Dying in Silverstone on Grand Prix day 2013 added its own fun and games and provided a family joke that endures.

>> I just hope I'll never end up in one where I can't even go to
>> a pub for an occasional pint.

That's a difficult one:

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/mental-capacity-act-2005/deprivation-of-liberty/
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 25 Mar 21 at 22:51

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - Manatee
The mother of a friend died last year at 105, still living in her own home. She had a live in carer.

If it comes to that, it would probably be my plan of choice if I could achieve it. We have even talked non-seriously with friends about the feasibility of setting up our own retirement home with live in helpers.

I'd be quite interested in the idea as long as it's not a tontine arrangement - one of the friends is the chap whose mother lived to 105.

BBC4 Storyville - Chilean Undercover Agent? - legacylad
>> The mother of a friend died last year at 105, still living in her own
>> home. She had a live in carer.

My ex MiL remains in her big ol house with rotating live in carers. Elderly relatives visit weekly for tea and buns. After a stroke ten years ago she lost most of her power of speech. She can say ‘god strewth’ and two other words. Looking after her full time drove my ex FiL to drink and he died two years ago. Live in carers were arranged and she gets to enjoy the home, and garden, she’s lived in for the past 35 years despite her disabilities.
The financial cost is very similar to being in a home, but we all agree her life quality, such as it is, is 100x better. I visit her every few months when helping clear and tidy the one acre garden which gets badly overgrown.

My mums older sister has been in a home for two years. I’d drive her to visit sis once a week pre Covid. It was depressing. Reminiscent of my late Aunts nursing home. At 98yo on a weekly basis I’d take her to Asda, push her around, then lunch, then a drive in the country where we’d park up and she’d stare at the long range view with an ice cream.
I’m not ashamed to say that when leaving her back at the nursing home 5ish it didn’t help my emotional state.

>> BBC4 Storyville Monday 22nd march.
>>
>> A story about an 80 year old hired to investigate alleged abuse in a Chilean
>> nursing home. Both amusing and touching.
>>
>> I am surprised this hasn't been touched upon? Where's our resident Chilean when, for once,
>> you want him?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000th7v/storyville-undercover-oap-the-mole-agent
>>

This is a remarkable film. As it happens I was vaguely aware of it as "El Agente Topo" but I had never seen it or paid it much attention to be honest, I don't normally pay much attention to indy or arty movies, and I'd assumed that this was both. When I asked my film-freak daughter, she looked at me in disbelief. I should have watched it at the time but I have now.

Are you aware that it is not a story? That it is a documentary.

Maite Alberdi interviewed a number of private investigators in Santiago, one of which was Romulo Aitken. (www.invepriv.cl) His office is right by a bar I use from time to time. Alberdi approached Aitken with an idea of doing an undercover documentary.

When the potential, and genuine, case came in concerning El Hogar de Ancianos SAn Francisco in El Monte, they decided it would suit her purpose.

The interviews (castings) with the potential 'moles' were genuine and the one introduced as Sergio's daughter is indeed his daughter and the meeting was genuine. The heartfelt words to his daughter about how tired and useless he felt after the death of his wife and how this job made him feel alive were his own words.

The bit training Sergio how to use a cell phone, for example, was not only true apparently it actually took all day.

The Care Home had given permission for a documentary to be filmed, they were not aware of the true role of Aitken and thought that Sergio was a genuine inhabitant. I guess they put on their best face, but they weren't scripted.

The interactions you see are real. There are no actors in the film, who you see is who you see. There is no script, it is how it is. The people are so very, very Chilean. The home is a good one, and in my limited experience reasonably typical.

I found it very sad, I did cry at the end, and strangely touching.

I will say the subtitles are pretty good as these things go. Occasionally they miss a bit of tone or significance, but not much.

If you enjoyed it then I very strongly recommend La Once (Tea Time) also by Maite Alberdi

Thank you for shoving it under my nose, Duncan, I would have regretted not seeing it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 26 Mar 21 at 01:18

Trailers:

The Mole Agent / El Agente Topo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTD-B3wZORg

Tea Time / La Once

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7DgzdLbWxc

Line of Duty - Robin O'Reliant
Can anyone actually follow the damn thing?

Line of Duty - Zero
Yeah, LoD junkie here.

Its very simple there is one senior officer in the force who is bent and they still haven't found him/her after 6 series.

>> Yeah, LoD junkie here.
>>
>> Its very simple there is one senior officer in the force who is bent and
>> they still haven't found him/her after 6 series.
>>

I get that bit, but trying to sort out which of the others are bent and which are not is almost impossible. They all seem to run around arresting each other.

