Non-motoring > Isn't music just soooo good. Auctions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 53

Isn't music just soooo good. - No FM2R

This afternoon has driven me down a Spotify rat hole....

Moody Blues, Supertramp, ELO, R.E.M, Focus The Animals, and so many more....

Right now Wasted Time by The Eagles. Which brings back so many memories.

Certainly for me an album means more or less to me depending on the time in my life I associate it with.

So Breakfast in America really hits the spot.

Right, back to it......
Also it reminds me how much I liked the days of listening to one album, start to finish. I regret losing that habit.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - R.P.
Hocus Pocus by Focus ! Remember that being played by my music teacher to a bemused class of 12 year old. Yes it did have an impact. Will have to go looking for more of their sounds...
Telegraph Road - Dire Straits.

You need the volume at 11.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - sooty123
I was quite enjoying snow patrol, chasing cars on YT.
As soon as I get done with The Eurythmics and Thorn in My Side I'm right on it......
 Isn't music just soooo good. - tyrednemotional
>> Will have to go looking for more of their sounds...
>>

...I have a couple of Focus albums on vinyl which get dug out from time-to-time... "In and out of Focus" is worth a listen.
On to Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
 Isn't music just soooo good. - legacylad
Focus. Saw them several times back in the day, most notably at St Georges Hall in Bradford and various uni’s. Mid to late 70s? Without googling and testing my memory, I think they were a 4 piece Dutch band. Thijs van Leer on keyboards ( and yodelling) Jan Ackerman lead guitar..I bought his solo albums.
Same era as the Edgar Broughton Band, Sensational Alex Harvey Band,
Hawkwind et al. I was quite the long haired head banger back then. Still am given half a chance.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Dog
>>Edgar Broughton Band

Inshallah. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXhGgAZc4z8
 Isn't music just soooo good. - smokie
Re the 2nd post...

That's funny, for the current trip to Portugal I put 25 or so of my favourite albums each in it's own playlist on the iPod and have now listened to them all without using shuffle.

I have surprised myself how I can get the tracks in the right order (i.e. remember what's coming next) on many but more so how I still know nearly all of the words.

I have music I listen to much more regularly these days but I couldn't sing the words to many ( - all older stuff, more bluesy).
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 27 Oct 20 at 09:02
 Isn't music just soooo good. - PeterS
Not from the karaoke at the bar next door it isn’t... I can currently here Sade’s ‘Sweetest Taboo’ being murdered, and it’s not pleasant...
I quite enjoyed christina perri, jar of hearts (10 years after)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eeeYi7yNg
>> I quite enjoyed christina perri, jar of hearts (10 years after)
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=58eeeYi7yNg

Oh that's good.
I absolutely cannot stand Sade's music even when it is sung by Sade. She must be *the* most boring singer ever.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - bathtub tom
>> I absolutely cannot stand Sade's music even when it is sung by Sade. She must
>> be *the* most boring singer ever.

Never heard Adele?
>>Never heard Adele?

Not really my sort of thing, but *still* not as bad as Sade.
>> >> I absolutely cannot stand Sade's music even when it is sung by Sade. She
>> must
>> >> be *the* most boring singer ever.
>>
>> Never heard Adele?
>>

Don’t worry...after murdering Sade she had a go at a couple of Adele tracks too...not good. Neither artist, regardless of what you think of their music, has tracks that are remotely suitable for karaoke!!
How's St. Lucia going generally?
>> How's St. Lucia going generally?
>>

