Non-motoring > TP Offence seeking alive and well. Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 12

TP Offence seeking alive and well. - No FM2R
Manchester United's Edinson Cavani has been given a three-match ban and a £100,000 fine for a social media post containing a Spanish phrase that is offensive in some contexts

What is going on in this world?

Cavani gets a 3 match ban and is forced to apologise because he called a friend of his "Negrita" in a post.

F.ridiculous. It means little black one in Spanish and is f.all to do with race or colour, it is a common Latin nickname.

It is also the name of my favourite chocolate biscuit....

www.jumbo.cl/galletas-nestle-bolsa-300-g-10-unid-negrita-galleta-snack-rellena-banada-en-chocolate/p

It is the name of a rock band in Italy....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negrita

The name of a brand of Rum

www.the42.ie/edinson-cavani-manchester-united-ban-fine-instagram-post-5313778-Dec2020/

...and a common nickname between close friends. All my wife's close friends call her Negra or Negrita because of her hair (which is black).

Save us from virtue-signalling pillocks.

Certainly he should have been pulled to one side and helped to understand, but a three match ban??

FFS.
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - Robin O'Reliant
But someone, somewhere might just possibly have been offended and suffered a life changing PTSD as a result.

One can't be too careful you know.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 31 Dec 20 at 17:03
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - Bromptonaut
Pour encourager les autres :-)
No, it is flat out virtue signalling but with a twist; a fear of being seen as a bad person by the virtue-signallers if one doesn't pretend to take offence.
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - Zero
It may well be a much loved biccy, and an affectionate term in your part of the world, however he is playing for an English team in an English league where in my fairly recent memory "you bl..k ba.....d" shouted in the face of an opponent was less than a term of endearment. (are you listening John Terry)

So alas, footballers lack of brains on display again. They will never learn to keep their gobs shut.
>> It may well be a much loved biccy, and an affectionate term in your part
>> of the world, however he is playing for an English team in an English league
>> where in my fairly recent memory "you bl..k ba.....d" shouted in the face of an
>> opponent was less than a term of endearment. (are you listening John Terry)

Hardly the same thing at all.
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - CGNorwich
"Certainly he should have been pulled to one side and helped to understand, but a three match ban??"

Nothing to do with virrtue signalling.F.A. had no option. Cavani did no contest or appeal against the chargea and its a fixed minimum penalty.

"Despite his honest belief that he was simply sending an affectionate thank you in response to a congratulatory message from a close friend, he chose not to contest the charge out of respect for, and solidarity with, the FA and the fight against racism in football. a fixed penalty. Cavani has not appealed since he stands by the FA's stance on racism."
>>F.A. had no option

Garbage.

>>Nothing to do with virrtue signalling

Garrbage.

It may be a little complex for you, don't feel bad, just move on.
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - CGNorwich
I realise that the concept of anyone having a view different to yours is difficult for you to accept and you therefore you have to revert to patronising git mode so a happy new year to you anyway.

Don’t drink too much.

Bless.
 TP Offence seeking alive and well. - Netsur
Similar thing happened to Bernardo Silva at ManCity who put up a posting about a team mate that received much adverse comment.

These players are foreign! They don't 'speaka da Engleesh' like we do. I'm sorry, having been the butt of 'Hey Dirty Jew!' being screamed at me from passing cars, I think I can add some perspective to this and remarkably I agree with Mark.

Had Cavani or Bernardo called someone a 'fat b***k b*****d' in English they should have had the book thrown at them, but they didn't and used an affectionate term used commonly in their home countries.

Perspective....

>>Perspective....

These people don't want perspective, they want to signal their own virtue by taking noisy offence on behalf of others. And then too many go along with it for fear of being nailed to a stake by the baying virtue signallers.

Then they are supported by sanctimonious old t***s who can't see beyond the end of their own noses.

It's pathetic.

As you say, where something genuinely offensive was deliberately done, then some action should be taken. But when something is done naively or unknowingly without intended offence then a little perspective and education would be a far better solution.

It's just too difficult for some and insufficiently gratifying for others.
www.bbc.com/sport/football/55534759
Latest Forum Posts