And my theory is that Hastings has been downloading child porn and either someone is putting the black on him or he is steering the investigation away from anything that might implicate him. A couple of clues have been dropped since the series began.

Line of Duty - Manatee
Hastings definitely has his secrets, as does Steve, but that's not the same as being bent.

I can't believe they haven't spotted Ryan. Or that Chris, who gets no attention at all, sounds exactly like Dot.

Mercurio knows exactly what he's doing with all these clues and red herrings I'm sure.

I do find myself pondering the ridiculousness of wondering what the 'truth' is when it's all made up anyway.

Line of Duty - Zero
Thats the point and the plot, you throw in lots of "could be's" up front, who probably aint, throw in a "OMG it's them" half way through and finish up with a "Oh it wasn't them - it was ...." at the end, while introducing a sleeper for the next series. While giving hints about the evil 4th man, who wont be found.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Apr 21 at 02:37

Line of Duty - CGNorwich
its all got a bit tedious and same old same old though hasn't it? Gave it up after episode one of the current series. To be honest I think it peaked at series 3 and has been going downhill ever since.

Line of Duty - Bromptonaut
Its nineties pre-cursor Between the Lines is currently being re-shown on BBC4.

Line of Duty - Zero
>> Its nineties pre-cursor Between the Lines is currently being re-shown on BBC4.

good initially, but series three spluttered and it all ended badly

>> good initially, but series three spluttered and it all ended badly

That was my recollection too. Also problematic not mixing Tony Clark with the actor's character in Drop The Dead Donkey.

Line of Duty - John Boy
I gave up at the beginning of the last series. It was just too complicated, but I've always found it difficult to take Vicky McClure's character undercover. She seemed far too much of a creep to take in any superior officers. I recommend the French series "Spiral" which was on BBC4. All 8 series are now on iPlayer. I'm partway through the last one. I find them so exciting that I sit rigid watching and have a major struggle not to binge-watch.

Line of Duty - CGNorwich
"It was just too complicated"

Yes I think that was one of the problems I had with it. After watching five series I just couldn't be bothered to make the effort to follow its contorted plot anymore.

>>
>> Yes I think that was one of the problems I had with it. After watching
>> five series I just couldn't be bothered to make the effort to follow its contorted
>> plot anymore.
>>

It's the contorted plot plot that makes it so compulsive. It's a bit like "Who shot JR", outlandish rubbish but addictive viewing.

After Sunday nights episode it's hard to find a cop who isn't a little bent in some way, even squeaky clean Steve Arnott is trying to dodge the drug testers. Can't wait for next weeks episode and this is from someone who watches very little outside news and sport on TV.

It's absolutely preposterous and utter rubbish.

But totally addictive. Can't wait for the finale.

Line of Duty - Manatee
"Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!" (pron. "don-keh").

Not sure I could bear the perpetual cliffhanging if it wasn't for Adrian Dunbar/Ted Hastings.

Line of Duty - Bobby
It’s nearly H time………

Line of Duty - Zero
The wee little donkey is H

>> The wee little donkey is H

Line of Duty - Zero
WTF - what a crap ending

Line of Duty - smokie
My thought too Z.

Line of Duty - No FM2R
Note, it contains spoilers.

"It was all fine. But, oh my, you should have seen it when it was good."

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/may/02/line-of-duty-review-an-audacious-deranged-reverse-ferreting-finale
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 3 May 21 at 04:06

Line of Duty - Zero
In the social space at least, the country is now united. All feel angry and let down by the ending. Season 7 is now a non starter.

For a time, and at various times, it was the best cop themed show ever shown on TV, which is why the whimpering ending to season 6 is such a punch in the gut.

Line of Duty - Manatee
Yes I'm afraid it turned into Eastenders. It can never end, only meander drearily and repetitively along from one confected cliffhanger to the next.

Given how far fetched many of the scenes have been, the conclusion is probably the most realistic bit. Nobody in authority wants to accept a widespread conspiracy even when it stares them in the face, which is the story of the real 'Bent Coppers' documentary - tons of evidence of widespread corruption in the Met and City police, and only one person went to jail.

What kind of escapism ends with a bucket of cold water and all hope lost? Tcha! (nodding to an absent friend).

I haven't seen it yet as I was watching the snooker so set it to record. Before I went to bed last night I had a look online to see what had happened, on the basis that I work in a newsagents and all the papers would be headlining it so I could not avoid finding out.

And guess what? Owing to a cock up by Menzies who had us down as shut for the bank holiday, we didn't get any delivered :-(

Spiral - Manatee
>>I recommend the French series "Spiral" which was on BBC4.

+1.

I think we have seen them all now.

