Non-motoring > How many credit cards do you have? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 72

How many credit cards do you have? - Iffy
...and how do you use and manage your collection?

My tally is about to rise to three with the arrival of a Tesco clubcard credit card.

The idea is to see if this rewards points m'larkey yields any decent benefits.

For several years I have had a Tottenham Hotspur Visa card, for obvious reasons.

Also a plain blue Halifax Mastercard, on the possibly flawed thinking I could still use that if the Visa computer blew up.

I'm in the fortunate position of not needing credit, so have been using the cards to book hotel weekends away and for the occasional major purchase.

I try to keep both cards 'going', but one or other will not be used for several months at a time.

So what cards do you have?

And how to you use them?

I think there's plenty on here who don't need credit, so I'd like to be nice and cuddly and all inclusive and also hear from those that do need to borrow, as well as those that don't.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 20:09
 How many credit cards do you have? - Robin O'Reliant
One.

Never let it build up and as often as not the whole amount is cleared when the bill comes in. We mostly use it for emergencies only.
 How many credit cards do you have? - bathtub tom
I've one that gives me cash-back on money spent.

Another that makes no charge for use abroad, also useful to have as a back-up.

A debit card linked to my current account.

I always pay in full before incurring charges.
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 20:21
 How many credit cards do you have? - Badwolf
I have a Tesco Clubcard credit card too. It was taken out to pay for a major (ie £4k) expense and was offered with 13 months' interest free credit. Knowing that we could pay off this amount within the time period we decided that this was the way forward - the extra Clubcard points have come in very handy too. We convert them into 'Deals'.

Day-to-day, Mrs B uses her Mastercard to pay for the weekly shop, as she gets Airmiles, and we pay it off every month.

I had huge problems with credit cards when I was much younger and much more foolish so I'm now determined not to fall into the same trap.
 How many credit cards do you have? - rtj70
I have had Barclaycard Visa and Mastercard since I started working and have kept them. Use them when buying things online and/or holidays. Pay off the balance. Also have a Tesco credit card which I have for the reasons Iffy mentions - paid off whenever used. It is also used for company business etc. I used to get all the diesel on it too but now I have a fuel card (I pay for private miles).

I still have an M&S card - I remember how tricky it was at the time to get it so never gave it up all these years later. Not used it in a long time now but keep it just in case.

Between them would raise some urgent funds if needed whilst savings can be extracted etc.

Also have a company Diner's Club which is not accepted at that many places.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Bromptonaut
Too many!
 How many credit cards do you have? - -
2, Barclaycard i use for all internet purchases and a Halifax one that i never use cos i was missold cover by their untruthful telephone sales bod.

I have a DD in place to pay the full amount off when the bill comes in.

Use paypal a fair bit for online too.
 How many credit cards do you have? - RattleandSmoke
I have three

One business debit card
One personal account debit card
One credit card.

Got into a bad habbit with my credit card and owe £800 on it, mostly for parts for my old car!. I pay off more than I spend but its still £40 a month I would rather not spend.
 How many credit cards do you have? - BiggerBadderDave
Definitely 2, maybe more.

Wifey looks after all the banking, every thing is done online. She does all the book-keeping, pays all the bills, pays at restaurants and supermarkets and petrol stations. I do absolutely nothing with money, apart from earn it. I have no idea how much I've made this year, or last year, no idea what's in the bank or on the credit cards. I think she clears them every month but for all I know she might be squirrelling it away into a "just in case" account.
...Also have a company Diner's Club which is not accepted at that many places...

I went through a Diner's/American Express card snobbery phase in the 80s.

They were next to useless then because not enough places accepted them.

And they were both charge, not credit, cards - had to be paid off in full each month.

Diner's was never very popular, and does anyone still use American Express?

I binned both of them when I realised I was paying an annual fee for something which was inferior to a free Access (remember those?) or Barclaycard.

