Non-motoring > Looking for New TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 110

Looking for New TV - Bromptonaut
As the caption says we're looking to replace our Sharp 19" flatscreen c2010 with something a bit more advanced.

It has to fit on a sideboard unit where its space is 57cm high and 79cm wide. I think that probably means max diagonal screen size of 32 inches. Usage will be terrestrial Freeview, DVD/HDD recorder as below and Chromecast. Current set was sold as HD Ready and accesses HD content via an LG DVD/hard drive recorder connected to its HDMI port.

I'd like new set to have 'native' HD ie an HD tuner. Modern sets seem to differentiate between HD ready 720 and HD1040 but imply both have HD tuners - am I missing something?

I don't 'get' the screen tech; what are my options in terms of LCD/LED/OLED etc?

Budget is flexible to get what I need but I'm not paying in £k for incremental gains over low/mid hundreds. We're looking to watch a couple of hours a night from sources as above - TV's not a massive part of our lives.

There are options I'd look for like ability to connect via RCA plugs to hi-fi but they're not necessarily dealbreakers.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 22:38
This is one optionthat might suit:

ao.com/product/kdl32wd751bu-sony-wd751-tv-black-41570-108.aspx
 Looking for New TV - No FM2R
Looking at that example I would say that it wouldn't have enough HDMI / USB / etc ports for me. 1080p is the minimum, depending on what you watch you may be better with 4K. Especially if you tend to keep your TVs for quite a while. You need to think about the "smart" bit. What do you want. Catch-up, I suppose, Netflix, Prime etc?

So maybe something like this?

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-40ca890-android-tv-40-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10199520-pdt.html
 Looking for New TV - Stuartli
If the maximum screen size is only likely to be 32in, then 4K might prove to be a waste of time as you will be unlikely to be able to tell the difference when viewing, for example, a 42in or 50in screen.

So an HD set should be adequate, but try and avoid the Turkey manufactured TVs under various brand names - they are not especially good.

If you have a set with only one or two HDMI ports, you can buy switches/adapters on Amazon that will allow up to five or more HDMI ports through a host port. You switch to the required output as necessary. See examples:

www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-HDMI-1-Out-Switch-Cable-Black/dp/B0018DQYQ2

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 01:44
 Looking for New TV - No FM2R
>>If the maximum screen size is only likely to be 32in, then 4K might prove to be a waste of time as you will be unlikely to be able to tell the difference when viewing, for example, a 42in or 50in screen

That is a good point. I would still tend towards the 4K but you would certainly be best to compare some in real life, though I guess that is a bit difficult right now..

Looking for New TV - zippy
OLED screens look great in the shops. The image is made up of millions of LED pixels which provide the image and the light. Plain LCD TVs can look washed out in comparison and use a number of LEDs behind the screen to provide the light. Sets from decent manufacturers can be good.

We have a 5 panel bi-fold door in the lounge and I didn't find OLED bright enough when watching on a bright day so went for a Samsung QLED (and chose the flagship model in 2019). The QLED technology is an improvement on LCD. The pixels are tiny and the colours are very vivid.

The QLED screen is significantly brighter than the OLED sets we compared it against at the same price point which was needed for the room. Purists will say OLED is better and probably is but not in a bright room and not on a price point match.

The set is 75 inches and native 8k and the difference is noticeable, though content is rare. 4k programs are stunning. It weighs nearly 45kg so that's a consideration - the 50 inch it replaced weighed about 5kg.

Obviously it depends on the size of your lounge but if you like watching movies and like the cinema experience go for the largest screen that you can, without being so big that you have to move your head to see all of the screen. The 75 inch does not fill my field of vison by a long shot and from the back of the lounge (19'4 x 12'7) looks like a 36 or 42 inch set in our previous house.

Consider Richer Sounds or John Lewis for TVs as they come with 6 and 5 year warranties respectively.
 Looking for New TV - smokie
Bromps said max size 32 inches...

Argos have 16 (though some are sdmaller) in that size band. www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/televisions-and-accessories/televisions/c:30106/screen-size-range-(in):19-%252D-32in/

I wouldn't have thought it worth paying top dollar for QLED on a smaller screen - somehow I don't imagine you as a big TV watcher anyway *. Out of the ones on that page I'd probably go with one of the LGs for no good reason other than my last couple of 40" TVs have been LG and they seem pretty good, mid-range TVs and they have one with Freeview built in at £219 which seems a middling price.

*EDIT re-reading your post, you already said so :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 08:50
>>..and they have one with Freeview built in at £219 which seems a middling price.>>

Freeview is the standard transmission service in the UK, but more expensive LG and other marques' sets also offer Freesat.

Re OrganicLED. I very much doubt if any manufacturer produces models of this type with such a small screen size (i.e. 32"), but could be wrong.

The difference between LED and OLED benefits can be found in, for example, this feature:

www.techradar.com/uk/news/oled-vs-lcd-led

Looking for New TV - tyrednemotional
>> OLED screens look great in the shops.

I've replaced the main TV in the last year, and was looking at (LG) OLED sets, given the review of the picture quality.

I was about to hit the button on purchase when I (off-chance) hit a review that said, despite being advertised as Smart in almost all functions the 2020 models were shipping without the UK catch-up services, which might or might not be added later (someone had screwed up on the licensing issues, I think). I'm not sure if they've remedied that yet.

Accordingly, I bought a Samsung QLED set, which (apart from a few firmware update "surprises" has been fine).

As for Simon's question, he'll receive widely differing advice/opinions. Here's my three penn'orth.

If 32" really is the biggest size he needs, then 4K is far from critical, and QLED/OLED are out of the question, as they don't start until you're near 50".

Frankly, I'd look at what you really want it to do, and focus on that and keep the price down somewhat - there'll be another technology along soon that will make the expensive stuff obsolescent.

