Non-motoring > Swallows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 53

Swallows - devonite
Sigh! - mine left this morning at 09.15 - how long before they`re zipping between the wildebeast? - Here comes "back-end" :-(
 Swallows - Ian (Cape Town)
ETA at my place on Sunday, then?
I'd better wax the car beforehand.
 Swallows - Tooslow
I've not seen ours for a few days (North Cheshire). Didn't realise they checked out! Ours just do a runner.

John
But is it an african or european swallow?
 Swallows - Badwolf
One swallow doesn't make a summer. But it certainly makes your day... :-) :-)

There are still quite a few winging around our way, and a few house martins too. It depresses me each year when I realise that I haven't seen a 'summer migrant' for a week or two. Then I know that the dreaded winter is on the way. There is one bird-based compensation with winter though - we get a lot of pink-footed geese round our way and the noise they make as they fly over reminds me of winters (and Christmasses) past and makes me feel all nostalgic.

Swallows - Tooslow
I must listen more closely to the accent next year.

John
 Swallows - R.P.
They were lined up on a telephone wire by the lake here today, some were doing circuits and bumps the others watching....
 Swallows - Kevin
>I must listen more closely to the accent next year.

You don't need to hear them. You can tell by the unladen airspeed.

Kevin...
 Swallows - L'escargot
There are still swallows here on the Lincolnshire east coast.
 Swallows - Zero
thats seagulls.
 Swallows - R.P.
Correction, they're cut and shut seagulls, resprayed a nice two tone and let loose.
 Swallows - Zero
Is that why they leak fluids?
 Swallows - Bromptonaut
House martins were still around earlier in the week but the seem to have vacated the nest. Two clutches this year which is an excellent result. In too many years they've been evicted by sparrows.

Nest this year was a 'new build' so hopefully they've managed to build in a way that makes it inaccessible to the spuggys.
 Swallows - Iffy
...Nest this year was a 'new build' so hopefully they've managed to build in a way that makes it inaccessible to the spuggys....

Hope they got a 10-year guarantee as well.

To be serious, will they use the same nest year after year if left unmolested?
 Swallows - Zero
Yes they do, patching up if required.

If you knock the nest down they may or may not come back, if the nest is there they will.
 Swallows - Bromptonaut
>> To be serious, will they use the same nest year after year if left unmolested?

The nests are certainly re-used. Whether by the same/related individuals I do not know.
 Swallows - Zero
you dont check the passports?
 Swallows - Bromptonaut
While out for an hour or so this morning saw a couple of swallows (on passage?). Looks as though our martins have left in last 48hours.

Something lurking in next door's walnut tree making a high pitched tzeep tzeep call. Can't see the blighter at all.
 Swallows - Armel Coussine
Still quite large crowds of house-martins in southern Brittany, but the weather is getting a bit fresh and they seem restless. Doing their packing perhaps.

I imagine the ones in Languedoc and in Spain are still enjoying a late summer hol.
 Swallows - Tooslow
Until the French shoot 'em and eat 'em. Grrr!

John
Empty headed animal food trough wipers.
 Swallows - R.P.
Saw only one down at the lake doing aerobatics, watched by the Swans and their family. The Swan's cygnets are growing fast, there brownish down rapidly being taken over by their white plumage. I've known them since they were eggs !
 Swallows - R.P.
Reminded of this today - the day I posted that here, there was an old local guy by the lake, he showed me a sprig of holly with berries on it and speculated about an early harsh winter - spot on.
 Swallows - Harleyman
It's usually a good guide, the hawthorn trees round here have been absolutely full of berries this year, and the rowans up in the mountains simply magnificent.

Minus 9 down here tonight, according to the Beeb website. I shan't be going outside to verify it.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 19:05
 Swallows - rtj70
Surehly some of this is down to a good spring?
 Swallows - Zero
the good spring is only down to a previous hard winter.......
 Swallows - rtj70
All I was saying was the berries are because of the spring and summer that faced just passed. I was not linking the spring to last winter as that was not relevant.
 Swallows - Harleyman
Didn't say it was infallible, merely a good guide. It's a bit of country folklore, and as with most things like that there's usually a grain of truth in it.
 Swallows - Zero
they never had the met office in the 1800's
 Swallows - Crankcase
Certainly they did. 1854 officially it started.
 Swallows - rtj70
When those birds migrated over early this year from somewhere it was a sign it got cold there earlier than usual. But if it got cold where they were early then maybe it was a sign it would be a bad winter.

