Non-motoring > Bargain Watch - Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 86

Bargain Watch - - R.P.
.....if you like them - they retail at 125.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/CASIO-G-SHOCK-CHRONOGRAPH-WATCH-NEW-/360281347389?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item53e271153d
 Bargain Watch - - Marc
Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark that seller for the future.

I'm not interested in the watch personally. I think £38 is probably the realistic level for it (I'm no expert) but it's no way worth £125 surely.

Last edited by: Marc on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 18:03
 Bargain Watch - - R.P.
It was found by people on a BMW (bikes) website I subscribe to - Ideal watch on a bike, not for me though.
 Bargain Watch - - Perky Penguin
Could make a very good present for a teenager for Xmas
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Tooslow
Littlewoods have an ebay shop too. They get some top brand name outdoor gear at amazingly low prices from time to time. Which seems odd as they don't sell them in the shop, so far as I know. I don't set foot in the shop on my rare visits to the bright lights for shop bought clothes.

John
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Skoda
One of my ex-bosses swore by these. They cost a lot more than £40 to repair!
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Bellboy
only like leather and steel on my wrist

im partial to an orange sometimes too

but only to eat you understand.......
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Runfer D'Hills
I've a a Casio G Shock digital chrono which I use for holidays, mountain biking, skiing, swimming and diving. Solar powered, never needs a battery and it gets a radio time signal so it's always accurate too. It's also smart enough to know where in the world it is and adjusts the time accordingly. Alarm clock, stopwatch etc and it lights up if you want it to. Clever thing and useful too. Much cleverer than my old Tag but not as nice to look at. Wife bought it for me a few years ago so I'd not be sure what it cost. Shouldn't think is was all that expensive though.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Mike Hannon
Not long ago, after I had expressed admiration for it, my friend gave me his very convincing fake Breitling Navitimer, for which he paid 75 euros earlier this year in Azerbaijan.
I've always had a yen for a Navitimer, since the days when it was plugged by the legendary Bill Boddy in Motor Sport, but never wanted to pay of course.
But after a couple of days I decided it was too big and unwieldy and I really couldn't cope with knowing that ultimately, it was only a fake.
I gave it back.
A nice 38 quid Casio would suit, I think.
Further to your tale Mike, a pal of mine used to live in Aberdeen but travelled to Hong Kong regularly. While there on one trip he bought a dodgy/fake Rolex for reasons he can't remember. It certainly looked the part but had only cost him buttons.

Shortly afterwards, he went to play squash when back in Aberdeen. He left his clothes and the hookey watch on a peg in the changing room. When he came back he put his kit back on and couldn't help noticing that the watch now looked a bit bashed about. Not only that it felt slightly heavier too..... are you ahead of me yet ?

Yep, some bozo had switched his old, slightly tatty genuine Rolex for my mate's pristine but fake one !

Friend deliberated for a while and decided more fool the thief. He took it into a jewelers to get it cleaned up and told his tale. The jeweler confirmed it as real and also confirmed that he had not been advised of it being stolen so he cleaned and polished it up for my pal, made it look really good in fact. He wore it for years. Probably still does.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 20:03
 Bargain Outdoor gear - hawkeye
>> Yep, some bozo had switched his old, slightly tatty genuine Rolex for my mate's pristine
>> but fake one !
>>

Similar thing; I bought Mrs H a fake Rolex with jewelled dial in New York and separately came by a fake gold Rolex from the far east which I gave to Mrs H. We had a break in and the fake Rolexes vanished but the real thing, with paint splashes on it, was left behind.

Bargain Outdoor gear - Netsur
I have owned many watches over the years but after dallying with several I have come to realise that my favourite watches have the following features: -

Slim
Light (weightwise)
Have numerals not pips
Therefore they are analogue
Luminous
Swimproof even after the back has been open
Reliable
Show the date and have a second hand on the main dial

I have therefore found three watches which suit me: -

For everyday I have a Skagen titanium which I bought on a Lufthansa flight for £60 and you see advertised in the Telegraph for a similar amount. Its luminosity is not great

For travelling I have a Seiko with a stainless steel case, green face and fabric strap and incredibly clear and highly luminous numerals

For best I have an Oris automatic with a crystal back and rose gold trim. If it were not for the leather strap I would use it all the time, but I don't want to swim with it on or take it to work where it could get damaged.