It may not be quite as stylish as you want (since I use it in a second room I'm not concerned) but I have one of these:

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lm6300pla-32-smart-full-hd-hdr-led-tv-10191559-pdt.html

...which is an entirely adequate TV with most of/all the Smarts you're likely to need, and at a reasonable price. It works wirelessly perfectly (the main TV is ethernet connected) though it isn't a huge distance from the router, and the smart interface is fine.

Just an example of something that works well at not too much money, though I'm not sure if two HDMI connections is enough (though the SONY selected is the same).

As far as connecting (to hi-fi) with RCA/Phone plugs out, that has been as rare as rocking-horse droppings for years. Most sets are now only digital out (optical or coax) and to resolve that you would need an external DAC (I used one like that below for exactly that purpose for a time on my last TV, until the hifi was upgraded and an optical input was available).

www.richersounds.com/cyp-aud3-192.html

(Other similar but less costly solutions available from the usual cheap suspects)

>> www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lm6300pla-32-smart-full-hd-hdr-led-tv-10191559-pdt.html

Couldn't understand why that one was so much bigger than the other sets with same screen size - would be too wide for the slot in my lounge. Realised eventually that Currys are showing boxed dimensions.

Doh!!!!
 Looking for New TV - PeterS
I’m surprised that a 2020 LG OLED TV doesn’t come with U.K. catch-up services; the one I bought in 2018 has BBC, ITV, C4, C5, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon and NowTV (whatever that is) apps. Though I tend to just use the BT box for any catch up stuff I need. OLED is certainly a very good picture, but the sound on ours is disappointing. As mentioned above a soundbar makes a huge difference. I did start by connecting the BT box to an amp / speakers (Dennon / Warfedale), but the soundbar makes for a better experience, especially when watching a film.

As an aside, if you avoid OLED, TVs are remarkably cheap nowadays aren’t they...?
I found a receipt for a telly I bought in 1976, it was about £300 with a free B&W portable. Both got all three channels too, and I am pretty sure the colour one had a remote control!! Neat or what??

So much better value now!! (Yet a lot of the time I find myself watching the same three channels, albeit from differing sources!!)

Bromps did mention his RCA out requirement which I assume is to provide improved sound when required.

EDIT: SWMBO says the TV was over £600 not £300! That was a lot of money then!! I remember we bought a new import Hitachi VHS recorder for over £600 too!! I was wasteful when I was young too!!! LOL
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 13:54
>> I found a receipt for a telly I bought in 1976, it was about £300
>>

We purchased our first colour TV in 1988. It was a 20 inch Sanyo with no remote from a proper January sale at a local retailer (still in business) and cost £60 from about £120 I recall, I was earning about £200 a month so it was a lot of money.

I was skint at the time and hated the 12 inch black and white portable we had at the time so saved up and went to queue for it at 6pm on Friday night till the shop opened at 9am on Saturday morning. I got my younger brother a Sony Walkman as a present as well for £15ish.

I recall it was a freezing night and I was joined by a few other people after properly discounted white goods.

He got the TV a few years later when we upgraded to a Sony Trinitron.

Looking for New TV - Manatee
I have a 50" Panasonic which from memory is a 2019 model so fairly recent. I don't bother with the smart facilities, they are slow and clunky.

A 4K firestick does most of what I want - it's a lot faster than the original firestick.

The main UK catch up services can all be accessed, plus Netflix as well as the Amazon content of course. I've even watched some old codger's train videos on it via the youtube app.
 Looking for New TV - Zero
I even shoot them in 4K now, just for you.
>> I’m surprised that a 2020 LG OLED TV doesn’t come with U.K. catch-up services;

...not half as surprised as I was! (Not least because, as above, I already had a cheaper LG set from the previous year, with all the services included). It is/was a stunning omission.

One of the reasons for changing was that those services that existed on my previous TV had become virtually unusable, as the interface had slowed down so much.

Right at the last minute I hit a review saying "No UK TV catch-up apps at launch" which I then confirmed by other reviews. All the LG specs subtly excluded any mention of such services (though they were mentioned for earlier sets which had them).

Digging further indicated that (though it might happen by firmware update) there was no commitment to them appearing anytime soon, if at all.

I've just done a quick search of an example review (which is in fact dated this week, but might be a rehashed version). It indicates that they might have caught up (sic) with iPlayer, but not the other UK-catch up services.

Note the "Cons" in the review headlines.

www.expertreviews.co.uk/lg/1412031/lg-cx-oled-review

Looking for New TV - Crankcase
If I were in the market for a new TV, the number of figs I'd give for apps and smart bits would be none whatsoever, as would any sort of networking.

I'd just put my Fire stick in the back, thus gaining all the catch up services and more for £50. Job done.
Yep, the 4K Firestick was so good I bought two, to add to the original one. So we now have one for travelling without disrupting the lounge and bedroom TVs.

Having said that, I just went for a look at the bedroom TV which is fairly new (though now discontinued, and I can't remember what it cost). It is an LG 24MY49S (so only 24") but has Freeview and all the stuff which we use the Firestick for - iPlayer, My4, ITV Hub, Netflix, Amazon, Rakuten etc and will connect to my local Plex server or just my hub through WiFi. It has a couple of HDMI ports, the RCA ports and optical port, terrestrial aerial and Freeview in. No USB ports that I can see, other than that I'm not sure what else one could want - and it's a pretty decent picture.

For all that, we mostly watch through TiVo, and weren't aware of it's capabilities...!!!

