Non-motoring > flight radar stuff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

flight radar stuff - Zero
RAF Globemaster just made an emergency landing at Birmingham international, the fire trucks have pulled up along side.
 flight radar stuff - henry k
www.aerotime.aero/27236-raf-c-17-globemaster-makes-emergency-landing-in-birmingham

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/raf-plane-makes-emergency-landing-19825295
 flight radar stuff - Bromptonaut
Birmingham airport Facebook group reports issue as smoke in the cabin.
 flight radar stuff - Manatee
Where did they "dump fuel"? Would they just pump a few thousand gallons of paraffin out over Brum to degrease it?
 flight radar stuff - Bromptonaut
>> Where did they "dump fuel"? Would they just pump a few thousand gallons of paraffin
>> out over Brum to degrease it?

There's no source/veracity for the suggestion it dumped fuel.

According to FR24 it left Brize at 11:05 and was in the air for 35 minutes before landing at BHX.

Track is here:

www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zz175#26ceae84

Normally fuel is dumped over water or uninhabited land with the purpose of bringing the aircraft's weight down . Reducing weight avoids the need for a structural examination which would be required following an overweight landing. Where fuel is being dumped the aircraft would typically fly a 'racetrack' pattern as though in a hold.

Not saying for definite fuel was not dumped but the evidence suggests it landed as soon as possible and at the nearest suitable aerodrome. This would be consistent with smoke in the cabin where getting the aircraft on the ground asap is a requirement.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 12 Feb 21 at 15:23
 flight radar stuff - Manatee
>>There's no source/veracity for the suggestion it dumped fuel.

The phrase was in the Birmingham Mail. Seems unlikely to me too. Maybe it was Wolverhampton.

The usual thing is to fly round and burn it off if it's something like a gear problem but that wouldn't apply with smoke in the cockpit/cabin. In extremis I suppose they would have to chuck it out but the aircraft would have to be well loaded to have to do that.
From memory of the flight path, I think Cannock Chase got defoliated.

Edit Brompy has come up with the flightpath, the loop was shorter than I recalled from live tracking it.

Being a globemaster, its built for heavy and rough landings
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Feb 21 at 15:23
 flight radar stuff - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Being a globemaster, its built for heavy and rough landings
>>

....and hostile, but Birmingham's pushing the envelope a bit.... ;-)
they have survival packs
 flight radar stuff - tyrednemotional
...and translators?....
>> ...and translators?....
>> Yeah they carry sidearms when flying over hostile targets.
 flight radar stuff - sooty123
It may not have needed to dump fuel, they won't always take off with a full fuel load. They do short flights, not that short normally though.
Latest Forum Posts