Non-motoring > Ryanair Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 26

Ryanair - maltrap
Does anyone (like me) use Ryanair.

As their fares fluctuate a lot is there a good time to book ?
 Ryanair - CGNorwich
As early as possible would seem the way to go

Ryanair - Bromptonaut
Early is generally way and best option where dates and destination are fixed and known in advance.

If looking for a bargain break and happy to let flight cost choose your destination for you then there are bargains in waiting and going for places they've got more seats than bums.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 28 Jan 20 at 18:17
 Ryanair - CGNorwich
True but Ryanair fly with a 98% load factor. The algorithm is so sophisticated that planes seldom have a surplus of seats over passengers. If you do manage to grab a cheap seat they cleverly manipulate the prices of the return flights to compensate for the loss on the outgoing flight
 Ryanair - No FM2R
Typically how flexible are your dates?
 Ryanair - maltrap
The dates and routes are fixed. BHX to TFS and BHX to PMI.

Ive been using both Ryanair & Jet2 since Monarch went bust.

Jet2's fares are fixed & generally more than Ryanair.I think it's a case of you get what you pay for.

It's a bit like Wetherspoons, good value for money but some of the customers leave a bit to be desired.
 Ryanair - Zero
>> Does anyone (like me) use Ryanair.
>>
>> As their fares fluctuate a lot is there a good time to book ?

I try and avoid them wherever possible, and have managed to do so for 13 years.
 Ryanair - Bromptonaut
>> I try and avoid them wherever possible, and have managed to do so for 13
>> years.

That's my philosophy too. Both my kids have used them as has Mrs B when there's no alternative (eg from Clermont Ferrand to UK) or for Bologna where other options were BA or Alitalia.
 Ryanair - CGNorwich
Dont think that they are any worse than other low cost carriers. Their planes are pretty new and they have an unmatched safety record. Their timekeeping is good too. If they fly to where I want to go I use them if they are cheapest.

Not much time for those who want luxury and personal service when theyr'e paying £49 for a flight.
 Ryanair - Zero
>> Dont think that they are any worse than other low cost carriers.

They are, because they dont actually fly to where they say they flying to, the price is not actually the price they quote, the seats are uncomfortable, the pitch is crippling, I cant stand their mouthy chairman, and I wont use them.

End of.
 Ryanair - CGNorwich

>> End of.
>>

So now you have posted a bunch of inaccuracies we aren’t allowed to say any more? A tad rude dont you think?
 Ryanair - Zero
>>
>> >> End of.
>> >>
>>
>> So now you have posted a bunch of inaccuracies we aren’t allowed to say any
>> more? A tad rude dont you think?

None of it is inaccurate. And no its not rude, I chose not to fly Ryan Air, and I will continue not to fly Ryan Air because I don't need to and I am allowed to make that choice, and I dont have to consider your viewpoint in my choice.
 Ryanair - CGNorwich
I’m no asking you to consider my viewpoint when choosing your flight just perhaps be slightly less aggressive in your posts.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 28 Jan 20 at 20:06
 Ryanair - Bromptonaut
>> None of it is inaccurate. And no its not rude, I chose not to fly
>> Ryan Air, and I will continue not to fly Ryan Air because I don't need
>> to and I am allowed to make that choice, and I dont have to consider
>> your viewpoint in my choice.

I don't think they're alone in operating the 738 in a single class 189 seat layout (though their 737 Max version is ultra high density). While they still use Charleroi rather than Brussels National and neither main airport at Milan they've moved a lot of services eg Barcelona away from out of the way secondaries. And they're bound by same laws as other loco's that have stamped out 'come on' fares excluding mandatory add ons like tax.

On the flip side O'Leary's not changed and their customer service is still suspect. They may have an unparalleled safety record now but they were very lucky with near misses at Munich, Milan, Beauvais and some place in Finland in the noughties. And as for employment practices.....
 Ryanair - legacylad
Likewise I try to avoid. Flying to Alicante ( Benidorm) the cabin crew I’ve experienced let passengers get away with behaviour which isn’t tolerated on Jet2. Unfortunately, travelling with a 92yo, we can only fly at reasonable hours, so no crack of dawn or night departures which are the cheapo fares. The past few years I’ve had to use the Ryanair 13:20 LBA departure. This is no more.
And their scheduled flying times, for the same route, are longer than other airlines.
Hate their seats which I find most uncomfortable.
Jet2 my preferred low cost carrier every time, even if I have to pay more. Which I do. Use the month to view Jet2 website to find the cheapest fares, assuming you have date flexibility.
TBH whenever I’ve flown Ryanair I’ve made sure they fly to the airport nearest the posted destination....not sure about Venice though, but Jet2 deffo fly to Marco Polo from where I’ve caught the scheduled water taxi to the wetlands
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 28 Jan 20 at 19:45
 Ryanair - The Melting Snowman
Occasionally use them for the Bristol to Limoges route and found them adequate. Just as well since they are the only company working that route. The route is not popular with drunken louts so am happy to use them again.
 Ryanair - BiggerBadderDave
I generally fly return about every 6 weeks or so and I book in for the coming two or three flights. I go for the earliest flights - about 5.30am and avoid Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon - they're usually more expensive. Wizzair for Luton, Ryanair for the North.