Looking for New TV - PeterS
I thought that’s what I’d bought, but a quick check in my document management system (aka as inbox) shows that I actually bought the LG-LED-OLED55B7V-S. Though I didn’t look at the time of purchase, the reviews were not bad.

www.whathifi.com/lg/oled55b7v/review

And as bonus I thought I’d paid a frankly exorbitant £1,600, but in fact it was £1,324 delivered. So I must be £276 better off than I thought...time to go shopping ;)
>> I actually bought the LG-LED-OLED55B7V-S.
>>

That's an earlier year, possibly even a 2017. AFAIK up to and including the 2019 models had all the catch-up facilities, but the had a monumental fail with the 2020 ones.

You need to rethink the entire system, the smart bit makes a difference if you get it right. The chromecast can go for example and rca plugs to hifi is "with the ark" stuff. The HDD/DVD player is also fading technology - almost redundant.

Getting the smart bit right means using a system thats not propriety, and will go out of support in 4 years. Plus you should embrace the wifi abilities and bluetooth abilities of your new tele.

So given that I'd say Panasonic.

TX-32ES500B

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 08:47
 Looking for New TV - CGNorwich
I’d include a sound bar in the budget. The TV speakers will be poor.
 Looking for New TV - sooty123
www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/Televisions/Sharp-1T-C32BC4KHF2B-32-Inch-HD-Ready-Smart-TV/p/332248?utm_campaign=FY21P6W1b&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email&utm_content=Banner-1&utm_term=sharp

How about this?
 Looking for New TV - Falkirk Bairn
Sharp above is HD ready (720) not 1080!
Is that an issue?
Yes, big difference in picture quality on HD tele on a 32 inch screen, Plus its 720 because its an old design panel,
>> Yes, big difference in picture quality on HD tele on a 32 inch screen, Plus
>> its 720 because its an old design panel,
>>

I was wondering if it'd make a difference to the OP who's not massively into the technology behind TVs and not a huge TV viewer.
>> I was wondering if it'd make a difference to the OP who's not massively into
>> the technology behind TVs and not a huge TV viewer.

The honest answer from the OP is that he doesn't know.

I can tell the difference between SD and HD on the current TV. Will swap sources to the digibox so as to view programmes like Attenborough documentaries where HD adds value. I assume HD on present set is 720. It was sold as HD ready ten years ago but at that time HD ready implied it could resolve HD via HDMI but had no on board capacity for Freeview HD.

Given there's not much difference in price and the comments of others here I'm inclined to go for full HD 1040.

A lot of stuff is out of stock ATM.
We have a a 28 inch tv. It's about ten years old, a Panasonic LCD, and we've always been fine with it.

Anyway, it was sold as HD ready in the day, which actually means it can do 720p and 1080i (not 1080p).

I've always run it in 1080i, because obviously the bigger number is better right? Last week I stumbled over some YouTube stuff that earnestly told me that 720p was in fact superior to 1080i for reasons I forgot as soon his lips stopped moving, and I should switch immediately.

I switched it to 720p, and I have to say that from two feet away it's almost, with a following wind and some squinting, possible to tell it's a hint sharper. Perhaps.

But we still think it's a great picture and are happy with it, viewing from ten feet. Mind you, neither of us have ever actually seen 1080p in action, never mind anything else.

If we can count the hairs on David Attenborough's head (six I think) then ok, and we can. Good enough.
 Looking for New TV - sherlock47
I have a smart Android (Sony) 49 which is good, but the integrated Android is slow (and restrictive) when compared to using the 4k Firestick. It also has Youview built in which disables the satellite interface when selected as an option at start configure time. Youview relies on built in IPlayer which can be slow to start.

I find that I use the Firestick most of the time for catch up services (it can be controlled by the Sony Remote)- however SWMBO still never seems to understand where things are are coming from. It all depends on how much education you are willing to undertake.
 Looking for New TV - Falkirk Bairn
My 50" Panasonic was quite pricey when new £1000 - bought for SKY sports4K football.
Smart TV, 4K with Firefox ................ it works but the Firefox has not been upgraded and is stuck at the level when I bought the TV about 5 years ago.

Bought a 4K Firestick in October - much better than the "smart tv" good value at £50.
I had been thinking of a new TV but met resistance from the Senior Manager.

Now flip between SKY & the Firestick (4K Netflix, Prime, AppleTV) depending on what I am watching - SKY's BBC I-player/ All4 etc is very limited in what it chooses to show in their back catalogue.
 Looking for New TV - Runfer D'Hills
We have three. One in the the sitting room, one in the kitchen and one in my son's bedroom. My wife and son know how to work them but I tend not to interfere. If they could come up with a set that prevented me from falling asleep...
 Looking for New TV - martin aston

Others have suggested getting around a soundbar too. This is a good steer. However if you don’t want clutter and prefer to stick with the onboard speakers then try to hear them before buying. Some are dreadful and will quickly drive you nuts.
The best I have heard were on a budget Sharp set but it was 40”. Sharp were using Hartman Kardon speakers then and, if they still do, they should be on your list
When we can get out again then Richer sounds are worth a visit. I’ve bought there regularly over the years. They have great knowledge, they will not upsell for sales commission and will give honest advice.
>> however SWMBO still never seems to understand
>> where things are are coming from. It all depends on how much education you are
>> willing to undertake.

I have that issue too. Typically I'll want to go from the tuner to digibox (HDMI 1) for HD and divert sound to the Hi-Fi to be greeted with a loud exclamation asking what the (expletive) I'm doing.......
Well, as long as like someone I know, she's not trying to change the channel with her glasses case you'll be fine.
I recall a recent article in Which that suggests smaller screen TVs do not have the improved screen tech found in larger models.

I do notice picture quality so it would likely be an issue for me.

www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/why-small-tvs-arent-good-enough-anymore/

To me, watching SD or 720p images is like going back to VHS from DVD or DVD from BluRay.

>> To me, watching SD or 720p images is like going back to VHS from DVD
>> or DVD from BluRay.

