Non-motoring > Paying by phone.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 10

Paying by phone.. - R.P.
Went out today on what turned out to be 165 mile bike trip. Stopped off for a brew (it was raining) and a spot of lunch only to find I'd left my wallet in another pair of trousers !!...the cafe accepted payment by phone. I regularly pay by phone so it's no big deal. I caught the woman at the till mention "yes we take contactless" does that mean that as long as a retailer takes Contactless a phone will always work.
 Paying by phone.. - PeterS
In my experience yes, even when they don’t think they take Apple Pay it always works. And I always use my phone in preference to contactless card since it means that the contactless limit (+30?) that applies to cards isn’t applicable :)
 Paying by phone.. - Zero
>> In my experience yes, even when they don’t think they take Apple Pay it always
>> works. And I always use my phone in preference to contactless card since it means
>> that the contactless limit (+30?) that applies to cards isn’t applicable :)

Gosh, I kind of assumed it did, so have never bothered to offer the phone for a bill above 30quid.
 Paying by phone.. - PeterS
No, the limit doesn’t apply with Apple Pay. Or at least, if it there is a limit I haven’t found what it is. I even paid for the MINI using it, just to see if I could. Both the salesman and I were interested!!

But, more prosaically, I use the phone in the supermarket all the time, and at petrol stations. Never use the watch though, you’d look like an idiot doing that :p
 Paying by phone.. - R.P.
There is no upper limit, but I;d expect a call if I was paying for an M3..!
 Paying by phone.. - Zero
Hmm not an iphone user, it seems that google pay has a 30 or 100 quid limit according to merchant
 Paying by phone.. - Bobby
In my experience some have limits and some don’t.
I am sure Tesco is £30 on Apple Pay but either ALDI or Lidl doesn’t have that cap.
Makes sense as Apple Pay has another level of security over a contactless card.
And my local B&Q doesn’t do contactless at all.
And they have just removed all their self scanning tills.
Strange.
 Paying by phone.. - R.P.
Bad news.I hate queueing at B&Q, although I only visit very occasionally these days preferring to get stuff online or from a very good local (non chain) building supplies place where they have a better stock and range than B&Q. I am eternally p****d off with B&Q after they dropped their pensioners' Wednesday, something which I'd looked forward to for many years !
Ironically I go to Screwfix much more for consumables. Reserve through the app and collect.
Owned by Kingfisher who own B&Q...
 Paying by phone.. - VxFan
>> I am sure Tesco is £30 on Apple Pay

It still is.

But for fuel I use my Tesco Mastercard and it gives me a couple more clubcard points, and at the till I use the Tesco Pay Plus App and you can spend up to £250 in one transaction.
Latest Forum Posts