Non-motoring > Perspectives Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 21

Perspectives - zippy
30 year old God Daughter with a young family, has just been told that she has inoperable cancer.

They are starting chemo. The cancer is already at stage 4.

Really puts a perspective on things.
 Perspectives - Zero
It does. Palliative care has moved on loads in the last few years, its now very holistic, trying to achieve a quality of life for the patient, and support for family and loved ones. As long as you cant get it all plugged in, the McMillan nursing team is the place to get this engaged.

Death is a constant, and will affect all of us in its various forms.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Jan 20 at 12:12
 Perspectives - Bromptonaut
So sorry to hear this.

Zero mentions MacMillan nursing but they also fund excellent services to help with financial consequences of cancer including debt, benefits and other and other money advice.

If she has a terminal diagnosis there are 'Special Rules' for benefits including PIP and UC/New Style ESA.

www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/benefits-social-care-system/special-rules
 Perspectives - R.P.
Awful news Zippy.
 Perspectives - zippy
Jo passed away early this morning. Family at her side.

If I close my eyes I can clearly see me bounce her on my knee when she was still a toddler.

Perspectives - Zero
Sympathies. I hope her quality of life was maintained as near the end as possible,
 Perspectives - zippy
Thanks.

The local hospice is a remarkable place and the staff there are very special.

Jo was never upset at the diagnosis or the roller coaster ride which included what looked to be remission at one point, only for the cancer to return far more aggressively.

She was a far braver person than I.

Now the task in hand switches to supporting her parents, husband and children as best we can.

Perspectives - James Loveless
Her family - and you - deserve our sympathy. It's a truly awful event when tragedy strikes so close to home.

Yes, hospices do an amazing job. I used to do voluntary stuff in the local one and it was a real eye-opener.
 Perspectives - VxFan
Sorry to hear your sad news Zippy.
 Perspectives - No FM2R
Very sorry to hear that. Condolences to all.
 Perspectives - PeterS
Sorry to hear this Zippy…so young.
Thinking of you, while in a reflective state in France myself.
Take care.
 Perspectives - Fullchat
So so tragic. Condolences Zippy.
 Perspectives - Ambo
I am full of admiration at the calm equilibrium shown by you and that formerly of your goddaughter, Zippy. I only hope I can summon something similar for next month, when my daughter faces a hazardous cancer operation.
 Perspectives - neiltoo
So Sorry

Neil
 Perspectives - zippy
Sorry to hear that Ambo, wishing your daughter all the best and a speedy recovery.

To be honest, I was ok until about 2 this afternoon and then it hit me.

Jo's parents are, understandably, devastated, the mother having lost not only a daughter but her best friend, but are happy at the same time that she is no longer in pain and for those who believe, now in a better place.

Attention now needs to be focused on her children who have lost a wonderful mother and to her husband who has lost his wife.
 Perspectives - Manatee
Sincere sympathy from me also - horrible to lose someone so young.
 Perspectives - bathtub tom
I also have been too close to these sort of tragedies. I can sympathise, but the only advice I can offer is remember life must go on.
 Perspectives - Robin O'Reliant
My sympathy too, Zippy.

Life can be bloomin' tough at times.
 Perspectives - MD
I've been there. There are no words. My best mate went with that dreadful disease when he was 23yo some 40 years ago. I hope that you and yours cope with this as best you can.
 Perspectives - R.P.
Deepest sympathies - as you say perspective.
 Perspectives - Bobby
My sympathies to you Zippy and to all the family.

Think I have said here before but my wife is a Nurse in a Hospice and the care and compassion they are able to continue to give under the most emotional of circumstances never fails to amaze me.

Worst I remember my wife being was when they had a young mother in, she had refused treatment as it may have harmed her unborn child. Literally days after the birth, she was in the Hospice with her child and family. Her husband was trying to deal with a new baby and losing his wife at the same time. Everyone at the hospice rallied round for, I think, couple of weeks. Whether it be clinical staff, or office staff offering to "babysit" the older child, they all just did what they had to do to make her last days as peaceful as possible.

No matter how many patients you have had over the years, a young patient really hits hard with the staff emotionally. Think a large number of the staff needed emotional support after this young lady passed away.

Will never forget, when my mum died aged 47 and the priest saying to my gran and granda that no parent should ever have to deal with the death of their child. So true.
 Perspectives - No FM2R
I have untold respect for Hospice staff. They have a level of strength I simply do not have. Thank God they exist.
Latest Forum Posts