Non-motoring > Bathroom waterproof walling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Bathroom waterproof walling - legacylad
Second bathroom now stripped out so clean slate time. Are there any downsides to waterproof walling sheets in shower areas...I’m changing from a square glass shower enclosure, 21 years old, to a larger walk in shower with 800 x 1800 low profile stone resin tray.
Bathroom 1 refurb had herringbone effect tiling full length of the wall above the long bath. My plumber friend advises against the same as the ‘bits’ of tile, more susceptible to future grout problems because of the herringbone design, are at ground floor level adjacent to the tray.
Assuming I can find colours/patterns of this sheet walling I like, are there any cons. Shower valve will be wall mounted for easy replacement in case of future problems.
Rest of bathroom will be half tiled, White Equipe 10x20 Metro tiles, brick style.

First world problems but keeps me out of mischief
 Bathroom waterproof walling - No FM2R
>>Are there any downsides to waterproof walling sheets in shower areas

You mean that formica-looking stuff?

I think it looks ok but cheap, I took it out the last time I did a abthroom. And feels flimsy to the touch. I'd also imagine that any damage or even discolouration means ripping it all out again.

Any particular reason why you don't simply plaster the wall and then paint it with waterproof paint?
 Bathroom waterproof walling - Manatee
I have 3.5 bathrooms to do and I have been told to waterproof *under* the tiles as tiles and grout should not be considered fully waterproof on their own! You can get special stuff for this either in liquid or sheet form apparently.

As for the wall boards substituting for tiles, I'm not keen - they look a bit cheap to me. And you still have the problem of sealing joints and edges.

Bathroom waterproof walling - Zero
Like everything in this world, you get what you pay for. You can buy very good, not cheap looking bathroom walling, but its expensive. The dark slate ones look best.
 Bathroom waterproof walling - Manatee
>>The dark slate ones look best

I'll check it out. I'm all in favour of cheap if it looks good. Although the good stuff tends not to be cheap!
 Bathroom waterproof walling - Bobby
We have had all 3!
Shower cubicle with tiles that seemed to always leak water no matter how many times grouted.
We got a guy out and he put the wetwall panels on top of the tiles and this instantly fixed the problem. However they were the cheap version that you could push in without too much effort ( think corrugated cardboard)
So when we got a bathroom guy in to fully do our main bathroom from top to bottom ( why remove tiles when you can just remove the whole wall sort of thing) he also removed the wetwall in the shower and replaced it with a much better standard which is more of a laminated solid board rather than the initial type we had.
I much prefer the wetwall to tiles. Less maintenance, we just run a squeegee over it after each shower, and obviously no grouting needed.
If it ever needs replacing, it would be a straightforward job of removing shower cabinet, remove the wetwall and reapply new. Much quicker and much less messier than removing and re-tiling.
Thirty odd years
Ago....we renovated a dilapidated old house and used Mermaid walling.
A good quality, grey marbłe effect wetwall used within the confines of the walk in shower (800x1800) may work well, when contrasted with half tiled walls and an as yet undecided paint colour on the top half. I enjoy painting & decorating, so changing the colour scheme every few years on a wet day isn’t a problem.
Plain white gloss metro tiles (10x20) with bevelled edges to bounce the light around, leave plenty of options for future paint colour changes.
I’m all over it like a rash....
Latest Forum Posts