Funny you say that - we have a whole bunch of stuff in our extensive audio visual entertainment library that I digitised from VHS, or even manky Youtube.

When one of those starts, it's a bit "you what?" but after two minutes you just accept it and don't notice anymore. Hopefully what you watch is of sufficient interest to make you forget what it actually looks like after a moment.
>>”you what?”

True, I enjoy the Talking Pictures channel which is SD, but once you’ve tasted sirloin it’s difficult to go back to rump!
 Looking for New TV - Terry
For a 32" screen the resolution is relatively unimportant - it is only above about 50" that most people would possibly notice that pixel size made a real difference to picture quality.

Our main TV is a 40" Sony about 12 years old. A few years ago I bought a sound bar and dispensed with a bulky hi fi and speakers. More space in the room (20' x 12') and far less intrusive.

The sound bar is hugely better than the TV speakers and not far removed from a good quality 25 year old hi fi. A sound bar is designed for a purpose, whereas TV speakers are one of many components in a TV.

The main issue is that functionally it is outdated - there are work arounds using chromecast and a youview box. But smart these days is far ahead of what smart was 12 years ago.

I would suggest paying a lot more attention to "smartness" than the screen (32" is fairly small) or sound (easily upgraded). In particular accessing wi-fi network to avoid hard wiring, on screen internet access, catch up, freeview, recording capability, netflix etc,
I thought about a sound bar, rather than the Yamaha amp and speakers I have. However, I do have it set up with five surround sound speakers, which makes the movie experience better I think, and various odd tv programmes are often in 5.1 and benefit from it.

I put The Matrix on the other day, as it's new to Amazon Prime, and the sound effects of the various jiggery pokeries with bullets and punches shot around the room before ending up behind the sofa. A bit like trying to give a cat a pill.

I almost stayed awake for the actual film.

Also of course that means I have a centre speaker to separate out the dialogue, pushing music sideways and effects backwards or whatever. That makes it a LOT easier to hear what's intended.
 Looking for New TV - CGNorwich
Having a fairly new Sony: I bought it in November, I would say:

You get what you pay for.

Get as big a screen as possible - size is everything

Get a decent sound bar. Something with a sub- woofer if you watch a lot of films.

Convenience is king when watching TV. Yes you can get more stuff on Chromecast or similar but a decent smart TV is so much more convenient. Do you want to faff around with multiple remotes?
>>
>> Convenience is king when watching TV. Yes you can get more stuff on Chromecast or
>> similar but a decent smart TV is so much more convenient. Do you want to
>> faff around with multiple remotes?
>>

... Wot he said......
>>...whereas TV speakers are one of many components in a TV.>>

With the better TVs from top brands the speakers more often than not provide excellent sound, but only if you are standing behind the set!!

Because there is no room for front facing speakers, they are generally housed to fire downwards, upwards or to the rear, which is obviously very far from the ideal.

On the other hand, LG and other manufacturers have a nice little earner in sound bar sales.....
 Looking for New TV - RichardW
Just replaced our ageing Sony Bravia 32"(2007ish) which had developed a large shadow in the top right of the screen. Ours sits back in an alcove, so I really wanted a 37" which would have sat just nicely in the gap, but they are not available any more, so had to go to 40" (which has involved me building a frame to 'wall' mount it so it can sit just forward of the corner) - but seemed to be where the 'decent' sets started. Best of the bunch was a Panasonic HX800 - OK it's not OLED quality (but then it wasn't much more than £500) but the picture quality is streets ahead of the Sony - I keep being surprised by just how 'real' it looks, and what depth there is to the picture! It sounds OK on the built in speakers too - I'm sure it would be better on a soundbar, but not at half the cost of the TV. So if the Panasonic Zero linked is anywhere near as good you won't be disappointed.
This one comes up a John Lewis (and Richer Sounds):

www.johnlewis.com/samsung-the-frame-2020-qled-full-hd-art-mode-tv-32-inch/p4987386

Unusual for its size etc in being OLED.

What does the panel think?
 Looking for New TV - Kevin
It's not OLED, it's QLED.

The best panels these days are usually Samsung or LG. That Samsung is the smallest QLED they produce at the moment. OLED panels start at around 48".

We have a Samsung 43" that was the best of their mid-range sets a few years ago and it's been excellent. I bought my mum the LG equivalent and I think the Sammy picture is better. The reds on the LG are a bit too cartoonish if you get what I mean. The Sammy UI is also neater and quicker. If you're prepared to pay the premium for QLED and the fancy picture frame mode I'd say go-for-it.
Panasonic are getting good reviews for picture quality lately but also a bit of criticism for the 'clunky and slow' UI.

On Sony and Sharp:

Sharp were going down the pan a few years ago and licensed the use of their Brand name for TVs to HiSense. They later sued them for 'diminishing the value of the brand' after accusing them of selling lower quality sets badged as Sharp.
Sony now have a poor reputation for support. Firmware updates are non-existent. I've experienced this before with a camera and a HDD/DVD recorder so whilst I was once a big fan I'm now wary of Sony products.
>>It's not OLED, it's QLED>>

No, both are correct depending on manufacturer.
Kevin was pointing out that Simon had referred to a QLED tv as an OLED one,,,,,
It's QLED, not OLED (there is a significant difference in underlying technology).

Google if you want to know the difference (and the rather different way in which they present to the end-user).

It is indeed rare, however, as most QLED screens are of a much bigger size.

QLED gives a very vivid picture, and is also good for rooms with bright/light viewing conditions.

The Samsung SMART interface is one of the best ones, and relatively easy to use.

I'm not sure about the overall concept, however. OK if you're going to wall mount and use the "art" function, but that capability means the separate screen and one-connect box which must be increasing the cost above a standard all-in-one tv.

Given the (very) flat screen, I'd like to hear the sound before buying.

