Non-motoring > Heathrow Third Runway Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 9

Heathrow Third Runway - No FM2R

So, I guess they think that air travel will, at some point, resume its original path and capacity.

www.bbc.com/news/business-55322340
 Heathrow Third Runway - Manatee
I'm guessing the Supreme Court doesn't have or imply a view on that.

I wouldn't be surprised if demand flattens out or even dips a bit. So many people who rejected virtual meetings pre-COVID must now be 'trained' to use them and I certainly prefer my routine meetings that way now, at least with groups I know.
 Heathrow Third Runway - sooty123
I don't think the SC rule on that, I think it was more a narrow legal point. I'm still not sure if it'll ever be built. Might start in 2037.
I appreciate that the SC have not made any comment or taken a view on demand, the statements from Heathrow are what I was referring to.

As you say, whether or not it will ever be built is a whole 'nother subject.
 Heathrow Third Runway - Bromptonaut
As suggested above the SC decision is purely about the legalities of permission and the way it plays vis a vis obligations to reduce CO2 emissions. That decided, the decision as to whether the runway's construction is justified in the light of the pandemic and consequent changes is a matter of policy for the operator and HMG.

www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0042-judgment.pdf

www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0042-press-summary.pdf

Heathrow Third Runway - Bromptonaut
Apparently the judgment was leaked by one of the parties in breach of the Court's embargo:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/barrister-faces-action-for-breach-of-heathrow-judgment-embargo/5106814.article?
 Heathrow Third Runway - sooty123
>> I appreciate that the SC have not made any comment or taken a view on
>> demand, the statements from Heathrow are what I was referring to.
>>
>> As you say, whether or not it will ever be built is a whole 'nother
>> subject.
>>

You'll know more than me, but I don't think it'd be appropriate for them to right now announce, actually we've got cold feet about the whole thing?
 Heathrow Third Runway - CGNorwich
My guess would be that business travel will be slow to recover but leisure travel demand will go through the roof once we are in a post vaccine world. Don’t know where that leaves Heathrow.
>> My guess would be that business travel will be slow to recover but leisure travel
>> demand will go through the roof once we are in a post vaccine world. Don’t
>> know where that leaves Heathrow.

I agree. I'd only that over time I expect business travel to recover to near pre-covid levels.
 Heathrow Third Runway - Zero
If Brexit pans out badly, I would expect Heathrow not to recover to its pre pandemic levels - Ever.

A global pandemic has fast tracked online communication and collaboration, London will no longer be pre eminent in global finance or business.
Latest Forum Posts