Non-motoring > PULHEEMS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 3

PULHEEMS - Ambo
Can any Army veteran out there tell me what this acronym means please? The memory was brought back by last night's episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" (repeated on BBCHD tonight) when Thomas Darling's medical record was shown and had this term on them. I must have passed them during my own service but can't recall whether they were general medical tests or tests of endurance - running, jumping, route marching and such.

Incidentally, I became only too familiar with the village of Cha'ah, featured in the film, duirng the 8 or so years I spent working on the estate which surrounded it. The club shown belonged originally to the estate. I started work here two or three years after the alleged suicide, which did not seem at all convincing to me.
 PULHEEMS - VxFan
One quick google:-

www.arrse.co.uk/naafi-bar/2891-pushing-your-pulheems.html

Physical Capacity (P),Upper Limbs (U), Locomotion (L), Hearing (H), Eyesight (EE), MentalCapacity (M), and Stability(s)

Also, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PULHHEEMS

PULHHEEMS is an abbreviation for the factors it is intended to test. These include:
Physique
Upper limbs
Lower limbs (or 'Locomotion', as this includes the back)
Hearing (left)
Hearing (right)
Eyesight left (corrected / uncorrected)
Eyesight right (corrected / uncorrected)
Mental function
Stability (emotional)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 10:25
 PULHEEMS - Old Navy
I remember them from my early years in the forces, as said above an annual medical check, but not done in the Navy for many years, in fact I have not heard the abbreviation used since the 1960's. The ultimate proof of life test was if you collected your tot of rum, before it was abolished.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 10:44
 PULHEEMS - Ambo
Excellent, thank you
Latest Forum Posts