I have tried these heavy Breitlings, Rolexes etc, but I feel like a gorilla with one arm dangling by my knee.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - MD
There is only one thing to have dangling by your Knee Esp' and it ain't a watch.

If only!!!!!!
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Zero
I want a Hamilton Ventura watch.
you would
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Marc
"I want a Hamilton Ventura watch."

Very avantgarde design. I've had a Hamilton watch for over 10 years (not a Ventura). Nobody seems to have heard of them.

"For best I have an Oris automatic"

Good watches - as used by the Luftwaffe IIRC.
Last edited by: Marc on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 20:33
>> Good watches - as used by the Luftwaffe IIRC.
>>
And a lot of good it did them too!
Hey - the RAF used to set their watches by them.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Kevin
>I have tried these heavy Breitlings, Rolexes etc, but I feel like a gorilla with one arm dangling by my knee.

Mrs K and I both have Breitlings. Mine's a Chronomat and I don't find it particularly heavy.

I have something of a watch fetish and a firm belief in the statement that "The only jewellery a man needs is a good watch". That means analogue and mechanical for formal occassions.

Kevin...
I'd agree with that E, except for "numerals not pips", I prefer it the other way around, with an especial distaste for Roman numerals. Have you looked at Mondaine?
My day to day is a Tissot bought in Dubai at a substantial discount, with a G Shock for when I'm doing heavy duty stuff.

John
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Netsur
Ughh - Roman numerals! It has to be real digits (Arabic numerals?) not lots of Xs, Vs or Is.

If Arabic numerals is the correct nomenclature, why does Arabic have totally different symbols for numbers??

And getting slightly political - at least Arabic has numerals, unlike Classical Hebrew which uses only words (".............and the life of Sarah was One Hundred Years and Twenty Years and Seven Years.................")

Bargain Outdoor gear - Redfire
And in Arabic they use Indian numbers funny old world
>> I've a a Casio G Shock digital chrono ...

Humph, perhaps you would confirm that the big second hand is used for the stopwatch function?

I'm looking for a replacement waterproof stopwatch to time my swimmers with after trashing my cheap Jeep watch and that would suit me nicely.

Mrs H would say I have too many watches already but one more wouldn't be noticed. Would it?

Hawkeye, mine doesn't have hands, just numbers, but the one PU pointed out might be just the thing for your purposes. I've got another chronograph, Timberland branded but with a budget Japanese movement which does exactly as you describe.

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 20:48
ive got about 10 under a £100 watches at home collected almost yearly as the batteries ran flat
anyway last month i bought a card of batteries of that internet site as i was sick of looking at time stood still
now bare with me coz i aint shocked easily
but on removing the various rears of all these watches , i was flabbergosted to find they were hemlocked in mainly by lumps of white plastic
all the watches were exactly the same movement to a t but with a different face :-(
gutted.............

so it turns out the only decent watch i really posses is a marvin from 1975
Don't tell me yer Gaye?
No, but he is paranoid.

John
>> No, but he is paranoid.
>>
>> John
>>
>>>>>>>> i have a few paranoid films
well i think they are paranoid because they dont like panavision because he got new glasses
eh?
gaye?
me
dont think so
I bought a card of those batteries. Two years on I have yet to find anything they fit, none of them ever came close to any of the watches I have.

all my watches took ag1 if thats any help
 Bargain Outdoor gear - bathtub tom
>> all my watches took ag1 if thats any help

Do 'flying bomb' make that size? ;>)
i wish they did
alas they dont :-(
:-)
Guy I know has a company which makes and markets licensed watches. You know the sort of things. High profile often clothing or indeed auto brands which sell watches with their branding on them. He has the manufacturing license for many of them. The cases and straps vary in quality depending on what his customer wants but the movements are all cheap but perfectly reliable far eastern things which he pays about $2.50 a piece for. The raw cost of the case and strap ranges from a few bucks to a maximum of $20 for an all singing all dancing job. The retail prices bear no relation to this of course and can regularly be £100 + with an average of around £150 and with some brands charging three times that for what is in fact an item not quite as good as an equivalent Timex or Casio.

