Non-motoring > Miele Spare Parts Green Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 57

Miele Spare Parts - zippy
Our Miele dishwasher died!

The repair man has said the circuit board to fix it costs £460, plus labour and there could be other problems as there are signs of a small leak. The machine is about 20 years old.

It seems such a shame to scrap it because of an electronics fault but what can you do. If the part was £100 it may have been worth a punt.

Now had look at the prices of new Miele - I think we might be getting a Bosch!
 Miele Spare Parts - RichardW
Commiserations..ours is nearly 20 years old... had to replace the seal on the rinse aid door recently - a piece of silicone about 5cm dia and 0.5cm thick cost £30!

Might be worth a look to see if there are any for sale on e-bay that are otherwise broken and build one out of 2?

On a similar vein have just spent £40 on a new tube end for our 20+ yo Dyson vacuum which is otherwise OK, rather than forking out £££ for a new one and consigning the plastic to landfill.
 Miele Spare Parts - Bobby
>>On a similar vein have just spent £40 on a new tube end for our 20+ yo Dyson vacuum which is otherwise OK, rather than forking out £££ for a new one and consigning the plastic to landfill.

My Dyson DC07 is on its last legs - was down at the local council dump today dumping a pile of carboard and there in amongst the electrical recycling was exact same model still with all the attachments on it! I was so tempted to wheech it into the boot of my car! But I didn't!
 Miele Spare Parts - Bromptonaut
>> My Dyson DC07 is on its last legs - was down at the local council
>> dump today dumping a pile of carboard and there in amongst the electrical recycling was
>> exact same model still with all the attachments on it!

I have a DC-03 that my Mother swore black=blue was knacked ten years ago.

My errand was to take it to the tip but I thought there was still life in it and after clearing stuff from airpath it worked OK.

Model is no longer supported by Dyson. Only way to get parts is via dumped vacs at the tip but Northants CC offer anything salvageable via recycling shops. Lots of good stuff there - as well as Vac bits I've found stuff to keep our vintage Dawes and Peugeot bikes on the road.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 8 Jan 20 at 21:16
 Miele Spare Parts - Clk Sec
>> My Dyson DC07 is on its last legs - was down at the local council
>> dump today dumping a pile of carboard and there in amongst the electrical recycling was
>> exact same model

That was possibly mine, and the best place for it...
 Miele Spare Parts - henry k
>> Our Miele dishwasher died!
>>
>> The repair man has said the circuit board to fix it costs £460, plus labour
>>
Do any of the PCB repair companies deal with Miele ?
 Miele Spare Parts - VxFan
Have you contacted Miele themselves to see how much a new PCB is, as I suspect your repair man will put a mark up on the parts?

I've had to do a couple of recent repairs to our 12 yr old Miele washing machine. New drain pump, and shock absorbers.

There are a varied selection of replacement parts out there, some 2nd hand, some pattern parts, and some genuine Miele.

I found going to Miele themselves was cheaper than buying genuine Miele from elsewhere.

However, saying that, there might be a few companies out there selling off genuine Miele parts cheap because they need the shelf space for newer spares. As I found out after buying the shock absorbers. Had I known the part No beforehand, I could have got them cheaper.
 Miele Spare Parts - Manatee
I repaired our Miele washer with an exchange board from an ebay repairer, cost about £30. I put new dampers in at the same time - again ebay IIRC, cost a few pounds (it's the out of balance drum banging about when the dampers are shot that breaks a joint in the PCB).

The Miele dishwasher that was written off in our recent house fire was a G646SC I think- there's a second hand board for that on ebay for £40.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 8 Jan 20 at 13:09
 Miele Spare Parts - bathtub tom
Replaced our Bosch dishwasher at around 5-years-old when the heater element went. Looked at the procedure to replace it and thought no.

Bosch washing machine went at around 8 years. I replaced the heater and a few weeks later the door switch/solenoid went, replaced that and then it started tripping the electrics. The motor seemed to be the problem, so I gave up and bought new.

Anyone want a nearly new Bosch W/M heater and door switch?
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero
My bosh DW is 10 years old, Just spent 220 quid replacing the racks* so as sure as eggs is eggs something major is going to give up the ghost.

