Non-motoring > Cheques Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 32

Cheques - borasport
A swift tidy up whilst searcing for some lost documentation has revealed a number of redundant chequebooks.
As we are all worried about identity theft these days, how would you get rid of them ?
I'm not inclined to rip all the pages out and feed then through the shredder, (there are quite a few of them) and burning them is not an option unfortunately
 Cheques - R.P.
I always shred them, worth the effort.
 Cheques - Iffy
Chuck 'em in a bowl of boiling water.

I imagine they will turn to unreadable mulch.

Cheques - Robin O'Reliant
Sell them on ebay, making sure you close the bank account first.
 Cheques - Cliff Pope
Send them to me, I run a cheque disposal business. Just sign to indicate you have read the terms and conditions.
 Cheques - Chris S
It'll be bonfire night in about 7 weeks. Just put them in a plastic bag and throw them on it.
 Cheques - Iffy
A serious suggestion - take them to your bank.

I think it's reasonable for you as a customer to ask the bank to add the books to their confidential waste for secure disposal.

Cheques - rtj70
Cancel the cheque range. I couldn't lay my hands on the old cheque book after moving (not actually lost). I ordered a new one and they wanted to cancel the old one and they did. Told to destroy it if I found it.
 Cheques - Zero
>> A serious suggestion - take them to your bank.
>>
>> I think it's reasonable for you as a customer to ask the bank to add
>> the books to their confidential waste for secure disposal.

Given that most banks just dump the confidential waste bag outside the branch, for the collection van that arrives sometime during the night, Thats not a good idea.

Cheques - Iffy
...Thats not a good idea....

Barclays opposite my office carry the confidential waste from inside the branch straight to the collection van.

I've often seen the relay of staff do it, which is what gave me the idea.

Sorry to get in the way of another negative post.

I think you should rename yourself 'minus Zero'.
 Cheques - MD
Leave him alone. he's right AGAIN!! Damn.
 Cheques - Iffy
...Leave him alone. he's right AGAIN!!...

Whaddya mean he's right?

Barclays opposite my office do not do what he says - they dispose of the confidential waste properly.

Speak as you find.

Cheques - Zero
Iffy

Point 1

The hackers we employed would make straight for the banks back doors at 18:00 to rifle the secure security shredding bags. 5 days later one of our hackers presented the banks cheif security officers with the details of his bank account.

Point 2

ALL the major banks have been reprimanded by various authorities for leaving confidential customer financial information outside the bank

The barclays outside your office is probably unique, but believe me, a bank branch is the last place you want your old cheques left.
 Cheques - Iffy
...The barclays outside your office is probably unique...

Unlikely, but possible.

To move the discussion on a bit, I wonder if there's much criminal value in the information on a cheque?

Provided the cheques are made unusable - torn in half - I don't see the problem in throwing them in ordinary waste.

After all, you give the information away when you write one and give it to someone, so it's hardly a secret, is it?

Cheques - Zero
Its a blank cheque, potentially negotiable.
 Cheques - Iffy
...Its a blank cheque, potentially negotiable...

I did say torn in half.

Having said that, there have been instances near Ifithelps Towers of people rooting around in wheelie bins looking, we are told, for credit card statements and the like.

Cheques - MD
Lots of info around and about regarding confidential stuff left in ordinary rubbish outside banks.

Z1...Iffy0

Haha :0)
 Cheques - Iffy
...Lots of info around and about regarding confidential stuff left in ordinary rubbish outside banks...

Yes, but what have you actually seen?

And have been directly effected?

Don't tell me answers, let me guess.

'Nothing' and 'no'?

Cheques - MD
Widely reported in the press years ago re Nat west.

You shouldn't bite when you're wrong you know!
 Cheques - Iffy
Martin,

How can I be wrong? I know what I've seen, simple matter of fact.

And you've avoided answering the question.

Never mind 'reports' and what Zero tells you, have you ever seen bank waste lying around?

And have you ever been adversely effected by your bank leaving waste lying around?

Once more, I'm prepared to guess the answers are 'no' and, let me think now, 'no'.

Or am I wrong again?

Cheques - Zero
Yes I have seen it, and yes you are wrong.

I have worked in banks extensively till january.
 Cheques - Iffy
..., and yes you are wrong...

How many more times?

Barclays near me dispose of their waste properly.

Don't tell me I don't know what I see.

Every other bank could be scattering its waste down the local high street for all I care.

Cheques - R.P.
Can we compromise on the basis that some branches of some banks may have different systems and locally adopted procedures ?
 Cheques - Runfer D'Hills
>> Can we compromise ....

Nah, let 'em sort it out in't car park.....

My money's on the Geordie......

:-)
 Cheques - Iffy
...My money's on the Geordie...

Geordie?

When I've dealt with the soft southern Jesse, I'll sort out the ex-pat Jock next.

Assuming you're not from Glasgow, in which case, can I buy you a drink?
Last edited by: ifithelps on Sat 11 Sep 10 at 19:03
 Cheques - Zero
look - he cant win an poxy arguement on here, he's got no bleedin chance in the car park.
 Cheques - BobbyG
>>When I've dealt with the soft southern Jesse, I'll sort out the ex-pat Jock next.

Who is the ex-pat Jock??
 Cheques - rtj70
>> Who is the ex-pat Jock??

Humph?
 Cheques - BobbyG
Thats what I thought but he hasn't really be involved here!

Iffie, I am from Glasgow, if I slag you off will you buy me a beer?
 Cheques - Iffy
...Thats what I thought but he hasn't really be involved here!...

Humph was urging me and Zero to sort it out in the car park, and then he called me a Geordie, and then....

Oh never mind, I think the moment's passed.
 Cheques - Zero
But iffy, you didnt ask about the branch of Barclays near you, you said "have you ever seen bank waste lying around?"

Yes you are right.

ABout your branch of Barclays.
 Cheques - MD
2-0
 Cheques - Iffy
...2-0...

Martin,

If Zero told you to jump in the river, would you do it?

On second thoughts, don't answer that, I don't want to be responsible for a drowned builder.

Latest Forum Posts