He gives me and his other friends his old samples. I've got loads of the things.

He tells me that it's all in the movement. Apparently whether it is electronic or manual it isn't worth a row of beans if it wasn't put together in Switzerland.

Still favour my 30 year old Tag though. Wearing it now.
>> He gives me and his other friends his old samples. I've got loads of the things.
>>
Got no time for me then?
Like I say Martin, you are actually better off with a Casio or a Timex. ( Did you ever notice that Bill Clinton always wore / wears a Timex their HQ is in Little Rock Arkansas ) These faux branded things are on the private admission of my mate all fur coat and no knickers.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 22:17
Advise appreciated. Now the fur coat thing...........that takes me back.
adviCe
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Marc
"Now the fur coat thing"

It's a Scottish thing I believe.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Ted

Oh dear, gonna have to let the side down again.
I have two watches......both have fingers, tell the time and have a seconds hand.

I buy them at £5 for two at the Rivington Bike meet......use one until the strap gives up...the watches never do......then use the other.
Usually get a couple of years out of the two.

Not interested in flash stuff or bling......never have been.

Ted
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Alastairw
A watch is a watch - the time is the same on all of them.

I have two. An automatic Seiko for day to day and then for 'best' I wear my old dads Avia Olympic. Not very flashy, and does't keep very good time, but its special to me.

Why dont kids wear watches anymore though? They say is cos they can tell time on their phones, but the boy is always late because he didnt see the time.
consider my problem Alastairw im left handed so used to wear my watch on my right wrist till it was pointed out i was showing i was a homosexual for doing it
so i ended up not wearing a watch at work as it was quite dangerous on my working hand (leave it)
 Bargain Outdoor gear - BiggerBadderDave
"it was pointed out i was showing i was a homosexual for doing it"

I'm sure that's earrings...
what colour hankey do you having hanging from the back pocket of your overalls?

Do you wear boots?

Got Village people on the Ipod?
>A watch is a watch - the time is the same on all of them.

Oh no they aren't.

'A watch is a watch' like 'A car is a car'.

Kevin...
 Bargain Outdoor gear - CGNorwich
'A watch is a watch' like 'A car is a car'.

So what exactly can a Rolex do that a Casio can't apart from proving that you have a lot of money?
>> So what exactly can a Rolex do that a Casio can't apart from proving that
>> you have a lot of money?
>>
Get you mugged.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Perky Penguin
A watch IS a watch - A Rolex is an item of jewellery that tells the time.
There is something rather comforting about have]ing a nice timepiece on your wrist. Usually I wear my old mans Bulova Chronograph, the case milled from a solid piece of stainless steel, with a roliflex expanding bracelet.

Alas I overwound it, so I am going ot have to bite the bulet to get it fixed. Its 40 years old so deserves me keeping it going as I broke it.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - R.P.
I like a nice watch as well Zero....:-(
 Bargain Outdoor gear - R.P.
My latest "investment" was a Stowa Flieger, not hideously expensive, but a very nice hand made German automatic watch.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Statistical Outlier
Can't speak for a Rolex, but the £23 Seiko I bought to use while my Breitling was being serviced was far lighter and more accurate than the Swiss mechanism. My phone is even better, it can set its clock via the interweb and so is spot on at all times.

As others have said, that really misses the point. I bought the Breitling using a small amount of money I inherited from my Gran, who left the request that I 'buy something I would remember her by'. The mechanical movement is a thing of beauty, it really is a piece of jewellery or sculpture rather than a means of telling the time.

I realise that that makes no objective sense, and it's a real indulgence, but nearly six years later it still puts a smile on my face when I put it on every morning.
>So what exactly can a Rolex do that a Casio can't ..