*The plastic cracked revealing rusty wire racking. Bosch has been crap at making plastic parts for a large number of years, but impressive you can still get parts for a 10 year old appliance
 Miele Spare Parts - Kevin
Our previous Bosch DW lasted about 10 years before the heating element started tripping the ELCB. Cost of official spare made it uneconomic to repair so we bought a new DW, another Bosch which came with the offer of free delivery, fitting and disposal of old one.
First time we used it we discovered that they had changed some of the internal stainless parts to plastic. Also, the design of the racks had been changed so the dishes don't sit as easily as they used to and we can't get as much in it.

When this one gets replaced I'll be paying closer attention to the design of the racks.
 Miele Spare Parts - Dulwich Estate II
" When this one gets replaced I'll be paying closer attention to the design of the racks "

The trouble is that with so little stock in-store you can't really get to have a good look at the model you want to buy. I put it down to all these pesky people (inc. me !) using the internet to buy stuff cheaper.
 Miele Spare Parts - Terry
If the dishwasher is 20 years old it is surprising that they hold any spare parts at all - possibly bar generic seals etc.

Premium brands are frequently better than the bottom end of the market, but not very different to the middle market equivalents. Just look at motoring forums - recommended cars tend to come from volume Japanese and now Korean manufacturers. German (premium) brands are frequently the focus for criticism, major failures and time spent in dealers workshops.

For kitchen and household white goods simply buy mid-market, fix it if less than 5 years old, any older and it is just junk - go and buy a new one!
The exception is Miele, on a sample of two. My washer failed at 15 years due to a PCB component failure but after my home repair (parts <£50) it did another 4 years.

A dishwasher bought around the same time was still working perfectly at 19 years old when written off after a house fire (not started by the dishwasher!).

I never took the dishwasher apart, but the autowasher was a revelation. After removing the top the front hinged open to reveal the electronic bits. The was no crumbling concrete lump attached to the drum, just a crinkle-painted cast iron collar around it.
>> *The plastic cracked revealing rusty wire racking. Bosch has been crap at making plastic parts

Mine suffered that, I overcame it by using heat shrink on the affected finger.
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero

>> Mine suffered that, I overcame it by using heat shrink on the affected finger.

Too numerous affected parts and in areas with no slide over made that impossible
 Miele Spare Parts - Crankcase
Last and only time I tried to use heat shrink the ONLY thing affected was my finger.

Miele Spare Parts - Zero
your finger shrunk?
Zero was that a typo or really £220 for two racks??
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero
>> My bosh DW is 10 years old, Just spent 220 quid replacing the racks* so
>> as sure as eggs is eggs something major is going to give up the ghost.
>>

And so it came to pass most prophetically.

The bottom spray bar is not working, taken it apart as far as I can in situ, and it seems the bottom rack feed valve is closed. To get further mean taking it out from under the counter, un plumbing it and taking the bottom off

Parts are going to be at least 100 quid, and if its coming out, a new one is going in.
 Miele Spare Parts - smokie
I've a Bosch too and the racks are packing up. Joints seem to have rusted and so spikes are breaking off. But there are giveaways from time to time on Gumtree or eBay so when I can be bothered I'll grab up one of those and pick the bits out of it.
 Miele Spare Parts - CGNorwich
I tend to treat these things as er white goods. Buy the cheapest with the longest warranty as I can find and ditch the thing when anything serious goes wrong. Got a five year old Beko at the moment. Washes the dishes never gone wrong. What more do I want?
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero

>> Got a five year old Beko at the moment. Washes the dishes never gone wrong.
>> What more do I want?

Another 5?
Well it owes me nothing so that would be good. Cost £249.

Does anyone use all those different settings on dishwashers? Ours has been on the same setting since we bought it. Same with the microwave, only ever use the highest number. We do use 3 of the twenty odd on the washing machine though
 Miele Spare Parts - Ambo
Our Bosch dishwasher, SM... or SB... series (not clear which) does not clean reliably and each loaded piece has to be examined for food remnants when unloading. Some remnants are dried hard and need soaking to remove. Cutlery poses an extra problem; instead of the usual basket there is a tray with sharp spikes to hold the items edge-up and prick our fingers.

We always swore by Bosch as a reliable brand, for whatever appliance, but no more - even my Bosch shaver came to pieces recently.

