Non-motoring > Camping F.A.O. Legacylad Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 55

Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - No FM2R
www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhinowolf/rhinowolf-20-the-all-in-one-attachable-super-tent/?utm_source=TRS_129&utm_medium=FB&utm_term=83484768-4330-4ec8-98cb-5c1c39a2858b&utm_content=TRS_129&utm_campaign=TRS
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - legacylad
Thanks for that. Never heard of the concept.
I’ll stick with my trusty 10yo Hilleberg Akto, brilliant in adverse weather conditions, and Tarptent Squall 2 for fine weather camping, although I’m currently looking for a double skinned super light backpacking tent to replace it.
For sleeping bags, and super lightweight jackets, I can’t recommend phd highly enough. Don’t mention sleep mats....despite donating several to my local Cave Rescue fund raising auctions I still own half a dozen various ThermARest, although my current fave is my Exped Synmat 7 Medium
I’ll get my anorak on the way out.......
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Lygonos
>>I'm currently looking for a double skinned super light backpacking

Lucked out a couple of years ago on sportsdirect.com

They were advertising a Force Ten Helium 2 at under £200 but the colour and picture were of the more expensive variant with carbon poles (RRP ~ £460 iirc)

Ordered it and was indeed the 1000g job.

( www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/force-ten-helium-carbon-200-tent.html - the info is wrong - it doesn't have an alloy main pole as it's carbon fibre, and it only has one door - but then I use it as a capacious one-man job so it doesn't matter)

Weighs less than my hooped bivi.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 10 Jul 19 at 22:38
Hooped Bivi.....bought one 20+ years ago for a 2 week trip backpacking trip on the cheap in Switzerland. The first 5 days were spent cooking my evening meal squatting outside it in the rain. Nightmare. Junked the idea and went hut2hut, which wasn’t cheap.
Sold it to a D of E leader.
Now considering a Dan Durston X Mid 1P. I’ve too many anoraks...
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Bobby
There's a cue for a stupid question from me - when camping are you supposed to cook insid eor out the tent?

We have only done camping twice, both times in Scotland, so we cooked inside using the travel cooker thingy and big gas cylinder. Tent is an Icarus 500 so a big stand-up-and-wa;l-around type tent.

Cooking inside - does this make me a bad person?
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - sooty123
Probably not the best idea to cook inside a tent. Fumes, flames and heat in an enclosed space with lots of flammable materials.
I always cook outside, whatever the weather.

Too much can go wrong inside.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Bobby
So how do you cook outside, like in the Outer Hebrides, when the wind and rain was coming down sideways?
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Manatee
>> So how do you cook outside, like in the Outer Hebrides, when the wind and
>> rain was coming down sideways?

That's when you eat cold beans from the tin and drink cold water!
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Zero
>> >> So how do you cook outside, like in the Outer Hebrides, when the wind
>> and
>> >> rain was coming down sideways?
>>
>> That's when you eat cold beans from the tin and drink cold water!

Thats why god invented Travelodge
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - CGNorwich

>> Thats why god invented Travelodge
>>
Would have thought a supreme being could have come up something a bit better than Travelodge.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Duncan
>>
>> >> Thats why god invented Travelodge
>> >>
>> Would have thought a supreme being could have come up something a bit better than
>> Travelodge.
>>

He did. Wetherspoons.

Wetherspoons do hotels as well as lots of pubs with well kept beer and good food at reasonable prices.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - CGNorwich
If God gave us Wetherspoons he must be pretty unhappy with us
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Bromptonaut
>> If God gave us Wetherspoons he must be pretty unhappy with us

And he gave us Tim Martin to do the deed!!
I don't understand the problem. Wetherspoons do a pretty good pint and for a lunch they've a good and reasonably varied menu. I use them often when they're convenient.
>> I don't understand the problem. Wetherspoons do a pretty good pint and for a lunch
>> they've a good and reasonably varied menu. I use them often when they're convenient.

I too find them a good place for a lunch and pint. The Lad and I had a routine of going to one at Childwall Fiveways in Liverpool whenever I was on Uni Taxi duty. Often took his Sis to one on former Wards brewery site in Sheff too. The Knight's Templar on Carey Street or the one on High Holborn close to where the London Weather Centre once was were always good for work get togethers. The Henry Seagrave in Southport is an reasonable walk from the Caravan and Motorhome Club site and even OK for breakfast.

