Non-motoring > Sports officials Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Sports officials - Crankcase
I know nothing whatsoever about sport. I watch the occasional frame of snooker and that's it.

So, you ordinary blokes, what actually IS the difference between an umpire and a referee? Google seems not to be very exact or definitive.

Perhaps they are different words for the same thing, in which case why?

Sports officials - Zero

>> So, you ordinary blokes, what actually IS the difference between an umpire and a referee?

Terminology.
 Sports officials - CGNorwich
I’ll ask my friend. He was an umpire until he retired.

He never lifts a finger now ...
 Sports officials - tyrednemotional
>> I’ll ask my friend. ......
>>
.....wouldn't that then mean he was a referee.....?
Now I come to think of it, aren't there sometimes judges too in something or other? Golf or horses maybe?

Sports officials - Zero
I'm a judge, but not a referee or an umpire.

Defining a judge (in sporting terms) is easy. Like a referee or umpire, you need to know the rules, but at the end of the day, essentially the winner is simply a matter of opinion within those rules.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 8 Feb 21 at 10:29

>> Defining a judge (in sporting terms) is easy. Like a referee or umpire, you need
>> to know the rules, but at the end of the day, essentially the winner is
>> simply a matter of opinion within those rules.

Doesn't show jumping have judges? I thought show jumping was just time and penalties for hitting the poles, so not any opinion involved?

Sports officials - Zero

>> Doesn't show jumping have judges? I thought show jumping was just time and penalties for
>> hitting the poles, so not any opinion involved?

I think show jumping grew out of general horsemanship, which was judged. Take Rugby for example. There is a referee, to apply the rules, and touch judges who make an opinion.
 Sports officials - Duncan

>> I think show jumping grew out of general horsemanship, which was judged. Take Rugby for
>> example. There is a referee, to apply the rules, and touch judges who make an
>> opinion.
>>

And a TMO - Television Match Official - who can either initiate an examination of an incident, or respond to the referee's request to examine a period of play.

As with most things, Rugby Union does this so much better than Association Football.
 Sports officials - No FM2R
>>He never lifts a finger now

[groan]

....but it took me a while.
 Sports officials - maltrap
The job title
 Sports officials - VxFan
>> what actually IS the difference between an umpire and a referee?

The spelling.
 Sports officials - No FM2R
>>what actually IS the difference between an umpire and a referee?

None.

The terms were a product of the game(s)'s development.

The different terms were not adopted depending on their meaning, rather according to the time, place and environment in which the game developed or grew.
Ah, thanks for that. I guess all that's left is finding the derivation of the words themselves, which I'm sure I can actually find out.

Ta.
 Sports officials - Robin O'Reliant
One is a respected figure who enforces the laws of the game, the other is the bar steward in the black.
 Sports officials - CGNorwich
Umpire has an interesting derivation
 Sports officials - Terry
Umpires mediate in sport played by "gentlemen" - cricket, tennis, etc. They are their to HELP the two team captains mutually agree that which is fair.

Referees are used for games played by "louts" - football, boxing, etc. They TELL the combatants what the rules are.

But in the 21st century I suspect the distinction has become opaque as money now dominates behaviour.
 Sports officials - tyrednemotional
....and moderators are there to control the lowest of the low.....
Latest Forum Posts