Non-motoring > For Smokie - fridge-freezers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 13

For Smokie - fridge-freezers - Aretas
Fridge-freezers are normally designed for use in the house, and have only one thermostat. This thermostat switches on and off to control the fridge section temperature and the design is such that the freezer will also be at its lower temp.

Therefore, if you place it in the garage and the garage temp drops below say 6 degrees the machine (controlling the fridge temp) has no need to come on. The freezer bit will then slowly warm up.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - smokie
Thanks - I did read about the recently. However the garage hasn't really got too cold anyway yet, and the thing has been working OK out there for years. It's the fridge bit which I think isn't working right but I get what you say, that that's essentially driven by the freezer bit. The fridge either seems warm or too cold, so the control is becoming dodgy.

I ordered a new one for delivery in the New Year but cancelled it today as we don't really use the fridge much anyway through the rest of the year, and the freezer is still well cold. Once it's less full I can have a poke around to see what I can see ( will require advise!) then decide whether to change it or persuade SWMBO we really don't need a second one anyway!!

Thanks again though, will bear that in mind if I do buy another as I see there are ones designed for garages and sheds which work differently.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - No FM2R
Don't do it, extra fridges or freezers are a slippery slope.

We have a ridiculous amount, none of which we really need. Except the booze one by the barbecue of course.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - legacylad
I know several folks, some of them single, with a separate freezer in their garage. Unless you’re the Waltons why would you need another ? A couple I know have two built in fridge freezers....total overkill. Both stuffed full of produce they’ve forgotten they bought.
Surely one is sufficient ? As a single bloke I have 2.5 freezer drawers under my main fridge, more than sufficient for my needs. And my fridge is only half full at the best of times.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - Zero

>> Surely one is sufficient ? As a single bloke I have 2.5 freezer drawers under
>> my main fridge, more than sufficient for my needs. And my fridge is only half
>> full at the best of times.

You can never have enough ice cream or frozen bake in the oven Churros. And Aunt Bessies toad in the hole,
You do have a point LL but who needs a big fancy car when they're away for half the year, and even when they are here a Smart car would be big enough? :-)

Seriously, we only ever had one because her company were moving location and it was nearly new and going to the dump, so we had it for free. Then you learn to live with things.

Our small chest freezer (which she's not keen on any more as stuff gets buried under the top layers) is getting on a bit so maybe I'll review the whole chilling situation and see if we think we could get by on one new tall freezer and one fridge. It fits with the general de-cluttering/simplifying theme we've been doing.

For Smokie - fridge-freezers - zippy
We got a freezer for the garage to reduce the number of trips to the shops during lockdown.

It's a BEKO, whilst not the most prestigious of makes, its thermostat is designed for garage temperatures.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - CGNorwich
“Not the most prestigious of makes”

I like Beko stuff. Cheap and reliable. Got a dishwasher and a fridge freezer but am now worried about my status if a neighbour were to see these appliances. Good job we’re in Tier 4
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - Zero
>> “Not the most prestigious of makes”
>>
>> I like Beko stuff. Cheap and reliable.

And saves you money on central heating, come home to a real fire.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - CGNorwich
Isn’t that Whirlpool tumble driers? Go one of them too.
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - Bromptonaut
>> Isn’t that Whirlpool tumble driers? Go one of them too.

Both I think:

www.itv.com/news/update/2014-09-26/which-beko-fridge-freezers-are-at-risk-from-fire-fault
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - hawkeye
If your fridge/freezer has worked OK for a while and now doesn't, it's worthwhile getting access to the motor and condenser and giving it a good vac out. You may be alarmed at the amount of filth and dust you are storing in there. It's worked for me in my handyman days.
Ok, I was going to drag it out for a looksee when it's a little emptier in the New Year so wil bear that in mind.

Thanks
 For Smokie - fridge-freezers - John Boy
Thanks from me too. I've got a similar problem.
Latest Forum Posts