Non-motoring > Child-proof tops on pill bottles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 35

Child-proof tops on pill bottles - L'escargot
I'm having problems removing child-proof tops which have to be pressed down before being turned. What's the best device to aid their removal?
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Bromptonaut
Assuming you've no need for the child protection get a friend to open them and then decant into something more useable?
>> Assuming you've no need for the child protection get a friend to open them and
>> then decant into something more useable?
>>

I thought about that, but couldn't work out how to transfer the label. At the moment I have two bottles with chilp-proof caps.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Zero
Just copy the name of the pills onto a sticky label for the new containers, Keep the old ones for batch number and dispensing data throwing them away when you have used them

Only keep a single batch in your new container.
Ignore them completely. Find some other types of containers, and place all your pills in them.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - WillDeBeest
Best device I've found yet is a child of about five. Fortunately both mine are sufficiently sensible-shoes types to understand that what's inside is not for them.

Failing that, how about something analogous to the under-counter bottle-cap removers found in pubs? An inverted V with rubber edges would grip the cap and give you something to push against as you turn the bottle.

A quick google and a couple of links from AgeUK got me to www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk which seems to have lots of gadgets for situations like this.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - FotheringtonTomas
Once you've got the lid off use a knife to remove any "child proofing" lugs or devices. You could also stick a lid up with Araldite or something and re-use your "fixed" lid on any further bottles.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Pat
I have the same problem with bottles of bleach/weedkiller and insecticide.
Not a good idea to decant those into other containers either.

Pat
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - henry k
Simples. How to TACKle it :-)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc2xoTuTQT8

or another method

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJ4YfnBwlQ
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - WillDeBeest
Another thought:could you not simply ask the pharmacist to dispense the tablets in an ordinary screw-cap container?
>> Another thought:could you not simply ask the pharmacist to dispense the tablets in an ordinary
>> screw-cap container?

Not sure they are allowed to?
Thanks henry k. I'll try out the two methods.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - The Nut
If they are perscription medicines ask the pharmacist to not put them in child proof bottles, they used to do this when I collected perscriptions for my gran.

Also some products, Listerine mouthwash for example, can have the locking tabs cut off with scissors once opened for the first time.
>> If they are perscription medicines ask the pharmacist to not put them in child proof
>> bottles, they used to do this when I collected perscriptions for my gran.
>>
>> Also some products, Listerine mouthwash for example, can have the locking tabs cut off with
>> scissors ...........

I'll ask the pharmacist about not putting them in child-proof bottles in future. For my current bottles I'll try the drawing pin method. I've already checked the thickness of the caps with a micrometer and decided the pin won't pierce the inner seal. For Listerine I remove the locking tabs with Draper 105 mm end-cutters ~ it's easier than with scissors, and you get a more complete removal.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - VxFan
>> Once you've got the lid off use a knife to remove any "child proofing" lugs
>> or devices.

Or do away with the lid altogher and use something like clingfilm over the opening instead.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Pat
I'm not being ungrateful but all of the suggested remedies contain the words 'get someone else to' at some point in the initial operation.

Now I suspect L'es is like me, and much prefers to not ask anyone else to do anything:)

Pat
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - The Nut
Just had a play in the kitchen.

The type of child proof caps where the top just clicks as you turn it unless you press it down is made up of two parts. You can use a screwdriver to lever off the outer cap leaving the inner cap to be used as a normal lid.

A bit of force is involved but you only need to do it once for each bottle.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - FotheringtonTomas
>> do away with the lid altogher and use something like clingfilm over the opening
>> instead.

I wondered about using a sherry bottle cork. I used to use these to block up a couple of inspection holes on an old motorbike which had lost the proper rubber bungs. They did very well.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - BiggerBadderDave
"What's the best device to aid their removal?"

Two sticks of dynamite
"your only supposed to blow the b***** tops off"
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - CGNorwich
A drawing pin seems to be the answer:

www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Ted

I just wish my tablets came in secure top ' bottles '
All mine come in press out foil and they're an absolute beggar to get out, pinging all over the room when they do so. The manufacturers of these devices of the devil don't seem to appreciate that some of use might have a bit of weakness in our fingers....caused by the very illness their tablets are there to help !

Enteric aspirin are my bete noir. I have to ping about 200 different pills out every month, together with two more at night and one when I get up.
I have a device for pressing them out but i'ts no use, bending with some of the more difficult pills.

I do have a cunning plan, though. because my daughter has been using the Bank of Dad recently, I wait 'til she comes round and cajole her into doing the evil task , playing on her conscience!

Ted
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Iffy
A daily pill tray is a good idea, if you are on regular doses.

You can 'put up' a week or two's supply at a time.

Also means you will only have to break into the bottles once a week or fortnight.

Edit: Fully agree with Ted on the blister packs, they are a blistering nuisance.
Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 15:24
and dangerous. I popped some paracetomols out and one pinged out onto the kitchen floor.
Only a swift kick up the rse for the dog prevented it snaffling it
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Ted

I use a pill box system.. I, or my girl, ping out 28 days worth to get it over with.
I couldn't do with sitting on the edge of the bed, wrestling with 7 strips every night plus the other 2 nightly ones.
Those two are variable so I don;t pop them until I need them....just depends how much pain I'm in at the time.
I pop the monthly supply into a bowl if I have to do them, but some still escape at Mach 2 into the room !

I'm also very aware of the ones that escape..one is a red one...like a Smartie...and we have a red carpet in the pinging room........and 5 yr olds visiting !

Ted
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Soft Top
You can certainly ask a pharmacist to dispense your tablets in a non-child resistant container and they may in some circumstances be allowed to do this for you. There is obviously an issue of responsibility on the part of the patient and some pharmacists will tell you to be careful or even ask you to sign a disclaimer to say you have been warned.

However, they may draw the line at popping out foil packs for you as the stability of the medicine over time has been tested by the manufacturer in the original packaging and may be compromised if they are put in a pill tray.

That said - as a popper of over 200 pills a month - my sympathies are firmly with Ted and the others who struggle!
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - MD
I take 3 a day plus eye drops etc., but just what is a 'Pill tray'? Sorry for being unedumacated
wasted on you, with those eye drops you cant see it.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Stuartli
The chemist alongside my local doctors' surgery will dispense tablets in a pill box to cover the number of days required/requested.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - smokie
Martin, probably one of these - tinyurl.com/34vrxpk
Thank you Senor.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Bellboy
>> Martin, probably one of these - tinyurl.com/34vrxpk
>>
>>>>> can you do it cheaper?
MD...... will love that
Cash?
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Bellboy
>> Cash?
>>
>>>>>> i was thinking more whatever you quote someone wants it cheper
but i suppose cash does say it all as they pull their cheque book out............. :-)
thats sounds wrong too
they offer a cash price thinking thats what you want to hear then pull their cheque books out to pay
basically wazzacks but we dont care because we made our profit even so
Last edited by: Bellboy on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 23:16
Strange folk..........Customers.
 Child-proof tops on pill bottles - Iffy
...Martin, probably one of these - tinyurl.com/34vrxpk...

Yes, very handy.

There are four compartments each day's tray, but if you are taking am and pm, you can double up and put two days' worth in each tray, which is two weeks altogether.

It's easy enough to use Monday1, Tuesday1 etc until Sunday1, and then Monday2, Tuesday2 etc until Sunday2.

Much simpler than messing around with individual tablet packs each day.
Latest Forum Posts