How many credit cards do you have? - Runfer D'Hills
Two, one for most things, the other in case I lose the first one ( kept seperately ) Use the second one anyway now and then to keep it "alive". Always pay off in full every month. Only use them for convenience and transaction insurance. Never use them for their intended purpose of convenient but expensive credit. If I can't afford something I don't buy it.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Crankcase
Had two or three a couple of years ago but never really used them and they've written to cancel them all now, so none.
 How many credit cards do you have? - NeilS
Amex for the cash back on bigger purchases and most business expenses and Tesco Mastercard for most of our grocery shopping for the 5 for 4 Clubcard points. I exchange the Clubcard vouchers 1 for 4 for Eurotunnel and/or Cafe Rouge. I have a Virgin card that I used for zero interest on credit balances but its not needed now. Had a Barclaycard Visa but they disappointed with their lack of help on a challenged purchase. Both Tesco and Amex were less than generous with their credit limits but I sort of respect that. £5,500 between them which is more than I need but Virgin and Barclaycard gave me £34,000 between them!
 How many credit cards do you have? - Cpt. Flack
No credit cards. Never had one.
1 debit card. If I ain't got it I dont spend it. It's this credit spiral that's got us into this mess.
...It's this credit spiral that's got us into this mess....

Capt,

Agreed, but as I found out with the mouldy shower, and as Humph mentions further up the thread, one is better protected using a credit card to buy something than using a debit card.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Aretas
Three. One in my wallet, one on the desk for Internet purchases and one as a spare ('cos BT gave me £40 to take it out and if I have a big (eg new carpets) purchase I get a decent amount off the phone bill)

I try not to use them too much, and always pay by the due date.

Many years ago I used a card a lot and found my salary cheque was almost all used up paying it off, and decided it was a stupid way to behave.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Zero
Four

1 visa, 2 mastercard with a combined availble credit limit of about £24k

1 "top up pre pay" mastercard for suspect, risky or paypal transactions. It just gets topped up to cover whats being bought on it for each transaction.
...a combined availble credit limit of about £24k...

My banking brother insists the credit limit on his cards is kept down to a thousand or so.

He doesn't like the idea of an identity thief being able to get away with any more, even if it is not his direct loss.

Very wise, then he doesn't live in the South East where they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

>> My banking brother insists the credit limit on his cards is kept down to a
>> thousand or so.

Which completely devalues the benefits of having a credit card IE the easy purchase of big ticket items.

>> He doesn't like the idea of an identity thief being able to get away with
>> any more, even if it is not his direct loss.

If its not his loss, its not a problem is it.

>>
>> Very wise, then he doesn't live in the South East where they know the price
>> of everything and the value of nothing.

Pretty snidey comment, was that called for?
...Which completely devalues the benefits of having a credit card IE the easy purchase of big ticket items...

Suppose that depends on what big ticket items you buy, I can't remember the last time I spent more than a thousand on anything, other than the CC3.

...If its not his loss, its not a problem is it...

That's an attitude he - and I - do not like.

Were you to lend me the Lancer, I would look after it more carefully than I do the CC3.

Pretty snidey comment, was that called for?

Not meant to be, but I alluded to it further up the thread when I recalled how having a Diner's and an Amex Card seemed important.

It's a generalisation, but if you said that to someone in the North, they would look at you like you had two heads.

In my experience, stuff like property prices and what someone else earns has always been far more important to people in the South East than it has further north.

I prefer the northern attitude, but that's irrelevant, my observations would be the same, whichever point of view I favoured.
Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 23:08
 How many credit cards do you have? - Runfer D'Hills
A thousand or so ? Given that I spend about £750 a month on diesel alone for our cars I wouldn't have much left over for other stuff if I asked for my credit limit to be set at that sort of level ! Preposterously enough I could in theory buy a really quite expensive car on one of my cards. Haven't the faintest idea how they decided that I'd be able to pay it off if I did mind you. Maybe they know of an inheritance I'm about to receive which I've not yet been apprised of !
>> asked for my credit limit to be set at that sort of level ! Preposterously
>> enough I could in theory buy a really quite expensive car on one of my
>> cards.