>> Our Bosch dishwasher, SM... or SB... series (not clear which) does not clean reliably and
>> each loaded piece has to be examined for food remnants when unloading. Some remnants are
>> dried hard and need soaking to remove.

Presumably one of the spray arms is not rotating correctly. We had same issue with a Bosch machine around 8 years ago. Unfortunately Currys, with whom we had a service contract, had stopped using the Bosch service team and sent one of their own guys to look at it.

Clueless and decided it was beyond repair. We goy a new one but a Zanussi was all the payout would cover. Nothing loads as flexibly as a Bosch and we often end up doing two loads where the old machine would have done one.
I know I am a bit of a Miele fanboy but their slide out cutlery tray at the top of the cavity is vastly better than the basket type in the bottom rack (and leaves more room there for other stuff). We have a Bosch, just the 'Classixx' one, in our rented house and I mutter every time I put the cutlery away.

First world problem of course.
 Miele Spare Parts - R.P.
Miele's integrated microwave ovens are made in Wrexham. I know someone who works there if you're trying to source parts ;-)
 Miele Spare Parts - The Melting Snowman
Largely applies to most gadgets, I would say. I can't remember the last time the washing machine was on anything other than 30c Mixed Wash, extra water and slowest spin (apart from a six-monthly maintenance wash)
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero
the only thing that gets its knobs twiddled off a default setting is the oven and the hob. The rest just need an on off switch.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Jan 20 at 17:16
Replaced our Bosch dishwasher with a JLP one - swayed by the 3-year warranty. Turns out it's probably an Electrolux (sod it). The damn thing decides how long a wash should take and often stops short, without fully cleaning stuff. Looks like I'll have to use the 'intensive' program instead of the 'quick' and 'normal'.
You can't say that sort of thing on here, you'll get Big Bad Dave excited.
>>I can't remember the last time the washing machine was on anything other than 30c Mixed Wash, extra water and slowest spin
I use a similar program , non bio, non perfumed stuff but fast spin.

>> (apart from a six-monthly maintenance wash)
>>
I caught a very slight whiff from our machine so decided to do a " maintenance wash"
Did the research. professional Youtube and Which offerings 90c, soda and white vinegar etc.
The dispenser drawer has always been clean and I had previously cleaned the filter chamber.
The S/S drum looked no different but I did not trust the results so I then tried a simple rinse/ drain cycle.
There were lots of of sort of floaty bits in the water and the drain cycle did not clear them as the holes in the drum were too small.
A few repeats with some old towels seemed to clear the residue.
I suspect the bits were from the inside of hoses not hard scale.

Any other advice ?
I live in a hard water area. Should I use Calgon or similar ?
These people don't seem to think Calgon is needed:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/appliance-industry-news/41-news/3063-calgon-doesnt-work-finally-others-agree-with-us

More on maintenance washes:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-help/cleaning-maintenance/2773-washing-machine-a-washer-dryer-maintenance-wash/
>> More on maintenance washes:
>>
>> www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-help/cleaning-maintenance/2773-washing-machine-a-washer-dryer-maintenance-wash/

I decided to try the suggested product.
Prices vary for £7-9 for three tablets in a box to £6 for twenty tablets un-boxed.

I await delivery.
No need to buy that stuff

Washing soda is what you want Henry. £1.25 a packet in the supermarket or ironmongers. Use a handful in each wash. That softens the water. Run a hot maintenance wash once a month with a couple of handfuls of the stuff and some detergent.
I am very wary of using anything that may affect the current situation re my wife's state so I continue using non perfumed non biological washing liquid and fabric conditioner.
Since her last "event" she no longer objects or mentions perfume. Most odd as all the family got used to not using perfume.
I did try soda in a hot - 90 degree wash and it was not totally successful.
As the well reported methods / compounds have not cleaned things out I will try the tablets and see what happens. .
>> As the well reported methods / compounds have not cleaned things out I will try
>> the tablets and see what happens. .
>>
I drained the machine and there was certainly some soft muck came out of the pipe.
The filter had very little fluff and no valuables in it.
As per link by MS I tried one of the Affresh tabs and a 90 degree wash.
A fairly strong smell of disinfectant during the wash but no smell of any sort at the end.
I obviously have no idea if there was originally any scale and if so has it gone.
( We live in a hard water area )
At 35 pence a tab I will continue to splash out on my maitenance washes.
Maybe the service pipe should be regularly drained ?
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero

>> Any other advice ?
>> I live in a hard water area. Should I use Calgon or similar ?

