Non-motoring > C4P active list, last new joiners, when? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 70

C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - FotheringtonTomas
a) How many people are "active" on C4P?

b) When did the last "new" person join?

c) How many "new" joiners (non-HJ) have there been since inception?

My guesses:

a) 30
b) 6 weeks ago.
c) 3
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Iffy
....how many people are active...30?...

How sad am I?

I've spent the last 15 minutes compiling this list:

Me, smokie, rattle, PU, VX Fan, FT, Zero, Armel Coussine, Focus, Fenlander, Falkirk Bairn, Bobby G, Dave TD, Marc, paulb, Bellboy, Perky Penguin, Silence of the Cams, Old Navy, Gordon Bennet, Stunorthants, Alistair W, Big Bad Dave, Humph, pmh, soupytwist, DeeW, Badwolf, Bromptonaut, Espada, Dave, corax, Henry K, Steel Spark, Robin Regal, Too Slow, Borasport, mapmaker, tyro, Duncan, L'escargot, WilldeBeest, rtj70, John H, Another John H, devonite, Fullchat, Midlifecrisis, Westpig, CGNorwich, Mr Tee43, apm, Dulwich Estate, Cliff Pope, Chris Peugeot, leagacylad, Dog, Movilogo, Ian(Cape Town) NickinNZ, Martin Devon, AndyP, Cheddar, Stuartli, Capt Flack, oldnotbold, ClkSec, SpamCan, retpocileh, red viper, Everest Pete, teabelly, bigtee, Pat pda, buddy, Robbie 34, alfa floor.

That's about 100 names, there will be a few missing, so I reckon there are about 150 active members, and a lot more that read regularly but seldom post.

Not sure what, if anything, my research proves.

Other than the fact there are enough posters out there to maintain my interest in this forum.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 11:52
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - R.P.
About the size of it - we need some new members so if you can help - recruit some !
...About the size of it - we need some new members...

I've often wondered if there is an ideal size for an internet forum.

If there were thousands of us posting regularly, the whole thing would be too big and unwieldy, with individual posters feeling lost.

Yet if there were only a handful of new posts a day, the forum would be too dull to bother with.

A big part of the fun is getting to know a little bit about the regulars.

I'm guessing, but I think it would be overwhelming if there were many more than four or five hundred posts per day in a single forum.

What does C4P run at currently?

About 250 each in motoring and non-motoring, a lot fewer in technical and computers.

By the way, apologies to Mike Hannon, one of no doubt many names I missed off my regulars list.
Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 12:05
As I said before at HJ I used to reckon on 225 postings a day - we seem to hit that most days and quite a lot more on other days e.g. there were over 400 the other day. We need fresh blood though.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Mapmaker
>> As I said before at HJ I used to reckon on 225 postings a day
>> - we seem to hit that most days and quite a lot more on othe days

Of course on HJ they were 250 motoring posts, here there is much thread drift. Without the thread drift this place might feel less friendly/useful.

>>e.g. there were over 400 the other day. We need fresh blood though.

It's interesting, isn't it. This place actually works rather well with the numbers we have. I thought it would die very rapidly - owing to the lack of people turning up with a proper motoring query, and the odd one staying. Very different sort of atmosphere.

How do we get up the google ranks? searching uk motoring discussion forum the first car4play hit is on page 3, which is a link to HJ...

biznut.co.uk/www.car4play.com suggests fewer than 20 daily visitors, but I don't believe that.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Clk Sec
>> we need some new members so if you can help - recruit some !

What about placing a few adverts - motoring magazines, Saga, etc?

I might be prepared to part with a few pennies for such a worthy cause!
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Dog
>>What about placing a few adverts - motoring magazines, Saga, etc?<<

Yeah, we could even send a few leaflets to age concern and help the aged as well :-D
>>Saga

It was with you in mind...
>>It was with you in mind...<<

Your consideration Re: the old and infirm is overwhelming, Sir.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Perky Penguin
I put something on my Facebook page. re try this site, and it either got lost or was deleted by the Mods! Our forum seems to be a lot busier in the Non-Motoring section than the other place or our own Motoring and Tech sections
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - FotheringtonTomas
Referring to the OP, it looks as though we've got:

a) How many people are "active" on C4P?