I can see some attraction in styling over and above the LG set I linked to above, but not £280 worth!
>> I'm not sure about the overall concept, however. OK if you're going to wall mount
>> and use the "art" function, but that capability means the separate screen and one-connect box
>> which must be increasing the cost above a standard all-in-one tv.

I don't get that bit. What is the one-connect box to which you refer?

Without mucking around massively with the room layout the TV will be on a display sideboard; an IKEA Niklas unit. Niklas was a similar concept to Staples Ladderax, the shelf space for the TV is 790mm wide and 570 high so wall mounting is not desired or, for that matter, possible.

I think my choices are the LG referenced above, the Samsung QLED set up or the Sony I mentioned in reply to my OP.

Not sure I can justify the extra for the Sammy and extra brightness. Sunlight is a problem on summer afternoons but pulling a curtain over the window like my parents did solves the issue. Unless viewing habits change markedly, it's only going to occur watching live Tour de France Stages.

If the apps and UI work that's a bonus, controlling the Chromecast from my phone isn't a chore and as per the Firestick thread has the bonus of a QWERTY keyboard.

The current (LG) DVD/HDD 'digibox' came with I-Player but lack of updates meant it was useless in less than 3 years.
>>
>> I don't get that bit. What is the one-connect box to which you refer?
>>

I've only looked at it again briefly, but I hit this particular implementation when I was diverted from the LG OLED (for catch-up reasons). I still come to the same conclusions.

AIUI, one of the selling points of "The Frame" is that it is intended to be wall mounted like a picture frame (though that isn't mandatory). As a result, the unit is essentially a display/monitor, with all the logic and connectivity provided in a separate box.

The advantage of this for wall-mounting is that there is only a single cable to lead to the display/monitor, all other connectivity is into the one-connect box, which is entirely separate (and potentially mounted/located well away from the display).

Great for wall mounting if you want a neat approach, but potentially adding complexity and cost if you don't.

You can check the specs and manual to see if my conclusions are correct.
Thanks for that note TnE; it confirms what I thought you meant.

I'll have a look at the specs. The box may or may not be a problem depending on size, weight, need to lose heat etc and what those imply for concealing it. If it fits on the shelf behind the set or on the floor under the Niklas unit then it's something we can cope with.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 22:41
>>One connection box...

Based on our Samsung a QE75Q900R I would certainly recommend a QLED TV, though this was their flagship 8k model released in 2018.

The connection box we got with the TV is the size of an old style hi-fi separates amplifier, but with no features on the front making it appear larger / monolithic in appearance. It is also considerably heavier.

It sits on a shelf below the TV. It's used for all the connectivity - satellite input, terrestrial aerial input and mains power.

A very thin cable then runs from the box to the TV. The replacement cost of the cable is £199!!!

The cable is 4m long so the box could be hidden in the room and the cable is very thin as to be almost invisible at first glance.

I understand the boxes for smaller TVs are considerably smaller (I am told they are about the size of a FTTC wifi router, but I have not seen one).

The TV is about an inch thick so I would have thought the electronics would be inside the cabinet, but this is not the case. I have a Toshiba TV which is about a 1/3 of an inch thick that has all of the electronics in it.

The TV weighs an astonishing 45kg, be aware of this if you are considering wall mounting it in the future.

The Samsung smart TV interface is blisteringly fast, faster than the 4k fire stick by a long shot.

We did have one issue with the HDMI cables supplied by SKY for the Sky box. They couldn't handle the throughput of very busy images - like the glowing matrix wall on The Chase and the TV screen would blank for a few moments. A set of decent cables (£20) solved the problem instantly. When we called Samsung for help on this they connected to the TV remotely and could see what the problem was!

I would very reluctantly change the TV for another technology. The picture quality is stunning.
>>
>> You need to rethink the entire system, the smart bit makes a difference if you
>> get it right. The chromecast can go for example and rca plugs to hifi is
>> "with the ark" stuff. The HDD/DVD player is also fading technology - almost redundant.

Point about smart bit taken though as TnE has pointed out the availability of apps, UI clunkiness and the scope for their removal is quite extensive. Chromecast just works. RCA plugs to the Hi Fi work and I've got the TV and speakers properly juxtaposed. It may be legacy but even if I need a D/A converter it's low cost.

Could eliminate the HDD recording device. Pretty much everything is on catch up except I'd still want to record Tour de France coverage daily. We have quite a few DVDs including a recently purchased full set of Rumpole of the Bailey which I couldn't find on Britbox etc.

>> So given that I'd say Panasonic.
>>
>> TX-32ES500B

That looks as though it's 720p 'digital ready' rather than 1080p
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 16:06
>>
>> Point about smart bit taken though as TnE has pointed out the availability of apps,
>> UI clunkiness and the scope for their removal is quite extensive. Chromecast just works. RCA
>> plugs to the Hi Fi work and I've got the TV and speakers properly juxtaposed.
>> It may be legacy but even if I need a D/A converter it's low cost.
>>

It's not that easy (though not impossible) to buy a non-Smart TV nowadays, so it's worthwhile getting one with a decent service, and avoiding the multiple remotes syndrome. If you buy something "current" you should keep most of the available services for some time - when a critical one disappears in some years' time, revert to whatever add-on box/stick you want (or buy a new TV ;-) )

LG (with the exception of the 2020 models as above) and Samsung seem to have about the best reputation for their Smart services and interface. (Certainly my current Samsung and LG are both excellent).

