Non-motoring > Travel Rules Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 32

Travel Rules - CGNorwich
B and Q are classified by the Governments as supplying an essential service and are operating a no contact click and collect system.

I've just ordered some stuff from them but it occurs to me that that I'm not allowed out to collect them under the rules. Will I be arrested?
 Travel Rules - Dave_
As long as it's the closest branch, I can't see a problem. I braved Wilkinsons for some fence paint at the weekend.
 Travel Rules - James Loveless
"I've just ordered some stuff from them but it occurs to me that that I'm not allowed out to collect them under the rules. Will I be arrested?"

Depends on what you ordered. If you're repairing or replacing something that has failed and is threatening your safety or your health, surely you're in the clear.

So - new soil-pipe for outside the bathroom - no problem, sir.

If it's a couple of gro-bags then I'm sure you will be arrested and charged, or at least offered "advice".
 Travel Rules - Zero

>> If it's a couple of gro-bags then I'm sure you will be arrested and charged,
>> or at least offered "advice".

Its for tomatoes, food shopping
 Travel Rules - legacylad
I’ve been a very naughty boy and been out for exercise twice today. Both walks from my backdoor. Different sides of the upper Ribble valley, mostly obscure paths, but also half a mile on a single track road. Met a pal who needed to get out of the house away from his missus....he was en route to buy a few buckets of wine at the local CooP. Another pal on his way home with his missus after a 55 mile bike ride....they normally cover 100 miles so a short ride for them.
Given the glorious weather I was surprised by how few people I met.
 Travel Rules - Haywain
Being well-organised pessimists, my wife and I cycled into town this afternoon to sign our updated wills at the solicitors. It was a strange set-up at the office, with the door shut and a table in the entrance porch with pen and hand sanitiser on it. The relevant documents were passed out through a half-open door by the solicitor; dunno why she was wearing latex gloves with all that hand sanitiser around.

There were very few vehicles or people around, so cycling was a real pleasure.
 Travel Rules - No FM2R
Chile is different;

The whole of Santiago has a military curfew; nobody outside 22:00 - 05:00

No businesses, offices, bars or shops other than delivery places and supermarkets permitted to open.

5 or 6 of the richest comunas (boroughs) have quarantine. I don't live in them, but my Doctor does. In order to go out one has to log onto the Military Police website, type in your ID credentials, and explain your reason for wanting to go out.

Trip to the supermarket - 4 hours permitted.
Trip to a medical appointment - 12 hours permitted.

etc. etc. None can be applied for in advance, all commence at the moment of requesting.

The resulting emailed pass must be printed and carried. It carries QR codes, ID numbers and serial numbers so that it can easily be checked.

Facemasks must be worn outside. (Though the Chilean definition of a facemask also includes tying a scarf around your face).

I got to the clinic. I was held outside. When called I was directed to a shielded area where my temperature was taken and issue a little green sticker.

Directed to a desk where the receptionist was enclosed in perspex except for a letter box through which I could pass my ID.

Then I was directed upstairs to my appointment. Doctor took appropriate precautions and I reckon *I* was probably >65% alcohol by the time I left.

On leaving the doctor's room it was down the fire escape stairs and out onto the street.

I used my recently acquired electric scooter for the 15km round trip, which was all rather pleasant since this is autumn and thus the temperature is mid/high 20s - much more pleasant.

The rather huge flaw though; there are absolutely no police on the street during the day. So, if you get caught without a pass, it's very bad news. But your chances of getting caught are pretty small.
 Travel Rules - No FM2R
Oh yes, and....

My doctor explained that this was his first day back at work. He'd been quarantined for two weeks after three patients that he'd been treating had gone down with COVID-19.

I do hope that they're right about the two weeks,
 Travel Rules - Zero
Talking of Hospitals, went for a CT scan (with contrast, so involved a canula in the arm). It was moved from my nearest main hospital, to the smaller one in the trust, it has no A&E, no ICU, so not treating covid patients.

Walked in, round the corner to radiography, checked in standing 2 yards away from the girl on the desk, she measured my forehead temp. Went and had my Scan ( no 2 of 6 planned this year) staff were wearing masks, and then left after the appropriate recovery time.

My last consultation two weeks ago, was by phone, they give you a day am or pm, it will happen.

Very sensible really

Travel Rules - smokie
So my daughter has a nasty abscess which was being treated with antibiotics and was supposed to have gone away by now as a result. She last contacted the GP a couple of weeks back and he extended the antibiotics for two more weeks (in the circumstances) and said if it didn't clear up then she should go to A&E. She's in quite a bit of pain & discomfort and it's shown no signs of clearing up.