About 100.

b) When did the last "new" person join?

There haven't been any.

c) How many "new" joiners (non-HJ) have there been since inception?

I expect Dog is canvassing his Cornish neighbours as we speak.

:-)
>>I expect Dog is canvassing his Cornish neighbours as we speak.<<

As I sed on another fred, both my next door neighbs are in the motor trade so they could well be here already,

What we used to do when I was with 'Hometune', was to hire a hot hair ballon festooned with Hometune Mobile Car Engine Tuning - we come to you, and launch it above motoring related events + give out leaflets and demo's,
I went up in one once, I wouldn't recommend it though :(
...Your consideration Re: the old and infirm is overwhelming, Sir...

Dog, are you in ankle-biting mode today?

I think Clk Sec was only floating an idea.

But this being an internet forum, the first reply is a negative one.

Sniping is only going to put off existing members.
Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 14:45
>>Sniping is only going to put off existing members.<<

1000 apologies effendi, it was said/written with much jest,
why I'm as fit as any Stradivarius half my age :)
...1000 apologies effendi, it was said/written with much jest,...

And then there's all the members who leave due to misunderstandings. :)
I think we all understand each other ifih, we certainly know a lot about each other, mostly,
but of course to 'outsiders/incomers, well - you're right to point that out my friend,
So, when are we going to launch the hot air balloon then :-)

Nowt like a little friendly banter.

>>So, when are we going to launch the hot air balloon then :-)

The Saga advert might be more cost effective.

- - ->The Saga advert might be more cost effective.<- - -

But, not as much ... fun?
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - VxFan
>> How do we get up the google ranks? searching uk motoring discussion forum the first
>> car4play hit is on page 3,

Try searching motoring forum instead.

RAC motoring forum is 1st, then HJ 2nd, and C4P 3rd.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - CGNorwich
I think the problem facing this forum is that what the existing members like is the club like atmosphere and the banter. For someone finding this forum for the first time I suspect that the opposite the case and they find it rather off putting. If you don't know the background some of the threads must be incomprehensible.

Don't know what the answer is - its sort of a catch-22 situation. Change the forum and you will lose existing members. Leave it as it is and I don't think you will see many recruits.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Zero
>> Don't know what the answer is - its sort of a catch-22 situation. Change the
>> forum and you will lose existing members. Leave it as it is and I don't
>> think you will see many recruits.

the answer is to have a section within for the old stagers and members and any who want to join in. Much the way we abuse the non-motoring now.

Or if you recruit like minded individuals - if there are such beasts of course.
>> Or if you recruit like minded individuals - if there are such beasts of course.

are there sufficient beasts.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 17:47
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - MD
>> the answer is to have a section within for the old stagers and members and
>> any who want to join in. Much the way we abuse the non-motoring now.
>>
I hate to say it, but the old Geezer is right again.

MD
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - BobbyG
Mods, when was the last time you had to edit or delete a post due to it breaking site rules?
Very few and far between - Perestroika and Glastnost etc..
I've had Smirnoff Blue , but not those.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Dave_
>> recruit like minded individuals - if there are such beasts of course

I've recommended C4P to half-a-dozen friends/family, but so far none of them have taken up membership (to my knowledge at least). I don't think they're "forum" people, if you know what I mean.

As a lay internet user, when I try looking at other fora - whether specific ones for Ford Zetec engines or general ones as part of other websites - they seem pretty impenetrable compared to this one.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Bigtee
What we need is more women to post and get there side of things rather than mainly blokes.

Just out of interest how many women are memebers?
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Bigtee
Has this site been put on Facebook?

If not why not?
>> Has this site been put on Facebook?