As for a DAC, I linked to a fairly reputable and quality one; eBay will give you the option of a usable, USB powered box at well below a tenner, which would probably suffice. Given the TV and HiFi/speakers layout chez nous, that is a better option than a soundbar for me (albeit, as I've said, the HiFi has an optical digital input fed directly by the TV).
 Looking for New TV - slowdown avenue
go to Costco
flagship tv's start at 55inch
32-inch tv'''s in the low hundreds. buy the best you can. you know they are reliable. they just become obsolete
 Looking for New TV - Manatee
Costco g'tee is 5 years on TV's IIRC. Our Panasonic came from there last year.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - Bromptonaut
Thanks to all for the hints and tips.

Having looked closely at the QLED Samsung I don't think I'd benefit to the extent of justifying the expense. If it needs a 'smart box' as well as the screen then fit in my lounge might be an issue.

Having looked around I've got a shortlist of 2

(1) The LG set as per TNE (for some reason tny url didn't work)
www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lm6300pla-32-smart-full-hd-hdr-led-tv-10191559-pdt.html

(2) This Toshiba from John Lewis tinyurl.com/y48687zh

Both at similar price point and both have the RCA connector that will plug/play with by current audio set up. The Tosh also has a third HDMI socket which, although I cannot see a need now might be useful. Being JLP it comes with warranty included and I can click collect from Waitrose down the road in Towcester.

I'm inclined to the latter but are there any naysayers?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 29 Jan 21 at 15:07
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - No FM2R
Not me, the Toshiba looks good.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - Crankcase
Toshiba! Goodness, I instantly remembered this. The power of advertising, eh?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL55aUeUnEw
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - zippy
The Toshiba in my den is a reasonable set. It is not a real Toshiba.

It was made in Turkey by Vestel who have licensed their name.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Both at similar price point and both have the RCA connector that will plug/play with
>> by current audio set up.
>>

I'm pretty sure the RCA connections on the LG are audio in only. (I haven't tried, but the manual and specs certainly imply so).

The specs on the Toshiba website lead me to believe it is the same for that, though you may wish to check.

If so connection to HiFi would be optical out via a DAC on both (and most others)

(JL are selling a similarly (but not the same) named LG model at the £219 price point. Don't be tempted, as it isn't a full HD screen - both that and the one I bought (the Currys link) were being sold side-by-side).

I suspect both sets you list are entirely acceptable, though on-line reviews would give the edge, both on the base TV and the Smart interface, to LG over Toshiba.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - smokie
"at the £219 price point"

Is that the same as "for £219" ? :-)
No, because it was making comparison between two TVs at the same price, ostensibly similar, but different.

:-b
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - Manatee
If you are just trying to get the sound via your hifi you could probably use the headphone output.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - No FM2R
>>you could probably use the headphone output.

I've sometimes found the volume limited using that output.
I don't think either of those TVs have one!
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - Falkirk Bairn
I had problems with connecting sound bar & new TV - resolved by a son who had had the same problem with his Panasonic a month earlier.

The optical connection was fine - the problem was cured in the TV setup maze of settings .

It took him 2 minutes on mine - it took ages googling the issue the previous month with his own TV! Different models, his was a)bigger screen b) Higher spec model - same menus however.
 Looking for New TV - Shortlist - Robin O'Reliant
>> I had problems with connecting sound bar & new TV - resolved by a son
>> who had had the same problem with his Panasonic a month earlier.
>>
>>
>>
I have a problem with my soundbar in that it does not work with iplayer, it's ok with everything else including netflix.

The sound on the TV is set to PCM.
 Looking for New TV - slowdown avenue
costco sharp 32inch IT C32BC3KH2FB £169 5 YEAR WARRANTY good reviews.
you get what you pay for though, remember
I bought a LG from them pre xmas £ 200 cheaper than curry's
it takes it all up to another level
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Bromptonaut
So picked up the Toshiba from Waitrose yesterday afternoon.

Needed its stand fixing but got everything in place reasonably quickly. Set up OK except that it seemed over keen on me using the WPS function on my router rather than letting it discover the wi-fi and input the code.

Used it for a bit last night including watching the stuff about Dad's Army including Jonesy's wedding - all good.

Then tried to switch the input to the HDMI connection from the DVD player to take in an episode of Rumpole.

No go; not responding to the remote. Unlike my old telly there are next to no manual controls, just a rudimentary multifunction toggle on the rear. Won't respond to that either. Only way to stop it was via the plug.

I'd been on wine/beer last night and though maybe I'd fumbled something. Two further sessions today confirm that once it's been on for 30 minutes or so it freezes on whatever channel has been selected.

So tomorrow it's off back to JLP. Offer of 19" SD Sharp free to a good home temporarily withdrawn. I think I'll get a refund and return to headscratch mode for a day or two.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - legacylad
What beer were you drinking ?

I cleared the shelf at Tesco a few days ago, buying Oakham Citra 500ml @ 4.6%, 4 for £6.

I prefer Oakham Green Devil but beggars can’t be choosers
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - sooty123
>> What beer were you drinking ?
>>
>> I cleared the shelf at Tesco a few days ago, buying Oakham Citra 500ml @
>> 4.6%, 4 for £6.
>>
>

I've tried that a couple of times, couldn't get on with it.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - No FM2R
>>So tomorrow it's off back to JLP.

Well that's frustrating.

As for the head scratching, did you decide you weren't keen on that particular television and would prefer another? Otherwise isn't it just a matter of changing it?
>> As for the head scratching, did you decide you weren't keen on that particular television
>> and would prefer another? Otherwise isn't it just a matter of changing it?

Little bit of lost confidence in the brand. While it worked it was good but now I've had one I thought I's probably do what maybe I should have done in the first place and go for the LG. Slightly discombobulated by one of the views on Currys website showing it as 646mm high; too tall for the place on the sideboard. Further checking confirms it's a typo for 464 - the other 32" sets are all 460 plus a bit.

duplicate post for some reason.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 31 Jan 21 at 16:44
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - tyrednemotional
...I told you that LG one (the one at Currys, not the similar one at JL) would be better...... ;-)

(That doesn't have any manual controls, either, though).
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Zero
Told you to get a Panasonic, would you listen? No.
>> Told you to get a Panasonic, would you listen? No.