Is there an alternative to going to A&E unannounced, which might save her (and I suppose one of us) having to sit with sick people for hours on end? Or can anyone suggest a different course of action?

Travel Rules - Zero
Do you have a walk in minor injuries unit anywhere in your trust?

I assume her first course was 7 days? and been extended by another 14 days? 21 days on the same antibiotics ( broad spectrum one I guess) is just plain crazy, she needs to be seen ASAP.
 Travel Rules - Haywain
^^^ As Z says. ^^^
 Travel Rules - bathtub tom
>> So my daughter has a nasty abscess

I'd suggest you call 111.
 Travel Rules - Haywain
"I'd suggest you call 111."

On Saturday, during a family Zoom get-together, our DiL revealed that cracked skin on her knuckle had become infected and was becoming painful. She had already contacted 111 and their advice was to see a pharmacist - who told her to put Savlon on it. When she held it up to the camera, I could see that there was a red inflamed line following a vein along the back of her hand to her wrist. None of us liked the look of it, but didn't want to sound too alarmist. DiL then visited another pharmacist who said that she should dial 111 and tell them that he (the pharmacist) recommended that she should see a doctor. She was put in touch with an emergency doctor, who prescribed antibiotics - which have now sorted the problem out.

If you dial 111, then it should be made clear that the current treatment is not working and that a doctor is needed. If it happens like our case, then 111 should be able to put you in touch with the appropriate practitioner.
 Travel Rules - Zero
>> >> So my daughter has a nasty abscess
>>
>> I'd suggest you call 111.

I would strongly suggest you don't, appalling at the best of times, it is during these time worse than useless, and dangerously misleading. Their current goal is to keep you at home.

An abscess that has been going in the face of three weeks antibiotic, (albeit probably the wrong one) needs medical attention it- will start to track - 111 wont cut it, there is nothing they can do.

Sorry but its A&E or a walk in. Just chose your time with care.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Apr 20 at 17:16
 Travel Rules - Fullchat
My GP neighbour says the A&Es around here are particularly quiet at the moment 20 min wait.
 Travel Rules - smokie
As it seems to be slightly better today she is going to leave it a day or two and see if the antibiotics are doing anything. We're all reluctant to put ourselves in the position of having to self quarantine for 14 days again, or more importantly to put ourselves anywhere where the risk of catching covid are greatly increased. (She's the one who may have had a light bout of it and due to whim we have already just completed 14 day quarantine).

She's thinking she will call the doc and get an "intro" of some sort to the hospital, on the hope that she might be fast tracked through any public waiting area and also have something to support her journey if stopped en route. But realises that it's a bank holiday weekend. She has also had confirmed by an nurse at the hosp she would go to that they are really quiet at the moment.

To cap it all, she was furloughed today... not been her year really...so far...

Thanks for the advice
 Travel Rules - No FM2R
>>To cap it all, she was furloughed today... not been her year really...so far..

Bless her. It it's any comfort at all, high quality people are going to be in serious demand after all this has calmed down.

What does she actually do? (If I'm not being too nosey)
 Travel Rules - Duncan
>>
>> My last consultation two weeks ago, was by phone, they give you a day am
>> or pm, it will happen.
>>
>> Very sensible really

I was due to have an ENT consultation a week or so back in Guildford. It was switched to a phone consultation - which I forgot about!

I had gone out for a walk in the woods, when the phone rang, a number not recognised, I thought it was possibly a scam, but no! It was the charming female consultant! We had a very pleasant chat while I was strolling around.

My cardiology appointment was switched to a phone consultation. Now he has gone sick....
 Travel Rules - legacylad
You need to relocate ASAP ! Electric scooters are useless on limestone pavements, it’s much cooler temperature wise, but we have proper beer and the local curry houses in Settle are doing takeaways. And the Spring lambs filling the fields lift one’s spirits.

Talking of proper beer, a pal of mine has organised a delivery to his home in Malham from Saltaire Brewery. 8 x 500ml bottles @ £13, 5 litre mini casks from £15. He will distribute to our doorstep, and we pay him by BACS transfer. I’ve just ordered 24 bottles ( Cascade, South Island & Amarillo) which should keep me hydrated for a short while.