Yes, I started a group 6 months ago here: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=323915077390

It's got 7 members.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - DP
8 now. :-)
>> 8 now. :-)

Half as many as the page for the BR then! And the last person to post on that page was, er, me. Nearly a year ago.
some anonymous oik has joined, lets see if mappy can find out anything about him!
...lets see if mappy can find out anything about him!...

Yes, and I hope mappy gives me, I mean him, a ring, because I've got no friends, no, I mean the anonymous oik might not have any friends.

yes if you, I mean he, had a focus cc you, I mean him, would want to remain annoymous as well.
...Yes, I started a group 6 months ago...

Well done, Dave.

I don't understand Facebook, but I do understand it's good to be on it if you want to promote something.

Should we be on Twitter as well?

I don't understand that, either.

C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Bellboy
you wont get me twittering on facebook-
>> Should we be on Twitter as well?

Er, we are... twitter.com/car4play

and twitter.com/motoring_forum

They were both set up very early on. Not by me this time, either.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - spamcan61
>> 8 now. :-)
>>

Make that 9 :-) Not a bad percentage increase for one evening!
I put a message on my "Wall" this morning, linking to this site, but it will only be seen by my friends ie about 40 people and many of them abroad. One twitters on twitter BB!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 19:39
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - BiggerBadderDave
I just checked out the facebook page. Who's going to admit to being Geoff Morgan? Is it you Zero?
...Who's going to admit to being Geoff Morgan? Is it you Zero?...

Ask Geoff what he thinks of boots and you'll find out.

Not me, But I am sure geoff thinks you look a complete divot in your cowboy boots as well.
Is Smokie not a Geoff??
I think you're right Bobby. No smokie without fire.
dave are you trying for a record number of references to fire in one day? :-)
Maybe but Geoff isn't the market I'm aiming for. Even in that dress.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - rtj70
I think this shows why Facebook can be a bad thing. Being on a forum is fairly anonymous.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 20:48
I'm lost.

two facebook from some of the things I hear.
thats the thing about facebook. You very quickly can lose your privacy or anonymity.
In its early days one of my managers was able to tell me what my kids had done that weekend. I immediately changed all the privacy settings etc but even still on a forum you can be relatively anonymous. Start welcoming strangers as your friends and things can get out of control very quickly.
Lets face it some names have disappeared over the years, they may have died or be in jail now for mass murder. We dont know and that is the beauty of this forum.
In my opinion anyway . . .
I have no entry on facebook, or a tweet page, I have a linkmein profile but thats purely an IT masons lodge.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 22:15
...thats the thing about facebook. You very quickly can lose your privacy or anonymity...

I don't claim to understand facebook, but I know someone who was using it happily enough for a while, but them began to get some nasty comments.

She tried to erase her facebook presence, but was told it couldn't be done.

The only option seemed to be to walk away and not look at it again.

C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Bromptonaut
I was happy to join the facebook group but drew the line at adding members to my friends list.

Forums are anonymous, all of my facebook friends are people I've at the very least met. Without any intention of offending I prefer to keep it that way.
One can't erase one's Facebook entry but it can be de-activated ie made invisible. They keep the details in case you want to come back later in your life.
>>One can't erase one's Facebook entry but it can be de-activated ie made invisible<<

I woz on Facebook but gave it the el bow some time ago, just Googled me and I don't exist (as I suspected!)
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - smokie
Yes, I AM that Geoff... :-)
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - RattleandSmoke
This why I haven't joined the facebook page. I have met a few members in real life but anybody who knows my full name and what I do for living could quickly get my home address and thats why I keep out of any C4P and facebook stuff.

I do use Facebook an awful lot but it has a place and purpose. I certainly don't want my friends knowing about this place. Sometimes like I to moan about things which I don't want my friends finding out about!
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - movilogo
Forums like this work best when members remain anonymous. This gives everyone equal weightage. Once you reveal your real name, marital status, kids, race, income, occupation etc. people tend to jump into wrong conclusions about you and discussions often turn personal.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Pat
I agree Movi, I was a little surprised to see a forum members full name posted on here, what is an anonymous forum.
Maybe that person doesn't mind so it doesn't matter.
Maybe, like myself, the email address gives the full name away, so again it doesn't matter but I would still prefer that it wouldn't happen to me.
I'm a very occasional user of facebook, mainly for family in far away places, and would rather keep it that way.