The model you suggested, TX-32ES500B, doesn't meet my criteria - not full HD.

I cannot finf a full HD Panasonic at the 32" size point. Their website suggests that one exists but I cannot locate a retailer that stocks it.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - smokie
"at the 32" size point" is that the same as " in 32" "? :-)
Yes, I did wonder about a "size point".
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - martin aston
The recommended view distance for a 32" is 4-6 feet. Much much closer than most people expect, or use in practice. As you increase the distance the ability to see any difference between grades of HD will diminish.
That's why TV showrooms have the screens setup playing high quality images with limited space to step back. You get seduced into high def screens that actually are of no benefit in normal viewing conditions.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Stuartli
The higher the TV's resolution the closer, in fact, you can sit and view comfortably. Sounds a contradiction, but actually fact.
>> The higher the TV's resolution the closer, in fact, you can sit and view comfortably.
>> Sounds a contradiction, but actually fact.

Conversely the further you sit away the less the resolution matters.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Manatee
The 32" smart Sharps get good reviews from shoppers on Amazon, they're about £200 on Amazon or £170 at Costco, member's price.

Not full HD, 1366 x 768 but the pixels must be about the same size as full HD on a 50" set. If you're watching it from 10' feet away it should be fine judging by the 2006 vintage 32" Sony we have in the bedroom.

www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/Televisions/Sharp-1T-C32BC4KHF2B-32-Inch-HD-Ready-Smart-TV/p/332248
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - slowdown avenue
i wouldn't have a tv in the bedroom. but these days the say 32inch TVs are bedroom TVs.
55 inch for living rooms.or better a 66inch. nobody says : I wish i'd bought a smaller one . brompt ditch the side board and break the bank . you only live once. and the tv will outlive you maybe.
>> i wouldn't have a tv in the bedroom. but these days the say 32inch
>> TVs are bedroom TVs.

Having used the 32" for an hour or two it's exactly what I want size wise.

The sideboard is an IKEA Niklas unit of similar concept to Staples Ladderax. I'd still need somewhere for the Hi-Fi, record collection and all the photgraphs, ornaments, houseplants and knick knacks it displays.

I don't need or even want something that dominates the room. We're watching across a room that is definitely rectangular. We'd need to re-arrange the entire room to accommodate 55" plus set.

No way would it go on either wall - the landscape pictures of (a) the Cuillins and (b) Great Gable are much to be preferred.
Almost all the new 32" sets are 1366 x 768 720p. Even the 2021 Panasonic.

You could probably get a throw out 32" Sony / Panasonic for nothing or next to nothing by posting on your village FB page. I had one given after we lost the 26" Sony in the house fire. All it lacks is smartness which is a luxury barely worth paying for - I never use it on our 50" Panasonic 4k one.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - John Boy
>> i wouldn't have a tv in the bedroom. but these days the say 32inch TVs are bedroom TVs. 55 inch for living rooms.or better a 66inch. nobody says : I wish i'd bought a smaller one .
>>
I know a couple who were given a 55" model by someone who was upgrading. It wasn't long before they donated it to someone else and went back to their 32". They didn't like the way the larger one dominated their lounge. Having seen it in action and in situ, I agreed with them.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - CGNorwich
The need a bigger lounge not a smaller TV!
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Dog
>>The need a bigger lounge not a smaller TV!

Indeed .. 43 incher looked BIG in the 200 year old cottidge, looks small in the 'new' 90 year old owse.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Duncan
>> The need a bigger lounge not a smaller TV!

Please! Please!

Drawing Room - not Lounge!

So non-u.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Stuartli
You may or may not have noticed that earlier in this thread I suggested that, if possible, people should avoid the Turkish built televisions.....
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - zippy
>> You may or may not have noticed that earlier in this thread I suggested that,
>> if possible, people should avoid the Turkish built televisions.....
>>

Broadly I would agree, but then nearly everything is made to a price.

We have the big quality Samsung and a Vestel Turkish built Toshiba in the den. 50inch 4k and under £200 from Tesco a few years ago. Absolute bargain at the time when everything else was twice that - it was worth the risk IMHO.
>> You may or may not have noticed that earlier in this thread I suggested that,
>> if possible, people should avoid the Turkish built televisions.....

I did notice but took it as applying to the 'in store' brands sold by AO, Tesco etc. I didn't twig until I unpacked it that it was a badged generic jobbie. I accept I could have found out by searching on line but didn't.

The fact it's not designed/built where you'd expect is a secondary reason for return.
FWIW, my LG is made in Poland!

(The picture is pretty good, but the plumbing in for streaming is really excellent ;-))
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Falkirk Bairn
Vestel hoovered up National Brands throughout Europe / further afield and badge the same basic models with different logos.

The Vestel made, "cheap end Panasonics", differ from "Real Panasonics" - the remote controls are different coding.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Crankcase
I was thinking about brands this morning, when peering at a Duracell battery. I wondered whether they were still a superior battery, and how I'd know anyway, other than their ads telling me that, and if in fact they've long since sold the trade name, and all those things you have to think about when buying anything at all these days,

In the old days, you bought on brand, because things were "quality" and they "lasted". For the Victorians, that meant you bought one pair of shoes and handed them down to the first born.

Obviously that isn't necessarily a good business model.

Today, does anybody actually care? The business want/have to cheapen what they do, the consumer wants to pay nothing. And actually the customer wants a new shiny toy every two years anyway, so is probably happier with the "low price and chuck it" model.

Vestel buys out brands, make nice cheap badged tvs that work for two years or so, but by then 8k is here, and two years after that TimeTravel tv is here, and two years after that... So all those Vestels are going to be chucked anyway for new ones.