I bought a cheap lancer on one of mine.
 How many credit cards do you have? - henry k
Now down to five.
John Lewis almost every day (for cash back rewards) .
M & S is sometimes useful
Barclaycard Visa & Mastercard cos I have had them for decades.
Nationwide for currency abroad (no longer?)

Did have a corporate Diners - useless for most things plus other cards.
I hve always understood that cards not in use should be cancelled as retaining them can affect your credit rating.

I always pay off all card each month.
I always travel abroad with multiple cards on both systems as I have found problems in the past and "another card" has worked.
Online purchases of course get put on a card.

I only use a debit card for cash from hole in the wall machines at my bank and never for anything else.
AH yes, the JLP card. Forgot I am a joint card holder for one of those, the account holder being Nicole.
>>I only use a debit card for cash from hole in the wall machines at my bank and never for anything else.

LIDL's don't accept credit cards (although I understand they do in Wales?), so I have to use debit there if it's more than the cash in my pocket.
...LIDL's don't accept credit cards (although I understand they do in Wales?)...

Similar at Aldi, the till operator refused the customer in front of me last week.

I think she said they take credit cards in Scotland, but not England.
 How many credit cards do you have? - henry k
>> LIDL's don't accept credit cards (although I understand they do in Wales?), so I have
>> to use debit there if it's more than the cash in my pocket.
>>
Any item bought by me in LIDL (and until recently Poundland ) were paid in cash but never by card.
I do not immediately recall any other reasonably large places not accepting CC

Edit - and a memory jog above re Aldi who I sometimes visit.
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 17 Sep 10 at 23:40
 How many credit cards do you have? - hawkeye
Two; a NatWest credit card that does something to the microscopic interest in the savings account and a Post Office credit card because it doesn't charge a transaction fee on purchases abroad. Balance on both, £0.

I hope ...

What are you doing on the computer now, Mrs H ???
 How many credit cards do you have? - Pat
Just one, a Virgin card for it's interest free period and paid off each month if used.

Pat
 How many credit cards do you have? - Falkirk Bairn
I had a Amex Company card many years back. On redundancy much was made of cutting up the card on the last day, car was taken back and checked in fine detail.

Surprise 10 months later a new Amex Co Card arrived and the following day the RFL for the Company car.

After having tried many CCs over roughtly 30 years I have 3 now - 2 x Barclaycard Visa/Mcard - historical as they used to offer points/gifts in the 80's Emergency use only now.
Tesco card used, cleared monthly - reasonable Credit Limit, straight forward website, does the business.
 How many credit cards do you have? - L'escargot
No credit cards, 2 debit cards. One of the debit cards is purely to facilitate the transfer of savings from one bank to the other.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Phil I
>>purely to facilitate the transfer of savings from one bank to the other.

Do you not use internet bank then Mr. Snail?

Phil I
Happy Banking (with no charges and immediate transfer)
 How many credit cards do you have? - R.P.
2 debit, mine and a joint one, 3 credit cards, 1 Tesco for small big ticket stuff and internet stuff - low credit limit in theory reducing exposure to fraud online and one joint credit card from Smile, and a Lloyds Duo Amex Card - big limit - ideal for emergencies - I see it as a "fly me home" card if anything happened whilst I was abroad.
>> I see it as a "fly me home" card if anything happened whilst I was abroad.

One of mine is for that, just in case. Hence it having a higher limit than the others.
>> >>purely to facilitate the transfer of savings from one bank to the other.
>>
>> Do you not use internet bank then Mr. Snail?

Yes, but transfers can't be made directly between savings in one bank to savings in another bank. Hence the need for a debit card as an intermediary account.
>> Yes, but transfers can't be made directly between savings in one bank to savings in another
>> bank. Hence the need for a debit card as an intermediary account.