Pat
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Netsur
I don't facebook or anything else like that. My only interaction with other people on the internet is here. People could get a detailed idea about me, but only in terms of my business persona - something which I am happy to promote if appropriate.
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Mapmaker
I reckon if a poster on here wanted to kill me, they could find me. You too, Espada. It would take a serious obsessive, though!
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Stuu
Im on Facebook but I only use it to keep intouch with family and some close friends.

I cant say Im worried about anyone finding out who I am - if I didnt want that, id hide away in the house and never talk to anyone. People tie themselves in knots about revealing identity online forgetting that each day they walk outside their house, drive their car and generally go about their business, someone who wants to obtain personal info can easily do so the old fashioned way.

Luckily, nobody is the slightest bit interested in me :-)
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Skoda
>> People tie themselves in knots about revealing identity online forgetting that each day they walk outside their house, drive their car and generally go about their business

... and all traces of the activity expire. From the footprint in the dirt you left to the finger prints on the shop door handle, they all expire fairly rapidly. They're not very searchable either, well not unless you want to go around every door handle in the city collecting finger prints... bit impractical!

Online, it's different.

Be careful not to underestimate the importance of your identity. In law, it's all that you are. You owe it to yourself to be familiar with the risks.

C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - John H

>> I'm a very occasional user of facebook, mainly for family in far away places, and
>> would rather keep it that way.
>>
>> Pat
>>

advice from a yellow fellow deaf leopard fan wearing a hard hat for protection from flak:
If you value privacy, then for starters: have the above part of your post deleted from this thread, and change your email address to be something other than purely your name, and remove yourself from Facebook. That will do for starters.

A rather pertinent link to a Daily Mash article (NSFW due to occasional bad language):

bit.ly/9yKtfM

"[Facebook bosses were] forced to act after millions of users who are quite happy to write down everything about themselves and then show it to people complained that their privacy was being compromised."
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - Pat
>>advice from a yellow fellow deaf leopard fan wearing a hard hat for protection from flak<< :):)

Unfortunately I can't do any of those john, my email address and mobile phone number are the contact details for the small charity I'm involved with and as such on the printed matter and freely available.

As usual, I was the only trustee prepared to do it.

I wouldn't say I value my privacy, I just don't believe in sharing everything I do with everyone!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 16:07
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - John H
>> Unfortunately I can't do any of those john, my email address and mobile phone number
>> are the contact details for the small charity I'm involved with and as such on
>> the printed matter and freely available.
>>

I wear a white hard hat.

What's in store for Katie, Maisie, Natasha and Nathan?

Never too late to transition over to new contact details.

Your current privacy settings on facebook do not prevent anyone to view some of your and your friends' pages.
www.sophos.com/security/best-practice/facebook/

BTW, make sure you have a very strong password, as your email address is the primary ID to log on to facebook, just as it is on this forum.

At least facebook have closed this loophole
www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/facebook_name_extraction_bug/
but this one remains
www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/18/facebook_login_info_leak/

Last edited by: John H on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 16:33
 C4P active list, last new joiners, when? - rtj70
>> What's in store for Katie, Maisie, Natasha and Nathan?

Classic thread drift here....

Maisie discovers a blurred image of the chain on Ryan (someone elses photo)... confronts Nathan and her mum. Ends up leaving tonight after telling Nathan he should be worried.

Natasha... Declan finished with her after she won't come clean - he thinks Nathan killed Mark.

Nathan... Declan fires him and recruits Nicola to replace him (she doesn't want to run the pub). Suspect he buys them out of their share and takes on the business 100%.

Natasha and Nathan both leave the soap soon. Maybe she confesses.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Sep 10 at 16:52
Latest Forum Posts