Non-motoring > Hollow wall anchors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 42

Hollow wall anchors - Bobby
I fitted a wall mounted TV bracket in my daughter's bedroom wall. Used these to secure the bracket and it is solid (didn't use a setting tool as didn't know such a thing existed)
www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m6-x-52mm-20-pack/68410

She is now wanting her living room TV wall mounted. However the living room wall is actually three sheets of plasterboard thick (its the dividing wall between them and next door). She tells me that makes it 40mm thick so the above anchors will not be suitable.

The longest Screwfix seem to do are these at 72mm www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-hollow-wall-anchors-16-32mm-m5-x-72mm-10-pack/11143 but I'm guessing by the description that the biggest that will work for is 32mm.

Anyone any idea best fixings to use on platerboard thats 40mm thick? And no, the studs don't seem to be in suitable positions!

Hollow wall anchors - No FM2R
This?

www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-plasterboard-fixings-20-x-205mm-25-pack/6621p
cheers - never saw them - but they spec say suitable for wall thickness 9.5-15mm.
Dont know why it needs a 205mm bolt though!
A while ago I had a similar issue. I just bought some new longer bolts for ones I'd already got.

Given the weight of a TV is not great in the scheme of things, it's difficult to see that changing the length of the bolt can matter much.

I think they've just quoted the thickness of standard plasterboard.

Perhaps they´re envisaging that normal usage would be a thick article to be hung, rather than a thick wall to hang it to. If you see what I mean.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 14:48
 Hollow wall anchors - Manatee
205mm is 8". It's probably the size of the box they come in, filled in on the product database by a 12 year old assistant product manager.

Buy some and investigate the long bolts option.
 Hollow wall anchors - sherlock47
If you look at the example photos it would appear that the GripIt body is a single assembly that is inserted into the hole in in the pboard before the wings are extended, the screw is then screwed in.

ie the assembly can only then cope with thicknesses of upto 15mm max.

screw length appears to be an aberration.

Modern building standards may have been reduced, but not to 40mm as a party wall! Unless of course it is a cheapo conversion:)
>>ie the assembly can only then cope with thicknesses of upto 15mm max.

That would appear to be the case. So what about something like this? Which is more similar to the stuff here. Though you'd have to be sure it would be strong enough, though presumably you're using somewhere between 4 and 8 of them.

www.diy.com/departments/diall-spring-toggle-l-90mm-dia-14mm-pack-of-2/1511941_BQ.prd

>>Modern building standards may have been reduced, but not to 40mm as a party wall!

Obviously, but a 205mm bolt might start interfering with something.
>>(its the dividing wall between them and next door).

Just checking, she just means they've put extra layers of plasterboard on a cavity, or perhaps stud, wall, right? There's no chance of an over-long bolt going through the wall into the neighbours living room?
 Hollow wall anchors - Manatee
Maybe you shouldn't make holes in it if it's a party wall.

From Taylor Wimpey's website:

"In timber framed homes, the separating wall is also timber framed. It may be finished with extra layers of plasterboard and incorporate sound absorbent material.

Whichever method is used, you should not reduce the thickness of the wall or make holes in the plasterboard lining, for example, to install an extra power point or recess a bookshelf. This may reduce its sound insulation and fire resistance. In England and Wales work on separating walls may also be subject to the Party Wall etc. Act."

www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/customer-service/building-your-house/how-new-homes-are-built#na
 Hollow wall anchors - Zero
This is the likely structure of the party wall

www.robustdetails.com/patterns/selecting-your-robust-details/timber-walls/e-wt-1/#2630

>> Anyone any idea best fixings to use on platerboard thats 40mm thick? And no, the
>> studs don't seem to be in suitable positions!

You need to make the studs suitable. Build a frame attached to the studs, using batons in the right places to mount the TV cover it with plasterboard, then mount the tV on it.

How you going to deal with the cables, where is the VCR/TVIO/SKY box going?

YOu can buy units that deal with those units and mount the TV on a pylon
Problem solved

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTERBOARD-HOLLOW-CAVITY-WALL-FIXINGS-SPRING-TOGGLE-ANCHORS-WITH-SCREWS/181956662740?hash=item2a5d7655d4:g:HBIAAOSw8T9drxPI

M5 75mm 100mm
or M6 75mm

While you are at it it maybe an idea to measure the cavity thickness as well, It may be difficult if a solid insulation panel has bee used.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 15:51
I keep seeing these type of toggle fixings - maybe they are the answer but they dont allow you to set it up and then remove the screw like the original fixings I posted. I would need to put all 6 /8 bolts in the wall at the same time.

Think I might have a trial on some old bits of plasterboard I have lying about!
. >>>>I would need to put all 6 /8 bolts in the wall at the same time.<<<

so what is the problem?????

Marke the holes thro the bracket - drill holes large enough for the toggles- put the screws thro the bracket- tighten up - and you are done.

Easy after 2 bottle s of wine.

>>How you going to deal with the cables, where is the VCR/TVIO/SKY box going?

Electrician has done new sockets on the wall and put in "sockets" with brush covers for the HDMI to come from the TV through the wall to the socket above skirting board where the Virgin Box is on a coffee table thingy.

Really dont want to go down the road of cutting up the plasterboard to install frames.That will get very messy and way beyond my capabilities. Unless I mounted a frame on the room side onto the studs and then TV onto the frame but that would mean there being a big gap between TV and wall.

>>Unless I mounted a frame
>> on the room side onto the studs and then TV onto the frame but that
>> would mean there being a big gap between TV and wall.