Transfers cannot but payments can. Obviously you need a current account for that so if you only have a savings account you'll also need a current account at the bank you're sending money from. You setup the account you want the money in as a payee by using the account and sort code. With fast payment, the money is usually there instantly these days.

Savings accounts do not have sort codes, so you cant electronically pay into them.

So you will need a sort code bank account at the sending and receiving end.
My savings accounts have sort codes.
Mine don't.

I can transfer from savings account to its attached bank account, but not directly from savings account to another account in another bank.

If your savings account has a sort code, electronic transfers are easy peasy.
>> >> >>purely to facilitate the transfer of savings from one bank to the other.
>> >>
>> >> Do you not use internet bank then Mr. Snail?
>>
>> Yes, but transfers can't be made directly between savings in one bank to savings in
>> another bank. Hence the need for a debit card as an intermediary account.
>>

I should have said ........ Hence the need for a current account in both banks. The debit card in the second bank was a secondary issue.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Statistical Outlier
3 cards.
Amex cashback (£8k limit) - all business expenses and personal spend (fuel etc). Cleared by DD each month. Made nearly £400 back last year.
Visa credit (£6k limit) for those places that won't take Amex.
Virgin Mastercard for the 0% offer, not needed and unused at the moment.

I'm another that went through a very dodgy patch with instant credit and aspirations beyond my income when young. It wasn't hard, I had a very very low income, but it was not a nice experience and I'm much more responsible nowadays.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Skoda
I can't be trusted with a credit card :-( i spend too much, ran up about £6k of debt as a student. Lesson learned.

1 credit card, low limit, set to clear all after payday. Internet purchases and that's about all really.

Considered a tesco CC for just tesco shopping. Followed the thought trail to its logical conclusion and ended up deciding to (almost) never shop in tesco again.

I have a corporate CC which sees more use, and it's got a daft limit but i don't count it as my CC.
 How many credit cards do you have? - DP
None. Cut 'em up years ago, and cannot be trusted with the things. Still repairing the damage now.

I have a corporate card like Skodas, but that's not mine, and I'd be sacked if I abused it. So I don't.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 12:59
 How many credit cards do you have? - PeteW
>>None. Cut 'em up years ago, and cannot be trusted with the things. Still repairing the damage now.

Me too! Even worse at least half the balances I'm trying to pay off wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the dear wifes complete lack of acknowledgement that we have had/are having any financial problems!!
 How many credit cards do you have? - Ian (Cape Town)

>> For several years I have had a Tottenham Hotspur Visa card, for obvious reasons.
>>

I can say, with 100% honesty that I WAS THERE when they launched the card - White Hart Lane, 1990, Spurs v Liverpool.
They brough on a HUGE card, with some bimbos holding it, and as you can imagine, the whole crowd went MENTAL (cos of the bimbos)
"Are you watching,
are you watching,
are you watching, David Pleat?
Are you watching. DA-VID PLEAT?"

Oh, and IIRC, Spurs won.
...Oh, and IIRC, Spurs won...

That was a red letter day, 'cos we had a dreadful record against Liverpool in those days, although we always did better at home than at their place.

My card is probably the one you speak of - issued via MBNA.

There was an earlier one which they started sometime in the early 1980s issued by Beneficial Bank.

I - in common with many people on here - had a stupid phase with the credit cards.

It was around that time, and I had eight or nine cards before reality dawned and I chopped up all but one or two.

Much financial hardship followed, and it took until around the mid-1990s for me to pull myself around.

All my own fault, of course.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Much financial hardship followed, and it took until around the mid-1990s for me to pull
>> myself around.
>>
>> All my own fault, of course.
>>

Very much like Spurs, then?

Yep, a quick look at Rothmans confirms: 21 March, Spurs won 1-0.
 How many credit cards do you have? - helicopter
SWMBO and I have a joint gold Visa credit card from our bank which I always use for any transaction I can.

We have a debit card from the same bank which I use to pay off the credit card every month.....whatever the total spend. I cannot understand why people do not realise how expensive the borrowing is if you do not pay off the card every month in full .....