Wind up the hair shirt brigade?

Kevin...
 Bargain Outdoor gear - BiggerBadderDave
"I wear my old dads Avia Olympic. Not very flashy, and does't keep very good time, but its special to me."

Didn't I see you in Pulp Fiction?

I don't wear a watch, I never got on with them. The metal ones just rip the hairs from my arms, the leather ones eventually start to stink.
There ain't a huge advantage knowing the time when you're in company in a comfortable Pub enjoying moaning about the new Government etc. Could be moaning about something else of course, but I'm sure one gets my drift.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Bagpuss
I've had all sorts of watches, cheap ones that tell the time, designer ones that look nice, at least for a while. My favourites are a Junghans solar watch given to me by wife, I love the simple design and well engineered feel, and an old but previously never used Soviet Russian watch given to me by my Father-in-Law. It's mechanical, incredibly heavy, and surprisingly well put together for something from the Soviet Union.
Those Russian watches are guaranteed for life. When the mainspring breaks it slashes your wrist. :-)

John
the leather ones eventually start to stink.
>
>>>>> so true
but its man stink
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Ted

I used to have a brass fob watch when I was a policeman...used to be on my whistle chain.
Rather nice to elaborately extract from your pocket to help a punter.

Went nicely with the cape, with it's 'lion head ' clasps and wooden truncheon.

Still got it, but it doesn't work now......still got the truncheon as well. With it's Manchester Corporation crest still intact !

Ted
 Bargain Outdoor gear - Iffy
...Still got it, but it doesn't work now....got the truncheon as well....

Bet the truncheon still works. :)

And if it could talk, I'm sure it could tell a few tales.

Bargain Outdoor gear - Pat
I know a lorry drivers joke about a policemans truncheon:)

Two of us sung it walking through Wells once looking for where we'd parked our lorries for the night! We did have a late start in the morning....honest!
Pat
 Bargain Outdoor gear - movilogo
3 years back I bought a Casio watch (forgotten model name) which has analog as well as digital display + thermometer + barometer + altimeter + depth meter (never used). It cost me £70 over a web shop compared to £200 retail price.

Size is bit big but absolutely love it.

Tissot's T-touch with similar functionality costs £400+. But that one has the compass though.

Can you tell me the temperature please mister?

John
My Iphone does all that, and more. I should wear that on my wrist.
 Bargain Outdoor gear - movilogo
But iPhone needs to be connected to net for doing those things ;-)

Not an issue while you are in UK but won't help if there's no network coverage or outside UK (unless paying roaming charge)

Bargain Outdoor gear - helicopter
I am a sucker for watches - I love them but never pay full price.I search them out second hand and have found some bargains

Today I am wearing a Seiko perpetual calendar watch which I bought in Gibraltar after a good haggle involving a coin toss at the end over the last £15 difference between what the shopkeeper wanted £ 350 and what I was prepared to pay - £ 100 . I won. I like it because of the clear face , analogue numbers and magnified date. It never needs adjusting , even for leap years.

I also have a Seiko Chronometer which I bought on Ebay ( it was unused ) for £100 which was in the local jewellers at £450 . Its OK but very heavy.

Another favourite is my genuine Tag Heuer divers watch which I bought at an antiques market for £190 . It has been checked out and verified as genuine by my local watchmaker .

I bought a very nice Mappin and Webb watch which was not working for £3.50 in a junk shop , all it needed was a battery.

I also have a vintage Longines a gold Avia and a gold pocket watch which I like to wear on formal occasions .

Humph, thanks for the response. Didn't realise how many G-Shock models there were. I think a Timex Ironman will suit me so I've shelled out £30 to Amazon this afternoon.
 Bargain Watch - - teabelly
If they're on fleabay I'd be wondering whether they were even genuine! Amazon have them starting at £44.

