Non-motoring > Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 38

Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Bobby
wowcam.com
www.tecobuy.co.uk/en_UK/apple-iphone-11-128gb-a2221-nano-sim-esim-white-4.html

they seem to have some very keen prices on Apple iphones - substantially cheaper than elsewhere.

Anyone used them, online reviews seem good but if its too good to be true............??

brand new unlocked Iphone 11 128GB - £613 vs £779 at Apple
Tecobuy also cheap around the £633 mark

havent heard of either of these up until I started searching for phones - any feedback appreciated
Have now read reviews of Tecobuy - won't be going near them!
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - CGNorwich
Anywhere offering a current model iPhone at substantially lower prices than Apple or major retailers like John Lewis is almost certainly dodgy.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - zippy
Their address is:

Holo Destined Services Room 004, Block C&D, 11/F, Tong Yuen Industrial Building, 505 Castle Peak Road, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

The website isn't secure.

Payment is through Worldpay so S75 cover may not apply.

Expect significant import duties and VAT to be added by customs as well as a fee from the courier for collecting the duties and VAT.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - martin aston
I don't remember the site name but when I was recently trying to get an iPad there was a cheap site that stood out. Looked legit and, at first sight, UK based.

Delving into the small print however these iPads were "HK spec" and the supplier was probably not UK based. Not worth the risk.

I then looked at refurb sites and bought one at a good price from Argos but although in perfect cosmetic order it had a latent defect that showed up after 10 mins use. It was immediately refunded. They had no more in stock.

In the end I reckoned all new legit UK stock was identically priced and bought new from John Lewis.
Very little margin for retailers on Apple stuff an hence no room for discounting. I can get staff discount on all electronic stuff apart from Apple at John Lewis because of the low margins.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Rudedog
We've just had 230 iPhones and 50 iPads kindly donated to our Trust for use by the patients to 'phone home'.

Company giving them wanted to remain anonymous.

Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - smokie
Trotter's Independent Trading maybe? :-)

Very nice gesture. there is some really good stuff coming out of this and I hope it sticks.

Most places seem to ha be sold out of low end iPad models
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - No FM2R
>> We've just had 230 iPhones and 50 iPads kindly donated to our Trust for use
>> by the patients to 'phone home'.
>>
>> Company giving them wanted to remain anonymous.
>>

That's really generous. Wishing to remain anonymous makes it seem even more altruistic. Well done to them, whoever they are.

However, that's a lot of phones to set up and a lot of SIMs to get from somewhere. Unless you have a large and proficient IT team that's quite the burden.
I know quite a few people of my generation who have resisted modern technology and would struggle to use an iPad let alone set one up.
I know quite a few people of your generation (although not quite sure exactly what that is) who managed to get over themselves and manage really well with IT. See oldies using video conferencing quite happily since lockdown.

It has got much easier than it was, certainly for the mass audience. Technology companies can no longer afford to deliver complicated products.
Oh I agree.I would say that my generation as a whole have adapted to tech in a big way. I do know a number though who stubbornly resist using anything smacking of new fangled technology

My sister in law for example won't even use an ATM and insists on going to the bank for cash. Modern tech is definitely so much easier than it was 5 years back but if you have never used an iphone or ipad or its equivalent its still quite a big the leap to adopt it in your later years .

I find that when teaching someone the basics is the big problem is their fear of doing something wrong somehow and are loathe to play around and experiment. A lot of older people are also scared by stories they read in the papers of scammers and hackers.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Zero
>> Oh I agree.I would say that my generation as a whole have adapted to tech
>> in a big way. I do know a number though who stubbornly resist using anything
>> smacking of new fangled technology

Get out of it, your generation is very similar to mine and we have been growing up with, for at least 30 years, with the fastest technological leaps ever known. Its our technology.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Apr 20 at 18:07
Most of us have. We worked in industries that used technology and we became familiar with it. There is still an element who are not at all at home with it and they're not necessarily that old. There is still a sizeable minority of people without a mobile phone

>>There is still a sizeable minority of people
>> without a mobile phone

4% - There are more households without a landline.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Duncan
www.statista.com/statistics/289167/mobile-phone-penetration-in-the-uk/

95%, but that is households, not individuals.
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 17 Apr 20 at 19:46
>>95%, but that is households, not individuals

It's been a while but as I recall SIM penetration was about 125% considering the total population. Leave out those too young and it rises to something like 140%.