Going well thanks! Weather warm, if not hot, and sunny...scattered cloud. Warm sea, nice beach at the hotel. All non motorised water sport activities are free, so a bit of sailing and SUPing. Massages free too... Reasonably busily but not crowded...not all hotels are open. Negative COVID test required to enter the country, temperature taken twice a day (in theory...more like once) in the hotel. Only supposed to leave the hotel to go to other ‘covid safe’ environments - in practice that seems to mean once you’ve been here a few days then you can go pretty much anywhere you like. Food, beer and cocktails good! Mask compliance very high around the hotel, bars, pools and restaurants. Not required when sitting / lying down but pretty much at al other times. But then there have been less than 60 cases (and no deaths) on the whole island since it al kicked off. Locals are keen to see more tourists, and more hotels open. But a bit concerned about the risk. I’m not that concerned...everyone on the flight had a negative COVID test within 7 days of departure; possible they contacted it since of course but only really a risk of catching it from your immediate companion I reckon, and as it’s a 2 4 2 configuration on BA I’m relaxed about that risk. So all in all a good spur of the moment decision!
>> > on the flight had a negative
>> COVID test within 7 days of departure; possible they contacted it since of course but
>> only really a risk of catching it from your immediate companion I reckon, and as
>> it’s a 2 4 2 configuration on BA I’m relaxed about that risk. So all
>> in all a good spur of the moment decision!
>>

Who full was the flight?
>> Who full was the flight?

I reckon it was about two thirds full, maybe a little more in the premium economy / club cabins.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Oct 20 at 11:04
I was correct about Focus. Shows my long term memory is still pretty good! As for the SAHBand, well Alex H was mad as a box of frogs, off his skull every time I saw him perform but an amazing live act when in my teens.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Zero
>> I absolutely cannot stand Sade's music even when it is sung by Sade. She must
>> be *the* most boring singer ever.

Nah, that award goes to Rumer. www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTZ3CO1dxk
That is bad. But it's not as bad as Sade.
Ah but shady is better looking
Not music related however, all 4 parts made me laugh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSvzizqz1Fs
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 26 Oct 20 at 23:50
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Netsur
I'm going to sound like an aged parent, but modern music, either youth music called grime, garage or other stupid names, or atonal stuff BBC R3 likes to commission is rubbish.

I'll take a few albums from 10cc please. Clever lyrics...
>> I'm going to sound like an aged parent, but modern music, either youth music called
>> grime, garage or other stupid names, or atonal stuff BBC R3 likes to commission is
>> rubbish.
>>
>> I'll take a few albums from 10cc please. Clever lyrics...

I am an aged parent, but my musical tastes stretch from the Andrew Sisters, Glen Miller, via crooners, through Yes, Supertramp, Soul, Disco, Stock Aitken Waterman, and I'll take a pussy cat doll anytime.

I've seen the biggies, Eagles, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, ELO (out of the blue spaceship tour) Supertramp, Duran Duran, Spandau, the list goes on My last gig, alas never happened, I had Incognito booked at Ronnie Scotts, CV killed it.

One needs to be eclectic in ones musical tastes, we have working ears for a very long time, there is no need to get bored with such wide style of music around.

Except Punk and most gangsta rap.
I'm sure I must have mentioned it before here but the concert experience which will live with me forever was Desert Trip 2016 at Coachella (California) where each artist did a full 2+ hour set. The artists were

Bob Dylan
The Stones
Paul McCartney
Neil Young
The Who
Roger Waters

I camped onsite with three schoolfriends then after it we toured to New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville. A ral musical trip - though not my only one!

A couple of years back one of those shoolfriends and I bought £30 Lucky Dip tickets for the Stones at Southampton and ended up in the most expensive (ISTR £1500, if anyone really paid that!!) pit, literally right next to the stage - almost too close for a good view but a fantastic experience.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Fullchat
You know when you jump in the car with your 24 year old daughters and the main part of their music collection are the big names from our era that our music is timeless.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Clk Sec
>> So Breakfast in America really hits the spot.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll give that CD an airing this morning while I'm throwing paint around in one of our bedrooms.

Yesterday it was Queen, the Carpenters and El Divo.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - John Boy
Some time ago we had a topic about live music. It took me a while to get my list together. These are musicians I've seen live in concert halls, clubs, pubs or at small festivals:

In the 60's and 70's - Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Yardbirds with Sonny Boy Williamson, Bob Dylan 1965 & 1966 UK tours, Jesse Fuller, Savoy Brown Blues Band, Lol Coxhill (busking), Roxy Music.

