Non-motoring > flourescent tube to Led Miscellaneous
Thread Author: slowdown avenue Replies: 27

flourescent tube to Led - slowdown avenue
need to change to LED in the garage. iv'e sucsessfully changed one without need to modify . one of my fittings is 1979 and without a starter. . i would some clarity on rewiring
  flourescent tube to Led - Bobby
I had various fluorescent fittings in my utility room and storage area.

Changed them all to complete new LED light fittings.

These ones actually

Creyer Modern Square 24W LED Ceiling Lights, Equivalent to 150W Bulbs, Φ30*H3.6cm, 2000LM, AC220-240V, Daylight White 6000K, LED Panel Ceiling lamp for Living Room, Bedroom, Kitchen, Balcony Hallway www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TT1J2QT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_c-hbGbH9GSEZ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  flourescent tube to Led - CGNorwich
Why? For a garage fluorescent light s are fine. They are energy efficient and log lasting.
  flourescent tube to Led - sooty123
We've got a fluorescent tube in the kitchen, it's very good at its job.
  flourescent tube to Led - bathtub tom
I've still got some CFLs in the house and they won't be replaced until they fail.
Reckon I've still a couple of incandescents.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sun 17 Jan 21 at 19:12
  flourescent tube to Led - tyrednemotional
...if the CFLs are in downlighters, be aware that you may well need special "long-neck" LED replacements.

Been there, done that....
  flourescent tube to Led - Bromptonaut
>> I've still got some CFLs in the house and they won't be replaced until they
>> fail.
>> Reckon I've still a couple of incandescents.

Just replaced a failed CFL with an LED where a 100watt incandescent was once indicated. Instant light and a better colour temperature. Scratching my head over whether to invest c£30 in replacing other CFLs or wait for them to expire.
  flourescent tube to Led - Manatee
I'm finding that the lights I have replaced with LEDs aren't lasting very long. Maybe I'm not paying enough.
  flourescent tube to Led - Bromptonaut
>> I'm finding that the lights I have replaced with LEDs aren't lasting very long. Maybe
>> I'm not paying enough.

We had our kitchen 'done' in December 2018 including 8 GU10 recessed spot/flood lights. The supplied bulbs were branded Osram and within first few months one after another they developed a flicker.

Checking I found them running very hot - untouchable at first. Replacement Sylvanias have been much better.
  flourescent tube to Led - VxFan
>> Why? For a garage fluorescent light s are fine.

LEDs are instantly bright. Fluorescent lights in an unheated garage take a while to get up to full brightness. If the fittings are getting on a bit, they can sometimes take a while to start up.
I guess so but I’m retired and can afford to wait that extra 5 seconds ;-)
....now, where's that step.....
Doesn’t a step into the garage make parking the car difficult?
...It does if you're also waiting for the light to come on....

(though I don't think CG admitted directly to having flourescents in his garage)
oh . i thought Led was ,win win. have i got that wrong
the ballast in one fitting is playing up. it is 41 years old i guess. i want to bypass it and fit a led . The more i've read up on it the more i get unsure of compatabilities.
to save electrity . web says remove ballast as this sucks up the wattage .
  flourescent tube to Led - Fursty Ferret
I fitted two of these to my garage:
www.bltdirect.com/v-tac-led-batten-50w-cool-white-4000k-6000lm-with-samsung-chip

There are almost offensively bright and a million times better than the fluorescent tubes they replaced. Whole range of them at BLT. Would recommend 4000K over 6400K colour temperature.
They look quite good. A reasonalbe price too
cheers FF thats cool 50watt and 6000 Lms. .
still want to persevere with the ballast bypass Got me thinking , time on my hands . i might rejig the lights in the garage.
  flourescent tube to Led - Mike H
I don't know whether they are available in the UK, but here in Austria I bought some LED "fluorescent tubes" from Hofer, which is the brand name for Aldi here, for €17 IIRC. You just remove the old fluorescent tube, put the new LED one in, and you swop out the starter for the new one in the pack. And you get instant light when you switch it on, none of the flickering, warming up rubbish :-)
Last edited by: Mike H on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 17:16
indeed we have the same ,but only recently i think. in fact i've already done just that . but one of my fixtures is without starter, also has very very slow ballast or interior starter. ive watched several you tube videos but they arn't english . different names for stuff . and fittings
  flourescent tube to Led - Robin O'Reliant
>> I don't know whether they are available in the UK, but here in Austria I
>> bought some LED "fluorescent tubes" from Hofer, which is the brand name for Aldi here,
>> for €17 IIRC. You just remove the old fluorescent tube, put the new LED one
>> in, and you swop out the starter for the new one in the pack. And
>> you get instant light when you switch it on, none of the flickering, warming up
>> rubbish :-)
>>

Like this you mean?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRANDED-LED-T8-T12-FLUORESCENT-TUBE-REPLACEMENTS-2ft-3ft-4ft-5ft-6ft-8ft-240v/323767258477?hash=item4b62084d6d:g:yAAAAOSwbjNcj7ZT

If so, I could do with one.
  flourescent tube to Led - Robin O'Reliant
Just fitted one in the garage, what a difference. instant start up and a much brighter light, thanks Mike.
  flourescent tube to Led - sherlock47
>> I fitted two of these to my garage:
>> www.bltdirect.com/v-tac-led-batten-50w-cool-white-4000k-6000lm-with-samsung-chip
>>
>
>>

I was looking for a job to do (or at least a displacement activity) so ordered 3. Look good and light output looks impressive. Time will tell if 3 year warranty is needed.
  flourescent tube to Led - Kevin
>I was looking for a job to do (or at least a displacement activity) so ordered 3...

Yeah, lockdown gets a bit boring after a while doesn't it?

Earlier this week while wondering what to do I swapped all the sweet wrapper around in a box of Celebrations. Mrs wasn't happy, she got her snickers in a twix.
  flourescent tube to Led - Zero
Are you mad? mess with your gals chocolate at your peril
i was a bit bored in first lock down, so i arranged all my outdoor plants into alphabetical order. my neighbour on hearing all the noise, looked over and asked. what you doing now.
so i told him . and he groaned , Idon't know how you find the time. easy i said , it's next to the sage
Latest Forum Posts