Spiral - rocket
We tried Spiral a few years back, initially with the idea of improving our French - but the speed and slang killed that very quickly and so we were subtitle readers but still loved it. I think we watched series 2 to 6

I’m planning on binge watching all the way through from the start to the latest, but even lockdown didn’t give a good slot for that

Line of Duty - helicopter
Yes, but to do that you need to concentrate and have followed it from Episode 1 of Series 1.Lots of twists and turns and misdirections in the latest series refer back to previous series.

My favourite viewing at the moment.

Line of Duty - Bobby
In anticipation of the new series 6, we are watching the whole lot from scratch again.
Just finished series 4. Will time it all so that we have watched everything and watch the last episode “live”.
Only way I have a chance of following the storyline.

Line of Duty - Fullchat
Probably the best way.

H.

Ozark (Netflix) - R.P.
Well worth watching, flagged as being the new Breaking Bad. Maybe not as good as BB - but still a taught watch.

Ozark (Netflix) - Pezzer
Seconded I really enjoyed Ozark. Didn't get on with Breaking Bad but preferred Better Call Saul which is a spin-off (or at least some of the characters intertwine).

Prime Suspect - Bromptonaut
Been streaming the original, George Marlow case, programme.

Still gripping TV all but 30 years after the first broadcast.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 Apr 21 at 22:11

The Courier - Benedict Cumberbatch. - No FM2R
The Courier stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Greville Wynne, a British businessman who was recruited by the Secret Intelligence Service to deliver messages to secret agent Oleg Penkovsky in the 1960s.

Not usually my sort of thing, but I really enjoyed it.

The Courier - Benedict Cumberbatch. - Zero
Been trying to get a copy of this, to date its escaped me, where did you view yours?

The Courier - Benedict Cumberbatch. - No FM2R
>>where did you view yours?

Email
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 18 Apr 21 at 23:53

The Courier - Benedict Cumberbatch. - tyrednemotional
>> >>where did you view yours?
>>
>> Email
>>

....that must have been a strange, drawn out experience....

Mank - Zero
Mank

Herman J. Mankiewicz in an alcoholic haze trying to complete the screenplay for Citizen Cane. Wonderfully shot in black and white, socially historic scene setting about Hollywood, the people including Hurst, some cutting lines, Alas Boring as Buck. Shouldn't be but it is.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Apr 21 at 23:28

Mank - John Boy
I tried too, attracted by that beautiful, promotional still, but I couldn't get into it. A positive result was that it made me, at long last, watch Citizen Kane. I enjoyed that, despite seeing a few clumsy edits. At the time it must have been mindblowing.

Mank - Zero

>> watch Citizen Kane. I
>> enjoyed that, despite seeing a few clumsy edits.

The problem I think is finding the right print. It was chopped around and cut so many times post release` that its pot luck if you watch one the way Orsen Welles intended

Mank - John Boy
Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you.

Supernova - No FM2R
colin Firth & Stanley Tucci

"Sam and Tusker, partners of twenty years, are traveling across England in their old camper van visiting friends, family and places from their past. Following a life-changing diagnosis, their time together has become more important than ever until secret plans test their love like never before."

Has to be your sort of thing, I guess, but the acting is great and I really enjoyed it.

Edd China's Workshop Diares - VxFan
OK, not on TV, it's on YouTube.

Edd China has started a new venture, and is calling it Workshop Diaries.

So much better without Mike Brewer in the background IMHO.

All the episodes so far can be found here:

www.youtube.com/channel/UCTnK3UFznEB5bd4vDEFMM4A

Edd China's Workshop Diares - martin aston
Great steer Vx. It was good to see him fault find in a way that a broadcast channel would edit down to a magic solution.

I thought he was a bit cavalier in his attitude to petrol leaking all over the place. In particular having two open dishes of old and new petrol close to each other and setting them alight to compare burning rates looked questionable (fire extinguisher or not). Or have I just become over cautious from years of health and safety propaganda?

And did anyone stick with the interminable ad from the young lady who was going to reveal an amazing bathroom habit to aid weight loss? Presumably a load of xxxx.
Last edited by: martin aston on Tue 20 Apr 21 at 11:43

Bent Coppers - Crossing the line BBC2 - Zero
Second episode of 3 shown tonight, an account of how bent, brazenly bent, the Met police CID was in the 70s a little dramatized with Sweeney Soundtrack bits ( Cmdr Drury one of the most bent was head of the Flying Squad around the time the Sweeney was set) but very good watching specially for someone who was a London goer at the time.

Bent Coppers - Crossing the line BBC2 - smokie
I saw the first but found it a bit underwhelmingly presented. I'm recording the rest (only three parts iirc) but in no rush to watch them...

