Non-motoring > night sky Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 6

night sky - devonite
for the last 3 years I;ve been going over to my friends house on a fri or sat eve to play chess and enjoy a couple of tins. As I go home between 11.30 - M/N Orion is usually due south, directly in line with his front path at an angle of about 45 degrees, it was for the last couple of years anyway, we often commented on it. Fri night, I was leaving at 12am, and saw Orion for the first time this year, I usually start seeing it about early November, but the sky has been too cloudy this back end. Strangely, instead of being right outside his front door, it was way off to the right, about 1.30 on clock face analogy. Has the Earths rotation slowed that much over the last 12 months? surely not! Anybody else noticed anything strange /out of place? could it be anything to do with all the strange weather the world is seeing lately? I'll take more notice this week, if it's clear!
 night sky - Duncan
Orion in the night sky.

earthsky.org/tonight/orion-rises-in-the-east-at-mid-evening
 night sky - Duncan
My favourite little known fact is that the Winter Solstice, although the shortest day, is not the day with the earliest sunset, nor the day with the latest sunrise. Similar principle but reversed for the Summer Solstice. June 21st is not the day with the earliest sunrise.

Source?

www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london scroll down a bit and change the month in the box.

night sky - Dog
Shirley you've answered your own question - you usually start seeing it in early November.

Um, it's now early February??

:o}
 night sky - devonite
Thats what's strange sire! thro nov -about marchish it never seems to move - not noticeably to the naked eye anyway! - but fri last it was well off!
 night sky - Dog
My bedroom faces east and I sees the Plough (Big Dipp) when I look up at night.

Layder on in the early hours it's moved (or we have - if the Earth moves for you)

Someone who's into Gastronomy will be along soon to give a defo answer to your question.

I did buy an alf-decent refractor + lenses in a previous life, but when I looked at the stars I was disappointed and prefer a good pair of binos mounted on a tripod through which I've seen the rings of Saturn and many of Jupiter's moons.
 night sky - Bromptonaut
All of the stars and the constellations we see them make appear to move E>W in same way as sun. As our earth moves around the sun the stars we see at night change. As with the sun fact that earth's rotational axis is not perpendicular to its orbit will make a difference too.

Orion is only visible in winter and will cease to appear in our skies in next few weeks returning in November.
Latest Forum Posts