Non-motoring > Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 23

Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - VxFan
ITV News presenter Alastair Stewart is stepping down from his role following what ITN called "errors of judgment in Alastair's use of social media" (basically something he said on Twitter)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51300799

ITN said he had breached editorial guidelines, but did not elaborate on the reasons for his departure.

However, other websites have elaborated on what was said.

metro.co.uk/2020/01/29/alastair-stewart-resurfaced-tweet-compares-black-man-ape-itv-news-presenter-quits-12148494/

Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - Bromptonaut
I was intending to post this too though I would have placed it in the Darwin Award thread.

His stupidity was fatal to his career rather than his person but the principle is there.
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - tyrednemotional
...I suspect the real reason was that he wouldn't stop talking about football at work..... ;-)
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - Robin O'Reliant
I can't understand why anyone in the public eye bothers with social media. One slip of the tongue, moment of anger or an "Edgy" post after a few sherbets and you're toast.
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - BiggerBadderDave
"a few sherbets"

And driving afterwards. Isn't this the guy who fronted some "Road Wars" kinda programme but got fired for drink-driving?

There's something about him I've never liked.
>> And driving afterwards. Isn't this the guy who fronted some "Road Wars" kinda programme but
>> got fired for drink-driving?

IIRC he was a newsreader and, while employed in that capacity, was convicted for DD - on a reading well over limit. His role in Road Wars was intended to be a sort of mea culpa outlet. But then he got caught again.

There may have been a sherbert addiction issue....
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - No FM2R
>>There may have been a sherbert addiction issue....

Two DD convictions 20 years apart seems insufficient for such an unnecessary comment.
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - Zero
>> >>There may have been a sherbert addiction issue....
>>
>> Two DD convictions 20 years apart seems insufficient for such an unnecessary comment.

But it does display a degree of carelessness, if not stupidity.
Meh. Perhaps.

I absolutely never drink and drive now but could you have caught me twice between 1985 and 2005? Pretty sure that'd be a yes.
>> Meh. Perhaps.
>>
>> I absolutely never drink and drive now but could you have caught me twice between
>> 1985 and 2005? Pretty sure that'd be a yes.

I got caught once, Once is enough for most sensible peeps; And as for being stupid a third time? (albeit in a different way but similar context)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 Jan 20 at 15:11
Was he caught three times? That is indeed dumb.

Twice 20 years apart just seems ordinary, run of the mill, stupid.
>> Was he caught three times? That is indeed dumb.
>>
>> Twice 20 years apart just seems ordinary, run of the mill, stupid.

No I mean, a third PR mistake, two DD and once silly Social media gaff. It shows a distinct lack of awareness of your public position. Specially when all you have is a public position.
Agreed.

Why these people get involved in Social Media on a personal level at all is beyond me. It never goes well.
>>
>>
>> Why these people get involved in Social Media on a personal level at all is
>> beyond me. It never goes well.
>>

Especially when people have had to resign from important jobs when someone dug out a post they made a decade or more ago.
 Newsreader Alastair Stewart Quits After 40+ Years - Kevin
>Twice 20 years apart just seems ordinary, run of the mill, stupid.

More than stupid. He was caught very close to home and he lives within walking distance of his local.

Mind you, as far as this social media spat is concerned, his accuser isn't exactly an angel.
>> Mind you, as far as this social media spat is concerned, his accuser isn't exactly
>> an angel.

Assertive, perhaps even aggressive, but keeps clear of stuff that looks like a racial slur?
>Assertive, perhaps even aggressive, but keeps clear of stuff that looks like a racial slur?

No. Only if you consider his twitter posts, now deleted but too late, complaining of white 'cheesecake' could not possibly be taken as a racial slur.
>> Two DD convictions 20 years apart seems insufficient for such an unnecessary comment.

TBH I'd not realised the gap.

The second however was 3 times limit; that's way beyond any miscount of glasses or confusion as to their size.

I also thought he admitted a problem after conviction #2 but I may be wrong.
>>
>>
>> I also thought he admitted a problem after conviction #2 but I may be wrong.
>>
>>
He did.
>>
>>
>> And driving afterwards. Isn't this the guy who fronted some "Road Wars" kinda programme but
>> got fired for drink-driving?
>>
>> There's something about him I've never liked.
>>
Police, Camera, Action was the series he presented. He did come across as a sanctimonious prat with his "And the naughty boy got his just deserts from the boys in blue" attitude. It caused great merriment when he got his DD convictions.
Years ago I used to hang around with him from time to time in the ITV smoking area. (on the pavement down an alley).

Always seemed a really pleasant person to me.
More background here:

tinyurl.com/wwhaefm (Metro newspaper)
Bromp,

that Metro article doesn't tell the whole story.

tinyurl.com/r4qp3ur (link to DM)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Stewart, in fact I think he's even dumber than I first thought. Given his accusers previous tweets it was only going to go one way.
>> Bromp,
>>
>> that Metro article doesn't tell the whole story.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/r4qp3ur (link to DM)

We may have to disagree over existence of white (or for that matter male) privilege. Neither can I equate the cheesecake analogy with racism. In fact as a description certain mono-cultural and moneyed outfits I rather like it.

Latest Forum Posts