Non-motoring > Car4play on a Nokia N95
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 70

Car4play on a Nokia N95 - BobbyG
I can't seem to get this website on my Nokia N95 8GB phone - it fully loads and just when it looks like it is ready to start browsing the website, it shuts the website down.
I can view and browse all sorts of websites and forums via the phone but not this one. Any reason why??
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 18:40
 Car4play on an iPhone - Zero
Its good on my iphone. tried changing your browser on the phone? Quite a few claim that the standard browser does not work with some sites. Try the opera browser for N95.

or get a decent phone. the N95 is rubbish.
 Car4play on an iPhone - BobbyG
>>or get a decent phone. the N95 is rubbish.

well come nearer xmas the "what phone should I get " thread will start. Problem is this does everything I want (apart from browsing this site obviously). Feel I should get an iphone cos everyone else has one but cross that bridge nearer the time.

Will try changing browser..
 Car4play on an iPhone - R.P.
Got a nice phone for sale Bobby - Blackberry Bold 9000 - Currently locked to 02 - twelve months old - unmarked (thanks to the Otterbox Case) yours for 90.00 ! (after 11 October)
Cheers PU, but I just don't like the Blackberrys. Don't know why, maybe its the small fiddly buttons but have just never appealed to me!

Apart from a Mitsubishi (about 12 years ago) and prior to that an original Motorola , I have only had Nokias. I like them, like the way they work, like the navigation etc and will consider another Nokia or maybe the iphone come contract renewal time.
 Car4play on an iPhone - WillDeBeest
Which iPhone / OS combination do you have, Z? It used to work well on my 3G with OS 3-point something. The other day I installed OS 4 and now it's barely usable - typing updates lag ages behind my finger (and I'm not that quick), and a few lines into a post the font will double and my typing ceases to appear at all. I have to go to Preview and back to Correct to regain control.

None (double-sizing just happened) of this is C4P's fault, of course. The new OS ruins other aspects of the 3G too, and I want the old one back. A bit of background audio isn't enough to make up for this nonsense.
}:---((
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 18:36
Incidentally (and this presumably is C4P's fault) the f* in my previous post covers two four-letter words referring to the magnitude of printed lettering. No offence intended!
I made an assumption and edited the word in - I'll ask the management if we can have a look at reviewing some stuff in the Swear Filter - sorry about that.
 Car4play on an iPhone - Iffy
...>or get a decent phone. the N95 is rubbish...

Or get a netbook and leave the phone for what it is best at - phoning people.

got a netbook but don't really want to take that into the toilet to pass the time browsing the net.......
 Car4play on an iPhone - corax
>> got a netbook but don't really want to take that into the toilet to pass
>> the time browsing the net.......

I would hate to have to be the person to use it after you...
 Car4play on an iPhone - Iffy
...I would hate to have to be the person to use it after you...

Is that the phone, the netbook, the toilet, or all three?

>> ...I would hate to have to be the person to use it after you...
>>
>> Is that the phone, the netbook, the toilet, or all three?

if he has dropped the netbook down the loo then yes, all three.
 Car4play on an iPhone - Mike Hannon
>Incidentally (and this presumably is C4P's fault) the f* in my previous post covers two four-letter words referring to the magnitude of printed lettering. No offence intended! <

The word describing a type style - not size - is actually 'fount' but pronounced (and now usually spelled wrongly) without the U.
I'm not pedantic, honestly, I'm just an old printer...
Not pedantic at all, just a font of knowledge...!
>> Which iPhone / OS combination do you have, Z? It used to work well on
>> my 3G with OS 3-point something. The other day I installed OS 4 and now
>> it's barely usable - typing updates lag ages behind my finger (and I'm not that
>> quick), and a few lines into a post the font will double and my typing
>> ceases to appear at all. I have to go to Preview and back to Correct
>> to regain control.

Oh dear, you got nabbed by the 4.x bug, you should have stayed on 3.x

I have the Iphone 4 running ios4.2 its very good and snappy.

I have an iphone 2g that cant take 4.x and that runs ok on 3.3

I also have an iphone 3g that i upgraded to ios4.1 and that is acomplete dog now. You can only really run ios4.x on 3gs and above, There is a fix coming for 3g that will resolve the performance issues with 3g/4.x combo.

Always check the forums before you do any major upgrades on anything, this merde hit the fan very soon after the 4.x upgrade came out.
I should have course said I was on 4.02 and you had the 4.01 bug

4.1.0 was out on wednesday, I will upgrade my test iphone 3g and let you know if it speeded up.
> ... I will upgrade my test iphone 3g and let you know if it speeded up.