Tim Martin on the other hand......
>> The Knight's Templar on Carey Street
>>

Wetherspoons pedant. It's actually on Chancery Lane. I was in there last week.

tinyurl.com/h3jxupf
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - hjd
>> >> The Knight's Templar on Carey Street
>> >>
>>
>> Wetherspoons pedant. It's actually on Chancery Lane. I was in there last week.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/h3jxupf
>>
I was in there a month ago, attending a wedding reception. Speeches were temporarily disrupted whilst the naked bike ride passed by in all its glory.
They had/have a special deal for Saturday weddings - 100 guests, use of the premises, all food and drink for £3,000. Much cheaper than most venues.
Ladies' loos are also pretty impressive.

>> Ladies' loos are also pretty impressive.
>>

That was mentioned.

Me? I used the gents.
>> >> The Knight's Templar on Carey Street
>> >>
>>
>> Wetherspoons pedant. It's actually on Chancery Lane. I was in there last week.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/h3jxupf

You're absolutely right. Although it has entrances on both streets it's the former Chancery Lane/Law Courts branch of National Westminster Bank, possibly number 95.

I banked there personally for a while and we also used to pay the money from the office fees account in there when I worked in the Lands Tribunal.
>> >> tinyurl.com/h3jxupf
>>
>> You're absolutely right. Although it has entrances on both streets it's the former Chancery Lane/Law
>> Courts branch of National Westminster Bank, possibly number 95.
>>
>> I banked there personally for a while and we also used to pay the money
>> from the office fees account in there when I worked in the Lands Tribunal.

The Wetherspoons website (link above) says it used to be the Union Bank. Is that the same thing?
>> The Wetherspoons website (link above) says it used to be the Union Bank. Is that
>> the same thing?

Yes, via a century worth of bank mergers. I suspect whoever wrote the guff for Wetherspoons didn't research in much depth.

A bit of googling suggests Union Bank was a constituent of the National and Provincial Bank which merged with the Westminster Bank c1969 to form National Westminster.

It's fairly common for bank premises to have stone carvings or whatever showing name of bank that originally commissioned the building. The Nat West on the Drapery in Northampton has the words Northamptonshire Union Bank cut into a stone beam below the roofline.

goo.gl/maps/xkTYyhvGfUiVCqjw9 (streetview)

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 11:15
>> >> I don't understand the problem. Wetherspoons do a pretty good pint and for a
>> lunch
>> >> they've a good and reasonably varied menu. I use them often when they're convenient.
>>
>> I too find them a good place for a lunch and pint.

And there is the problem, its the other clientele I have an issue with. < VBG >

Seriously? yes its often full of drunks getting the cheapest pint possible, the choice of brews is often limited by Tims current rants, and the food is generally of the barely edible variety. I avoid spoons to the extent if its the only place for a drink and food, I wont bother.

I do however applaud whoever is in charge of their real estate portfolio and policy. They imaginatively choose buildings of local historical or architectural merit, and convert them in a sympathetic style.

>> And there is the problem, its the other clientele I have an issue with. <
>> VBG >

I think that's true in some locations of which the recently closed Moon on the Square in Northampton was one. It's regular customers seemed to be on a roation between there and the adjacent bookies.

Certainly not the case at The Knight's Templar mentioned previously or the other two in 'mid town' or Legal London, Penderel's Oak in High Holborn or The Shakespeare's Head in Kingsway. Customers there are lawyers and their staff and other office workers.

The food is what it is, basic pub fare. I don't think a 'spoons steak and chips is any different to those served in other places. My son and his g/f can always find a veggie/vegan offering to satisfy. It's not a restaurant and does not pretend to be.

Not been aware of draft beer choice being affected by Tim's views but 'spoons is probably not somewhere I'd choose continental lager.

>> The food is what it is, basic pub fare. I don't think a 'spoons steak
>> and chips is any different to those served in other places.

Steak is best avoided in any regular pub. They simply don't have the skills, facilities, and raw product to serve a good one at that pub price point.
>> Steak is best avoided in any regular pub. They simply don't have the skills, facilities,
>> and raw product to serve a good one at that pub price point.