I have no idea what my credit limit is although it is certainly well over ten thousand.

Our general monthly spend will usually be between one and two thousand and I always check the bill very carefully .

I paid for the latest Accord on my Nationwide Debit Card.

I can manage my Nationwide accounts online and and I use the card for currency abroad.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Netsur
I have been through loads of cards over the years. I have now settled down to Amex (which I use as much as possible for the 1.5% cashback), MBNA Lufthansa Visa card (for Lufthansa Miles) and a Tesco Mastercard Clubcard (for points). I pay off in full.

When we furnished our flat overseas I used the Amex exclusively as they were then offering 2% cashback and by the end of the year, I managed to avoid paying one bill I had built up so much cash.

I used to use the Nationwide for overseas purchasers, but its not worth it now.
Am I the only person who has an affinity card purely because I like the organisation involved?

Several members have Tesco and other cards for sound financial reasons.

But does anyone have, say, a National Trust card, or one linked to a major charity?

How many credit cards do you have? - R.P.
Note of thanks iffy - in the course of this thread I remembered I had a Visa Electron Travelcard issued by the Post Office - dug it out today, it had expired since 09/09 checked it and it had 28 Euros on it ! Gave it the kiss of life over the phone new card winging its way to me with the balance in tact !

No I've not got an affinity card btw !
 How many credit cards do you have? - Ted

I have 5 and a debit card.
Virgin, Citibank, Mbna, Asda and Halifax.
Halifax debitcard.
About 29k of credit available. MBNA has £9K limit so useful for a big buy...put SWMBO's kitchen on that @ £4.5K but paid it off in one lump. Always pay them off by setting an on-line payment when the bill arrives, to be paid a few days before the date due.
All clear at the moment but just put £130 on one for my biking weekend wot I am just back from...wet !
Use the Debit card for machine money but don't have the need to carry much......£20 or so lasts a week for me.
SWMBO has 2 ccs...BHS and Stan Tander but both paid in time.

I notice MBNA have snuck a quid interest on the last bill, even though it was paid up in time...can't be bothered arguing...better things to do !

Been in debt....don't like it !

Ted

How many credit cards do you have? - Alastairw
Two plus a debit card. One for online transactions, one for the real world. Debit card for day to days use. My theory is is one of them gets scammed or accidentally blocked by the bank or whatever I can fall back one the other.
 How many credit cards do you have? - VxFan
Only ever had a one debit card up until this year, but now also have a Tesco Mastercard.

After my current account was scammed approx 3 yrs ago and over £9000 was used for online gambling, the bank suggested I apply for a credit card to use for paying for things. Reason being if the credit card got scammed then it wouldn't affect any money I had in my bank account. So completed all the forms which took ½ hour or so, to then receive a letter from the bank 2 weeks later declining my application for a credit card as I was deemed a risk. When I questioned this with the bank, they told me that the ever so clever computer only looked at my account the past few weeks and not over the past 21+ years. I was thne advised to leave things for a few months for my credit rating to settle back down and re-apply. Needless to say I didn't bother.

btw, the reason my current account had £9000 in it was because I had just written off my car and paid in the cheque from my insurer, just prior to using the money to pay for another car.

I narrowed down who might have scammed my card to two areas. It was either someone at the DVLA (I had used my debit card only a few weeks earlier to pay for road tax) and later read in the paper that one of their employees had been done for card fraud, or it was someone at the hire car company who took my debit card out the back when they refunded the deposit I had paid 14 days earlier.

Thankfully CPP sorted it all out eventually.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Ted

Anyone remember some of the first cashcards ?
Thin plastic about the size of a playing card. They had a series of punched out ' chads ' and had to be bought from the bank in advance.

I remember having a couple of £10 ones.....wages were about £24 a week IIRC.
Useful for cash on a weekend when the banks were shut, but I don't know how extensive the machine network was.
You had to draw out the total on the card as well !

