Non-motoring > Odd EasyJet flight Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 28

Odd EasyJet flight - zippy
uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/EZY9021

I was checking what a passing helicopter was doing (usually air ambulance) and noticed an EasyJet flight from Gatwick took off, made a loop and landed again.

I'm guessing fault or bird strike. FlightRadar24 doesn't give squawk data unless one subscribes.

Any ideas as to what happened?
 Odd EasyJet flight - Bromptonaut
EZY9021 would be the number for a positioning or test flight. Jet2 have a similar set of numbers and have been doing short flights from Leeds etc.

Per FR24 (to which I subscribe) that flight number has been used several times this year but not for regular ops, they're all intra UK and either between EZY bases or quick circuits like this one. .

Quite a lot of similar stuff during lockdown 1.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 14:59
 Odd EasyJet flight - zippy
Thanks
 Odd EasyJet flight - Terry
Perhaps if a plane has been mothballed for the last 9 months, they take it for a test flight to ensure it still all works before allowing passengers on!
 Odd EasyJet flight - Zero
More likely its crew keeping their hours and familiarisation up. If it was Ryan air they would probably make the crew pay for the fuel.
>> More likely its crew keeping their hours and familiarisation up.

That would be my guess. A test flight would likely involve a climb to altitude etc.
 Odd EasyJet flight - No FM2R
>> If it was Ryan air they would probably make the crew pay for the fuel.

If it was LANChile they'd make them pedal.
 Odd EasyJet flight - Crankcase
We went for a walk today round the village for our one household local daily socially distanced reasonable exercise.

Overhead (as so often) was a titchy private plane (you can tell I know my planes) doing loops, barrel rolls, dives - all that stuff they do when one person wants to have fun but the other ten thousand people under them in hearing distance are subjected to incessant whines and roars.

No idea whether that's in the "guidelines". Perhaps Cambs constabulary were waiting on the runway when he landed. They'd certainly have heard him.
 Odd EasyJet flight - tyrednemotional
I suspect The Red Arrows would plead they had a better excuse, but they were patently training in formation this morning.

Presumably in the vicinity of Scampton, given the bearing, and clearly visible from about 25 miles away.
>>all that stuff they do when one person wants to have fun but the other ten thousand people under them in hearing distance are subjected to incessant whines and roars.

That's certainly usually what happens in the UK; everybody determined to insist upon their rights, especially if there is someone else doing something they don't want to do themselves and it inconveniences them.

Unless it's going on all day, every day and at stupid times, does it really matter?
Spock's "needs of the many" comes to mind. It matters to me, which of course, is all that matters.

As to how often, most of the year, most days from mid morning to mid afternoon in normal times.

I suppose we could move of course.
I didn't & don't agree with Spock, that's just an excuse for extinguishing individuality. Do you believe it is ok for China to extinguish Hong Kong? Because presumably Spock would. Where would any minority group or individual stand in Spock's mind.

He should have stuck to advice about sex and child care. He was better at that.

Most days for several hours is excessive and that would annoy me too.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 18:42
Time for me to brush up my JS Mill I think. So that's another lockdown day sorted. Thanks.

>>Time for me to brush up my JS Mill I think

Shouldn't listen to him, he couldn't even drink half a pint of shandy.
>> I didn't & don't agree with Spock, that's just an excuse for extinguishing individuality. Do
>> you believe it is ok for China to extinguish Hong Kong? Because presumably Spock would.
>> Where would any minority group or individual stand in Spock's mind.

AH but no but yes but.

Hong Kong is actually a case of the manys needs being extinguished for the few. The citizens are the many, the few is the ruling cabal.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 19:10
 Odd EasyJet flight - sooty123
You live near an airfield?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Jan 21 at 03:03
>> You live near an airfield?