It’s a bulk order for his drinking buddies in Malhamdale and our local watering hole in Settle, so nice to help keep the brewing operation in business, plus the bonus of a wide selection of beers and doorstep delivery. Better than milk n eggs.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 7 Apr 20 at 20:21
 Travel Rules - legacylad
I’m incredibly fortunate to live in a part of the world with glorious scenery on my doorstep. Quite literally. On my 4 mile walk this AM I passed one lady walking her dog up t’top of Giggleswick Scar. We social distanced by 10 metres ! Saw nobody else.
This evening apart from meeting and social distancing from 3 friends ( it’s a small place where I live) I saw one other cyclist and 2 people whom I vaguely knew, by Langcliffe mill race walking home after buying wine in the big city ( Settle).
 Travel Rules - Robin O'Reliant
We needed milk at the shop this morning so I popped 100 yards down the road to the local convenience store. The till area was screened off in Perspex and the woman behind the counter explained that it was put up stop any droplets from the people who screamed abuse at them because they were stopped from taking more than their fair share of essentials.

You have to shake your head in despair.
 Travel Rules - R.P.
Today was meticulously planned operation. E_mail arrived last night with five food drops for the food-bank. Print off e-mail (in case we're stopped by the fuzz) - travel to the FB to assemble modular pre-packed packs (depending on the numbers in the recipients household) - phone them just prior to arriving on the "burn phone" and arrange the drop. Stop off to walk the dogs in a riverside park - not busy and everyone keeping good distances...all in all not a bad morning out with almost zero public contact.

More tomorrow afternoon. Older members of the FB committee coming to terms with WhatsApp and other "modern" media is the worst part..
 Travel Rules - CGNorwich
One of our best holidays when the children were small was just down the road from you at Stainforth. We stayed in an old stone-roofed cottage just by the stepping stones over the stream. I expect you know it.
 Travel Rules - legacylad
I do indeed. It’s literally a mile or two up StackHouse Lane from chez LL.. you wouldn’t recognise Knight Stainforth caravan, campsite and static now. People I know who own it developed it these past few years. New facilities, nice restaurant where I used to take my mum once a week. £10 for a cracking home made two course meal inc pot of tea. Best value, and tasty, food in Settle.

I still go to watch the salmon leaping at Stainforth foss back end of the year
My best pal recently moved from Bridge End cottage, opposite the Craven Heifer pub and over the beck in Stainforth.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 7 Apr 20 at 21:25
 Travel Rules - zippy
>>Stackhouse Lane...

Sounds like a lovely part of the world LL.

Travel Rules - sooty123
We used to holiday a lot up that way as well. My parents had a caravan, we stayed at a farmers camp site at Hellifield. I unfortunately couldn't find the exact place when having a look at Google maps, but the black horse pub seemed very fimilar so I don't think it was too far from there.
 Travel Rules - legacylad
Black Horse in Hellifield is a big old rambling place...it went through a period of closing down then opening. Even the Hellifield beer festival isn’t held there, strangecas it’s the only pub in the village apart from the Social Club
The Black Horse in Giggleswick was eventually sold last year. Most of us locals had avoided it for many years and were looking forward to the new family owners refurbishment and reopening this Spring. Now sadly overtaken by events.
 Travel Rules - legacylad
These ‘travel rules’ seem open to interpretation depending on the individual police force/officer. In my part of the world people are paranoid about second home owners visiting for a weekend, or god forbid coming to stay for several weeks. I can understand their argument, as I could when in Spain and thousands of Madrilenos flocked to the Costa Blanca bringing the virus with them. OTOH lots of locals think it acceptable to visit the few local food shops several times a day...milk, bread, sweets, cigs, bottle of wine. They are just as bad. The idea of doing one food shop a week simply doesn’t register....they like to have a chat with their friends numerous times a day.
A pal of mine goes out cycling mostly days. 50+ miles over several hours. Zero social interaction with anyone, yet his neighbour, who goes to the shops twice daily, where he meets folks for a chat, thinks he is being irresponsible !
Seems you can’t win.
 Travel Rules - sooty123
I think that's just some people, you can't get through to them. As long as everyone else is inconvenienced but not them, then that's fine.
 Travel Rules - Fullchat
This is what we're up against. Daily Mail video on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=237325520985353
 Travel Rules - zippy
>> This is what we're up against. Daily Mail video on Facebook.
>>
>> www.facebook.com/watch/?v=237325520985353
>>
>>

There are idiots all over the place.

Friends of ours live in a posh close in a posh village and there was a large garden party at the weekend in one of the houses there.

Apparently the law doesn’t apply to them as they are supposedly middle class and well equated!

Doesn’t stop them being muppets though!
 Travel Rules - R.P.
Indeed not.
Latest Forum Posts