Non-motoring > Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 39

Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - BobbyG
Just wondering if there is a set procedure that police use for identification in the event of fatal or serious RTAs.

So driver only in car is killed, what is the "sequence of events" that police would follow from that point? I assume search body/car for id, check registered keeper from plates. What if lease company? When get home address just turn up and chap? What if no answer, or maybe a 13 year old kid is in on their own?

My neighbours probably know where I work, certainly don't have mobile numbers to contact us. So phone a work, who would they ask for etc etc?

Any experts out there care to share?

(When our house went on fire and we were all out, someone in the street phoned the school and said "could you contact the parent of the wee boy who lives in x street and tell them their house is on fire!)
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - R.P.

(When our house went on fire and we were all out, someone in the street phoned the school and said "could you contact the parent of the wee boy who lives in x street and tell them their house is on fire!)

I assume it was a well-meaning person ?
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Mapmaker

>> I assume it was a well-meaning person ?
>>

Rather than a message delivered in an Irish accent complete with code word?
Yes!, it was the person who also phoned 999
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - teabelly
If you're that worried about being in a fatal RTA I'd suggest you stop going out :-) Could always leave a photo in the car with contact details on the back so they can check it's you and where you lived....

Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - vitesse
I'm not sure of the total procedure but from talking to a pathologist the first thing is to establish the identity of the corpse. He told me of a case where one flat mate had borrowed anothers clothes and there was almost an incorrect identity established following a fatal car crash. The pathologist used dental records to identify the body.

vitesse
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Zero
The old bill *really* hate going round to the family to say the loved ones have been killed, only to find out its not the case.

It has happened.
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - bathtub tom
I always carry my mobile when I'm out of the house ('mein handy', in Stephen Fry parlance). It has ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers for home, SWMBO's mobile and SWMBO's place of work in the memory.
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Bromptonaut
>> 'mein handy', in Stephen Fry parlance

My son latched on to Wo ist mein handy; it became the 'mot de vacances' for our summer hols!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 11 Sep 10 at 01:10
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - CGNorwich
Its a good idea to include an In Emergency Contact under ICE in your mobile phone.
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Iffy
...Its a good idea to include an In Emergency Contact under ICE in your mobile phone...

Suppose it is, but in the case of an RTC, the CC3 is privately owned and a check of any of a number of databases would lead straight to me.

Unless some scroat nicked it!
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Perky Penguin
What is a CC3 please, for those of us who still have CB radios and flared jeans? Some sort of Citroen?
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sat 11 Sep 10 at 16:07
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - R.P.
Some sort of roofless Ford :-)
Got it. That is the one that lets in the rain whether roof is down or up ISTR -:)
...That is the one that lets in the rain whether roof is down or up...

Very droll.

Mine doesn't leak, actually, although someone will be along in a minute to tell me it does.

Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Old Navy
>> Mine doesn't leak, >>

You missed out "yet" from your statement. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Sep 10 at 17:49
>> ...That is the one that lets in the rain whether roof is down or up...
>>
>> Very droll.
>>
>> Mine doesn't leak, actually, although someone will be along in a minute to tell me
>> it does.

That makes it unique, just like your branch of Barclays.

;)
Why is it that some people on here seem so desperate for the roof of my CC3 to leak?

I have some lively banter with other members, but I don't wish motoring - or any other - problems on anyone.

Yet whenever the subject of the CC3's roof comes up, there's always posts almost willing the roof to leak.

An outside observer might conclude there's an element of jealousy.
You are being a bit hypersensitive IMO! Nobody is willing your roof to leak - they are saying you are very lucky if it doesn't! ISTR to that the leak problem applied to most CC3s but wasn't mentioned in the brochure as an extra. Ford bought a lot of them back from disgruntled owners and stopped production for some time until the problem was sorted. All is now OK. Have I got that about right?
...until the problem was sorted. All is now OK...

The later ones are a lot less prone to leaks, although one of the service guys at the Ford place told me some still do.

