Non-motoring > Do you have a head for heights? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 51

Do you have a head for heights? - smokie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I&feature=player_embedded#
 Do you have a head for heights? - Dave_
I made it as far as 2:52... I actually feel quite sick now.

I'm not that good with heights, btw :)
 Do you have a head for heights? - rtj70
Not a job I'd like to have to do!
 Do you have a head for heights? - Iffy
I wonder why the face of the climbing buddy was pixellated?

Surely, he cannot expect to be anonymous - how many people do they have climbing that tower?

"Wasn't me mate - could have been anyone!"

Do you have a head for heights? - Zero
All to fix a blown bulb in the Aircraft strobe light?

No way Jose, it can stay dark up there.

Impressive wave guide tho.
 Do you have a head for heights? - hawkeye
>> I made it as far as 2:52... I actually feel quite sick now.
>>
>> I'm not that good with heights, btw :)
>>

Watched it all but not in full-screen, hanging on to my desk. I'm useless with ladders but managed my glider pilot's licence years ago in an open-cockpit Slingsby and still enjoy an aircraft flight whenever it crops up. No logic to it.
 Do you have a head for heights? - bathtub tom
I get funny looking down the stairwell of a twelve story building, but happily jumped from 1800 feet.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Bromptonaut
How much sway would there be at the top of a 1700 foot mast?

I've long fancied the idea of visiting the mast at Emley Moor but at least that's concrete.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 20:49
 Do you have a head for heights? - Zero
It may be concrete, but it still sways...
 Do you have a head for heights? - swiss tony
'' If there's a storm..... there's no quick way down''

I beg to differ!
Be once only though!

I did fancy a strawberry jam sarnie up until a moment ago! ;-)
 Do you have a head for heights? - Skoda
Where's the getting down video?

There's a few points where he was climbing up and i thought that's all well and good but stuff trying to come back down again!

Parachute i guess?
 Do you have a head for heights? - movilogo
All skyscrapers sway quite a bit. Structurally they'll remain safe even when occupants will start to vomit. So the sway is reduced in design more for psychological reason than engineering reason.

I remember a hall of residence in Manchester (only 18 stories high) would way in strong wind and you could feel it. Not getting me up a mast that high.
 Do you have a head for heights? - MD
No sway = SNAP = death. It's all in the Engineering. Brilliant. Not for me though.
Realise they need to sway and I was pointing out even an 18 storey tower will sway and you can feel it. The masts must use mountain climbers or base jumpers. And I am sure they must wear a parachute of some sort.
In my apprentice days at BT, the jokers got me to climb a pole (probably less than 30') and cut the only wire at the top.

You would not believe how much a thirty foot wooden pole can whip when you remove the tension of a single telephone wire!
 Do you have a head for heights? - -
Watched that a few minutes ago and i still feel dizzy, in fact quite unwell.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Ted
>> It may be concrete, but it still sways...

.....and it did fall down once..

tx.mb21.co.uk/emley/eyewitness/index.shtml

I can do the top of the gable at home ok and I don't mind Blackpool Tower and the like but that made my sphincter tighted considerably.

You'd have to have a lot of trust in the guy who welded those pegs on !

Ted
>>
Last edited by: Ted on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 23:44
>> I can do the top of the gable at home

Our old house needed very very long ladders to get at the top of the gable end to paint the boards.... and legally you needed someone at the bottom of the ladder. To repoint you needed scaffolding too. Well rid of that.

Those two climbing were very trusting. They had to have safety equipment of some sorts - like a base jumper's parachute.
 Do you have a head for heights? - VxFan
Clicked on link and got the message "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by TheOnLineEngineer.org"
 Do you have a head for heights? - spamcan61
>> Clicked on link and got the message "This video is no longer available due to
>> a copyright claim by TheOnLineEngineer.org"
>>

Same here, I won't get to see that impressive waveguide now :-/
 Do you have a head for heights? - spamcan61
Now available here ( for now anyway):-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXuzrIN_x2M
 Do you have a head for heights? - Dog
I wouldn't be able to do that even for a £1m, my heart would just stop ~ dead.
 Do you have a head for heights? - BiggerBadderDave
"Now available here"

Someone has commented that the big bag he has dangling below him isn't actually for his tools, it's for his enormous balls. Touche.
>> >> It may be concrete, but it still sways...
>>
>> .....and it did fall down once..
>>

On a clear day the mast at Emley was visible from our primary school window.

I remember the night it fell. No ITV or BBC2 but we could still get BBC1; in days of VHF/405 lines it was transmitted from Holme Moss.

It's the not roped bit that gets me. Guess inthe UK the climber would have to be fully harnessed and the mast equipped with an appropriate roping system controlled from the ground.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Cliff Pope
>> It's the not roped bit that gets me. >>

No, I'd be sick after the first 10 feet, roped or not.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Redviper
There is no way I could do that for anything or anyone!

As said above more than 10 feet I would feel sick regardless of a rope or not. I dont mind admitting!
 Do you have a head for heights? - helicopter
I just kept thinking nice watch that guy was wearing ... wonder what it is?

Greater or lesser heights don't worry me at all, falling does though...Its an attitude of mind and IMO if you think you are going to fall you will fall.

Fred Dibnah would have done that climb in his overalls and cloth cap with a roll up in his mouth.........and carried a couple of bottles of Guinness for refreshment.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Fursty Ferret
I noticed the same thing, retpocileh. I wouldn't climb anything with a bracelet style watch on, my own has a tendency to slide up my wrist and jam there, meaning I can't move that hand until it drops back.
 Do you have a head for heights? - AnotherJohnH
>> >> It may be concrete, but it still sways...
>>
>> .....and it did fall down once..
>>

I've been up to the 900 level in the concrete one on a _very_ windy day.