I can certainly do a much better one at home even just using supermarket steak. You can also get a much better steak in a restaurant or gastropub but not at the Wetherspoons price point.

The 'spoons product is perfectly edible though and pretty consistent between sites.
>> And there is the problem, its the other clientele I have an issue with. <
>> VBG >

What's VBG?
a Very Big Grin
>> Would have thought a supreme being could have come up something a bit better than
>> Travelodge.

Premier Inn??
>> >> Would have thought a supreme being could have come up something a bit better
>> than
>> >> Travelodge.
>>
>> Premier Inn??

Wont take dogs.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - sooty123
>>

That's why hotels were invented. Or if your so inclined to tents use those boil in the bag things/MRE type things.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 11 Jul 19 at 20:43

>> That's why hotels were invented. Or if your so inclined to tents use those boil
>> in the bag things/MRE type things.

Talking of MRE, check out this blokes youtube channel.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

Specially when he samples WW1 rations! Well Allright....

Quickly.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Netsur
Cooking inside can cause build up of carbon monoxide, not a great idea.
>> I always cook outside, whatever the weather.
>>
>> Too much can go wrong inside.

Depends on size of tent I think. We camped with kids in Khyam Ridgidome XXL.

tinyurl.com/y5x4n9d3

Set up 'kitchen' to right just inside door which was always open if we were cooking. Only scary moments were once when gas flared and another when frying steak and fat flared.
A scary moment is a disaster but for the grace of God.

We camp a lot and I would never cook in the tent. It's simply asking for trouble.
>> A scary moment is a disaster but for the grace of God.

It was a big tent and if we were cooking all of us bar the cook were outside.

Major risk in cooking indoors is CO, open door and air gap under outer tent minimised risk. If flare caught tent's outer we'd might have been 'homeless' but had cash/insurance for nights in hotel.

Scariest thing in tent was when we were zipped up for night but using a Camping Gaz light. Ventilation was adequate because of air gap under fly sheet. Mrs B was reading bedtime story to kids when folding bench/table collapsed under her. Lamp went flying but hot spots missed tent outer - just burned a disc out of the groundsheet.

Made us think though.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Lygonos
Using a gas cooker in a big tent (ie one with separate living and sleeping areas) is fine as long as you are capable of slinging a gas canister plus hose out the door if something does badly wrong (to be fair it is more likely with the wee folding portable flexi-hose jobs than a family sized unit).

NEVER use a disposable BBQ in a tent as they chuck out carbon monoxide like a boss.
>> NEVER use a disposable BBQ in a tent as they chuck out carbon monoxide like
>> a boss.

Lots of campaign posters on UK campsites to draw attention to that risk.
>> >> I always cook outside, whatever the weather.
>> >>
>> >> Too much can go wrong inside.
>>
>> Depends on size of tent I think. We camped with kids in Khyam Ridgidome XXL.

I have a Khyam Screendome for dog shows (its the defacto shelter of choice at dog shows), it "hooks on" to the end of the beemer, erects in about 2 minutes, and the fact you have roll up sides leaving mesh screens means that fumes from your egg and bacon on the camping gas stove escape easily, and you dont get wet if its raining.

Wouldnt catch me sleeping in it tho. Given that now I am a qualified judge means I may have to do full weekend stints, so I may get a caravan. One of these in fact .

www.swiftbasecamp.co.uk/
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Jul 19 at 11:48
A colleague managed to borrow a Screendome for the work display at Northampton Carnival after the original gazebo was destroyed by unseasonable wind. Did the job admirably.

As a proper tent with an inner and groundsheet the Quick Erect Rigidome was brilliant. We had two over about 15 years. Went up in minutes, none of the faffing with yards of pole to be inserted into acres of fabric. As soon as the kids were big enough to help we had an 'SOP' for arrival on site where we each held on to a corner until we'd got it in place. Then once tri-guys were in and it was secured I carried on pegging out, Mrs B and daughter sorted the groundsheets while The Lad unloaded the car.