What's the point of "quality" at all for general consumer goods?

>>the customer wants a new shiny toy every two years anyway

I've only had 5 main TVs since 1980. And that would have been 4 but for the house fire. The first two, a Toshiba then a Panasonic, were CRT's that between them did 26 years. a 26" A Sony lasted from 2006 until 2017/18 when it was demoted to the bedroom and replaced by a 42" Sony.

The origin of brands was an implied guarantee of quality when unbranded tea (for example) was commonly adulterated. Once established, a brand can be used to pass off rubbish as decent quality which bluntly is (one reason) why people licence them. Philips licences for some small products, Goodmans did a lot of it even while producing their own, Hitachi, Toshiba are well known for badging. Pierre Cardin was the champion licenser and his name went on some right rubbish. Bush and Alba are owned by Argos. I had a JVC surround sound thing that I'm pretty sure didn't come out of their factory. JVC TVs are now made by Vestel for Europe.

I was astonished that Matsushita would licence Panasonic to Vestel. Not that Vestel are bad for the money, but they aren't Panasonics.
Speaking of JVC, you can now get a 50" smart 4k TV for £300

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-50ca890-android-tv-50-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10199521-pdt.html

Amazing. Colour TVs have been ~£300 ever since they became mass market when it was 2 or 3 months' wages.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 1 Feb 21 at 14:26
LG now up and running. Looking good and seems better quality and more intuitive than the Toshiba.

Only issue was a reluctance when I tried it to play an episode in i-player using its own wi-fi. Issue seemed to be speed of connection but that could have been my broadband having a hiccup.

Returning the old one to JLP was more hassle than it should have been. Normally you'd just return an item in its original packing and take advantage of their returns policy. However, if the device is faulty you're asked to phone an 0300 number first.

I did that and it turned out to be technical support who wanted me to run through various diagnostics to check the set. As I'd already disconnected it, removed it from its stand and sealed it back in the box I wasn't to keen on unpacking it again.

Argued with staff member to the point of near heated debate - I know it's failed there's no point wasting your time and mine faffing. No dice. So what if I just say it doesn't suit, disappointed it's not a real Toshiba etc?

Can't do that, GDPR, somebody could hack my data etc. Avoided the temptation to get into a debate over why GDPR, what bit of the regs/what category of data as I'd no doubt have then been stonewalled with 'company policy'. So we get the damn thing out, check for 'static' in the remote and then do a factory reset. That done we start trying to select inputs etc.

At which point it stops obeying the remote and the manual control joystick....

Return code given and device is now on its way back to the warehouse.
>> LG now up and running. Looking good and seems better quality and more intuitive than
>> the Toshiba.
>>

Ours is the second TV in the house, and isn't used much in smart mode. (Though such use as it has had has been fine).

I noticed the other day that Youtube wasn't available (all the other stuff I might have wanted is).

In case you want it, it's downloadable (free) from their "store" via the smart interface. Now done on ours.
...and to add, something like this (rather cheaper than the one I referenced miles above) should be sufficient to feed your HiFi via RCA.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-To-Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Adapter-Converter-USB-UK/284140213567

(The usual caveats about cheap eBay electronics, and the fact that this is just an example of several available, not a recommendation as quality unknown, apply).

It has all you need, and should power via one of the two USB sockets on the TV, leaving the other free for whatever.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - martin aston
Good luck with the LG. We should have listened to Smokie in email 7! That's a problem nowadays in buying stuff. There is just too much info available. Gone are the days when you just asked a mate in the pub (remember them?) and nipped down the high street to buy one.
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - smokie
Why thank you for the recognition -)
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - Zero
>> Why thank you for the recognition -)

When firing a blunderbuss, ones hits the target sometimes, its statistics or summink
 New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - John Boy
>> ...and to add, something like this (rather cheaper than the one I referenced miles above)
>> should be sufficient to feed your HiFi via RCA.
>>
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-To-Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Adapter-Converter-USB-UK/284140213567
>>
I'm using one of those, powered from a mains adaptor. The pilot light is excessively bright, but, apart from that, I can't fault it
Assuming that it hasn't changed in the last few years there is zero brand loyalty on televisions, and not much of a profit margin.

Quality is little to do with the production process nor the manufacturer, it is almost entirely related to the final quality assurance process.
>> I've only had 5 main TVs since 1980.

Much the same.

In 1984 I was living in a shared house and wanted a TV in my room. A 14" portable in the post Xmas sale at Dixons Holborn Circus was around £120, £20 more with a remote which luxury I declined as I could reach the set from the end of my bed. Brand, IIRC, was Contec.

Helluva game to drag itt back by foot, tube and bus to my gaff near Belmont Circle (Harrow) but got it set up and working on a set top aerial. Lasted via at least two subsequent homes until its on/off switch gave up the ghost. Replaced by a similarly specced Sony but with a remote that lasted well into the current century.

The 19" Sharp that's no longer big enough for us actually watching TV replaced the Sony c 2010.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 1 Feb 21 at 23:54
>>I've only had 5 main TVs since 1980.

I don't really have a "main" TV; One in each bedroom, one in whatever passes for the family room, one in the breakfast room and sometimes one in the main living room. e.g. this house has 10. 11 if you count the one in the garden.

But even if I only count 1 TV per house, then I will still have had more than 20 in that 40 year period.

Personally I don't watch much TV, but when I do watch it I want it to be as pleasant, hi-tech and convenient an experience as possible.

New TV - Damn Blast and Everything Else. - sooty123
We've got just one TV it's in the front room. I think it's about 5 years old, a Toshiba. The one before that we had it given to us, got rid after the screen started showing red stripes on it and couldn't get any spares for it. Got b about 4/5 years use out of it though.
Latest Forum Posts