Not that big. 15 to 20 mm max, as suggested above you make a feature of it, with back lighting.
 Hollow wall anchors - bathtub tom
>>You need to make the studs suitable. Build a frame attached to the studs, using batons in the right places to mount the TV cover it with plasterboard, then mount the tV on it.

Are you suggesting they should remove existing plasterboard so the new mounting is flush with the existing wall, or build a surface on top of the existing wall?

I know you had fun with floating shelves ;>)

>> Are you suggesting they should remove existing plasterboard so the new mounting is flush with
>> the existing wall, or build a surface on top of the existing wall?

On top, you could include back lighting from the sides
Must have a look at finding the studs and see if that is possible. Interestingly the sparky had an android phone and a separate device that he plugged into it which acted as a stud finder - apparently also finds cables and even rodents allegedly!
Was quite impressive to see in action - doesnt work with ios though.
I've seen that in use, its a ruddy marvel
>> Interestingly the sparky had an android phone and a separate device that he plugged into it which acted as a stud finder

In the middle of the space that the TV will occupy on the wall cut a 2" square hole. (If you do it carefully you can stuck the same piece back in and fill it & sand it).

Then using something like a metal coathanger unravelled, or a suitable metal measuring tape, poke in the hole sideways until it reaches the stud, note the distance and then measure on the outside. Is that clear?

Find one either side and decide how they may best be used. Perhaps by putting a piece of wood across as a mount if you can't use the studs directly.
 Hollow wall anchors - Lemma
We don't have a party wall but what our handyman did was to take a suitably sized piece of thick plywood, attach it the studs and then fix the TV wall bracket to that when we moved in. I would strongly suggest burying the wire/cables as otherwise it will look rather unattractive.

I have just mounted a 27" computer monitor on a wall mount. Pretty straightforward and the cables tuck behind the desk. Works well as it leaves the desktop clear. In fact the computer, a Mac Mini, is also on a wall mount. Plasterboard overlying rough brickwork and no problem with fixtures or the weight involved with either unit.
 Hollow wall anchors - Terry
MDF or plywood "rectangle" a little larger than the fixing points for the TV bracket ~ 20 x 20cm.

Drill holes in rectangle for TV bracket.

Glue to wall using "no more nails" or similar. This should be plenty strong enough for a small or medium size TV.

If necessary a couple of short screws through the plywood/MDF into the plasterboard - most of the stress is sheer and lightly tightened will hold rectangle until glue properly set.

Fix TV to the "rectangle" using the predrilled fixings.
So you saying put up a 55 inch £1k TV with No Nails in effect?
 Hollow wall anchors - tyrednemotional
...with rear-firing speakers the neighbours will really appreciate that on a thin party-wall. ;-)
>>So you saying put up a 55 inch £1k TV with No Nails in effect?

It'd probably work. But the difference between probably and definitely could be of considerable expense.

I wouldn't risk it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 20:02
With a 50 inch board, screwed and glued with 400 inches of no nails, I would.

Dont forget they put aeroplanes together with glue
But if at some point in the future you decide you want to change things about, how do you remove that board?
Cut out and re sheet of wall?
You tell them to sort it out themselves because they P***ed you about in the first place
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 20:41
>> With a 50 inch board, screwed and glued with 400 inches of no nails, I
>> would.

Plaster board is covered with paper of some sort. I have pulled a layer of paper off when pulling some tiles away from the board.

So surely the glue is about as strong as the paper it is glued to? Now I realise that's pretty strong, but still.......
Its all about surface area and direction of shear. You were pulling tiles away from the wall, small total area.

Try sliding tiles down the wall. You cant.,
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 29 Aug 20 at 05:03
 Hollow wall anchors - CGNorwich
>> With a 50 inch board, screwed and glued with 400 inches of no nails, I
>> would.
>>
>> Dont forget they put aeroplanes together with glue
>>

Basically the same method as my gas fitter will use in order to fix the new boiler to the airing cupboard interior stud wall.
 Hollow wall anchors - MD
Is you 'avin a larf Tel?
Who, me?

Well, if I am being stupid then yes, I was just having a larf. But if I'm being clever and you mean someone else, then no, I'm not.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 21:30
 Hollow wall anchors - MD
Terry from 18.47 p.m. Settle down my son.
Sorry Dad.
 Hollow wall anchors - MD
I represent that remark - Mark.
Here you go Bobby, do a classy job of it.

www.frameyourtv.co.uk/
I think that's brilliant. Ugly things, TVs.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 15:26
 Hollow wall anchors - Fursty Ferret
Just use one of these to find the studs,
amzn.to/2ZImQBO

She may wish to have a polite discussion with her neighbour once it's up and check on noise levels since it's likely to transmit very clearly through the wall depending on the mount.
 Hollow wall anchors - zippy
Some good tips here.

I have been reluctant to wall mount our TV as it weighs over 90lbs but might give it a thought now.
 Hollow wall anchors - bathtub tom
I refused to mount a curtain rail to my daughter's new home, for heavy, velvet curtains, as I could see it was a stud wall.
The fitters she had, used eight inch screws (I think), through the stud into the outside wall, with rawlplugs in the stud and outside wall - so they told me.
 Hollow wall anchors - martin aston
Doesn’t a stud wall inside the outer skin suggest its timber framed? If so the moisture barrier will have been pierced.
Even if it’s conventional build fastening right through to the outside wall is either genius or ill-advised. I am not sure which. No doubt someone better informed will know.
Latest Forum Posts