Much obliged, Z
 Car4play on an iPhone - rtj70
Testing done by Anand on this site:

www.anandtech.com/show/3893/caring-for-the-elderly-ios-41-speed-boost-on-iphone-3g

Suggests that the update improves things a lot speed wise. But the iOS 3 in some cases was still faster. This is just highlighting how slow the 3G is now compared to the 3GS let alone the iPhone 4 or even the new 4th gen iPod Touch.

I installed 4.1 on my 3G last weekend and it does seem much better. In particular, I no longer get the varying type size that made posting here difficult, and the whole machine feels much more responsive than before. Whether it's as quick as it was before the v4 upgrade I can't say but it's usable again, which will do for me.

Z, if you're out there, thanks for the advice.
Today, my free "bumper" arrived. For those that don't know, these were supplied by Apple to overcome the "grip of death" - whereby holding the phone in a certain manner, would cause the signal to drop, or even drop out.

I chose the Speck Pixelskin HD, bumper (non Apple). Its very smart, very well made and very effective. Its turned a slippery glass item into something that's very tactile, and has eliminated the signal issue, that frankly, was a design and engineering disaster. OK, the downside is that its changed the delicious looks of the Iphone, but has measurably improved the usability of the device. ( I only bought the iphone when the bumper solution was announced)

I hate all things Apple and Jobsian with a passion, but the Iphone is too good, from a users point of view, to be ignored.
The bumper also holds the glass from surfaces so should protect the glass front/back when the phone is placed on something.

I do wonder about this signal thing. 3G signals can be unreliable and the cells are a lot smaller than GSM/2G and shrink and grow as the number of users changes.

I live in an area where Vodafone says we have a good 3G signal. But we don't really. When I questioned this lately they eventually said it can be hit and miss and that 2G was a lot better. If I force my Nokia e51 to GSM only (it has no data anyway) I get better signal strength at home for sure.

Another downside of poor signal strength of 3G is the phone will up the power of the antenna and run the battery down flat overnight.

Now iPhones are nice and the GUI very easy to get on with.... but aren't Android's more flexible? Especially with Android 2.2 aka Froya (short for Frozen Yoghurt) with Flash 10.1 support. It improves on Android 2.1 (Eclair) and certainly better than 1.6 (Donut) and 1.5 (Cupcake)... you can't make up the names!
I had misgivings about the lack of Flash on the Iphone.

It is however a bit of a non issue. BBC Iplayer has an Iphone version, as does catchup tv, Sky News, BBC News, YouTube, etc etc.

In three months, its never hit me as an issue.
I bet you miss the ads on sites like this and HJ though ;-)

I thought I'd like an iPhone 4 (even knowing the antenna issue and maybe choosing not to use one)... but not sure it will do all I want. For one I want to sync it with both my laptop (Windows 7) for calendar and contacts but also with my Mac (also calendar and contacts and music/video). Wirelessly if possibly too.... leads me to think Android.
I synch all mine through a new Gmail account I set up. Its also syncing mail from all the other accounts I have (Tiscali*, Hotmail, Ymail, Gmail) Most corporates now have Iphones on the fleet and they synch ok with exchange and notes servers.

* Tiscali - one way only.
 Car4play on an iPhone - Crankcase
There's a lot of chatter on the Vodafone forum about ios 4.x causing signal problems with iPhone 3GS/4, and a number of people have done tests with swapping sim cards about, trying different phones etc.

The bottom line from that is there appears to be an issue with signal loss that is specific to Vodafone and the above models/ios versions, and no cure in sight.

Certainly my corporate 3GS, which is on Vodafone, is utterly useless at getting 3G and the battery lasts six femtoseconds maximum.
My lad works for Vodaphone. He has an Iphone 4 (he dumped the HTC desire due to battery issues), and denies he has heard of this (he would though wouldn't he)

What is fact is that I am on O2, he is on Vodaphone, he is in the same room as me and we have identical 3G signal db on our Iphone 4.1's
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 19:01
 Car4play on an iPhone - Crankcase
Well I appreciate it's all entirely anecdotal, but the Unhappy Bunnies live here:

forum.vodafone.co.uk/forum/72-apple-iphone-3g-and-3gs/

Specifically in the No Service/Searching/Intermittent Service thread. i know it says 3GS as the device, but there are (towards the end) some 4 users too.

