Non-motoring > Earthquakes Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 4

Earthquakes - No FM2R
Yesterday evening there was a 7.1 in the South near Antartica. A Tsunami warning was rightly issued, but mistakenly sent to all coastal areas in Chile, rather than just the southern ones.

Just as they were cancelling the Tsunami warning where it wasn't warranted there was a 5.9 earthquake close to Santiago, exactly the area that had just received the erroneous tsunami warnings 20 minutes earlier and then been told it was a mistake.

Chaos reigned. You really couldn't make it up.

Earthquakes - No FM2R
Though the second earthquake whilst not very strong (5.9) was damn close and quite long.

I hate the damn things. I think that's about 5 or 6 since Christmas. No big ones fortunately, yet. The biggest was a 6.4 about a week ago.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 03:08
 Earthquakes - Zero
Feel sorry for the authorities, just bad timing. I mean its no like they come in swarms is it.

( I think thats the collective term for earthquakes)

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 13:40
 Earthquakes - CGNorwich
A swarm of earthquakes. I never knew that. The fact of the day.
 Earthquakes - No FM2R
>>( I think thats the collective term for earthquakes)

Sort of. It's a term for a lot of small earthquakes over a short period of time without a main shock, as opposed to a main shock and then a whole bunch of after shocks.

As is mostly the case with earthquakes there's a whole bunch of terms for a behaviour which is not understood and consequently never apply very well or consistently.

The most unnerving thing is that you never know how strong they're going to get until they stop getting stronger, if you see what I mean. So those first few moments when you don't know if it'll stop at 4 (trivial) or is going to be 7 (unnerving) or the beginning of the big one.

"The big one" is expected to happen. Nobody has the slightest idea when, of course. Sometime between any moment now and 1,000 years from now.

After a spate of the things one does to be waiting for the second shoe to drop.
Latest Forum Posts