Non-motoring > Freesat to Freeview Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 36

Freesat to Freeview - Ambo
My 12-yer-old Humax Foxsat HDR pvr is playing up, chiefly I believe because the infrared sensor in the box doesn't pick up signals from the remote reliably. Some commands, such as to play or stop a recording either take ages to work or fail altogether pro tem. Others are normal but I think it is time to change.

However, Humax and Foxsat have parted company and Humax boxes seem only to be Freeview now. Can the satellite dish simply be re-tuned to Freeview?

Freesat to Freeview - Bromptonaut
As far as I understand it Freeview is a terrestrial service on UHF and received with an aerial. On that basis no, you cannot re-tune the satellite to Freeview.
 Freesat to Freeview - helicopter
Have you tried putting new batteries in your remote??
Humax's website still suggests they do Freesat boxes.

uk.humaxdigital.com/product-category/freesat/ - but see below

Currys have a range of Freesat boxes.

tinyurl.com/yxbktdbg

Stuff here seems to explain the Humax situation:

www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/humax-no-longer-manufacturing-freesat-boxes
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 3 Feb 21 at 16:18
 Freesat to Freeview - sooty123
If you like the one you've got have a look at ebay or gumtree for second hand one.
 Freesat to Freeview - No FM2R
>> As far as I understand it Freeview is a terrestrial service on UHF and received
>> with an aerial. On that basis no, you cannot re-tune the satellite to Freeview.

Freesat is satellite transmission to be received through a dish, Freeview is terrestrial broadcast received through a terrestrial aerial.

As Bromp said, no cross compatibility.
 Freesat to Freeview - Dog
Contact Humax, they have been very good to me regarding my Foxsat box:

uk.humaxdigital.com/contact-us/
 Freesat to Freeview - smokie
You've not got another remote kicking around which could be interfering have you? Or something in the way of the remote receiver?

It could be the remote, there are cheap Humax Freesat ones on eBay (less than £7).

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=remote+control+humax+foxsat&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15
 Freesat to Freeview - riddler
Does anyone have one of the current Freesat UHD - 4X boxes? I am thinking about ditching Sky and getting one but I would like to know how they are in day to day use.
 Freesat to Freeview - VxFan
>> My 12-yer-old Humax Foxsat HDR pvr is playing up, chiefly I believe because the infrared
>> sensor in the box doesn't pick up signals from the remote reliably.

There are 2 easy ways to test an infra-red remote controller.

1. Point it at a digital camera. If working you'll see the infra-red LED flashing on the screen. Note however this doesn't always work on more modern digital camera phones. If your phone has a front camera, then flip it over to that as chances are that one will still detect it as it's older technology.

2. Hold it near a radio switched over to AM but not tuned into a station. If working, you'll hear a pulsing noise coming from the speaker(s).
>> 1. Point it at a digital camera. If working you'll see the infra-red LED flashing
>> on the screen. Note however this doesn't always work on more modern digital camera phones.
>> If your phone has a front camera, then flip it over to that as chances
>> are that one will still detect it as it's older technology.

I used exactly that technique when fault finding for the Toshiba telly referenced in another thread. My three yo Moto G phones rear camera clearly showed the IR pulses from the controller.
I used new batteries. In fact I have two remotes. One gives the results I mentioned, the other none, apart from the pvr button which flashes just once. (New remotes cost £31 from Humax direct so eBay is the best source.) Thanks for information on replacements.
 Freesat to Freeview - Stuartli
Humax has, for many years, offered superb set top boxes for Freeview and Freesat. It also offers refurbished examples of its products, along with excellent after sales service.
 Freesat to Freeview - bathtub tom
Pity their remotes aren't durable. I've had two Humax PVRs, the first lasted barely two years before the hard drive gave up the ghost (the remote was showing problems).
I tried another brand, that was even worse.
My current Humax freeview doesn't have the facilities of the previous, althought it's out lasted it (so far). The remote now has several dead buttons that I've been able to work around, but I'm wondering if I should buy a new remote, or if the PVR will die as soon as I do....................
>> The remote now has several dead buttons

It just needs prizing apart and cleaning. Part of the problem is the rubber membrane the buttons are formed from. The oils from the rubber can seep out over a period of time and stop the carbon contact touching the PCB. You Tube clips show how to clean them.
I bought a refurb Humax Foxsat 9 years ago and it's as good as new, as is my 9 year old Panasonic plasma TV.

I'll try that cleaning trick with my Yamaha CRX-550 remote which is giving me gyp.
>>..as is my 9 year old Panasonic plasma TV.>>

I bought Panasonic's first plasma set to feature both Freeview and Freesat HD tuners in April 2010 at a cost of £1,000 (got a £200 discount), which I used until about a year ago - it was rarely off throughout the day as I'm retired.