The dog can have one too:

www.khyam.co.uk/tents-c174/pole-system-c177/q-e-quick-erect-c178/k9-dog-tent-p16

Saw the wee caravan you're looking at at the NEC camping show last autumn. Too small for us and not right internal layout but for what you envisage, or in support of cycling solo, it would be brilliant.
I always cook outside my tent if the weather is favourable. If lashing down I crawl into my pit and have my stove in the extension....bear in mind these are small one man backpacking tents.
And when you say ‘cooking’ it’s simply boiling water in my MSR Titan pan on my MSR Pocket Rocket. Pour boiling water into Mountain Trails pouch, fold over and leave the hot water to ‘cook’ the dehydrated food.
Mountain Trails dehydrated foods are some of the better ones available. Alternatively it’s a tin of sardines on Ryvita.
Life on the edge...
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 12 Jul 19 at 22:12
Holy thread revival....

We've had a request for a lend of our small tent.

It's a Saunders Spacepacker from around 1990. Apparently they're a bit of a rarity these days but well appreciated:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixogpEC-GtY&ab_channel=TheWalkingKev

Just popped it up in the garden and it still goes up in under 5 minutes. Fly, supported by a single shock corded pole, goes up first then clip/peg in the inner. We used it for a cycle camping holiday in 1990 and once or twice afterwards. The last was in 1992 when Mrs B was 5 months pregnant with our daughter.

Kids have used it occasionally as a 'Pup Tent' on family camping holidays. When I got it out it had a tag on from pup use in 2014 at a Forestry Commission site in the New Forest so probably last time it was used.

Borrower is a female friend of my son. We've known her since she was 11 so I think she can be trusted with it.

Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - John Boy
>> Borrower is a female friend of my son. We've known her since she was 11
>> so I think she can be trusted with it.
>>
Have you checked to see if she's advertised it on AirBnB?
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - tyrednemotional
...did several weeks backpacking in the Pyrenees in the early 70's with a borrowed Saunders Backpacker II. Very, very lightweight, but definitely up to the job.

Given I tended mainly to use a tent as a base, rather than backpacking (so weight wasn't the biggest issue), that was followed by me purchasing a Vango Mk3 Std from Carters in Reading (RIP) (again, in the 70's). That has had a lot of service over the years, and other than being a little faded (the colour restores a bit if it is re-proofed) is still going strong to this day, and has been used by friends and family as a very stable unit in all weathers.

I've moved on to a motorhome, of course ;-) (Much like Bromp has moved on to a caravan).
Younkers seem to think it's the norm to leave your tent behind these days, make sure there's no misunderstanding:)

We still have a French branded two person ridge type with sewn-in groundsheet and extended flysheet that we must have had for about 45 years. Still does the job, last used for one night in Norfolk in about 2018. We had to renew all the elastic bands which almost all snapped in the test erection.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 22 Jul 22 at 16:53
...Andre Jamet...?
>> ...Andre Jamet...?

I believe it is. Couldn't bring it to mind, except it began with J.
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - Runfer D'Hills
Good job you had the test erection then. All manner of grief could have occurred in such a confined space if you hadn’t…

Well, you’d think anyway…
...do you think you could still break the elastic bands....
I guess I could, can’t speak for anyone else of course…
 Camping F.A.O. Legacylad - smokie
I have one of these www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPe6ZfSRjk and also a smaller version of same, bought quite a few years back from the US and used sparingly, for the odd motor race or music weekend.

I can still get it up quick enough when required though once a year is about the norm now. :-)

>> I guess I could, can’t speak for anyone else of course…

Well you have proved you can break a few bits.........
Kind of you to say, but it’s really quite low level stuff in reality. I’ve never managed anything that resulted in the need for a hip replacement. Certainly not in a tent anyway…
>> ...do you think you could still break the elastic bands....

Not without spraining something, the old ones were very perished;)
In the pub tonight ( free beer, it’s my birthday) two friends are backpacking the walkers Haute Route late August. Chamonix to Zermatt. They’re only a few years younger than I, but far far fitter...the archetypal mr and Mrs action man. Super light tarp tent but staying in huts if the weather is poor.

It’s quite a few years since I walked the HR.....the old established, slightly shabby hotel I regularly used in Zermatt is now a trendy boutique place.

Can’t wait to get back to wild camping...Wales Coast Path, sections of the GR5 to name but two. A pal of mine is currently working his way down the coast from Montenegro and is now in Albania via the highest peak in Kosovo. He tells me that Bosnia was a no go area. He’s a real adventurer, travels solo, and should make a film of his travels.
Latest Forum Posts