I don't bother wearing a watch. If I want to know the time I check my phone or top right of computer screen, or microwave or dvd player or a million other things that offer the current time!
 Bargain Watch - - Zero
Here is a very good watch story

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303078/Birds-Of-A-Feather-writer-Laurence-Marks-Nazi-watch-inspired-new-play.html
 Bargain Watch - - Ted

If I was up for spending more than £2.50 on a watch I might buy a Swiss Railway watch, as advertised sometimes in the Railway magazine.
Just tells the time, I think, but a nice clear face with traditional fingers.

Well under a ton, though !

Erin Dors always wants to get me a new watch for Birthday or Chrissie Present but I prefer vouchers from the local Model Railway shop........all the familoy can contribute then.
But the, she worked in jeweller's shops so is probably riddled with shame when I expose my current timepiece !

Ted
 Bargain Watch - - Roger.
I still have a solid gold Omega, passed on from my father, presented to my paternal grandfather in 1936, (I was one year old then!) when he retired from Woolwich Arsenal, where he was a senior draughtsman. (Swear filter expunged the correct spelling and capitalisation of the first letter of a proper noun)
It's a handsome thing; oblong in shape and quite small. It comes out for use on high days and holidays.
For everyday, both SWMBO & I have Longines, again oblong, rather than round. Funnily enough we went to the jewellers to buy a watch for each of us, browsing separately, only to find we had chosen identical models in lady's and gentlemen's sizes!
Is that the same as wearing identical knitted woolies as in the Richard Briers TV series
"Ever Decreasing Circles".
Sad!

Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 15:30
 Bargain Watch - - Ted

How sweet !....Howard and Hilda Landsker !

Ted
 Bargain Watch - - WillDeBeest
PU's Stowa and Zero's link take me back a couple of years to when Mrs Beest invited me to choose a watch for an approaching Significant Birthday. Stowa makes a beautiful thing called the Marine Original, based on nautical designs that purport to go back to 1930. Trouble was, the more I looked into its origins, the more I came up against this same picture of a pocket watch from 1940, its dial identical but for a swastika just below the centre. So, I concluded, whatever its true origin, I'd be getting a near-replica of a watch that was issued to Nazi officers. PU's Flieger, I should add, is an entirely different piece of kit.

In the end, I went for an Eberhard, whose design originates in the comparatively safe 1950s. I've yet to see one on anybody else and I've been so pleased with it that I'd forgotten all about Stowa till today.

Anyway, what this made me wonder is how far the 'Nazi taint' can spread. Mr Marks, understandably, felt that an item personally owned by a Nazi was not for use or profit, but that wouldn't stop me owning a different Longines watch. But BMW made engines for the Luftwaffe, and Nazi leaders travelled in Mercedes cars; neither firm seems haunted by that today and I would buy from either if it suited me. Where I'm uncomfortable is with modern companies reproducing designs that link back to a sordid past. And this all gets a bit complicated when you're trying to type it into an uncooperative iPhone.
}:---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 16:47
 Bargain Watch - - Iffy
I did wonder about Espada and his Oris automatic (further up this thread).

Espada has told us he is a gentleman of the Jewish faith, and someone else tells us Oris watches were used by the Luftwaffe.

I suppose the Luftwaffe didn't run concentration camps.

If anything, they probably killed more Brits than Jews with their bombing of this country.

Does buying anything German bother me?

Not in the slightest.

No doubt a lot of the components of the CC3 are from the Fatherland.

Bargain Watch - - R.P.
Ford 's history in Germany during the Nazi period has some elements it would prefer to gloss over as well, as Opel's, Opel was part of the GM group even then.
 Bargain Watch - - Iffy
...Ford 's history in Germany during the Nazi period has some elements it would prefer to gloss over as well...

Oo 'eck, and hasn't Espada just bought an S-Max?

The guy's obviously not one to hold a grudge.

Bargain Watch - - WillDeBeest
Let's not treat this frivolously, please, Iffy. Espada's S-Max was not built by slave labour, his Oris is a modern watch bearing an old name, and no-one involved in the design of PU's BMW 1 was involved in building engines for the Luftwaffe. But the Luftwaffe itself was one of the principal instruments of Nazi oppression in Europe; even if it did use some well-engineered machinery to do it, we should remember what that machinery was used for and avoid flattering its users by imitation.
 Bargain Watch - - Iffy
...Let's not treat this frivolously, please, Iffy...