I doubt mine is unique in being water-tight, I think the majority of post-recall CCs don't leak.

Another word often mentioned is 'yet' - hopefully, mine won't spring a leak in the few years I'll probably keep it for.

Lighten up ifit, remember my KIA only has a seven year warranty because it is a piece of junk. (I still prefer it to the Focus I owned.) :)
>>Yet whenever the subject of the CC3's roof comes up

But will it go down again?

Sorry. Couldn't resist it. ;>)
...But will it go down again? Sorry. Couldn't resist it. ;>)...

Ho-ho - very good.

There's something in the handbook about emergency manual operation to close it.

It says you need two people.
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - MD
>> >> ...That is the one that lets in the rain whether roof is down or
>> up...
>> >>
>> >> Very droll.
>> >>
>> >> Mine doesn't leak, actually, although someone will be along in a minute to tell
>> me
>> >> it does.
>>
>> That makes it unique, just like your branch of Barclays.
>>
>> ;)
>>
Hehe!
Iffit. It my true belief that there are no bad Apples amongst the regulars. We are in the main all of a certain age (I think) and taking the 'P' is what we do. It is harmless, but rest assured it won't stop. There is nothing more satisfying than making a slight scratch bleed a bit. All good Men and true Methinks.

Best reg's..................Martin.
...It is harmless, but rest assured it won't stop...

Martin,

There's an undercurrent of nastiness which I will either ignore or reply to - my choice.

I'm my own man, unlike some on here.
Slightly over sensitive Sir.
...Slightly over sensitive Sir...

Maybe, but on t'other hand, it's also an easy answer.

I'm supposed to take a few digs - all part of the banter, old man - but when I fire a few back, it's 'lighten up, iffy', or 'don't be so sensitive'.

Still, it all goes to make this place what it is.

Leave the poor chap alone, His roof may be perfect but he hasn't mentioned the rest of the car. :)
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - rtj70
I think some of the problems on all CC type cars is raising and lowering the roof when on the move at low speeds. It can flex and cause damage. I'd try to avoid closing/opening such a car whenever not stationary.

I hope iffy's car continues to be trouble free and a car he enjoys.
This is a true and noble sentiment - you don't want iffy's car to be iffy! I'll drink to that!
...I hope iffy's car continues to be trouble free and a car he enjoys..This is a true and noble sentiment...

rtj and Perky,

Thanks for the motoring equivalent of keep well cards.

Mention is made elsewhere of peeling alloys, and the cheap and nasty shiny trim strip on the CC3's nearside door has begun to discolour.

Some owners would moan about it, but I can't be bothered.

The car's not badly made overall, I'd say about average for a mass-produced vehicle.

>> Leave the poor chap alone, His roof may be perfect but he hasn't mentioned the
>> rest of the car. :)
>>

For example, at one year old, as the trim warranty expired, the alloy wheel laquer on my Focus started peeling off and allowed corrosion to start.
thats a common VW failing too,
Have had 3 of my SEAT alloys replaced under warranty for corrosion.

How did we get to this from my original post?
its called c4p thread drift.
 Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - Armel Coussine
The police aren't going to tell you the procedure because you don't need to know it. No one else here knows it. So they are all rabbiting about the first thing that comes into their heads.

There were fewer bats outside this house in the gloaming tonight, and they were flying lower. It was a bit cooler, with a breeze. Some connection perhaps, but what do I know? The church bells were donging away, some Saturday evening thing, so that might have put the little silent fighter-planes off. I really dig bats.

The church clock here strikes the hour on the hour all day and night. Then about a minute later it strikes it again. Very weird.

Dealing with fatal/serious RTAs and identification - hawkeye
>>
>> The church clock here strikes the hour on the hour all day and night. Then
>> about a minute later it strikes it again. Very weird.
>>
>>
It's a repeater; in case you lost count the first time round.
Its an echo, from the cave in the mountain where the bats live
Latest Forum Posts