Non-motoring > Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 10

Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - borasport
The title says it all really.
We are looking for somewhere for a long weekend, and were recommended the Tempest Arms near Skipton, but every time we get our act together to book time of work, they are full up by the time we get to try and book.

I'm sure we'de benefit from your experiences...
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Manatee
Whereabouts do you want to be?

Hawes in Wensleydale is probably my favourite dales town. A bit touristy but enough buzz and character to overcome that, and the coaches usually stop at the creamery just out of town. Some great walking without any need to get in the car first. I haven't used it personally but have had a good report of Cockett's Hotel,

www.cocketts.co.uk/

which I recall as being a "Temperance Hotel" when I first got to know Hawes 40 years ago! Hoof it up to Hardraw, a couple of miles mostly over the fields, and pop in to the Green Dragon if you want to see the longest single fall in England (though they'll charge you £2 for this!). They do accomodation as well but I haven't met anyone who's stayed there.

www.greendragonhardraw.com/

The road over the hill to Hubberholme has some beautiful views, and runs down towards Kettlewell alongside the bubbling nascent Wharfe. Hubberholme has special memories for me but the George is not what it was and has patchy write ups these days; similarly the Buck at Buckden and the White Lion at Cray, but look in to the church of St Michael and All Angels at Hubberholme, described by JB Priestley, whose ashes were buried there, as "one of the smallest and most pleasant places in the world".

If you want proper posh hotels, look to Ilkley, Pateley Bridge, Harrogate. A friend of ours ran the Harefield Hall Hotel in Pateley for a while many years ago - it is getting very good reports at present.

www.harefieldhall.com/
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - ....
If Brass Bands are your thing this is the weekend to be at Hardraw as the second Sunday in September is the Hardraw Scaur Brass Band Contest otherwise, best give it a miss.

www.yhbba.org.uk/Hardraw1.htm
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 11 Sep 10 at 12:03
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - R.P.
Easy reach of Harrogate, breathe in going over the bridge though.

www.nidderdale.co.uk/sportsmansarms/index.htm
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Manatee
I've just remembered a recent visit for a couple of pints to the White Bear in Masham - a cracking bar (recent Camra pub of the year) now with a new hotel which is getting great write-ups if you trust Tripadvisor. I like Masham as a location too.

www.thewhitebearhotel.co.uk/
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Perky Penguin
once you have picked one from the suggestions above you could always go to laterooms.com and see if they can do you a deal on the price.
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Iffy
Members of my family have stopped at the Scotch Corner hotel at, er, Scotch Corner.

My endearing mother, who is keen on the simple things being done properly, such as politeness and cleanliness, was impressed.

Couldn't be easier to find and good value for money.

www.hotels.com/ho141687/the-scotch-corner-hotel-scotch-corner-united-kingdom/

Not quite dales is The Nags Head near Thirsk, which describes itself as a 'residential country inn and restaurant'.

The food is a cut above.

www.nagsheadpickhill.co.uk/index.shtml

Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Dr Prunesqualler
The Crab Manor in Asenby near Thirsk is excellent though not actually in the Dales. The adjoining restaurant, the Crab and Lobster, is wonderful. if you do stay you can have fun looking for the secret tap, which once you have found it, dispenses free beer.

Swinton Park just outside Masham is also fantastic. Very pricey but worth the dosh for a special occasion Restaurant is good too.
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - legacylad
I live in Giggleswick, just over t'Ribble from Settle.
Do you want a 'proper' hotel viz the Dev at Bolton Abbey, or The Fell, or the Traddock at Austwick or would a decent B & B do the job, with recommendations for evening meal?
More than happy to give advice if you email me.
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - Bellboy
or the nidd
lovely place
fantastic food
so peaceful too
we kept the bar open long after hours when we had a family gathering there last year
in fact we had a power blackout and couldnt work out if it was the mangement trying to tell us something
 Hotel recommendations, Yorkshire Dales - borasport
Thank for all the suggestions so far

LL
>> I live in Giggleswick, just over t'Ribble from Settle.
>> Do you want a 'proper' hotel viz the Dev at Bolton Abbey, or The Fell,
>> or the Traddock at Austwick or would a decent B & B do the job,
>> with recommendations for evening meal?
>> More than happy to give advice if you email me.
>>

either, as long as we can eat well in the evenings :-)
Latest Forum Posts