I don't put much weight on internet chatter but I don't think Vodafone can be unaware, or at least not the forum moderators, who you would think would pass this stuff on.
Easy to explain really. The Iphone is a little deafer than an HTC, or specially a Nokia.

There does however, appear to be a new issue with 4.1, where when you loose a signal, its lost for good till you power it off then on. Never happened to me before the 4.1 update, and I am on O2. Its happened to me once on 4.1

I have no axe to grind or favour Vodaphone over O2, but the mobile phone world does generate a lot of rivalry noise, move to the O2 fora and you will find just as much angst and outrage.

The technical side to my brain says that logically there should be nothing in a phone that favours one GSM operator over another when both use the same frequency band and standards. The logical side to my brain also expects to find differences in signal strength for each operator in any given location.

Practical experience also indicates to me that the operators do go through periods of congestion and cockups depending on how well the sales team have been knocking out the handsets. O2 for example couldn't cope with the data bandwidth that struck them when all the Iphones sold with unlimited data plans arrived on their patch.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 19:47
 Car4play on an iPhone - spamcan61
Then there's the various network mergers going on making life even more complicated than usual.
For 3G I was told (by Vodafone technical so probably a load of tosh) they can share other networks masts. But if that network cell then gets busy with the owning operator's users you will get bumped off it. So maybe if you live in an area with a lot of 3G phones in use you're going to have problems.

If it's just calls and Internet access via wifi you use, then switch to 2G/GSM on the phone. But you lose out on faster Internet when out and about unless you switch back to UMTS.
Indeed, that's causing pain and angst to the old Torange people being migrated to "everything Everywhere" The network sharing is phased both by area and user leading to howls of favouritism and conspiracy.

The mobile phonites can be a rabid pack of howling wolfgeeks.
And that merger is even more complicated because for 3G doesn't this involve 3 in the UK as well?
>> And that merger is even more complicated because for 3G doesn't this involve 3 in
>> the UK as well?
>>
Yes, I've lost track with what's happening to 3's 3G network in all this amalgamation.
>> Practical experience also indicates to me that the operators do go through periods of congestion
>> and cockups depending on how well the sales team have been knocking out the handsets.
>> O2 for example couldn't cope with the data bandwidth that struck them when all the
>> Iphones sold with unlimited data plans arrived on their patch.
>>
There's also an issue with 3G in that there's lots of people now with 'always on' connections checking their email and twitter status every 10 minutes; this means that the network has to cope with lots and lots of small data exchanges rather than a few big ones. Many networks were not set up to operate in this manner, and so are having to be re-configured to cope.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Sep 10 at 01:07
Crankcase, it's not only an Apple problem. I think in some areas Vodafone have a 3G problem. I found the nearest 3G mast in my area and stopped next to it. The phone didn't use that mast! Maybe Vodafone are in denial?
>> Crankcase, it's not only an Apple problem. I think in some areas Vodafone have a
>> 3G problem. I found the nearest 3G mast in my area and stopped next to
>> it. The phone didn't use that mast! Maybe Vodafone are in denial?
>>

If you're literally underneath the mast you might not get much signal from it; the RF signal is fairly directional (sort of like a lighthouse) and probably won't give much signal level close to the mast, unless there are buildings nearby to reflect it.
The point I was making was being real close to the mast for Vodafone means you still don't get to use it for some reason. I think it's on top of a church spire judging where ofcom says it is so maybe the church turned it off ;-)
Well I updated my Iphone 3g to Ios 4.1.

Performance has improved over 4.01 no doubt, but its still not as snappy as 3.1.3 was on this phone. It seems the only way to downgrade it back to 3.1.3 is to jailbreak it.
That's unfair fi true (but very Apple!).

I am toying with getting an iPhone 4 or an Android phone (possibly a Samsung Galaxy S 16Gb)... heart says iPhone 4 even knowing there are theoretical problems. Head starting to say Android because it's more customisable, e.g. home screen widgets.

The things that's pushing me towards Android at the moment is sync of calendar and contacts with Outlook. I don't want to have to plug in the iPhone to the work laptop to sync my calendar... everything else sync's on my iMac via iTunes.

An option might be to sync my Outlook to a gmail account and that sync's with the Mac but it's messy.
Rob keep me posted on your though processes here!
Come Nov/Dec I will be changing my phone - head says iphone as everyone says how good it is and I must keep up with the Joneses.