I wanted to tell you how near Cambridge Airport we are as the crow flies, but couldn't immediately find out. I expect there's some online tool for it. Or I could move off this sofa and get a paper map and a ruler, but what do you want here, my cholesterol is already way up. I need a helper monkey as it is.

By road, it's about fifteen miles. I can't hear planes taking off or anything.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 19:00
Google maps on the computer. Left click on the airfield. Right click the resulting pin (red thing), select measure distance. Left click on your house.

That'll give you the distance as the crow flies.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 19:18
Ta, didnt know that one. And "as the crow flies" sounds very English as a colloqualism. Is there an equivalent in other languages i wonder?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 19:22
>> And "as the crow flies" sounds very English as a
>> colloquialism. Is there an equivalent in other languages i wonder?

Not in Spanish or Portuguese. They both just use "in a straight line".

>>Ta, didnt know that one.

You can measure a route. Imagine I cycled from my house to the pub and then to the church and then to my house.

Right click on my house, select measure distance. Left click on the pub. Left click on the church and left click on my house. That will give me the distance.

If you should erroneously click, simply click the same point again and it will disappear.

However, if I then click and drag anywhere on the route line I can pull it to one side or another if there was a significant deviation from a straight line. If I do that many times, pulling the route onto my actual route, the answer will become more and more accurate.

Crap explanation, I'm sure you can work it out.

I use it sometimes when I might be walking where there are no roads, or on a combination of roads and paths etc. etc.
Also useful, thanks. Clever old Google.

I've historically used MapMyRun for something similar. Or the WalkHighlands thing on their website also does a similar thing but also spits out GPS coordinates as a downloadable route to import into my Garmin before a wander.

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

. I need a helper monkey
>> as it is.

I remember that episode, made me smile.

>> By road, it's about fifteen miles. I can't hear planes taking off or anything.
>>

You mean they do some sort aerobatics over your house?
>> You mean they do some sort aerobatics over your house?

I don't know about Cambridge but Northampton (Sywell) aerodrome has a resident display team - The Blades. Sywell is the other side of town. Whenever I've gone there to watch planes it's about 10 miles but much less for a crow.

The Blades practice over here now and then. Not often enough to be an irritation, the non plane buffs quite enjoy it too. Damn frustrating when I'm on a work call and I can hear them but not see them.

If, as those guys are, the Cambridge flyer is a professional display pilot then practicing is work and, however good a simulator might be, not something you can do at home.

Whether he could practice elsewhere is another issue but some airspace in that area is, in normal circumstances, heavily used for Stansted's operations. Displays by the Reds at Duxford, if they're doing a full routine, have to be co-ordinated with the airport's ATC and probably London Control too.
>
>> The Blades practice over here now and then. Not often enough to be an irritation,
>> the non plane buffs quite enjoy it too. Damn frustrating when I'm on a work
>> call and I can hear them but not see them.
>>

Frustrating in what sense?

>> If, as those guys are, the Cambridge flyer is a professional display pilot then practicing
>> is work and, however good a simulator might be, not something you can do at
>> home. > Whether he could practice elsewhere is another issue but some airspace in that area is,
>> in normal circumstances, heavily used for Stansted's operations. Displays by the Reds at Duxford, if
>> they're doing a full routine, have to be co-ordinated with the airport's ATC and probably
>> London Control too.

Yes I'm aware of that thanks ;)
>> Frustrating in what sense?

In the sense that I'm a plane nut and, not on a call, I'd take the opportunity for a break from my desk/screen to go outside and watch.

>> Yes I'm aware of that thanks ;)

The comment about Stansted was a contribution to the discussion Crankcase started about his Cambridge based aerobat rather than a reply to you personally.
Ah got it (x2)
 Odd EasyJet flight - legacylad
“Live long and prosper”. That’s all I can remember Spock saying.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 19:27
>> We went for a walk today round the village for our one household local daily
>> socially distanced reasonable exercise.

Went for a walk today with the dog through Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai, Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates small little estate.
Latest Forum Posts