Bearing in mind that it's 10 years since I was in that industry I should think it unlikely it's gone down.
I haven't read it, but I'll get around to it.

www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/155278/communications-market-report-
2019.pdf
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 17 Apr 20 at 20:19
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Bromptonaut
>> There is still an element who are not at all at home with
>> it and they're not necessarily that old. There is still a sizeable minority of people
>> without a mobile phone

After initial attempts to make Universal Credit 'on line only' it was eventually conceded that 15-18% of the population lacked the means, confidence or digital literacy to make and/or manage a claim.

Some can make a claim with support and deal with the subsequent interaction with DWP on line. Others are never, in a month of Sundays, going to get past first base on line. Only last August were the rules amended to make clear that there is a right to a phone claim.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Rudedog
Spot on, not sure when they will be available but the daily CV-19 update did mention that the IT team would need to work on them first (maybe installing security??), we have quite a good free wi-fi so maybe use this to make internet calls rather than over a network?

Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - T junction
Best place i've found for a bit of discount on Apple stuff is Apple themselves www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished still not cheap but as good as new, but you sometimes have to be flexible on spec. or keep trying, as stock changes regularly.
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - henry k
Similar re discount on Del stuff
www.dell.com/en-uk/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet

>> but as good as new, but you sometimes have to be flexible on spec. or keep trying, as stock changes regularly.
Similar with Dell I waited until the spec I wanted showed with extra RAM and larger SSD.
Cheers for the feedback on the suppliers - yeah I'll give them a miss. A bit of googling also reveals a very poor set of reviews!

I usually take phone on 2 year contract and then keep for at least a further year or two SIM only. I was looking at buying new phone outright and keeping my SIM only contract but the cheapest way to have the phone over 24 months seems to be to take it on a contract!

>> I usually take phone on 2 year contract and then keep for at least a
>> further year or two SIM only. I was looking at buying new phone outright and
>> keeping my SIM only contract but the cheapest way to have the phone over 24
>> months seems to be to take it on a contract!

Your options and price savings increases dramatically if you move from iPhone to Android.
>> if you move from iPhone to Android.

I have had both Android and Iphones and Microsoft (Nokia). At the time the Microsoft phone was amazing, robust, fast, excellent SatNav - it just didn't have the apps that the others did.

The Android phones were Samsung - high end at the time and Sony. Neither received software updates from the manufacturers.

The Apple phones just work. Get regular software updates and are robust.

Work also issues them as they have significantly less lifetime usage costs than other equivalent phones and they are purchased / leased without airtime contracts.
They also retain a better percentage resale value.
>> They also retain a better percentage resale value.

Given their high price, not as much as you think.
iPhones and Androids are fundamentally different to use.

The iPhone has virtually no flexibility but what it does it does very well indeed. If the iPhone suits you, especially in a commercial environment where trouble free predictability is essential, then it is almost certainly the best choice for you. But they're damned expensive and % resale value does not outweigh the purchase price. For many reasons, but chiefly that they are mostly not sold until worthless.

Of actual importance is operating cost/practicality, and iPhones can be locked down and operated/managed en masse far more efficiently than can Androids.

The Android has the potential to be much more flexible but that flexibility brings pitfalls. Much more customisation is possible which is great for a knowledgable private user but is useless for a less knowledgeable user and a complete nightmare in the commercial environment.

There is little range of price or functionality in the iPhone market, there is huge range of price and functionality, and quality, in the Android market.

The UI approach is so different that getting used to one makes changing to the other uncomfortable.