Ted
 How many credit cards do you have? - Crankcase
Not sure about the first cashcards, but I do recall the first cash machine installed by our local NatWest.

The video screen hadn't quite been incorporated yet, so there was a little window under which a canvas belt whizzed back and forth, with messages on. It stopped at various points so you could read what to do next.

Must have been about 1978/79 I suppose. Even as late as 1982 the bank wouldn't let me take out more than ten pounds a week on my cashcard; they were always a miserable bunch too.

Changed to the Midland and they were worse - you always felt like using your own money was a favour, and borrowing for anything, especially a mortgage, was apparently world-changing and very grudging indeed.
...Tesco card update...

Now fully pinned and carded up.

There was some talk in the thread about the number of points awarded.

I'm on one point for every £4 spent, plus standard Clubcard points, when using the card at Tesco.

One point for every £4 spent when using the card elsewhere.

Now it's time to see if points make prizes.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 23 Sep 10 at 18:12
 How many credit cards do you have? - Mapmaker
Two. No idea what the limits are, but far, far higher than I could ever imagine using. One pays a divi, so everything I buy goes on it save possibly for vegetables from the market.
 How many credit cards do you have? - BobbyG
3 - A Visa, A Mastercard and a works card.

Use a debit card to pay for all the day to day ssuff like food and fuel that I don't need to keep receipts for.

Use the Mastercard for all other purchases like new goods.

Each month I check off every receipt, the ones for the debit card can then be shredded but the ones for the credit card are kept for a year for guarantee reasons. Credit card cleared each month.

We used to put absolutely everything on credit card, even train fares, to make use of the cashback on offer but now I prefer to use debit. In fact my wife has taken to withdrawing cash to do the grocery shopping as she feels she spends less when she is physically handing the cash over.

Of course, when dealing with the debit ones for fuel, I then mark up my fuel spreadsheets (come on own up, who else does this).

Once done with them, I go back to the kitchen cupboards and make sure the labels are facing to the front and that the stocktake backs up the receipts...... :)
>> Of course, when dealing with the debit ones for fuel, I then mark up my
>> fuel spreadsheets (come on own up, who else does this).
>>
>> Once done with them, I go back to the kitchen cupboards and make sure the
>> labels are facing to the front and that the stocktake backs up the receipts...... :)

Don't forget to move the shorter sell by dates to the front of the shelves, and put the stuff you want to get rid of at the end of the worktop run.

Yes, you're right, you're a sad git.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Sep 10 at 10:44
>>I go back to the kitchen cupboards and make sure the labels are facing to the front

What! Don't you put them in alphabetical order? ;>)

We had to move our CD racks and SWMBO decided to put them back alphabetically. There's an Abba and two Beatles CDs in the car that I'm going to sneak back in the house, one at a time.
 How many credit cards do you have? - BobbyG
>>We had to move our CD racks and SWMBO decided to put them back alphabetically. There's an Abba and two Beatles CDs in the car that I'm going to sneak back in the house, one at a time.

Before ipods I had all my CDs in a bookcase. Arranged alphabetically.
Each shelf took 80 cds and there were 9 full shelves of them. Used to be a pain in the neck every time I bought a new one and had to fit it into its alphabetic order which involved a mass move of cds!

Zero, re the date coding, I do that when I visit my dad. He doesn't throw any ambient groceries out even if sell by date has passed. If its in a tin or a packet it will be fine. Same if its frozen.

Try explaining to a 78 year old that the can of butterbeans that is 3 years out of date, and would probably have 2 years life on it when he bought it, should be chucked out! If he hasn't felt the need to eat them in the last 5 years then lets face it, I don't think its top of his cooking ingredients list!
Last edited by: BobbyG on Fri 24 Sep 10 at 15:17
"Once done with them, I go back to the kitchen cupboards and make sure the labels are facing to the front and that the stocktake backs up the receipts...... :)"

I weigh everything I eat and work out its calorific value, then log it down. I have daily targets that I've perfected over time to keep my weight bang on 86kg. I started doing it when I turned 40 and noticed I was putting weight on, and it quickly turned into an obsession, but a useful one for a change. I weigh milk for cornflakes, slices of corned beef, everything.
With all that running away from spiders I would think its unnecessary.