Prices fluctuate throughout the year and book early obviously. Sometimes expensive. Usually reasonably cheap. And sometimes silly daft cheap. If I have undecided, not-quite-sure plans and the price is silly daft cheap, I book it anyway.

Don't like Ryanair - vile coffee. Wizzair is ok - reasonable coffee.
 Ryanair - Kevin
I've only used them once and that was because they had the the right timing (evening flight ALC to LGW). Aircraft wasn't exactly clean, seats are bum-numbing and our fellow passengers included a group of girls with broken volume controls. Not exactly low-cost either.

And what's the idea behind the day-glo yellow and blue interior colours? No wonder some of the more 'relaxed' passengers get buzzed.

My pet hate is still short haul BA though.
"Dont think that they are any worse than other low cost carriers."

Not so sure about that.

I've never had, nor witness other customers having a problem with Wizzair.

I've never had a problem with Ryanair (no luggage or occasionally a laptop) but I always watch unsuspected customers desperately trying to squeeze their holdall in that size-testing frame. And a couple of others with their luggage open, trying to repack everything into one bag. And I'm not talking about huge suitcases, just slightly larger. And by 'just slightly larger', I mean acceptable the year before when their size regulation was bigger.
 Ryanair - Netsur
Used them once on a trip booked with Kiwi.com so that I had connecting flights via Bergamo. It was fine. Bergamo is a (very) nice airport so it was fine for a two hour layover. The planes were clean, we landed on time and the price was right.

I understand the issues people have with them, but generally their weird restrictions are well publicised so that its only your own fault if you bring a bag that is too big.

However as there are only B737 and A320 models for the 3x3 layout of single aisle jets, the air industry regulators together with the manufacturers should simply set a standard size of cabin bag for the overhead locker and similarly for the under the seat space. That way no airline can gouge you for being 1cm too big for their self-determined cabin luggage size. I would pay £5 for a guarantee of an overhead locker space.

Ryanair - Terry
I will only use them if there is no alternative.

They seem to behave as though they are doing me a favour in actually allowing me to sit on their aircraft. Normally as a customer I at least expect to be treated pleasantly and with a modicum of respect and courtesy.

In reality their costs are not massively different to other low cost carriers - but I will happily pay a little extra, and accept a little inconvenience, to avoid the Ryanair experience.
"restrictions are well publicised"

So is Wizzair's. But none of the bullying.
The next one is £31.24 for a return on Wizzair. £16 to travel 1000 miles. Daft isn't it?

Wonder what the train costs, Luton-London. I usually pick up a rental car but if not, I take the coach which is £8 pre booked I think.
 Ryanair - zippy
>>Wizzair

Please don't. Walking is a better option.
 Ryanair - CGNorwich
I wouldn’t recommend Ryanair for anyone unable or unprepared to comply with clearly stated terms an conditions or unable to check that the location of their destination airport is suitable for their needs but if you can read, measure and weigh a suitcase and have access to a map then they are just fine.
 Ryanair - Dulwich Estate II
". . . but if you can read, measure and weigh a suitcase and have access to a map then they are just fine. "

I couldn't agree more. I am more than happy to use them. I've flown short haul BA, EasyJet and Ryanair in the last few months. Apart from the colours, when inside it's hard to tell them apart.

PS I happily shop in LIDL and Aldi too.
 Ryanair - No FM2R
The *most* important thing for me with an airline is predictability.

If they stick to their own rules, their own schedule and their own arrangements then I have no problem with any airline.

In truth I mostly care about little else.

What annoys me beyond measure is when they don't. And Ryanair, Easyjet and similar rely on their own consistency for their profit (controlled cost) so what's not to like.

They certainly don't hide their rules.
Latest Forum Posts