I say it's global warming ;-)
 Swallows - Leif
>> I say it's global warming ;-)

For what it's worth, this year is on track to be one of the hottest on record.
 Swallows - rtj70
I said global warming instead of climate change on purpose. It's not climate change.

:-)
 Swallows - smokie
Try telling 'em in Sennybridge or Loch Glascarnoch that's it's warming...

"In Loch Glascarnoch, in the Highlands, it was -15.3C (4F), and in Sennybridge, in Powys, it was -14.3C (6F)."
 Swallows - Bromptonaut
Summer migrants arrived round your way yet?

Seen Swallows this year and at least one Swift.

There were House Martins around the nest on Friday but doesn't look as though they stayed. Maybe just squatters passing through.
 Swallows - Duncan
Not so many cuckoos though?
 Swallows - Bromptonaut
>> Not so many cuckoos though?

Might have heard one the other week while cycling near MK. The one place I've heard and seen them most is on the Isle of Lewis. Very few trees there; usual host species is ground nesting pipits.
 Swallows - devonite
Yep! - mine arrived back on the 21st April this year, usually its the 22nd! but last year they were back very early on the 2nd. Me thinks flying among Wildebeests would be better than here at the moment!
 Swallows - Dog
Yep, and cuckoos (cuckoo, cuckoo)
 Swallows - R.P.
Noticed the first swallow yesterday - I swear I heard the cuckoo before Easter......
 Midwife toads - bathtub tom
I heard the first midwife toads last week, they drive some people mad!
 Ducklings - Runfer D'Hills
Loads of newborn ducklings round here all of a sudden. Canal towpath behind our house is swarming with them. Keeping our dog persuaded that they are not snacks is proving a bit of a challenge ! He's not actually taken one yet but I know he's contemplating it...

My voice is hoarse !
 Ducklings - MD
Swallows and Martin's here. Also Ducks have appeared in the garden. Nice site.
 Swallows 2012 - Harleyman
First swallows seen about a fortnight ago, somewhere round Builth Wells.
 Swallows 2012 - Dutchie
Haven't seen a swallow.We have some noisy starlings nesting under the corner roof tiles again.

Blacbird nesting in one of the conifers.Live goes on.
 Swallows 2012 - WillDeBeest
Saw my first swifts yesterday, mixing it with the passing Typhoons over Chalfont St Giles. Not seen any at home yet, but the weather's been keeping me indoors in the evenings, which may be the reason. They used to nest - hopefully still do - under the eaves of our previous house, and it's a favourite moment of the spring when they return. I got a little thrill in March last year, seeing swifts from the window of my Johannesburg hotel, thinking about the uncomfortable (to me) journey I'd had to get there, and comparing it with what they had ahead of them.

We do have green woodpeckers nesting in the ash tree two gardens away. Great view from an upstairs window of them enlarging an old hole - you could see the chips flying off the wood as they pecked. They seem well settled now, so we'll be watching for fledglings in the next few weeks.
 Swallows 2012 - MD
How's the 'Greyhound' these days Sir Beest.
 Swallows 2012 - nyx2k
we've has several swallows nesting in the eaves this year and dating back the last 5years.
we have many man made boxes up and have all been occupied this year with various breeds of bird
 Swallows 2012 - WillDeBeest
Martin, I fear I've misled you into thinking I'm more than an occasional visitor to the Chalfonts. I was in CSG for the afternoon, to play cricket (brrr) and the Greyhound appears to be in C St Peter. Next time I'll make a point of stopping to check it out.
}:---D
 Swallows 2012 - Runfer D'Hills
I went to a Burn's night at the Greyhound in Chalfont St Peter once. Swallowed a few as I recall, by way of returning to the topic...
 Swallows 2012 - Cliff Pope
Swallows are back in their old nest today. It's in the garage roof just over the windscreen.
I'll have to re-rig the aerial defences and deploy the barrage fertiliser sack to catch the droppings.
 Swallows 2012 - MD
Peter it is of course. It's the Pheasant at Giles. Cheers........
 Swallows - DeeW
Amazing sight at Blashford Lakes near Fordingbridge on Saturday.. The air above the water was filled, and I mean filled, with swooping, feeding swallows. Never seen anything like it. The dinghies were surrounded as they raced and one of the sailors said it had been like that all day. A wonderous sight.
Last edited by: DeeW on Wed 9 May 12 at 10:11
 Swallows - devonite
Possibly caused by a "hatch" of Mayfly!
Latest Forum Posts