As usual with Panasonic the display and sound quality was top class but, eventually, I decided to get a Smart TV. So the Panny went to one of the offspring, who rightly rates plasma to be much superior, to replace his own slightly older, smaller screen size Panasonic set.

It's still going strong.....
I did wonder if your Pana plasma was still alive, Stuart. I bought a Panasonic soundbase for mine, but the sound from the TV being so good I rarely use it - unlike a lot of today's TV's.

I'd probably go for a TX40HX800 jobbie if my plasma went kaput, but I don't see any signs of that happening anytime soon.
The sound from the Panasonic was brilliant (bamboo material derived speakers apparently), but only if you were standing behind it.

That was difficult because the set was housed in a recess at the side of the fireplace so the sound, emitted upwards, downwards and to the rear, lost a lot of its impact. So in the end I bought a Roth sound system with sub-woofer that did improve matters to a large extent.
What did you replace the plasma with ? .. What's the betting you went Korean this time :)
I bought an LG 50in UK6950PLB which was on offer at around half-price from a company selling discontinued/unwanted sets, but although it worked well, I never really took to it.

So I gave it to a friend who only had an old set, after deciding a Samsung 50in RU7400 was superior not only to the Panasonic GX800 owned by another friend, but also even better value at a then discount price of £429. Like the plasma Panny and the LG, it also has Freesat.

Currys sold the same set under their usual practice of slighting altering the model number to RU7470, but the RU7400 is now discontinued, although Currys Business have one left at £275!!

Review (I've not had any problems with regard to screen brightness):

tinyurl.com/y34f2g2q

Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 7 Feb 21 at 23:49
>>tinyurl.com/y34f2g2q

It's amazing to see how LG and Samsung have caught up with Panasonic and Sony ... same with their cars.

Well, the Nips copied our cars to begin with so, all's fair in love and war.

I'll probably keep my old plasma 'til it dies. It has started to make a buzzing noise, but other than that it's as good as new really and does everything I want of a TV, in conjunction with the Humax Foxsat receiver.
 Freesat to Freeview - tyrednemotional
>>It's amazing to see how LG and Samsung have caught up with Panasonic and Sony
>> ... same with their cars.
>>

.....Samsung Rexton.......???
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 8 Feb 21 at 09:22
>>....Samsung Rexton.......???

Leave it out guvnor!!
>> It just needs prizing apart and cleaning.

Done that, with small improvement, but not completely cured. From the comments around, it seems to be a common problem.
>> Done that, with small improvement, but not completely cured.

I had the same problem with my Sky remote. Another trick is gluing tin foil onto the rubber pads as the carbon can become worn or deteriorate.

eg youtu.be/e31imYkNHLI
 Freesat to Freeview - Crankcase
Or scrubbing a graphite pencil over it when it's apart.
 Freesat to Freeview - hawkeye
Another trick ...

I've used the stuff sold to repair damaged heated rear windows in the past. You used to be able to get it in Halfords under the Granville name. Much easier than glueing tinfoil.
>>Another trick is gluing tin foil onto the rubber pads as the carbon can become worn or deteriorate.

Thanks for that tip, it worked. I used a hole punch for the foil chads. A fiddly job glueing them.
SWMBO (bless her) wasn't too keen on bits of tin foil on the remote buttons until I explained they go on the back! Memories of the old VHS recorder that had a brass ornament on a piece of cotton hanging out of it to put more pressure on a drive wheel that was slipping.
 Freesat to Freeview - Falkirk Bairn
£7 to £10 buys a new remote on Ebay - why mess trying tin foil, glue etc
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 Feb 21 at 04:26
>> £7 to £10 buys a new remote on Ebay - why mess trying tin foil,
>> glue etc

For the challenge?
 Freesat to Freeview - sooty123
>> glue etc
>>

Rectify before replace.
>> glue etc

Why climb Everest, when any fool can buy an airplane ticket?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 Feb 21 at 04:27
I got one yesterday, "Freesat UHD-4X500". I thought it was a Humax model but Humax helpline says it isn't. I will let you know how I get on with it but first impressions are much improved definition and lighting but harder to operate and the "manual" is just an outline leaflet. Mine is 500GB and cost £199 but there is a 2TB version at higher cost.

The Sky box always used to be rated highest.
It's one of a range offered by Freesat itself and is sold by outlets such as Richer Sounds and Hughes. Highly rated.
 Freesat to Freeview - smokie
My daughter just ditched Sky (cost) but much preferred our Virgin TIVo box. I'd really like to have ditched Virgin for a freesat/freeview solution (and maybe Netflix) but I would still need the internet which makes their package is much better overall than anything else I can find.
One point that some may not be aware of with regard to Freesat is that because it covers all the UK main BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 transmissions (your postcode is used to indicate your area in the configuration), you can easily watch other area programmes such as local news if it is of interest.

These channels can be found from keyng in from 949 onwards until reaching the Freesat information page - easiest way is to check the EPG to find a particular channel number.
Latest Forum Posts