Quite disturbing.

I dangled my camera from the overhead cable tray, and it was jumping about as the building moved around it.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Netsur
I have been up the CN tower in Toronto where they have a glass floor. It is so high up that I refused to go on it - although my children happily mucked about on it!

I think the CN tower viewing gallery is at least as high as the Empire State Building?
 Do you have a head for heights? - Runfer D'Hills
I was standing on that very glass floor in Toronto a couple of years ago. I was OK until a bunch of teenagers got on it beside me and started jumping up and down trying to break it.....

:-(
I went up a tower in Frankfurt which was also pretty high and the lift was super fast.

This is the wiki site but I see it's only about 1100 feet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europaturm
The view from the glass floor at the CN Tower

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CNTowerNastyFall.jpg
The tower I went up in Frankfurt was nowhere near as high but high enough if you don't like heights that much.

The day I went up the Empire State building, the day before the lift had plummeted to the ground level - emergency brakes worked.
 Do you have a head for heights? - henry k
>> The view from the glass floor at the CN Tower
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CNTowerNastyFall.jpg
>>
I prefer this view.
tinyurl.com/32fg73g

I Googled CNN tower glass floor and got lots of images
Another view
tinyurl.com/349cqmz
Speaking of glass, a cousin of mine was a fairly senior manager in BP.

One of their buildings in Victoria, London, was not very high - four or five storeys - but had a glass skin.

By which I mean the exterior walls were floor to ceiling glass.

It proved unworkable, with staff feeling sick if they had to go anywhere near the edge of a floor.

This was fixed by bolting what looked like a wide plank to the inside of glass wall at about waist height.

The plank was mounted an inch or so away from the glass and ran all the way around each floor - looked quite neat.

When I was in the building, it was very reassuring to rest one hand on the top edge of the plank as you approached the glass.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Dog
S'funny ... I quite enjoy heights and would luv to be X 3 the height of the highest high on the planet,
But ... 5ft up a ladder and I become Blancmange.
It's funny how people behave on safety glass when it's the floor itself, e.g. in these towers. People don't like standing on it. Similar things happen in aquariums. One I went to on Maui had sharks in the tank and you walked through a glass tunnel. A large percentage of people stepped on the supports between the glass panels in the floor rather than 'risk' the glass breaking and ending up with the sharks :-)
Might have got this wrong but I do seem to remember a guide at the CN tower saying that the glass part of the floor was actually stronger than the solid part which led up to it.

I had to give myself a good talking to before stepping out on to it all the same. At first it was really disorienting and scary but after a while it felt OK and what a view. As mentioned before though, when those kids started junping up and down on it enough to vibrate it under your feet I was fairly swiftly outathere.....
 Do you have a head for heights? - R.P.
Diamonds on the soles of your shoes ?

Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 11:11
Heh heh, now that would be a mean trick !

I went up the Twin Towers in NY too some years ago. Glad I did that and experienced it as it was intended.
I'm not mad keen on driving over high bridges.

Never used to bother me, but in the last few years I've become a bit uneasy, particularly if it's easy to see over the side.

Seems worse when the roof of the CC3 is down.

Last time I was in Scotland, I thought I was going to have a bit of bother with what I think is called the Erskine Bridge.

I trundled over OK in the end, so I was pleased about that.

Some bridges have drivers available for those who really struggle with what is apparently called gephyrophobia.

tinyurl.com/382odyb
When we were kids we used to cycle out to the then fairly new Forth Road Bridge. You could, indeed maybe still can, cycle over the footpath section to the side of and seperate from the main carriageway deck. I don't suppose there were cameras on it at that time because we regularly used to climb over the safety rail and hang out over the drop for a dare.

Totally stupid of course. I'd be appalled if my son did that now.
The Dartford crossing on a bike is superb.....I keep yearning to blast down to that mega bridge in France..maybe next spring.
...The Dartford crossing on a bike is superb...

It's a lot less than superb for some users.

Crossing assistance for those with vertigo was removed, and there's now a campaign to bring it back:

tinyurl.com/3a65cp7
The only thing that worried me was a case of rubbernecking - seriously impressive.
I think you might be right about me needing a motorbike PU.......

Ashamed to say I've ridden them for years (albeit not in this country) without a bike licence. Most non-western locations are far more interested in whether you can pay the rental than whether you have appropriate documentation.

Done numerous off-road trips on all manner of ropey trailies when in Brazil.

Should really get around to doing a course and test sometime. Trouble is, I'd then go and buy one wouldn't I ?
The two bridges that carry the A5 around Chirk look like they've very flimsy barriers and walking over them could be a challenge:
tinyurl.com/33fhk4w
tinyurl.com/38js7k9

Anyone else taken a boat over the pontcysyllte aqueduct? Scary, looking over the side.
 Do you have a head for heights? - hawkeye
>> tinyurl.com/38js7k9
>>
>> Anyone else taken a boat over the pontcysyllte aqueduct? Scary, looking over the side.
>>

Yes, me, 25 years ago. I was supposed to be the skipper because of my (ahem) boat handling skills but I handed over white-faced to my chum, ran below and hid under a duvet. Terrifying. Coming back involved crossing the aqueduct while I slept off a long pub lunch.
 Do you have a head for heights? - Focusless
Another one: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13274947

I wonder how much those guys get paid?
Latest Forum Posts