Still a girl needs to look good doesn't she.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Hugo
At the moment I have 3

One is Capital 1 and the other is Barclaycard. The third is AMEX

I did have a few that I took out because Quidco gave cashback when I took them out.

Amex was good last year as we generated £200 cahsback when we used it to pay for our trip to the UAE.

Capital one earns us 1% cashback up to £15 per month. That's £180 per year.

Barclaycard was Goldfish, which I took out via Quidco and have never used.

To be honest I only use the captial one card - it keeps everything in one place. I divide up the business and personal expenditure on the statement when it comes through and pay it off in full each month from both accouns.

I have only been caught twice with failing to pay the card at all at the end of the month. Once was when I thought a DD had been set up and I got all the charges heaved onto me in the next statement. They were pursuaded to waive them all. The other time was the month my mother died. It completely slipped my mind and again that company (Capital one) waived all the charges out of goodwill.

I like capital one. Every now and then I get a phone call from their authorisation dept to make sure I did actually want to pay for something on the internet. The last such event was my daughter's new Ipod.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Bagpuss
I have one personal card (Visa) and one company card (Mastercard).

I got myself into serious difficulties in the late 80s with credit cards when the monthly payments i could afford were less than the monthly interest and it took me years to get out of that particular financial hole. Since then I've paid off the entire balance every month.

Not everywhere in Germany accepts credit cards so the personal card is mainly for on-line purchases. I buy everything using a charge card - bought my M3 at the BMW dealer with it.
 How many credit cards do you have? - movilogo
I had 8 credit cards at one point of time. Most cards were taken due to some deals offered at that time. Then I realized that not much point in keeping them after introductory offer expired.

So currently I have only 4 and 2 of them are used regularly.

Till date I never paid interest on credit cards though :-)
 How many credit cards do you have? - Fursty Ferret
Two, but only use my Nationwide one now since it ties in nicely with the online banking, and has a reasonable limit. Set to pay off at £250/month or the outstanding balance, whichever is lower.

I accept the occasional interest charge as a fair deal for having the card.
I've never felt (or had) the need for a credit card. I have a debit card for each of the two current accounts that I have.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Stuu
I have never owned a credit card although I have 3 current accounts over which I have a £5k overdraft so if I want a large amount short term, I can use that facility.
Ive never wanted the ability to spend more than I have in my account except on special occasions and I see credit cards as financial cancer.
"Ive never wanted the ability to spend more than I have in my account except on special occasions and I see credit cards as financial cancer."

My brother-in-law had that attitude, he's 37, a miser with money, has a fantastic salary, owns a flat outright and works as a financial director. Last month, he and his wife bought a house near us and he found it an absolute pig of job to find anyone who'd give him a mortgage because he'd never had a credit card. In desperation, they've gone with a crap rate after borrowing from us to get the extra deposit required.

That's the situation in Poland, I don't know about the UK.
 How many credit cards do you have? - Stuu
I have over the years had several loans on big purchases and always paid them off early, so I do have credit history, I just wont have a credit card.
 How many credit cards do you have? - DP
>> I've never felt (or had) the need for a credit card. I have a debit
>> card for each of the two current accounts that I have.

I've got to that point now, but unfortunately I got myself into serious grief before I realised I could do without one.
Not having a credit card after years of having them is almost panic inducing at first. What if the car blows up, what if we need this or need that? It's crazy.
One thing getting rid of mine has also reintroduced me to is the satisfaction of saving for something and buying it. I did this as a kid, and the first few years of my working life, and then stupidly got caught up in the cheap / easy credit boom like so many others.
I forgot how good it is to go and buy something for a good few hundred pounds that you've put the money aside for over a period of time.
Latest Forum Posts