Didn't think I was.

I dunno, you can't win round here, one minute it's 'lighten up', and the next I'm being chided for being frivolous.

Maybe what we need around here is a bit of frivolity.

Think I'll stick to what I've always done, which is largely what I like, give or take the odd bit of moderation.

Bargain Watch - - Zero
And IBM, some of its kit was used to calculate and keep track of the final solution.

It wasnt called IBM in Germany, but was a directly controlled operation.

Bargain Watch - - Netsur
Its nice of you all to worry about my ethical dilemmas of buying German products!

I had no idea that Oris had any connections with the Nazis. Most European firms would have done during the period 1933 to 1945 in some capacity even if they were not active sympathisers and it would very difficult to avoid buying products from firms with some Nazi connection.

Given that Israel has benefited from hugely from German reparations (Mercedes taxis, German built trains) I have no qualms about buying BMW or Mercedes cars (as I have done) or flying Luftwaffe (sorry - Lufthansa!) to Israel several times a year.

However none of my family were affected by the Holocaust and others may take a different view as do those people who suffered at the hands of the Japanese at WW2.

However I do worry about the mainly left wing overtly Arab/Palestinian supporters who attempt to get people to boycott Israeli products. Do they not know that all the encryption software and hardware on their Sky boxes is developed and made near Jerusalem, that most truly sophisticated encryption software and devices (i.e internet banking etc) is developed in Israel, and that large chunks of chip and mobile phone design is carried out in Israel. If they were to be successful in their boycott they would not be able to communicate to the world other than by semaphore.........Now that is a dilemma!

Bargain Watch - - Zero
>> However I do worry about the mainly left wing overtly Arab/Palestinian supporters who attempt to
>> get people to boycott Israeli products. Do they not know that all the encryption software
>> and hardware on their Sky boxes is developed and made near Jerusalem, that most truly
>> sophisticated encryption software and devices (i.e internet banking etc) is developed in Israel, and that
>> large chunks of chip and mobile phone design is carried out in Israel. If they
>> were to be successful in their boycott they would not be able to communicate to
>> the world other than by semaphore.........Now that is a dilemma!

NOt really, its not that unique any more, and most people have worries about it because Mossad has most of the keys.
 Bargain Watch - - Iffy
...I do worry about the mainly left wing overtly Arab/Palestinian supporters...

I don't know why anyone bothers trying to bring peace to the Middle East.

You fellas are never going to stop scrapping, are you?

Same as them daft idiots in Ireland.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 19:52
 Bargain Watch - - Marc
Guys - I think I may have remembered incorrectly after all anyway.

ISTR the Luftwaffe featuring in an ORIS catalogue I had about 10 years ago but no longer have the catalogue to check. For years ORIS marketed itself on aviation heritage - the BC or Big Crown was so that pilots wearing thick gloves could adjust it.

I googled after posting and could find few references of ORIS and the Luftwaffe. They seemed to prefer IWC. The Luftwaffe connection certainly hasn't done IWC any harm - look at their prices!

Anyway ORIS - still a damn fine watch - especially the Full Steel!
 Bargain Watch - - hawkeye
>> Here is a very good watch story
>>

It's interesting but I don't see where the "dripping in Nazi blood comes from". As one of the comments says, "it's just a watch".

Watches, like speedometers, should be round, anyway.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Wed 15 Sep 10 at 19:53
 Bargain Watch - - rtj70
And the current crop of Intel CPUs have their designs based on the work the Intel Israel teams did with the original Pentium M. And the same team has worked on other designs too.
 Bargain Watch - - Netsur
Zero is worried that Mossad have the keys to all the codes. Rather them than Hamas eh?
 Bargain Watch - - L'escargot
I'd call £1.25 retail a bargain price for a watch, not £125!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 16 Sep 10 at 07:55
Latest Forum Posts