Non-motoring > What is the best child's investment? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 18

What is the best child's investment? - FotheringtonTomas
A couple of thou to start with (or a few hundred for a number of "installments") - followed by a (much) smaller regular amount, possibly supplemented by little extras. Age 8 3/4. For use at majority.
 What is the best child's investment? - BiggerBadderDave
My retired Mam and Dad are cash-poor but have regularly been putting a tenner away for my 6 and 7 year old since they were born, supplemented by little extras. They've got about £3k each now and it hasn't been a great hardship for the folks.
How have they been "putting it away", though? That's the question. Any ideas appreciated.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 20:27
 What is the best child's investment? - BiggerBadderDave
I don't really know the details FT but they both have a Natwest account in their own name.
 What is the best child's investment? - MD
Decent Parents.
 What is the best child's investment? - Zero
long term (5 year) bonds are best but all the money needs to go in up front.

Premium bonds?
 What is the best child's investment? - John H
>> Age 8 3/4. For use at majority.
>>

Obviously missed out on www.childtrustfund.gov.uk/ by nine months.

A couple of thou no good for bricks and mortar, but IMO the alternative is to drip the cash into BRICs funds (index trackers) which should be a good bet; cannot say if it will be "the best child's investment".
Above subject to usual warnings about not being advice, not guaranteed, risky, can go up or down, etc.
Last edited by: John H on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 20:35
 What is the best child's investment? - Tooslow
BICs yes, BRICS no. Invest money in Russia? You expect to get it out again?

India & China first choice, then Brazil and get the barge pole out for Russia.

John
 What is the best child's investment? - Bellboy
What is the best child's investment?
>
>>>>> having time to show them spiders,how to blow bubbles and how to have fun with a sheet of folded paper
money means nothing to a child
give them memories of how you were, not how much folding you can flash
 What is the best child's investment? - Zero
how to climb trees.
 What is the best child's investment? - Ted
Education !
Restrict their telly/gameboy time.
Read to them and let them ask questions. My 5yr old G'Son knows all about Blue Whales and his dad's just made him a book with info and pics downloaded from the interweb.

He enquires, what do things weigh, how long is from A to B, who invented that, etc,etc.

Ted
 What is the best child's investment? - Perky Penguin
It is a problem for all of us, right now. SFAIK there is no safe investment or savings instrument which pays out more that inflation which is 3.1%, I think. To be fair I have a cash ISA @ 3.2% but 0/1% in hand is pitiful.
 What is the best child's investment? - Crankcase
Counter invest. I don't have any money (if I did I'd lose it all) but I set up a spreadsheet two months ago with 20k "invested" in those stunning stars, RBS, BA, BP and Shell, deliberately picking shares that the media was being extra gloomy about at that moment.

Still waiting for BP, but all the others are in profit and the "portfolio" overall is 3% up today. It's been in the black most of that time. If it were real I could cash it in now with £600 profit, which is ok by me for eight weeks doing nothing.

I appreciate it might well be at minus eight squillion in ten minutes though.

What is the best child's investment? - vitesse
UK all share index tracker with smallest TER (total expense ratio). Easy to know whether you are up or down, buying even modest amounts on a regular basis can benefit from market falls and if you feel the market is high you can quickly switch to cash

vitesse
 What is the best child's investment? - Dulwich Estate
No doubt about it at all. Get them a pension - now. You can pay in up to £3600 per year and there's even tax relief. Imagine the total amount compounded up in 60 years time.

Next priority -education.
>> No doubt about it at all. Get them a pension

"For use at majority". See OP.
 What is the best child's investment? - CGNorwich
Gold sovereigns.
 What is the best child's investment? - Iffy
.."For use at majority". See OP....

Yeah, he can do what feckless young men do and cash it in when he's 18 or 21, only to regret it 40 years later.

If you accept you are going to force on this child what's good for it, a pension is a darn good idea.

Hopefully, the little mite can have that and also play with bits of paper and learn to love trees and his granddad.

What is the best child's investment? - bottomlesspit
8yr old and 5yr old, since the first was born been saving all of the child benefit, last time I checked it was at about 13k so will go towards uni if they take that route.

Actually made me think, once the rate get better I'll move it all into a long term bonds or such

Latest Forum Posts