I prefer Android; a better range of devices and the ability to set it up to work exactly how I wish. Also cost. I would no more buy the top range Samsung than I would the iPhone; both a ridiculous cost for a telephone in my mind.

It's simply not a case of better or worse, they are quite different and suited to different environments.
From my point of views there is one area where Apple are way out in front compared to the opposition and that is compatibility with hearing aids. That is is the reason I switched to Apple. the phone, an iPhone 11 was expensive but it does the job brilliantly in that regard.

The camera is astonishingly good too, a real delight to use.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 18 Apr 20 at 16:27
These last few comments perfectly sum things up from my perspective.

I used to be android and got fed up with the haphazard software updates - some manufacturers would do android updates before others, some carriers would do them before others. Apps owrked on certain versions etc.

I was then talked into getting an Iphone and it does what it says on the tin. I don't have the knowledge, skills to "root" andorids or any of the flexibility that android has. My one criticism of the iphone 6 and 7 which I have had was that the camera wasn't as good as friends Samsung and Huawei. But missus and daughter have got the iphone 11 and the camera is leaps and bounds better than my 7.

Cost does stick in my throat though!
>> Cost does stick in my throat though!
>>

Agree totally with that sentiment.

I was lucky to get Mrs Z’s iPhone XR for £330 sim free and new last Black Friday and my Xs max on contract the previous year for less than the retail cost of the phone!
 Wowcam / Tecobuy - anyone boought from them? - Falkirk Bairn
4.7" I-phone SE available shortly - same processor as the 11s but not the feature cameras.

Looks a good buy at £419
yeah, missus and daughter got a Black Friday deal on thie Iphone 11 which, 5 months later, is still much better than anything on offer now
What is the difference in price between an iPhone 11 say and its equivalent from Samsung?
>> What is the difference in price between an iPhone 11 say and its equivalent from
>> Samsung?

In Chile, for example, not very much if anything at all.

However, if you compared an iPhone to something not Samsung but of a similar standard, then something like the top Xiaomi is about half the price of either.

I know what I get if I buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi, and if that were something I needed or wanted then it would make sense. And I'd understand what I was paying a premium for.

However, it is not clear to me what, if any, advantage a Samsung has over a Xiaomi.

So for *me* the comparison is between the iPhone and a Xiaomi. Which is a very substantial difference by any measure, especially price.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 18 Apr 20 at 18:27
I got a Xiaomi Pocophone 128 Gb dual sim armoured version for £270 last Sept. I suppose it's now an "older" model but has still one of the fastest processors in a phone, you can plug headphones directly into it, and it has an SD card slot (which I have a 256Gb card in).

A mate has the latest Samsung. I'll admit his pictures are better than mine but there isn't a huge difference. He pretty much only uses it for pic, calls and social media whereas mine is used for all sorts of stuff and has never let me down.

I have a SIM for £8 a month for 20Gb (EE) which is just coming to an end so I have a Virgin sim on 12 months contract for £6 pm with 3Gb which is ample while in lockdown!! (Even when out and about a lot or abroad I only use 1 - 1.5 Gb in a month, partly because I carry a lot of stuff with my on the SD card, so I don't end up streaming whole programmes or music).
>>A mate has the latest Samsung. I'll admit his pictures are better than mine but there isn't a huge difference

#1's Xiaomi Note 10 Pro has a 108mp camera in it. Ridiculous really, but it shows how things change. Even the front camera is 32mp.

There's no slot for an SD card, but the phone has 256Gb on board.

About £400.

I know virtually nothing about iPhones, but the iPhone 11 Pro is more than twice the price with seemingly about half the specs. In particular the cameras seem very low res. Though I may very well be looking at the wrong iPhone; as I said, I know nothing about them these days.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 18 Apr 20 at 21:09
Out of interest, she has 15Gb, unlimited Social Media, unlimited calls and messages for about £22 pcm.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 18 Apr 20 at 21:11
Latest Forum Posts