Non-motoring > Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - zippy
As the title says.

Miss Z just came home to tell me there was a rat in the drive on its back but still alive.

The drive is the better part of 500 ft long so I'm not too impressed (its shared by 9 houses) and it's a couple of houses down.

There is a beautiful looking rat on its back paws moving but clearly unwell and unable to move.

I suspect it's been poisoned or hit by a vehicle.

I get a spade and take its head off.

Feel crap now, hate hurting an animal even if for the right reason.

For someone who sees gross things every day at hospital Miss Z was extremely squeamish and like me, wont abide seeing an animal suffer.
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Runfer D'Hills
Don’t suppose there’s a child wandering about outside looking for his/her pet rat and explaining to people that they’d know it because it likes to roll over and have its tummy tickled?
;-)
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - zippy
>> Don’t suppose there’s a child wandering about outside looking for his/her pet rat and explaining
>> to people that they’d know it because it likes to roll over and have its
>> tummy tickled?
>> ;-)
>>

:-O

Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Zero
Wow you do the ole empathy and support gig well dontcha Runfer. You can get a job with Samaritans now the rag trade is dead.
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Manatee
I misunderstood "on its back paws", and pictured it prancing about on its hind legs.

Not often I see a rat although I see the runs. Probably poisoned as Zippy speculated.
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Robin O'Reliant
I've put loads of rats down. A .177 pellet does the trick, I hate the disease ridden pests.
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Fullchat
I feel your pain.
Swifts repaired and repopulated a nest on a bell box at the rear of the house this summer. Heard some chirping and found a vocal chick had fallen out of the nest, slid down the roof and landed on the grass.
I did leave it overnight hoping nature would take its course which I thought it had until later the next day i heard the familiar chirping sound. I picked it up and saw a couple of tics scurrying back under its neck feathers. Google wasn't much help so I'm afraid it was euthanised.
Horrible feeling.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 12 Feb 21 at 20:40
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - CGNorwich
"I hate the disease ridden pests."

I guess they feel the same about use. Its not fear of diseased rats that have caused me to be more less stuck in my house for months
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 14 Feb 21 at 18:15
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - No FM2R
It's always crap.

Especially if you live with cats. Rats. parrots, humming birds, sparrow-like birds, mice and lizards. Usually dead, often dismantled but occasionally only wounded.

Fortunately, in this matter at least, I am married to a vet. They have no feelings and finish things off quickly and easily without qualms or guilt.

After an argument I usually sleep with one eye open.
 Feeling Crap - just had to put a rat down - Robin O'Reliant
I would never dispatch a rat at close range. Get a spatter of blood on you face and you could have problems.
 Feeling Crap -thread drift back to Covid - sherlock47

>>Fortunately, in this matter at least, I am married to a vet. They have no feelings and finish things off quickly and easily without qualms or guilt.<<

In the UK I believe the NHS declined to allow Vets to give Covid vaccinations - Maybe this is explanation I have been looking for!
 Feeling Crap -thread drift back to Covid - Ambo
I felt the same after seeing off, in my armed days, goat); Gibbon ape; wild board; dog (barely walking but foaming at the mouth), dog (Fred, mine, horribly wounded); cat (ditto). In later days, a pigeon.

Fred was the worst experience.
Latest Forum Posts