Heart says stay with Nokia like I have had for the last few years. Yes its good to have all these apps but are they not the new foot spa, bread maker, juicer etc in that they were the thing to have but after a while you realise you don't use them!

Synching with Outlook for contacts, calendar etc is a must for me. The Nokia N95 does it very well.
I am fed up with how my Nokia works.... I can see a new thread may become appropriate.

One feature that's almost a must for me is the ability to view my calendar/to-do at a glance. On the iPhone this is not possible although a widget can show calendar on the locked screen. I'd like that on the home screen. So with a free or cheap widget on Android, Android 1 and iPhone 0. And Symbian/Nokia 1 iPhone 0 too.

And then we move on sync of contacts... my main diary and contacts is my works laptop Exchange/Outlook access.... with an iPhone I would have to plug the iPhone into the laptop to sync via iTunes.... apart from losing the auto sync via Bluetooth I have now* it is a problem because I'd want to sync music, podcasts and video from the iMac.... not possible.

Thirdly, to get my MP4 videos into the iPhone (well might be different but talking of the iPod touch here really) means I transcode the MP4's to a lower quality to get into iTunes to then sync. Easier to drag and drop the files directly using Explorer/Finder surely and then only one copy.

Don't get me wrong, played with a few iPhone 4's recently and the thing is really nice. But for me it might not work. If it was for use with a single PC or Mac and work's Exchange didn't come into it, it might be an easier decision.

My brother went through a similar thought/choice process and got an Android but he's technical like me. He's since looked at an iPod and preferes Android over iOS4.

* I also sync the same phone to the iMac via Bluetooth... all three diaries/contacts in sync.
>> Yes its good to have all these apps but...

I've got a lot of 'iPhone' apps on the iPod touch and they are real useful. Instead of trying to use a website on a small screen then you can use, for example:

- Sky+ guide to programme the SKy box (when not at home)
- Sky Sports
- The Trainline.com
- the list is actually quite long....

The curve ball is the Android tablets on the way in various sizes.
>> I've got a lot of 'iPhone' apps on the iPod touch and they are real
>> useful. Instead of trying to use a website on a small screen then you can
>> use, for example:
>>
>> - Sky+ guide to programme the SKy box (when not at home)
>> - Sky Sports
>> - The Trainline.com
>> - the list is actually quite long....

Frankly tablets I feel are of little use. The offer little useability over netbooks, hard to type on at speed, and uncomfortable on the lap and too heavy for holding in one hand for any length of time.

Like RTJ, the best apps are those that provide web like info.

The F1 living timing app, BBC news App, Met office app, Train line, Sky sports, eurosports,

and the apps for use when mobile - ie location services,
Maps backed up by the GPS, Highways agency, around me (a where is my nearest cafe, pub, resturant, taxi, hotel etc etc etc)

Funnily when it comes to mail, notes, contacts, diary and stuff it works best with a gmail account.

I have an office compatible suite and drop box (a system for synching files over the web with any pc)
 Car4play on an iPhone - ....
I have a 3GS with OS4.
Couldn't say I would recommend one. Like you say font all over the place on various forums, phone doesn't actually start ringing until the caller has heard five rings so you have to change the duration of divert to VM otherwise everytime you answer no one is there no matter how quick you are and if you load two different Artists with a "Best of" album it mixes the tracks up.
Can't wait for the real hackers to have a pop at the Apple OS.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 19:13
Bobby, you asked the same question ages ago and the consensus was this site does not work on the Nokia web browser. Opera will get it working. It crashes on my E51 too.

Works okay on an iPod Touch. And mind is getting on a bit now - I got it when they came out (was it 2007?)... so now we have the 4th gen and mine is a lowly 1st gen.... Toying with the idea of either an iPhone 4 or an Android (so either a Unix or Linux phone then).
If you go for an iPhone Rob keep the backups current. I've been back to out of the box twice in the three months I've had it.
Lovely piece of kit when it's working...the rest you already know from working in IT.
 Car4play on an iPhone - AshT
I've got an N95 Bobby, which was given to me when the battery on my Sony died. C4P works very well with Opera on the N95 - not tried the built in browser though as I really like Opera mobile and use it for all my browsing on the mobile.
had my iphone 4 for two months, been as stable as a rock, not had to do a single back to basics on it.
Well now posting from my phone via Opera from guess where . . . .
 Car4play on an iPhone - Skoda
N95 was the last good phone Nokia did. I really like that phone.