Have the same water source as you, and while we need to descale the kettle, coffee machine and shower heads, never had to descale the washing machine or the dishwasher, assuming the liquid, powder etc has water softener in ( the salt in the dishwasher does that water softener job)
>> Any other advice ?
>> I live in a hard water area. Should I use Calgon or similar ?

I used to use citric acid to de-scale our old dishwasher and washing machine, but modern dishwashers seem to be much more efficient (that's why salt goes in them).
>> Does anyone use all those different settings on dishwashers?

Ours runs pretty much every night on same full wash programme. Occasionally if it's just cups and lightly used plates we use the 35 minute quick wash.
Are you short of crockery or are you running a B&B?

Unless we have guests ours goes about every 3 or 4 days (overnight of course in the cheap leccy window :-) )
I assume you have economy 7 then smokie? I had that when we moved into current house but found that whilst night time electricity was cheap the day time rate was well over the odds. Do you have night storage heaters or something to make it worthwhile?
CGN said "I assume you have economy 7 then smokie? "

Nah, you must have missed other threads here where I have mentioned my energy supplier, Octopus, so I can do it again :-)

I am on what they call their Go tariff. Daytime is 13.79p incl VAT, 00:30 to 04:30 is 4.98p incl VAT (plus 25p standing charge). Primarily designed for electric car charging (which is my main use) but also handy to do other stuff if poss. Others top up their domestic batteries, for use at other times of day.

If anyone wants to change, contact me for my referral code as we both get £50. Kev of this parish has just completed the process which was, I hope, painless for him.

>Kev of this parish has just completed the process which was, I hope, painless for him.

Completely painless. Just signed up using your referral code and they took care of everything keeping me informed at every stage of the process.

Got an email a couple of days ago saying they had credited £50 to my account. You should have one too.

Just waiting for them to get back to me about my request to install a new SMETS2 meter since my existing SMETS1 isn't due to get the firmware upgrade until Q3 this year.
 Miele Spare Parts - Zero
>> Are you short of crockery or are you running a B&B?
>>
>> Unless we have guests ours goes about every 3 or 4 days (overnight of course
>> in the cheap leccy window :-) )

We have the slimline one, two of us here, both of us cook, it goes on once a day.
 Miele Spare Parts - No FM2R
Ours is only used after large group dinners. And sometimes on Sundays.
>Ours is only used after large group dinners. And sometimes on Sundays.

I guess that ours gets used every 3 or 4 days or so. It depends on what we've been cooking since Mrs K is a piscivore/vegetarian whereas I still eat some meat so we'll sometimes make two variations of the same dish e.g. a real chilli or lasagne and a veggie version. It results is twice the number of pots and pans being used.
For some reason my diet is moving more in line with Mrs K's so we might not have that problem for too long.
 Miele Spare Parts - sooty123
>> Are you short of crockery or are you running a B&B?
>>
>> Unless we have guests ours goes about every 3 or 4 days (overnight of course
>> in the cheap leccy window :-) )
>>

Helps if you use paper plates I suppose ;-)
The dishwasher in our house is me. Far cheaper than a gadget, and probably gets it a darn sight cleaner too.
 Miele Spare Parts - No FM2R
Takes up more room in the kitchen though.
And not as good-looking either ;-)
 Miele Spare Parts - R.P.
And spoils Greek nights.
Every night is probably Greek night if he's washing up!
You cheeky bunch of suds.
 Miele Spare Parts - Dog
Same 'ere .. We've had 3 of these new-fangled washing up machines left in various owses I've bought & sold o'er the years, but never used 'em.

Couldn't live without a tumble fryer though - 'specially in Cornwall where it rains every day, and twice on Sundays.
I read somewhere that the ideal kitchen has two dishwashers - put the dirty dishes in one, then when clean you just use the dishes from it and then put dirty in the other dishwasher and so on. No need to ever empty a dishwasher into the cupboards!
 Miele Spare Parts - Fullchat
Now that I like!

My mates 17 year old Miele washing machine has just gone belly up. Must be something in the air?
Latest Forum Posts