More recently - Neil Young with Booker T and the MGs, Catfish Keith, The Hamsters, Nine Below Zero, Paul Young, Rory McLeod, Dave Hole, Nitin Sawhney, Salif Keita, Praying For The Rain, Baka Beyond, Kangaroo Moon, Transglobal Underground, Bob Geldorf, Sly & Robbie & Taxi Gang Band, Dhol Foundation, Afro Celt Sound System, Laurie Anderson, Richard Thompson.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Fullchat
Santana anyone?
one or two good ones, but all very "samey"
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Pezzer
Love Abraxas ........
Abraxas was one of the albums I put on my iPod. Disappointed with it. Mind you, you'd be disappointed with some of mine... :-)
Ok here is a musical diversion.

Golden Brown by the stranglers - a classic I'm sure you'll all agree

The original www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs&ab

A mariachi version.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs&ab

This is really clever, very well cut indeed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs&ab
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Robin O'Reliant
My favourite in-car foot tapper at the moment -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbI8uVUFP4
OMG no wonder the sheep are scared out your way
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Crankcase
If you want foot tappers...I'm always in awe of this one, I could do this for about five seconds.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2j8f7H2WY
>> If you want foot tappers...I'm always in awe of this one, I could do this
>> for about five seconds.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2j8f7H2WY

Quite like a bit of bluegrass

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOy-Y5aw9n4&ab_channel=Sam28761

Dont think they know it, but it has a fair amount of European roma influence.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - tyrednemotional
>> Santana anyone?
>>

...genuinely, once described to me by a girlfriend as "knicker-dropping music"....

(And yes, over the years I've invested in a good few of their albums ;-) )

Caravanserai for me - but I can't agree with Z that it is all "samey" - Contrast "Supernatural" with "Abraxas".
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 27 Oct 20 at 20:12
Now I like Santana. Saw him and his musicians three times in a month mid 70s. My pal at uni in Leicester ( De Montford Hall) then locally at Leeds, then another pal at Liverpool uni.
Great days when I travelled around the country most weekends visiting school pals at different unis.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - MD
Are there any Country fans here? Well don't knock it until you've tried a fairly young (in time) band called 'Midland' and their 2017 album entitled "On the Rocks".
>> Are there any Country fans here?

Only if you want to hear singers wailing about crops failing, poverty, the local bar, people drowning in the crick, your horse dying, your wife leaving for your best friend, your dog being your only friend (it dies)

Isn't music just soooo good. - MD
Try it, you might like it.
>> Try it, you might like it.

I listened to a Johnny Cash track yesterday, does he count as country? It was that amusing "one piece at a time". I don't mind a bit of country occasionally at all.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - CGNorwich
Spookily accurate description of Norfolk life.
 Isn't music just soooo good. - Kevin
>...genuinely, once described to me by a girlfriend as "knicker-dropping music"....

And I can confirm that. Put Abraxas on and if she hasn't relieved you of your shreddies before Samba Pa Ti is half way through you're gonna need a better warmup routine.
I just stumbled over these two videos. Probably been living under a rock, so if you know these, well, I tried.

This first one is a cover of Creep, and boy, can she sing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

And this one is from something like Kazakhstan's Got Talent I'm afraid, but BOY can he sing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEz1qGS0T1Q
Sorry to reply to my own. Forgot this one. Amazing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

I liked the first and third link, the second not really my thing. Didn't think much of it tbh.
>> I just stumbled over these two videos. Probably been living under a rock, so if
>> you know these, well, I tried.
>>
>> This first one is a cover of Creep, and boy, can she sing.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

Been dipping in and out of PMJ for a couple of years now, all of it is unique and clever for sure, some of it is very very good, some "shrug" and some very much "WTF oh dear god no!"
Latest Forum Posts