Used to strap it to R/C planes and fly it over strathclyde park for the video footage from around the legal max 400ft cough cough honest :-P Cracking views out as far as Larkhall (not a nice town per se but the bit between hamilton and larkhall is...).

N97, complete tosh.

iPhone - have never looked back since, tried so hard to avoid buying one too. Android is tosh too.
Skoda I believe you when you say thats what you were filming down Strathy park!
I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine!

... not been listening to Chess all night, honest ...
 Car4play on an iPhone - DP
>> Android is tosh too.
>>
No it isn't. Gets better and better with every release. 2.1 onwards lacks nothing compared to the iPhone, and many reviews place the latest Android handsets equal to, or better than the iPhone 4.

When all is said and done, there are pros and cons to both, but I went Android, and apart from the odd app, don't consider Android the poor relation. It's slick, fast, stable, and I get a choice of hardware, completely free.choice of service provider. I'm also free to install anything I like without jailbreaking.

You pays yer money as they say.
2.1 is good, and has a lot of great apps but its poor at controlling multitasking (you end up with apps consuming battery power that you dont know about) and some of the apps on the app store are postively dangerous.

As you say pay your money - take your choiuce.

I chose Iphone 4 over the HTC desire.

Edit

Oh the user interface on the iphone is so slick and the useability is superb,
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 23:09
That's interesting as most of our techs have gone HTC over iPhone. Hmmm time will tell. Me I just want something that'll ring when someone calls me.
>> That's interesting as most of our techs have gone HTC over iPhone.

Thats the trouble with techs, they never think like users.
>> >> That's interesting as most of our techs have gone HTC over iPhone.
>>
>> Thats the trouble with techs, they never think like users.
>>

OK a quick survey in the office today amongst us 4G network designers*

IPhone 4 - 0

IPhone 3GS - 3

HTC - 3

SE X10 (full fat) - 2

Various non smart phones - 5

*OK we're hardly a random sample but meet the 'tech' bit

No I wouldn't put most techs in charge of UI design that's for sure.
A techs idea of a user interface is a command line and a blinking curser.
>> A techs idea of a user interface is a command line and a blinking curser.

And what exactly is the problem with that!! In 40 odd years many interfaces have come and gone, but if you want to get something done...

:-P

$ mkdir -p /var/tmp/.jail/{bin,dev}
$ mount -o bind /dev /var/tmp/.jail/dev
$ mv Zero !$/../bin/
$ chroot /var/tmp/.jail /bin/Zero > /dev/null 2>&1

(stuffing the Zero program in a chroot jail then redirecting all it's output to the bit bucket)
 Car4play on an iPhone - car4play
> Thats the trouble with techs, they never think like users.

Exactly.
They are the ones who hated the iPhone when it first was announced because any serious phone has to have real buttons for a keyboard.
They are the ones who slated ( ... sorry!) the iPad as crippled compared with their hi-tech notebooks.
They are the ones that predicted both would be complete failures.
 Car4play on an iPhone - DP
>> 2.1 is good, and has a lot of great apps but its poor at controlling
>> multitasking (you end up with apps consuming battery power that you dont know about)

I agree, but there are a number of apps which drastically improve this, or at least give you some insight and control over multitasking and power consumption. I'm using one currently which can track battery use by process over a period of time, display it in a nice pie chart, and then let me place restrictions on them at a process level, without affecting anything else.

Battery life is still crap, but less crap than it used to be ;-)
>> had my iphone 4 for two months, been as stable as a rock, not had
>> to do a single back to basics on it.
>>
You will give us an update when you debox it won't you ? ;)
Its even been dropped - onto quary tiled floor.

much gasps of horror all round and looks of trepidation.

completely unmarked.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 21:10
This is one of those middle class parties I've heard about where everyone is sitting on the kitchen floor loaded on Le Piat D'Or swapping post codes right ? :)
Not till we've eaten all the Ferrero Rocher, Gmac.
>> This is one of those middle class parties I've heard about where everyone is sitting
>> on the kitchen floor loaded on Le Piat D'Or swapping post codes right ? :)

yeah - thats it - its an app on the iphone you can get called bump.

or was it hump?
There's got to be an iHump app.
There's an iHumph app for selling bike racks and the such-like !
Smart casual is a pre-requsit (brown shoes and Jeans - Dave don't even consider cowboy boots) don't even think about turning up on a Ducati or some such exotica. 'specially dressed as a leather clad Ranger of some sort.
>> There's an iHumph app for selling bike racks and the such-like !

Its a rubbish app, it dont work.
Latest Forum Posts