Bent Coppers - Crossing the line BBC2 - Zero
>> I saw the first but found it a bit underwhelmingly presented. I'm recording the rest
>> (only three parts iirc) but in no rush to watch them...

Its an attempt to be serious documentary, drama and jazz up a pretty dry but serious issue.

E2 was better, when the real sleaze kicked in, and it has some good 70 scenes of london and cars.

Bent Coppers - Crossing the line BBC2 - Duncan
I don't like the style of the presentation. Why do they have to go so down market?

Secrets of the transport museum - bathtub tom
>>I don't like the style of the presentation. Why do they have to go so down market?

The same can be said of the presentation at Brooklands. It seems to be aimed at 4-year-olds. Talk slowly and explain to idiots would appear to be the directions.
Bangers & cash seems to be so much more natural.

Secrets of the transport museum - Zero
Brooklands - know the place well, really well, petitioned Woking and Elmbridge councils, watched it appear from the closure of BAE (after doing a bit of Urban Exploring) stewarded there in its early days, watched one of the panes fly in (and nearly crash) seen the arrival of Concorde (in bits on a truck) seen the move of Cobham Bus Museum onto site, driven up the test hill, and the banking, drooled over 200 Capris parked up there, walk round its fence with the dogs three times a week. If you could cobble a branch line into there and stick a BR9F in there in it its a complete boyhood playground.

How on earth do you convey the birth of British Motorsport & Aviation, the sheer breadth of exhibits, the history of the place in a way that non "peeps like us" understand. You personalise it and dumb it down.

Trigger Point. - No FM2R
If you have the opportunity to see this, then don't. Just don't. 1hr 24mins of my life that I'll never get back.

Truly, truly awful

Deutschland 83/86/89 - rocket
Just finished bingeing our way through these 3 series, on All4. I recommend if you like subtitled stuff.

Reasonable spy plot set as you'd expect late 80s run up to the Berlin wall coming down.
Some good humour, mixed in with a bit of politics and family 'issues', great acting and lots of memories provoked - smoking in offices, no computers/monitors, lots of Trabbies

Deutschland 83/86/89 - smokie
I didn't realise there had been a third series, I enjoyed the first but the second didn't live up it IMO so I'll pass on the third.

But you are right about the subtitled stuff, I find some good stuff by googling Channel 4 Walter Presents

Deutschland 83/86/89 - sooty123
I quite like some of the stuff on all4, bad bankers was good. I think there is a second series out. Agreed about deutschland 83 was very good, 86 was a bit of a let down.

Classic British Cars: Made in Coventry - Robin O'Reliant
Tomorrow (Monday) at 9pm on BBC4.

Looks interesting.

Chance in a million - bathtub tom
Forces TV.

Simon Callow and Brenda Blethyn. I remember enjoying this back in the day. May not appeal to today's 'woke' snowflakes, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's coming to the end of its run, but it will, no doubt, be repeated.

Chance in a million - BiggerBadderDave
"but I'm thoroughly enjoying it"

I'm not surprised, she can't keep her kit on. Legs akimbo flashing her vintage panties.

That's why I thoroughly enjoy it, too.

Friends - The Reunion - No FM2R
Was anybody else a fan of the comedy "Friends"?

I was, though having watched it to death I don't often watch it anymore. It was on at a time in my life which was anything like calm or civilised, though I did spend brief periods in New York from time to time, and kind of wished I was part of that kind of relaxed, seemingly effortless group - fantasy though it was.

Anyway, I just watched the Reunion Show. It's presented by that unbearable a*** James Corden, but fortunately his role in it is small and verging on the irrelevant.

If you were a fan of the shows, and can take the reunion for some light hearted reminiscing, then I recommend it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and there was surprisingly little toe-curling involved. (not none).

Though Matthew Perry does not seem to be doing well and Courtney Cox should probably draw a line under the plastic surgery.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 30 May 21 at 16:45

Friends - The Reunion - zippy
Enjoyed Friends, preferred Frasier.

Loved Cheers, thought Frasier was a bit meh.

Friends - The Reunion - Manatee
>>It's presented by that unbearable a*** James Corden

I thought it was just me.

>> I thought it was just me.

God know, he was irritating when on UK TV, though just about tolerable if the subject was otherwise good. But when he migrated across to US TV and became a ridiculous cackling caricature of himself it became too much to bear.

In particular it is the way that he giggles uncontrollably as if he is party to some 'in' joke which a special friend of his has just cracked in away that only Corden can fully appreciate.

Awful man.

Friends - The Reunion - sooty123
>> Was anybody else a fan of the comedy "Friends"?
>>

Fraid not, I didn't get it at all. The OH likes it though.

Latest Forum Posts